multihuler

Buying Hydroptere, fastest ocean going trimaran

She might not be all that great at sinking. 

1 hour ago, W9GFO said:

Instead of a chainsaw and dumpster, how about making her an artificial reef? Seems much more dignified than ending up in a landfill.

You a mono guy by any chance? Gonna be hard to sink it. I’ll explain later if you like. 

10 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

You a mono guy by any chance? Gonna be hard to sink it. I’ll explain later if you like. 

Please do explain, be sure to include how adding cheap ballast would be beyond the abilities of someone intent on making sure that it stayed on the bottom.

Does anyone know if Hydroptere is demountable?

I found a barge that could transport her.

3 hours ago, multihuler said:

I found a barge that could transport her.

Instead of asking that question on this forum, why don’t you fly to Hawaii and look this boat over for yourself? By seeing this boat in person, you might just save yourself an incredible amount of grief. Plane tickets to Hawaii cost a lot less than the financial disaster that might ensue if you buy Hydropter.

As a plus, bring your wife along and treat her to a Hawaiian vacation. She’ll likely thank you for it!

not without a sawzall

• Like 1

There is a barge that goes back an forth to Seattle on a weekly basis. We are sending a new 50' cat to Honolulu when the time comes. BFB, (Big Fucking Barge) looks like you could get the Hydroptere craned up on top of the containers. Check your cradle though...

web-locations-hawaii.jpg

10 hours ago, QBF said:

Instead of asking that question on this forum, why don’t you fly to Hawaii and look this boat over for yourself? By seeing this boat in person, you might just save yourself an incredible amount of grief. Plane tickets to Hawaii cost a lot less than the financial disaster that might ensue if you buy Hydropter.

As a plus, bring your wife along and treat her to a Hawaiian vacation. She’ll likely thank you for it!

Booked my tickets, bringing the wife, 6 year old grandson and grandma, how fun to have the family at Hydroptere's auction!

I am hoping she will find a place to rest in the honor she deserves, those that can't see it, may you find piece in your life.

Life's short, eat dessert first, or it's never too late to start your childhood.

Cheers,

Stephen 

R2akteamgoldenoldies 

IMG_0677.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

and everything you do on an oversquare 60' trimaran with a 11' draft that's been deteriorating in the tropical sun for XX months is going to cost much more than ANYTHING ELSE YOU EVER DO

And it will still be slower than 5k worth of foiling kiteboard

A genuine 40KSB? It carries the swill box...well. But at least pieces are not down in the "Trench." The painful "death-of-a-1000-cuts" of these huge sailing-singularities (?).

Rescue going forward, Thanks to Facebook, and of course Sailing Anarchy!

4000 people in 14 hours, several possible buyers, I may have missed the bullet. 

IMG_0675.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

So, keeping the wife?  Or, is she keeping you?

14711472_1247233725318664_8590025678447403368_o.thumb.jpg.fae9b6a9712b27c3ab8e4a45b5c11c43.jpgI don't know why she hates my boats?

• Like 2

Your my kind of crazy Stephen...long live the Hydro...

• Like 2

I was under the vague memory she's aluminum?? The beam joints to the floats are definitely mechanical.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, Recidivist said:

I don't denigrate Alain Thebault's efforts but admire them and what he was able to achieve.  It's sad that he wasn't able to achieve the latest dream, but that doesn't take away from the earlier achievements.  Many people fail to achieve their dreams - Mike Golding never won a VG - does that make him a shit sailor?  No. 

Nor should the boat be broken up and dumped - it deserves better. 

Well said.  And as most who have either designed and built their own sailing passion, or commissioned same, it is for the most part a singular dream that doesn’t necessarily transfer to others at the right time and place.  And dreams end,  usually hard to remember the next day, much less years.  Creativity is a hard row to hoe.  What does Steve Clark call his shed?  Something like ‘the field of broken dreams’?  And how do you dispose of broken dreams?  I use a land fill, or recycling, for my stuff- I do save spars, rigging, foils, and sails, for some reason.  ....You never know....^_^

edit- is that Saturn 5 still lying on its side in the weeds down at Cape Canaveral?

Amati, +1 and I would add, some dreams end when the confronted with the labor...though I have long disagreed long with Sam's view re "hypocrisy."  

