yeahbuoy

J80 - Anti Fouling Paint

We are having to re-do our bottom on our J80 due to a massive breakdown in our e-paint.  I attached a photo of it below to show how rough it is.  It is like that below the waterline.  Sanding it is a huge labor job and takes it down to the gel coat.  

We're back to square one with re-doing the entire bottom.  We are trying to decide between Baltoplate racing finish and Black Widow.  Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for either?  

IMG_7843.thumb.JPG.f103d429bf8ad87b771969d9984b5efc.JPG

Baltoplate and Black Widow are hard vinyls.    Great racing bottom paint but requires frequent cleaning.  I've had Baltoplate and Proline 1088 w/graphite on my hull for 20 years.  Baltoplate is no longer legal in California so next round I will try Black Widow as I won't have to strip my existing bottom completely.   

• Like 1

Black Widow. It's not perfect for everywhere, but on my boat (3 seasons in) It has reduced the cleans by about 1/3. This is in Mass Bay and Boston Harbor. It was a huge jump in performance from VC Offshore for me. Can be applied with rollers and wet sanded. Goes over a lot of stuff but probably not that e-paint.

At least it's just a J80 so your bottom is finite and manageable, especially with a couple of cases and some good friends (that will hopefully still be good friends after ;) )

• Like 1

That is a cool texture, maybe for drywall, but not a boat bottom. Where do you sail? Fresh or salt h20? Warm or cold?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Varan said:

That is a cool texture, maybe for drywall, but not a boat bottom. Where do you sail? Fresh or salt h20? Warm or cold?

We sail Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans.  It is a mix of fresh and salt.  Mostly fresh, especially when the spillway is open.  In the summer the water is very warm.  

Do you have a go-to cleaning ritual?  Looking for a submersible scrubber for a quick pre-race cleaning.  

36 minutes ago, yeahbuoy said:

Do you have a go-to cleaning ritual?  Looking for a submersible scrubber for a quick pre-race cleaning.  

I have a 32' columbia that I snorkel to clean. With the BW it takes me about a half hour with a pad and a suction handle. The keel takes a while because it's 7' deep and that gets a little long to hold the breath, but overall I usually start the season with a terry towel and finish with a white 3m scotch pad, if that. We have a 'jellyfish season' that runs from early to mid-June, and it's usually right after that that I need the first scrub.

if you're talking about a submersible scrubber like a remora, that might be overkill for your boat, unless you wanted to buy one and rent it to other boat owners too - it's pretty expensive.

• Like 1

Black Widow.  I've had it on my J-80 in San Diego for a year now and it has performed great.  You still need to wipe it down, but it's so slick, any growth slides right off.  I applied it with a standard Wagner airless spray gun with only minimal thinning.  I did not do a full burnish, but knocked of any dust nibs after it had dried for a day with 800 grit on a sanding block.  It's VERY smooth)

Prior to Black Widow, I was using Petit Vivid.  It was decent paint and good when the boat was in and out of the water a lot, but I agree that Black Widow is at least 33% better when it comes to the need to clean and it has lasted longer.  The only problem is, it's black so you can't see kelp as well.

I used E-paint for two seasons in Hawaii before I gave up on it.  It never lasted at the waterline longer than a few months.  Be careful when sanding it!  The peroxide content makes it just like tear gas and just a little dust in the eyes or nose will cause an immediate reaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charis said:

Black Widow.  I've had it on my J-80 in San Diego for a year now and it has performed great.  You still need to wipe it down, but it's so slick, any growth slides right off.  I applied it with a standard Wagner airless spray gun with only minimal thinning.  I did not do a full burnish, but knocked of any dust nibs after it had dried for a day with 800 grit on a sanding block.  It's VERY smooth)

Prior to Black Widow, I was using Petit Vivid.  It was decent paint and good when the boat was in and out of the water a lot, but I agree that Black Widow is at least 33% better when it comes to the need to clean and it has lasted longer.  The only problem is, it's black so you can't see kelp as well.

I used E-paint for two seasons in Hawaii before I gave up on it.  It never lasted at the waterline longer than a few months.  Be careful when sanding it!  The peroxide content makes it just like tear gas and just a little dust in the eyes or nose will cause an immediate reaction.

Thanks for this reply.  We were leaning Black Widow.  I don't mind the color.  Its all about speed and durability.  We have the ability to spray it on as well with our automotive spray booth.

As far as taking down the E-paint.  I was wondering why our eyes were burning.  Luckily our shop has a hooded respirator.  Who's chopping onions?

Quick photo update.  We ended up going with Baltoplate.  We'll be tagging with graphics soon.  We're real excited to get her back in the water soon.  Thanks for all the input.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.35.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.36.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.36.33 AM.png

VC-17m in fresh water, needs 3-4 scrubs a year before regattas, water peaks at 70.  Need to get Black Widow to try in Canada!