multihuler

Buying Hydroptere, fastest ocean going trimaran

On 7/1/2019 at 12:13 AM, Tylo said:

Although it does seem strange that the previous owners would unbolt stuff from the deck while leaving the mainsail in place. Maybe it was blown out and worthless to them?

Who could you sell it to?

16 minutes ago, JimC said:

What do you mean? The deck hardware or the mainsail?

16 hours ago, JimC said:

The mast cars, batten pocket ends, battens and headboard are totally worth taking / selling

Negatory, still on the mooring. It is near the back of the mooring fleet so I didn't get close enough to see if any work has been done to prep her for a move

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 9:03 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

What's the problem?  

Only 13572nm round the Horn, just 11 days and a bit at 50 knots.

Via Panama only 6½ days, but 50kn might be a problem in the Canal.

Good point. How did that thing get from Europe to Hawaii?

9 hours ago, LionIsland said:

Good point. How did that thing get from Europe to Hawaii?

However that was accomplished I am sure their plans were foiled a certain percentage of the time. (Slinks away, promises to keep day job.)

• Like 1

Funny.

However my question remains. I get the Transatlantic bit. It sailed. I get the transPac bit. It sailed.

But the TransAmerica bit? I guess Panama, maybe? If so, sketchy, I would’ve thought. 

Thanks for refreshing my memory @Rasputin22 , just couldn't remember that nice time laps Panama Canal passage. 

I should have remembered it, because it not only reminded me of nearly crashing a Maxi there, but even more so because the barograph so beautifully showed the boat rising and dropping down in the locks.

Anyway, google YouTube made me watch some more videos, and don't think this entertaining one has come along here yet (in pretty good English too):

Nice girl interviewer, and after "screw the kitchen", then what?   69 knots?

New tramps are installed, winches coming in from France, saildrive removed for repair, shooting for a September departure, first class refit / rescue.

Viva la France

• Like 4

Glad to hear it!

Pics anyone?

Do the new owners have social media or web presence? Would love to follow this project more closely 

I might have missed it in the long 4 page thread.  But why did the guy just leave the boat to rot in Hawaii after spending a lifetime designing it?

On 7/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, Ed Lada said:

I'm not and a lot of people aren't.  What does a child or young adult learn by having thingsa handed to them?  Look how many wealthy heirs have spent a life of spoiled entitlement and squandered vast fortunes.  

To me the best legacy you can leave is to raise children that are strong, confident and capable of being self sufficient.  Then your children will grow up to raise thier children with the same values.  That to me is the best legacy you can give to your children and grand children, not lots of money.  It's a real pity that so many people nowadays only define success as being rich.

Kids:

1. "Keep them long on hugs and short on pocket change" Warren Buffet

2. "Give them enough to do something, but not enough to do nothing" Bill Gates, who's daughter is in medical school at Stanford, iirc

3. You can't control people from the grave. Me

4. In a house of gold, the hours are lead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeattleB said:

I might have missed it in the long 4 page thread.  But why did the guy just leave the boat to rot in Hawaii after spending a lifetime designing it?

Because it did what it was supposed to and also because they ran out of money...

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Because it did what it was supposed to and also because they ran out of money...

If you watch the video in post 312, Thebault says he’s planning to move on to a new, improved boat to foil RTW. 

He was very satisfied with the results and could go no further with that design, so the boat was destined to be left behind by the syndicate. He will succeed in his next effort and that too will be left behind after its goal has been accomplished.

It’s the same with any major accomplishment. Take immense effort to design and manufacture a truly innovative one-off product. As soon as it is produced and achieves maximum results, put it in a museum or abandon it to someone else or place. Nothing wrong with that overall.

"left behind"??   Littering is illegal, and that's what was done in Hawaii. Trash boat thrown away on the roadside. Big mooring bills left unpaid.

• Like 1

Same thing

It isn’t right that it’s left for others to cleanup but at the same time, it revolutionized the principle of hydrodynamic lift and could have easily been cut up by the Hawaiian municipal services and disposed of at a modest cost. The “mooring bill” is a write off for the island.