On 6/14/2019 at 8:24 PM, multihuler said:

IMG_0675.jpg

Do you know if there are any Frenchmen on it?

I think Guy may be trapped below decks. He might be pretty ripe after all that time in the tropic sun. Don't let him near your wife!

That would be Guy LeDouche, who was last seen headed to Hawaii on the FLYING HAWAIIAN. Notorious fellow especially if you have womenfold on board.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/profile/1666-guy-ledouche/

He is a naughty guy for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, multihuler said:

IMG_0675.jpg

So, no winches, grinder, steering gear and whatever else?

And look out for the pregnant transwhatever... 

You know that the Coast Guard to this day denies that the FLYIN" HAWAIIAN ever existed? Sort of like those Iranian gunboats pulling off those dud limpet mines off of the Japanese oil tanker.

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

And look out for the pregnant transwhatever... 

You know that the Coast Guard to this day denies that the FLYIN" HAWAIIAN ever existed? Sort of like those Iranian gunboats pulling off those dud limpet mines off of the Japanese oil tanker.

That story could not have had a stranger ending.

• Like 1

My big problem with saving this boat as a museum piece somewhere is just that it’s tainted with owed money. The boat is cool as hell, I just have no respect for it. 

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

My big problem with saving this boat as a museum piece somewhere is just that it’s tainted with owed money. The boat is cool as hell, I just have no respect for it. 

Yeah, the trip to Hawaii was deeply embedded with Prince Charles of Monaco and the big Solar plane that was nearing its completion to flying around the world on solar power. Deep connections to a lot of European firms that I will have to connect the dots upon. I do know that the plane had to do and unexpected layover in China which threw off the arrival time in Hawaii which was supposed to be in conjunction with the arrival of the Hydroptere. 

That didn't take long to find but there was a lot of pressure to have a simultaneous arrival of the SOLAR IMPUSE and the HYDROPTERE in Hawaii at the same time. A pretty tenuous connection at best but make what you want of it.

https://www.hawaiiweblog.com/2015/06/28/hydroptere-solar-impulse

On 6/16/2019 at 11:48 AM, Monkey said:

How is that the boats fault....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, olsurfer said:

Good chance the boat has been saved and will be sent back to France. Good job Stephen!

Details?

France or here, boat needs to keep sailing...but who could afford it?

just found out resin is not biodegradable...

18 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

I wont reveal more details until the auction is over but I can say that she is not headed for a museum, she is gonna sail again in France! 

Well let's hope it works out!

On 6/22/2019 at 2:58 AM, olsurfer said:

I wont reveal more details until the auction is over but I can say that she is not headed for a museum, she is gonna sail again in France! 

So I'm not getting a wheel...?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 11:58 AM, olsurfer said:

Nothing personal, but I’ll believe that when I see it. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Nothing personal, but I’ll believe that when I see it. 

I’m guessing they have a limited amount of time to get it moved after all this time, the authorities won’t want to risk it being dumped again. 

Written in stone, Hydroptere will be sailing next year, her white knight will be represented at the auction, with the budget and facilities to put her back to her original glory.

She will NEVER again languish at the mercy of a unstable financial program.  

Long live Hydroptere, may she inspire future generations, as this generation is not doing such a great job.

Cheers,

Stephen 

17 hours ago, olsurfer said:

No offense taken. I was wrong on the destination anyways. Now I might even get a ride on her!

Is she not coming back in France?

On 6/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, olsurfer said:

I can say that she is not headed for a museum, she is gonna sail again in France! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, olsurfer said:

No offense taken. I was wrong on the destination anyways. Now I might even get a ride on her!

I sincerely hope it’s all true. I’d much rather see that boat get a nice resto mod instead of hit with a chainsaw. 

5 hours ago, doghouse said:

Why does sailing attract such fucking idiots. 

Name something that doesn't. 

14 hours ago, doghouse said:

to be honest, i was born into it

oh, wait...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aA said:

to be honest, i was born into it

oh, wait...

Too late...we who go down to sea in ships are a wonderment, but a bit freaky. 

Swill is good!

On 6/25/2019 at 2:08 AM, doghouse said:

They told me I was too smart for golf and too stupid for anything else. 

