Sign in to follow this  
DFG

Winterizing

I just spent an hour  trying to get all the old pink stuff out of the water tanks for the coming season.  An old salt in the adjacent slip says they never use the pink stuff, rather they buy the cheapest vodka they can find and use it for winterizing the fresh water tanks.  Does this work?

A yard near by used to get pink orloff from the bottling facility so you knew not to drink it. 

Cheapest option is to get an air compressor and blow the tanks and lines out. Then you can drink the vodka instead. 

16 hours ago, DFG said:

I just spent an hour  trying to get all the old pink stuff out of the water tanks for the coming season.  An old salt in the adjacent slip says they never use the pink stuff, rather they buy the cheapest vodka they can find and use it for winterizing the fresh water tanks.  Does this work?

Yes, it works but @PaulK is right. Blow the water out of the system or vacuum it out.  My water system is pretty simple so I use a shop vac connected to the faucets to vacuum the water out of the system.  If you have complicated plumbing, you might connect the shop vac to a lower point like a "T" or union rather than a faucet.