Sign in to follow this  
yl75

The Transat (ex OSTAR) 2020 will start from Brest

Don't know the whole story on why they made this change but would expect it comes down to $$$.  I do think its a shame.

So now there are now how many trans atlantic races starting from France? Mini transat, the figaro transat race, the TJV, RDR, The Transat.

Talk about domination.  I cannot think of a single other significant TA race starting anywhere else.

No word on the classes to be allowed ie Ultim in the press releases yet.

43 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Don't know the whole story on why they made this change but would expect it comes down to $$$. I do think its a shame.

Yes most probably, and I doubt this was wished by "OC sport", the owner of the race (and also of the RdR, and partly of the solitaire du figaro), as the English/brit aspect is part of the brand of this race (usually called "la transat Anglaise" in French before), probably Plymouth didn't want to participate enough (just speculations).

It's the great british port shortage. There are just not any other ports, marinas, or jetties where you could start a race from left. Even stopgap solutions like tideways during low tide are in short supply.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, yl75 said:

Yes most probably, and I doubt this was wished by "OC sport", the owner of the race (and also of the RdR, and partly of the solitaire du figaro), as the English/brit aspect is part of the brand of this race (usually called "la transat Anglaise" in French before), probably Plymouth didn't want to participate enough (just speculations).

Not sure about that, there is so much money interaction going on  between Le Telegramme - OC Sport and Brest mayor that anything can be expected.

Anyway O.C had given their word to Plymouth and their attitude is shameful.

3 hours ago, moody frog said:

Not sure about that, there is so much money interaction going on  between Le Telegramme - OC Sport and Brest mayor that anything can be expected.

Anyway O.C had given their word to Plymouth and their attitude is shameful.

Indeed could be, Brest also may want to position itself as major "ocean race" location, and in fact besides the torphée Jules Vernes (kind of) it is not the start of any major race.

45 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Indeed could be, Brest also may want to position itself as major "ocean race" location, and in fact besides the torphée Jules Vernes (kind of) it is not the start of any major race.

The mayor and his staff probably do dream of  (or jealous) the fame achieved by other towns. But after decades ignoring those in the know, their town definitely lacks what makes a yachting center - no suppliers and yards but 1, no way to haul-out a decent boat - . Signing checks is just not enough ...... fortunately.

11 hours ago, spyderpig said:

The OSTAR will still be departing from Plymouth.

The youth and amateur one ? But will there be another edition ?

I am confused. Pretty sure the RWYC Ostar is the original single handed transat.

So did OC-sport try to hijack the race, and are they now both claiming to be the original one ?

43 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I am confused. Pretty sure the RWYC Ostar is the original single handed transat.

So did OC-sport try to hijack the race, and are they now both claiming to be the original one ?

From the Ostar English wikipedia page :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-Handed_Trans-Atlantic_Race

I understand that its name changed quite a bit (Europe 1, Artemis), it got bought by OC sport in 2004, got the name "The Transat", and then an "OSTAR" race was reinitiated in 2009 as a youth/amateur race.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

As far as I know, when  RWYC lost the big (mostly French) sponsorships they did divest the "commercial classes" side of the race to come back to the race roots. They retained the original OSTAR name.

After some hiatus , Mark Turner took over the "commercial classes" side and started THE TRANSAT on the "classic" course. As far as I know he suffered from US cities not willing to spend the kind of money French cities provide, but also from the lack of enthusiasm by iMOCA skippers for sailing their downwind machines upwind at Newfoundland, few months before the VG start.

When "Le Télégramme" bought O.C Sport from Turner, they inherited a "wounded" and loss-makingTHE TRANSAT and .........

I agree with you, despite the strong memory of Tabarly's early win, a different name and now a different course prevent THE TRANSAT to claim being "the original" - just one more French race.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, moody frog said:

As far as I know, when  RWYC lost the big (mostly French) sponsorships they did divest the "commercial classes" side of the race to come back to the race roots. They retained the original OSTAR name.

After some hiatus , Mark Turner took over the "commercial classes" side and started THE TRANSAT on the "classic" course. As far as I know he suffered from US cities not willing to spend the kind of money French cities provide, but also from the lack of enthusiasm by iMOCA skippers for sailing their downwind machines upwind at Newfoundland, few months before the VG start.

When "Le Télégramme" bought O.C Sport from Turner, they inherited a "wounded" and loss-makingTHE TRANSAT and .........

I agree with you, despite the strong memory of Tabarly's early win, a different name and now a different course prevent THE TRANSAT to claim being "the original" - just one more French race.

Thanks for the info, the history of OC sport is also quite detailed on their site :

https://www.ocsport.com/history

So the move to "The Transat" name was done by OC Sport in 2004 when acquiring the race rights, and at that time OC sport was still a "Brit organisation" with Mark Turner and Ellen Mc Arthur, le Télégramme having bought OC Sport in 2014.

• Like 1

Even as a Frenchman, I think it is sad. "La transat anglaise" is no longer "la transat anglaise"...

• Like 1

Yes, also think keeping the start in Plymouth would have been much better, there is really no room in the military/commercial quarters of the harbour for a few days ?

plymouth.png

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Plymouth,+Royaume-Uni/@50.3824834,-4.1966813,2821m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486c8d530e95ea3d:0x3b282cb5cef58593!8m2!3d50.3754565!4d-4.1426565

There should be a petition about that !

And "the transat" is still quite different, against the wind in the  spring aiming at a northern arrival, whether the RdR is starting in the fall with a tropical arrival, quite a few options in both cases.

Plymouth hardly has enough room to host the Fastnet finish at this point