AKA the Before picture of the boat graveyard.

• Like 1

No longer a pony in the race, France is now in Honolulu to attempt the return of a national treasure, a California challenger is currently in transit to also capture the trimaran that stretched the imagination and ingenuity of mere mortals. 

Their goals are similar, to bring life back into Hydroptere, and  shortly she will have a new owner/project manager to further her quest in breaking records. 

She is a very complicated machine, and records don't come cheap, may mutual respect for her future sailing program inspire us mortals.

My new goal is to teach my grandson to reach for the stars. At 6 years old, he will be at the auction. A fter inspecting this supership yesterday, he believes in Hydroptere with all her shortcomings, and hopes to throw out the first $8,000 bid.  So, there is hope in mankind, as it has always been, with the children.

Teach your children well.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

My new goal is to teach my grandson to reach for the stars. At 6 years old, he will be at the auction. A fter inspecting this supership yesterday, he believes in Hydroptere with all her shortcomings, and hopes to throw out the first $8,000 bid.  So, there is hope in mankind, as it has always been, with the children.

You should get your grandson to jump up and down on his chair, while shouting "eighty thousend, and when they ignore him he says "Aloha Hui O He'e Nalu".

Teach your children well

Are you going to video the auction?  Only 12 hours to go now.

You should teach him about three ways with nubile French girls, fine tailoring, and cocaine if you want him to have useful knowledge and not some quixotic idiocy

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Saving another multi so it can sit in a boneyard in Reno?  I clearly am missing some critical parts of this equation.  And FFS, quit quoting the lousy CSN tunes, there are plenty of good ones.  

• Like 1

There is "intention" then there is "will." What might be missing is "execution." Nothing new, really, and we should learn...from our goofs, but if we do not, keep fixing...same as "Keep on Truckin'!" 

On 5/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, multihuler said:

My pitch was to assist the rescue, nothing more

The good news is this SA post has gone around the world and there is lots of interest in France to bring her home!  

On 6/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, multihuler said:

11 hours ago, multihuler said:

No longer a pony in the race, France is now in Honolulu to attempt the return of a national treasure, a California challenger is currently in transit to also capture the trimaran that stretched the imagination and ingenuity of mere mortals. 

Their goals are similar, to bring life back into Hydroptere, and  shortly she will have a new owner/project manager to further her quest in breaking records. 

C'est bon - non?

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Saving another multi so it can sit in a boneyard in Reno?  I clearly am missing some critical parts of this equation.  And FFS, quit quoting the lousy CSN tunes, there are plenty of good ones.  

I am with you but never - ever - mess with CSN, any CSN, or better yet any CSN&Y!  What is wrong with you man?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wess said:

I am with you but never - ever - mess with CSN, any CSN, or better yet any CSN&Y!  What is wrong with you man?!

He or she has been "Crazy Horsed!"

26 minutes ago, Wess said:

Neil Young live at Massey Hall 1971 will blow your socks off.  The guy at 24 had more talent in his pinkie fingernail than I have in my body.  PM an address and I will hook you up.

Hey Multihula, any news yet?

Did your grandson get it at 80,000 ?

@multihuler

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Neil Young live at Massey Hall 1971 will blow your socks off.  The guy at 24 had more talent in his pinkie fingernail than I have in my body.  PM an address and I will hook you up.

Wait, what, hook me up with what exactly? You Chicago folks scare me. Anyway if you are ever out here look me up when I can run or defend myself. Neil Young is a God. Can’t carry a tune for shit but I love him still.

18 hours ago, multihuler said:

She is a very complicated machine, and records don't come cheap, may mutual respect for her future sailing program inspire us mortals.

Dude. Relax that grip a touch or you're gonna rip the head clean off it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, longy said:

Not on her own bottom?!!

What's the problem?  

Only 13572nm round the Horn, just 11 days and a bit at 50 knots.

Via Panama only 6½ days, but 50kn might be a problem in the Canal.

• Like 2

I admire Stephen a whole lot more than some of you armchair wankers. He has great taste in unusual boats and has kept many of them from going to the wreckers. Hydroptere may be a has-been, but it holds a big spot in sailing history. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, olsurfer said:

Hydroptere sold for $8500.00. Stephen helped bring together two guys (french/american) who have plans. She'll stay in Hawaii for a month then head to SF bay for an extended honeymoon before heading back to France. Stephen opened the bidding.

