Sign in to follow this  
Navig8tor

Niki Lauda DTS

This guy was bloody lucky to live this long.

Niki Lauda, Formula One legend, dies aged 70
Family pay tribute to F1 driver’s ‘unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur’

Guardian staff

Tue 21 May 2019 02.19 BST Last modified on Tue 21 May 2019 02.20 BST

Formula One legend Niki Lauda has died aged 70, his family has said.

“With deep sadness, we announce that our beloved Niki has peacefully passed away with his family on Monday,” the family said in a statement, according to the Austrian press agency.

The statement paid tribute to “his unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur” and said “his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain.

“A role model and a benchmark for all of us, he was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather away from the public, and he will be missed.”

A Formula One legend, Lauda won three world titles in 1975, 1977 and 1984 with Mercedes and Ferrari.

A near-fatal crash in 1976 left him with severe burns, but he was able to come back to the sport, winning his second world championship just a year after the accident.

1. That's pretty funny actually. 

2. You're going to Hell 

• Like 1

The car fire, 2 kidney transplants and a lung transplant. He lived longer than many expected and was a force in F-1 up until last summer. RIP

and Dorado is right. You are funny and you are going to hell. 

• Like 1

I thought he died when Steve McQueen died.....

I wondered if this was coming. Brave solid human being. Never hid his ear deformity, figured it was other peoples issue to deal with though he did wear a hat and made a bunch of dough doing it. one stubborn never say quit sob. 

20 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

61182152_10157602651856742_4384281780870447104_o.jpg

That’s been pinned on my office wall for about a decade. Gives the clients a laugh. 

• Like 3

At the Office...

FB_IMG_1558423649895.jpg

• Like 1

Sad....

3 hours ago, mad said:

That’s been pinned on my office wall for about a decade. Gives the clients a laugh. 

Thanks for posting, I went looking for that as soon as I heard the sad news.

3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

The irreverent reverence begins....

Of course! I was wondering if he was going to be cremated, Again.

• Like 2

Just now, SPORTSCAR said:

That is brutal ........AND your'e going to hell:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

:ph34r::P

4 minutes ago, mad said:

:ph34r::P

10 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

That is brutal ........AND your'e going to hell:D

Seriously, he was a drivers driver! He just loved to jump in his car and go for a burn...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Seriously, he was a drivers driver! He just loved to jump in his car and go for a burn...

Forget brutal, you are fucking ruthless,  and your'e still going to HELL:D

3 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Forget brutal, you are fucking ruthless,  and your'e still going to HELL:D

I heard he stopped smoking... in 1975

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I heard he stopped smoking... in 1975

Lucifer is gonna personally spit roast you now, drink plenty of rum, a flambé will be a merciful end.:D

Wow, pleasantly surprised he made it this long after being deep fried. Basically living roast beef for 40 odd years. We will miss you and your straight answers. 

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I hate you for making me laugh at that.

My sister lived in Italy when he was on top at Ferrari and she said he was a national hero in a way or to an extent we can't even understand over here - even though he wasn't Italian.

She said people like Lindbergh or the Apollo astronauts were the closest comparison.

I didn't remember his fire or his health problems. I just remember when he dominated F-1. I liked that he lived on his own terms. RIP

My mentor hated when people said Burn victim. He always called them patients because they are supposed to get better and get back to their lives. Lauda was definitely what he had in mind

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dorado said:

1. That's pretty funny actually. 

2. You're going to Hell 

Well i will see everyone there.In hell that is:D

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Well, everyone fun & interesting anyway.

I'd say irreverent comedy is the clearest affirmation that he recovered from his injuries and lived a vital, influential and productive life.  We should all aspire to a similar farewell.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Save me a chair by the fire. 

Got to see him win twice... Watkins Glenn 1975, Long Beach 1982

6 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Got to see him win twice... Watkins Glenn 1975, Long Beach 1982

I was at Watkins Glen in 75 as well.   Formula 1 was so much more interesting then,  (old geezer I am)

• Like 1

He went out a winner.  Chairman of Team Mercedes and an incredible final partnership with Toto Wolff.

I loved those epic battles with "Hunt the Shunt" and the huge mutual respect between drivers at the time.

Unlike Footlong, I still cant miss a grand prix.   

Guys who can drive like Lauda are rare. 

Well, medium rare, anyhow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, footlong said:

I was at Watkins Glen in 75 as well.   Formula 1 was so much more interesting then,  (old geezer I am)

Small world...

4 hours ago, footlong said:

F1 just plain sucks now and has for a few years. I really miss the old days!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Small world...

I was there too working on the other Fittipaldi’s team..we used to stay at the Senaca Lodge..legendary parties for F1 mechanics..where the race winner would bring the victory Laurel leaf and hang it behind the bar...they are still there!

i was at the ‘ring a year later too but we didn’t know when we left there the severity of Nikis injury...six weeks later at Monza I saw him pull off his helmet after practice and his balaclava was almost totally bloodstained..

i was at Mt Fuji in the winter rain conditions when he pulled in at the end of the first lap where he rightly said the conditions were unsafe for F1 racing..