• Downvote 1

It's long past history is no excuse for the team behavior. That dock footage & mooring ball could have been occupied by a active, bill paying yacht. Why do the islanders have to clean up what the Frenchies discard?? That should have been done on the West coast where there are at least some recycling possibilities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Same thing

It isn’t right that it’s left for others to clean up but at the same time, it revolutionized the principle of hydrodynamic lift and could have easily been cut up by the Hawaiian municipal services and disposed of at a modest cost. The “mooring bill” is a write off for the island.

FIFY

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Same thing

It isn’t right that it’s left for others to cleanup but at the same time, it revolutionized the principle of hydrodynamic lift and could have easily been cut up by the Hawaiian municipal services and disposed of at a modest cost. The “mooring bill” is a write off for the island.

You are kidding right?  Do you have any idea how many boats wash up/drift/sail/ get shipped here only to be abandoned and left for tax payers to deal with? It isn't just this boat-it's everyone's unwanted nautical refuse.  And once all these boats are cut up, what vast, empty landfill are the toxic remnants going in?  The one that's already overflowing? You've been to Hawaii or seen pictures, I assume.  This is a small speck in the middle of an ocean; we don't have room for our own garbage let alone what other people dump on us. Furthermore, who funds the "Hawaii municipal services?" Hint: it's not the French. So, they play, leave, go on to other projects, get new funding, and stiff those of us who live on the island of misfit toys? This is okay?  Leaving that boat here was criminal-minor league perhaps- but a criminal act of illegal dumping as well as an immoral act of financial irresponsibility. You wouldn't want this vessel dumped in your backyard but it's okay to have it in mine for me (and all the other taxpayers) to deal with?  

• Like 3

Hydroptere has paid all her bills with the new owners, including all of the costs to Hawaii.

• Like 1

I'd like to see proof that they cleared ALL the mooring/dockage fees going back to their arrival, not just the costs since the auction.

I hear you. 

But this isn’t just any fiberglass sailboat offloaded on your island. 

And I’m not looking to defend illegal dumping anywhere.

4 minutes ago, longy said:

I'd like to see proof that they cleared ALL the mooring/dockage fees going back to their arrival, not just the costs since the auction.

I talked with the dock master, $14k was paid about two years ago, and another $8500 at the auction. 

you dont have to believe me, but she is curently being loved

3 minutes ago, multihuler said:

I talked with the dock master

Which harbor master? More than one would have been involved.

It would be wonderful if the new owners have cleared up all the monetary debts including the ones they may not have been required to. It would be nice if that was public knowledge and verifiable. That might go some way to repairing the reputational damage caused, too.

19 minutes ago, multihuler said:

I talked with the dock master, $14k was paid about two years ago, and another $8500 at the auction. 

you dont have to believe me, but she is curently being loved

You said departure a few days ago.  I'm sure I missed it but where is she going?  Thanks.  

9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You said departure a few days ago.  I'm sure I missed it but where is she going?  Thanks.  

San Francisco

Its Hawaii, how many 100s of mainland American boats have been dumped and abandoned there over the years? 

ill bet its a yuge number.

Super cool....maybe it will come to Lake Michigan and tackle the Chi-Mac record....seems everyone else with record breaking boat has... 

Imagine putting wheels on the ends of the foils and showing up at Buring Man with the Hydroptere and blast reaching all over the salt pan of the Playa! Not that far from SF...

Those are two extremes but Hydroptere would expand the scale considerably!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

a truly innovative one-off product. 

Other than the scale, what was there in Hydroptere  that hadn't been done before?

16 hours ago, multihuler said:

Hydroptere has paid all her bills with the new owners, including all of the costs to Hawaii.

I am pleased that the new owners are acting responsibly- and they have no responsibility beyond the auction.  The previous owners tied the boat up and ran.  Apparently, they have a reputation for this sort of thing.  

Who exactly was the prior owner? Seems that with all the sponsors and obligations that go along with such deals, it would be hard to pinpoint the responsibility for the boat being left in Hawaii. There were some serious pressures put on the crew to delay their departure from CA to better time the arrival of the RTW electric airplane due to arrive in HA. Hence the Hydroptere missed a great weather window during which a couple of new crossing records were set. The plane got held up in China/Japan anyway.