I hope she makes it back on the water and back up to speed... that's a long shot, still, but it sounds like some of the right people may be involved. Good work, Stephen and anyone who helped save her from the chainsaw.

I'd just about kill for a walk or paddle around this piece of history. Keep us posted please where she winds up in the Bay area before making the next big hop to France.

13 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I admire Stephen a whole lot more than some of you armchair wankers. He has great taste in unusual boats and has kept many of them from going to the wreckers. Hydroptere may be a has-been, but it holds a big spot in sailing history. 

Great respect for you, but how does an Antrim 40 sitting on the hard in Reno help anything?  The one boat I'm familiar with, Nice Pair, was a very competitive cat that I read is now doing day cruises with a short rig.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, olsurfer said:

One of the guys who bought Hydroptere owns the Playstation/Cheyenne 125 and the old C & H waterfront property on SF bay with a 40 ton crane. I don't think money is gonna be a problem.

This guy?

image.thumb.png.603d6101bbb580d9abd732e5c346a6ff.png

15 hours ago, olsurfer said:

One of the guys who bought Hydroptere owns the Playstation/Cheyenne 125 and the old C & H waterfront property on SF bay with a 40 ton crane. I don't think money is gonna be a problem.

Wait for it......

30 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

Maybe cuz being in the drier climate in Nevada is better than wasting away in Canada. Maybe cuz Stephen has already done a ton of work on it to get it back in the water. Maybe cuz he needed to sell Nice Pair and no one was stepping up.

It became a sub-tender for undersea exploration. Gosh, what a shame. Get the chainsaw!

If he wants to make Hydroptere into a taco truck, who are you to criticize?  

Goes against all the hype of it being saved if he does that to it. :P

23 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Yeah, but the wankers, including you, didn’t egg him on to a further decimation if his bank account and ability to retire with a damn penny to his name so he can leave something to his grandkids. 

You need to look in the mirror sometime...

But, if that is your motor Proa in his yard, he did buy something fun and practical

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, mad said:

Goes against all the hype of it being saved if he does that to it. :P

It's funny how much shit I got for tuning a couple of old Tornado hulls into a powerboat. That powerboat has given more pleasure and been more useful than I ever imagined it could. It just returned from a week (and a few hundred more miles) being used as a video and drone platform. 

What could be better for Playstation than to have an important purpose in life? What could be better for Nice Pair than to earn it's keep and take a shitload of people sailing? 

Stephen has accumulated quite a few boats, but what's the problem exactly?

filmhopper.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

Stephen was never going to buy Hydroptere.

That's not a proa in his backyard, it's a Dick Newick trimaran power boat.

I thought some here would be interested in how this unfolded, but it seems the noisy ones just wanted a punching bag.

I am sure that most of us are truly delighted that there might be a future for a very special and historic boat, and I am sure your and Multihula's role in it is much appreciated by most here. 

And that Chris Welsh  seems to be the right person to take this project on too, so we can be optimistic at this point. We love to hear more how this came all together, who the French partner is, and how this will develop further.

But this is Sailing Anarchy, and experience and seawater has made a lot of us rather critical, with usually a good dose of sarcasm and humor thrown in. So take care and good luck!

• Like 3

Hey Multihauler, good on ya mate, I know where there is a AC72 going to waste. Just sitting there all wrapped up beside the motorway offramp in Onehunga. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruno said:

Alu honeycomb core, carbon, and salty bluewater longevity, hmm.

Aluminum Coupled to Carbon Composite

Aluminum alloys are extremely vulnerable when they are coupled to a carbon composite. Figure 3 shows the anodic and cathodic polarization curves of aluminum alloys and carbon composites, respectively. It is clear that the rate of galvanic corrosion in seawater is controlled by the oxygen reduction reaction. What this means is that any condition that leads to an increase in the rate of oxygen reduction will cause an increase in the rate of galvanic corrosion. During the galvanic corrosion, a white, jelly corrosion product will be formed on the surface of the aluminum.