A giant of a man..

• Like 2

met him a few times when he piloted his 777's Vienna to KL

Fantastic service, was the secret 1st class way to get from Europe to OZ for not much money

The wine list was like a phone book

His stewardesses have great uniforms including the baseball cap with their ears pinned back

Not only a driver, but a team VP of what will be seen as one of the best teams of all time but also a businessman.

When one of this 767s had an engine reverse in mid-flight bringing down the plane and killing all the passengers and crew he contacted Boeing and asked them to set the record straight for the media about what happened since he saw the engine with the cowling fully deployed, Boeing said a reversed engine would not have brought the flight down and could not have happened. He contacted Boeing several times and then flew to Seattle to discuss the issue, when ignored he told the Seattle Times he was going to take one of his other 767s and reverse the engine while flying over Seattle to prove Boeing correct that the plane would likely not crash into the city despite what happened to his airline ....

He went to Boeing headquarters and protested that there was something seriously wrong with the 767. He demanded to use their flight simulator to test if he could recover the plane under the same conditions. He tried 15 times, and failed every single time. It was determined that, while the 767 had been able to recover from a reversal deployment at 10,000 feet, no tests had ever been done at higher altitudes. At the same speed and altitude as LaudaAir Flight 004, the event was unsurvivable.

There was nothing the pilots could have possibly done to stop the plane from free-falling and disintegrating in the sky. But Niki Lauda had to be Niki Lauda before Boeing would issue a safety warning for its jets. He demanded that, if he could not take one of Boeing’s 767s to 21,000 feet with two test pilots and deploy the thrust reverser, that Boeing had to issue a statement. Boeing eventually changed the systems called to question. 

I met him when i was 14 in the 1980s after he released his book  "F1 in the turbo age".  Was after Thursday night sailing NA40s before the Detroit GP, had plenty of time to talk and talk cars, sign my book, not in any hurry despite the neck and neck season with Prost that year.....  A real lion, but in the end and looking back 30 years not what i expected when I met him.

• Like 4

A Legend and a Hero. Riding KZ 1000 ... 1973 BMW's in background. 

Hey Bacon Boy....go cook up a slab and pour the hot fat left in the skillet over your head. Tell me how your doing a year from now. 

2 hours ago, Pollination said:

Hey Bacon Boy....go cook up a slab and pour the hot fat left in the skillet over your head. Tell me how your doing a year from now. 

WTF?

15 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Guys who can drive like Lauda are rare. 

Well, medium rare, anyhow.

Well done Niki Lauda

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:58 PM, DHFiend said:

Not only a driver, but a team VP of what will be seen as one of the best teams of all time but also a businessman.

When one of this 767s had an engine reverse in mid-flight bringing down the plane and killing all the passengers and crew he contacted Boeing and asked them to set the record straight for the media about what happened since he saw the engine with the cowling fully deployed, Boeing said a reversed engine would not have brought the flight down and could not have happened. He contacted Boeing several times and then flew to Seattle to discuss the issue, when ignored he told the Seattle Times he was going to take one of his other 767s and reverse the engine while flying over Seattle to prove Boeing correct that the plane would likely not crash into the city despite what happened to his airline ....

He went to Boeing headquarters and protested that there was something seriously wrong with the 767. He demanded to use their flight simulator to test if he could recover the plane under the same conditions. He tried 15 times, and failed every single time. It was determined that, while the 767 had been able to recover from a reversal deployment at 10,000 feet, no tests had ever been done at higher altitudes. At the same speed and altitude as LaudaAir Flight 004, the event was unsurvivable.

There was nothing the pilots could have possibly done to stop the plane from free-falling and disintegrating in the sky. But Niki Lauda had to be Niki Lauda before Boeing would issue a safety warning for its jets. He demanded that, if he could not take one of Boeing’s 767s to 21,000 feet with two test pilots and deploy the thrust reverser, that Boeing had to issue a statement. Boeing eventually changed the systems called to question. 

I met him when i was 14 in the 1980s after he released his book  "F1 in the turbo age".  Was after Thursday night sailing NA40s before the Detroit GP, had plenty of time to talk and talk cars, sign my book, not in any hurry despite the neck and neck season with Prost that year.....  A real lion, but in the end and looking back 30 years not what i expected when I met him.

And those planes were beauties! I was on the flight line at Paine Field when they were being tested ( no not for Boeing, sheet metal buildings) those decals on the engine cowlings really caught my eye, roller skating Valkyries!

On 5/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, sadug said:

F1 just plain sucks now and has for a few years. I really miss the old days!!!!!!!!

Mansell

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:14 AM, warbird said:

Mansell

Prost

When men were men and racing was interesting.

On 5/26/2019 at 4:19 PM, Mid said:

Prost

Perhaps Mansell's rise coincided with me first getting cable and a VCR to record and watch races....

913b3f4-1.jpg

• Like 1