You think they left this beast in this hanger in HA?

1280px-Solar_Impulse_2_Oahu_Hawaii_April_2016.jpg

https://www.hawaiiweblog.com/2015/06/28/hydroptere-solar-impulse

Maybe Prince Albert should have picked up the tab in Hawaii? 

3576-20150710090530000000.jpg

Image may contain: sky, ocean, boat, cloud, mountain, outdoor, water and nature

https://www.fpa2.org/details_actualite.php?idactu=3576&lang=en

https://losangeles.consulfrance.org/spip.php?article2650

Maybe Mumm Champagne or Finesse?

3 hours ago, JimC said:

Other than the scale, what was there in Hydroptere  that hadn't been done before?

Sail faster than anything else; holder of the world speed record in 2009.

Duh...

And one could argue the ONLY 500 meter record holder that was an actual sea-going boat.

https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/500-metre

• Like 2

Not to bore anyone,  Hydroptere is saved,

Next, it is about 72 hours before Dorian hits Florida, 

Lucky Strike, possibly the coolest Newick trimaran ever built is in escrow, at West Palm beach, with no insurance.

My Flight leaves at midnight.

The plan is to fill the hulls with water, of course remove all canvas, throw out a couple of anchors, and hopefully find a few tires to backup the fenders on her side tie.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ps, if she survives there are openings for crew, sailing up to Walter Greenes, as soon as the seas settle down

3854712_20180911123641182_1_XLARGE.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, multihuler said:

Ps, if she survives there are openings for crew, sailing up to Walter Greenes, as soon as the seas settle down

BTW, a recent picture of Walter Greene on the yard's Facebook page. Wish him well when you get there, please.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Greene-Marine/170390972975003

15 hours ago, multihuler said:

Lucky Strike, possibly the coolest Newick trimaran ever built is in escrow, at West Palm beach, with no insurance.

The plan is to fill the hulls with water, of course remove all canvas, throw out a couple of anchors, and hopefully find a few tires to backup the fenders on her side tie.

Cheers,

Stephen

Will that settle it in the muck or just trying to weigh it down so it won't blow away?

15 hours ago, multihuler said:

Cheers,

Stephen

Where is the cat you had re-rigged in NC?

Good to see someone looking out for Lucky Strike, truly a unique Newick.

16 hours ago, multihuler said:

Cheers,

Stephen

If the track trends continue, you should be safe, in West Palm.

- Stumbling

On 7/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Moore Play said:

Negatory, still on the mooring. It is near the back of the mooring fleet so I didn't get close enough to see if any work has been done to prep her for a move

The saga may continue, she is not saved yet. When I went in to pay my slip fees two days ago I blundered into a cordial but animated discussion between the Ke`ehi harbormater and a gentleman with a distnct french accent, gist of which was; HM:You need to do a buoy run. FG: What is that? After explanation, FG: You know we can not do that at this time! HM: You also need the $20,000 .00 Insurance Policy. FG:We only need to stay for September and actually only for two weeks! We plan to leave the second week of September  you have us trapped! There were only two bidders at the auction!!! If you impound the boat you will be back at the beginning and you will be trapped, again!

At this point I could not stay, fascinating as it was, I think it was also implied that L'Hydroptere also needed to pass an inspecton. Those of you whom have had the pleasure to deal with the boating division of the Hawaii State DNLR know exactly what this post is about. They are much nicer than they used to be, however, the rules are the rules.The harbormastes ARE hamstrung. The state gives them absolutely no room for lieniancy  or negotiation re: extenuating circumstances. The harbormaster was polite and respectful, the French gentleman was also polite, but obviously frustrated, and exasperated while doing his best not to lose it. And this state wonders why people grumble about it being unfriendly to boaters.

1 hour ago, Moore Play said:

Those of you whom have had the pleasure to deal with the boating division of the Hawaii State DNLR know exactly what this post is about.