6518ffc77e1843759e7e0eeec894976f.png?width=400

Figure 3: Cathodic polarization curves for (A) virgin carbon composite, (C) a surface-treated carbon composite, and (E) a pure graphite electrode in neutral air-stirred 3.5 % NaCl. 

Hopefully the structure is sound, and hopefully there is a non-destructive way to check that. If that's the case, she's still going to need a lot of money spent before she even gets off her mooring, unless all the stuff removed in this picture is in a container somewhere. Someone mentioned she had been stripped of all her electronics and she does indeed seem to be missing at least three displays at the helm station, per side. Also, there's three big ol' winches missing per side so at least six in total without knowing what the cockpit in the center hull looks like. The document from the auction posted here also mentioned that she had no engine which is a bit worrying.

It's a seriously cool boat though and it'll be interesting to see it defend against the likes of Macif on which Gabart hit 47 knots single-handed and Spindrift 2 which hit the same number crewed I think. I don't know to what extent Spindrift 2 foils though.

Also ( . )  ( . )

hydr_missing_stuff.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tylo said:

Hopefully the structure is sound, and hopefully there is a non-destructive way to check that. If that's the case, she's still going to need a lot of money spent before she even gets off her mooring, unless all the stuff removed in this picture is in a container somewhere. Someone mentioned she had been stripped of all her electronics and she does indeed seem to be missing at least three displays at the helm station, per side. Also, there's three big ol' winches missing per side so at least six in total without knowing what the cockpit in the center hull looks like. The document from the auction posted here also mentioned that she had no engine which is a bit worrying.

It's a seriously cool boat though and it'll be interesting to see it defend against the likes of Macif on which Gabart hit 47 knots single-handed and Spindrift 2 which hit the same number crewed I think. I don't know to what extent Spindrift 2 foils though.

Also ( . )  ( . )

hydr_missing_stuff.png

That’s a Million dollars minimum just to get going again, let alone the bits that’ll need replacing. 

8 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

There are two 40ft shipping containers in Los Angeles with an unknown amount of replacement parts.

Wonder what's the storage bill on those guys 

29 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Good man, you may enter

Many thanks.

6 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

There are two 40ft shipping containers in Los Angeles with an unknown amount of replacement parts.

Let's hope the parts can be found there. Although it does seem strange that the previous owners would unbolt stuff from the deck while leaving the mainsail in place. Maybe it was blown out and worthless to them?

26 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

They didn’t even unpack the boat or cover anything before they left, anything thrown in the container at the last minute is fucked. 

Just being realistic about this. 

On 6/30/2019 at 6:08 AM, olsurfer said:

Maybe cuz being in the drier climate in Nevada is better than wasting away in Canada. Maybe cuz Stephen has already done a ton of work on it to get it back in the water. Maybe cuz he needed to sell Nice Pair and no one was stepping up.

It became a sub-tender for undersea exploration. Gosh, what a shame. Get the chainsaw!

If he wants to make Hydroptere into a taco truck, who are you to criticize?  

Agree Olsurfer... shits me that people here are giving it to Stephen .... He dreams but then made it reality.... I for one am stoked it's saved

23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Yeah, but the wankers, including you, didn’t egg him on to a further decimation if his bank account and ability to retire with a damn penny to his name so he can leave something to his grandkids. 

Why would anyone work hard all their life to leave it to kids or grand kids....?

I guess I'm not getting the steering wheel now

• Like 1

A partial list of missing items, as seen from the video of the local clown who boarded the boat: all winches, all electronics (above & below decks, all electrical wiring & systems ( batteries, wiring looms, charge sources, monitoring systems) all the hydraulic pumps, reservoir, valving, all headsails & running rigging, sailing instruments & brain boxes. In short all that is still there is the bare hulls (who knows what's inside that open transom plate) wing mast, foils, rudder. So it's ready to be a static display, but to sail it again is a huge task.

Then again most all of that would have needed to be replaced anyway. Well maybe not the big winches - where would those go anyway on Hawaii ??

No, all the gear on the list should last for many years - dependent, of course, on some regular maintenance. But one would assume it was all in good shape before sailing to Hawaii. There's nothing the bottom crawlers of Keehi Lagoon can't re-purpose in some manner.