Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

which charter boat?

planning my winter vacation for next year...8 people in the BVI's ( 4 of these people have never been so it will be fun playing tour guide)

either the Jenneau 54

or the Lagoon 40

the Cat is twice the cost is it worth it?  Seems the 54  would be big enough for 4 couples ...??

Are all the people sailors?  In our group of 6, one was not happy when sailing on a monohull in the BVI.  Our subsequent cruise on a 40ft cat was fun for everyone.  Also there is much more room to spread out.  Admittedly we have never chartered such a large monohull...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nibj said:

Are all the people sailors?  In our group of 6, one was not happy when sailing on a monohull in the BVI.  Our subsequent cruise on a 40ft cat was fun for everyone.  Also there is much more room to spread out.  Admittedly we have never chartered such a large monohull...

all sailors

What's the 54's draft (for Anegada)?

I'm a monohull guy but for 8 people I would go with the cat.  The Jenneau is roomy for a mono but still tight for that many bodies.  The Lagoon will be much more comfortable.

• Like 2

When we were in the BVI, I was impressed by the catamaran's ability to point better, faster and at virtually no heel angle compared to our chartered 35' monohull in 25 kts. 

7 hours ago, Chardonnay said:

I'm a monohull guy but for 8 people I would go with the cat.  The Jenneau is roomy for a mono but still tight for that many bodies.  The Lagoon will be much more comfortable.

The 54 is $7800 for 8 days 

the lagoon 40 is $12,000 for same time. 

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

That's $1050 extra per couple, out of the total cost of the holiday per couple, that's fuck all.

You'll have 4 far better cabins, the boat will be steady at anchor, and the boat will have more space around the bridge-deck to give y'all some more space. Oh and it'll draw far less water, so you can go more places.

4 hours ago, darth reapius said:

That's $1050 extra per couple, out of the total cost of the holiday per couple, that's fuck all.

You'll have 4 far better cabins, the boat will be steady at anchor, and the boat will have more space around the bridge-deck to give y'all some more space. Oh and it'll draw far less water, so you can go more places.

ahhhhif it were so easy.  ;-)  

On 5/23/2019 at 7:20 PM, dacapo said:

In my experience, the Cat is a better party platform.  Its more fun to hang out in a larger groups, BBQ, invite people back to the boat, etc...  The cat also has very little draft so you can get close to the beach and not worry too much about tide.

However, the monohull is much cheaper and (IMHO) better for sailing.  

Lagoon. 

Just did this trip two weeks ago (4th time chartering in BVI). Look at the FP Saba 50 Cat.  CYOA has a couple. Five cabins, four heads, tons of space and no drinks spill. We had an unusually fresh breeze for the first three days 30 knots and even 40 knots on day 3. No sailors would be more comfortable on the cat. 

That being said, from a sailing perspective, cats are about as much fun as a barge!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woods Rider said:

That being said, from a sailing perspective, cats are about as much fun as a Party barge!

Fixed it..... B)

Definitely go for the cat.... the square footage increase is dramatic.   No matter how much you all like each other, additional volume is a good thing

My experience is that for the monos the sails are so blown out that you can't point/sail very well anyway. Next time we will bet a a cat have more room and sail about the same I figure. 

We’ve chartered both a bene 47 and a Leopard 47 from Moorings  Road Town. After the cat, if I were to do another trip, there is zero chance of going w a mono.

Life,  both during the 3 or 4 hour day sails and at anchor is just way sweeter. Especially w eight people. 

Among other things, one big difference w a large group is the companionway. People are always coming and going and the one level salon/cockpit double wide doors make it easier for people to get around than on a mono. 

Are the prices mentioned for a new 40? If so, I’d compare prices w an older(couple years old via Sunsail etc) Leopard 47/Lagoon 50. Your crew might enjoy the extra room(ie 1 head per couple).

• Like 1