Indeed, I've had the pleasure of dealing with just about every harbour master in Hawaii, and I've got to say that there actually were a few really nice ones... ;)

And half the harbours/marina's were rather shitty too, maybe that rubbed off on them. Everywhere else in the u.s.a., and I have been in more than a few, they were nearly all very forthcoming. As well as anywhere else in the world really, with just a few exceptions. Ironically perhaps the worst was in France, in St.Tropez where the assistant harbour master rammed my boat, on purpose. Quelle putain de merde!

Anyway, good to hear the Hawaiian harbour masters are now much nicer than they used to be, and good luck to the kind frenchman who is trying so hard to save the Hydroptère!

On 8/30/2019 at 5:21 PM, multihuler said:

Cheers,

Stephen

Nice one!

Stay south for a few days more then seems good.

No offense to anyone intended,  but do you want to be on Hydroptere going the 'wrong' way.  I have a pal who raced and delivered back a Ranger One Ton in the '72 or so timeframe.  His story was great, first day, 20 miles ahead of Chutzpah, second day, still close reaching, 30 miles ahead of Chutzpah, third day, in the trades, 30 miles behind Chutzpah. 

He delivered the Ranger home with his fiancé and they are still together.  As he put it, two days on stbd tack close hauled hating life, and then a tack and a not so bad ride home.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:06 PM, Moore Play said:

The saga may continue, she is not saved yet. When I went in to pay my slip fees two days ago I blundered into a cordial but animated discussion between the Ke`ehi harbormater and a gentleman with a distnct french accent, gist of which was; HM:You need to do a buoy run. FG: What is that? After explanation, FG: You know we can not do that at this time! HM: You also need the $20,000 .00 Insurance Policy. FG:We only need to stay for September and actually only for two weeks! We plan to leave the second week of September  you have us trapped! There were only two bidders at the auction!!! If you impound the boat you will be back at the beginning and you will be trapped, again!

At this point I could not stay, fascinating as it was, I think it was also implied that L'Hydroptere also needed to pass an inspecton. Those of you whom have had the pleasure to deal with the boating division of the Hawaii State DNLR know exactly what this post is about. They are much nicer than they used to be, however, the rules are the rules.The harbormastes ARE hamstrung. The state gives them absolutely no room for lieniancy  or negotiation re: extenuating circumstances. The harbormaster was polite and respectful, the French gentleman was also polite, but obviously frustrated, and exasperated while doing his best not to lose it. And this state wonders why people grumble about it being unfriendly to boaters.

Only  in Hawaii (or Russia) could you have the state sell you a boat with a blown engine and then demand while they are staring at a new engine on a pallet that you prove today that the vessel is capable of going out around the entrance buoy so you can stay on the mooring. And oh, by the way, we don't want you to install the new engine while you are on the mooring because that would be doing boat maintenance on a mooring which is not allowed. 

The boat has been moved and is now wharfside. New winches have been installed, the wiring restored, and all kinds of neglected maintenance accomplished. Next up is the engine install which is the last step before the boat leaving for her new home base in California.

The boat is well on its way to being saved.

• Like 7

^ So do you reckon that Hydroptere is just tied to the dock along the stumpy 15 ft outer hull! :o :D

2 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

I think we can now say that l’Hydroptère is no longer abandoned!

A pessimist would say that l’Hydroptère is now in the process of being re-abandoned.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IStream said:

A pessimist would say that l’Hydroptère is now in the process of being re-abandoned.

A true pessimist might say that's the case with all boats.  Maybe even all things.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ragtime said:

Only  in Hawaii (or Russia) could you have the state sell you a boat with a blown engine and then demand while they are staring at a new engine on a pallet that you prove today that the vessel is capable of going out around the entrance buoy so you can stay on the mooring. And oh, by the way, we don't want you to install the new engine while you are on the mooring because that would be doing boat maintenance on a mooring which is not allowed. 

The boat has been moved and is now wharfside. New winches have been installed, the wiring restored, and all kinds of neglected maintenance accomplished. Next up is the engine install which is the last step before the boat leaving for her new home base in California.

The boat is well on its way to being saved.

The interesting thing is that they picked on this boat when the mooring field is stuffed with sunken/half-sunken/derelict vessels that can't move and haven't moved for a long, long time.

Those boats aren't "famous" speed machines worthy of a museum dedicated to them.     

(in purple?)

shooting for a September departure

Wow, quite late to leave the islands.   Good luck to those involved.

3 hours ago, socalrider said:

A true pessimist might say that's the case with all boats.  Maybe even all things.  

San Diego by way of Paris, perhaps?

2 hours ago, IStream said:

San Diego by way of Paris, perhaps?

Naah,  just a touch of la nausee

Well, I feel like that Hydroptère project is part of my DNA having watched it for cripes!, how long has that project been going?, and if you guys can get that thing going again that will be an amazing achievement. Good luck and determination. 

• Like 1

I believe it is now or is very soon to be on its way to San Francisco.

25 minutes ago, fan said:

I believe it is now or is very soon to be on its way to San Francisco.

Good news, indeed! Thanks for the update and good luck to the delivery.

Lat: 25.053130Lon: -151.931820 as of 05NOV. Moving along in the right direction.

• Like 1

Update: 

Nov 9, 20192:41:45 PM

Found good breeze been sustaining 10kts plus for 12hrs 

Speed: 12.2 mphCourse: NE

Elevation: 14.34 ft.

Lat: 28.672535Lon: -143.685100

Moving faster with more wind. Just about half way to SFO.

Thanks Paul. 

Can’t believe this is actually happening

This article (in French) gives a good synopsis of what’s been going on and the people involved: Gabriel Terasse & Chris Welsch: 

https://www.bateaux.com/article/32311/j-ai-rachete-l-hydroptere-pour-8500?fbclid=IwAR1K-6h7vUV1AixTHQTALRLGMdxvSRuSuZa9mqqnwStgFjoysvfbzY8zIDM

They had a lot to do  to get her ready to sail again.  

• Like 1

Following is the article from Bateaux, written by François-Xavier Ricardou and published the 6 NOV 2019,  using Google Translate and some additional clarifications. Can you imagine an article this long in an American sailing magazine?  Maybe a WoodenBoat article on Hereshoff or the Pardeys could come close.  :

It's a totally crazy story! L'Hydroptère, the flying yacht, has been abandoned since 2012 in a port on an island in Hawaii. Sold at auction, it will be bought by a Franco-American duo: Gabriel Terrasse and Chris Welsh. Here’s the story of this change of ownership and perspectives for the future of this iconic sailboat.

In 1997, Gabriel discovered at the Nautic (Paris) show a photo of the hydrofoil in full flight. He’s starstruck. He then searches the net (which is still in its infancy), but can not find information on the boat. He then decides to make a site about the boat and presents it to Alain Thébault, skipper and driver of the Hydroptère project. It then becomes "official website" for some time, but its place is quickly taken over by the communication service of DCNS, project partner at the time. From then on this young man follows the story of this mythical boat from afar.  

Gabriel is not strictly speaking just a boater. He likes to go fast on the water. Cruising bores him rather quickly, which is why he sails a sport catamaran. And the story of l'Hydroptère touches him. And he thinks that this sailboat should not end up in a museum and that it still has potential (despite its 25 years of age). He would like to try to revive the adventure of this world's fastest sailing ship to see her conquer another record.

He learns that for not paying harbor fees to Kewalo on the island of Honolulu (Hawaii), the boat will be auctioned for $ 20,000. Although not having sailed for 3 years, the boat is still 100% operational at this time. But someone informs Alain Thébault of the sale, and the amount due is paid, canceling the auction. The sailboat will leave the port to anchor a few miles away, at Keehi, but it does not really navigate.

Again in default of payment in May 2019, it will be resubmitted to auction. This time the boat is no longer in the same state, because when abandoned it was stripped of its deck hardware and electronics. Starting price: $ 8000. Gabriel goes to Hawaii for this auction. In the United States, he manages to convert enough dollars to apply for the sale, and negotiates with the auction manager to leave the boat for another 1 month if he succeeds in acquiring it (otherwise the boat would have had to leave the port 3 days after the end of the auction).

Incidentally, he learns that the American Chris Welsh will also be present for the auction. Rather than compete with him, he decides to meet him before the auction. There follows a memorable evening where they each explain to the other their  interests in the boat. But Gabriel manages to change Welsh’s mind and also understands that an association would be better than a fight. They agree on a 50/50 co-ownership and write a contract to this effect. The next day, June 28, 2019, about 25 people are in the auction room. After the opening of the sale, our duo bid: $ 8,500 ... and no one raises. They were the only 2 to be interested in this boat, mythical in France, but so little  known in the USA.

Owners, they will be able to board for the first time. L'Hydroptère is still moored at the buoy. But she is not nice to see. The central hull is full of water, oil and diesel. Indeed, the hydraulic cylinders were dismantled and left draining all the oil inside. The fuel tank was stripped and emptied.  And an open porthole allowed water to infiltrate. Otherwise the structure of the boat seems intact. The mast and the boom are in place, as well as a mainsail completely eaten by the UV.

They have a month to get l'Hydroptère out of the harbor. It is only after 2.5 months of work, still moored to the buoy (so without water or electricity ...), that the team will be able to tow it to the nearby port. Before unblocking the rudder they had to find out that the engine was screwed despite the installation of a new tank ...

It is finally at the pier in Kewolo that the boat is restored to sailing condition. But beware, there is no question of flying on foils for now, it's just a matter of repatriating her to California where Chris Welsh has a boatyard. So you have to prepare her for a crossing of 2000 miles, because transport by cargo is much too expensive. For this, a new engine is installed with a huge fuel tank (600 l plus 10 jerrycans), as well as a three-bladed propeller. A jib and a mainsail (much too small) are also suitable. Life raft, basic electronics, berths ... are equipped to allow the crew to make this transpacific trip

To solve the lack of anti-drift plane, the 2 foils will be lowered, as vertically as possible by adjusting the incidence to zero so as not to make the boat want to take off. This is to do a delivery, not a speed run! The crew of 3 is counting on a speed of 7 knots which should make a crossing in about 20 days. The start was made on Saturday, November 3rd, 2019..

On arrival in San Francisco, the flying yacht will enter the boatyard to carry out a structural check and replace her hydraulic equipment. The goal will be to put her in the same condition as before she was abandoned in order for her to  be able to really sail.  After this phase 1 of the renovation, the boat should fly again in San Francisco Bay. Her new owner hopes that this stage will be reached in the spring of 2020 (or maybe in the summer ...).

Phase 2, which is expected to see improvements to the sailboat, is planned later, with notably the hope of a return to France of this flying sailboat. But everything will depend on the funding that will have to be found ...

Fascinating. They should be a bit more than half way across by now.  Sounds like they have enough fuel to power most of the way if they had to. 

• Like 3

Position update rcvd this evening.  The fishing seems to be good, too. 

L'Hydroptere 2.0
Nov 12, 20194:21:15 PM

Got a big mahi mahi on board this morning   love you guys 

Speed: 7.56 mph Course: ENE
Elevation: -5.58 ft.  
Lat: 34.933711 Lon: -134.937108

Link showing position on map is here:  inr.ch/VLKD4AB 

17 hours ago, PaulK said:

Position update rcvd this evening.  The fishing seems to be good, too. 

L'Hydroptere 2.0
Nov 12, 20194:21:15 PM

Got a big mahi mahi on board this morning   love you guys 

Speed: 7.56 mph Course: ENE
Elevation: -5.58 ft.  
Lat: 34.933711 Lon: -134.937108

Link showing position on map is here:  inr.ch/VLKD4AB 

another 630 nm, or 4 days or so at their current speed.

A bit faster today:

Nov 13, 201912:08:30 PM

More than 3 quarter now 

Speed: 8.86 mph Course: ENE
Elevation: -12.24 ft.  
Lat: 35.766731 Lon: -132.293973

Link for map: inr.ch/5526HUZ

Wish we could get pictures, but the budget isn’t as big as it is for Brest Atlantiques.