Sign in to follow this  
Alcatraz5768

New Raceboat Builds

The loss of Ran Tan has got me in a bit of a melancholy mood, and I wondered how many new raceboat builds are happening ATM to replace the old boats falling off the other end. I know there are 3 or 4 ac boats, and maybe 1/2doz tp52s each year, but how many more? A sign of the slow demise of of sport I suppose. 

Haven’t read Seahorse in years, but they used to have a good list of new builds years ago. Not sure if they still do, does Seahorse exist anymore? 

8 minutes ago, mad said:

Haven’t read Seahorse in years, but they used to have a good list of new builds years ago. Not sure if they still do, does Seahorse exist anymore? 

Yes, it's still there.  Seahorse isn't going anywhere soon.  And the newbuild list is on page 57 of the current issue (471).  Series build on the 2 following pages.  About 100 boats, including the series builds, so rather more than that will be hitting the water.  Everything from minis, Class 40, Imoca 60 to big Baltics.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Yes, it's still there.  Seahorse isn't going anywhere soon.  And the newbuild list is on page 57 of the current issue (471).  Series build on the 2 following pages.  About 100 boats, including the series builds, so rather more than that will be hitting the water.  Everything from minis, Class 40, Imoca 60 to big Baltics.

Cheers, it went through a dull patch years ago and I stopped subscribing. Is worth picking up again? 

15 minutes ago, mad said:

Cheers, it went through a dull patch years ago and I stopped subscribing. Is worth picking up again? 

Yes, definitely.  Even better would be to join the RORC, and you get it for free.  Excellent cheap accommodation in the heart of the West End, a convivial clubhouse in Cowes, and all round the deal of the century.  Can't go wrong.  Also, waving the membership card can succeed in getting you into many other clubs round the marble for a refreshing glass of something.

• Like 1

Seahorse is still a good read but I have a different reason for appreciating that mag for it was in the back pages of an issue in 2000 that I first learned about an irreverent sailing website based out of Southern California. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Yes, definitely.  Even better would be to join the RORC, and you get it for free.  Excellent cheap accommodation in the heart of the West End, a convivial clubhouse in Cowes, and all round the deal of the century.  Can't go wrong.  Also, waving the membership card can succeed in getting you into many other clubs round the marble for a refreshing glass of something.

I’ll buy a copy before I start signing up again.

Clear your inbox P_Wop. 

3 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

1/2doz tp52s

That's a little strong. They tend to get built in spurts, but not that kind of number year in year out.

2 hours ago, mad said:

I’ll buy a copy before I start signing up again.

Clear your inbox P_Wop. 

Done.  Thinned it a bit.  Too small anyway...

3 hours ago, doghouse said:

That's a little strong. They tend to get built in spurts, but not that kind of number year in year out.

Average. 

had a look through some old Seahorses, my sub has lapsed, and it looks to me like a lot of those build listings are ages out of date.

11 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Seahorse is still a good read but I have a different reason for appreciating that mag for it was in the back pages of an issue in 2000 that I first learned about an irreverent sailing website based out of Southern California. 

Think of all the time you would have on your hands for doing important stuff if only you hadn't read that back page! :ph34r:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Average. 

Yeah, that's not the average is what I'm saying. 

To answer your original question, yes there are still new race boats being built.

18 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Think of all the time you would have on your hands for doing important stuff if only you hadn't read that back page! :ph34r:

There have been incalculable benefits through my involvement in this site, both personally and professionally. I have met some great (and not so great) people through being on here over the last 19 years and I have formed some lasting friendships too. It has been highly informative at times and has also provided many laughs . I have even sold some boats, both to and for my fellow anarchists over the journey.I have contributed my fair share and have enjoyed most of the contributions of others in this wild and wacky little community.

All round, it has been a great experience and I wouldn't have missed it for quids. Looking forward to seeing what the future of SA brings.

(Ed - deposit the usual amount in my SA account, thanks.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cazzate said:

Sportivo ? 

2 hours ago, Cazzate said:

Sportivo ? 

Sold quite recently. 

On 6/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, doghouse said:

Yeah, that's not the average is what I'm saying. 

To answer your original question, yes there are still new race boats being built.

Your new optimist doesn't count.

3 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Your new optimist doesn't count.

Yeah but it was a really expensive optimist

NEB have no current race boat builds.  Bella Mente was the last one.  There is a commercial boat that looks like it might be a ferry and a few fit outs.

2 hours ago, doghouse said:

Yeah but it was a really expensive optimist

They all are these days since the Opti parent driven arms race kicked in.

14 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

They all are these days since the Opti parent driven arms race kicked in.

His was extra expensive because it had to be scaled up in size to fit his adult frame but.

16 hours ago, savoir said:

NEB have no current race boat builds.  Bella Mente was the last one.  There is a commercial boat that looks like it might be a ferry and a few fit outs.

That's what I mean. I can't remember the last raceboat built in NZ, prob Provensa? Tp52, but before that?????

They were years ago. Smaller keel boats, Anarchy, and a 36'ish blue RP design, but again, years ago, and I think both by YDL. 

Yep. Built in oz, really cool boat, couple,maybe 3 years old now. Probably the newest actual new boat on the scene.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, doghouse said:

Only 1 built this year for Bronenosec. About every two years they go through a build cycle of new boats, I think 8-9 last year.

1 hour ago, hhn92 said:

Only 1 built this year for Bronenosec. About every two years they go through a build cycle of new boats, I think 8-9 last year.

I think last year was 7

On 6/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, savoir said:

NEB have no current race boat builds. 

Because it cost infinity billion dollars for them to build one.

You have to spend that much if you want to win.  No doubt the new Bella Mente will win plenty.

39 minutes ago, savoir said:

You have to spend that much if you want to win.  

Er, no. You can get an equally good boat at many other builders for a lot less money. 

There's a reason none of the new 52s were built there.

51 minutes ago, savoir said:

You have to spend that much if you want to win.  No doubt the new Bella Mente will win plenty.

What has the boat achieved to date?

Somewhere between not much and bugger all.  At least let them finish their first summer.  It only launched in October 2018.

2 hours ago, doghouse said:

Er, no. You can get an equally good boat at many other builders for a lot less money. 

There's a reason none of the new 52s were built there.

It could also have been a choice by the team to keep re-investing in the yard and contractors that built their previous boats. I would have thought this would be seen as a positive thing for a US team when the easy option would have been to go abroad...?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NZK said:

It could also have been a choice by the team to keep re-investing in the yard and contractors that built their previous boats.

I'm sure that is exactly what it was for Hap.

• Like 1

What other cool race boats have been launched, especially in the sub 40' range. Maybe we should be taking better care of the existing fleet?

I mean, cool is subjective, but about 20 IC37s, a Club Swan 36, a few Carkeek 40s, a couple Botin 40s off the top of my head. Denali^3 is new 46 footer. I'm sure there's a few others as well I'm not recalling at the moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

What other cool race boats have been launched, especially in the sub 40' range. Maybe we should be taking better care of the existing fleet?

Fast 40 RAN.  Pretty badass.  I'm assuming custom boats under 40' are fucking expensive.  RAN was built by a billionaire.  Hell, even production race boats under 40 feet are few and far between.  Builders can't make money on them and they're still a couple hundred thousand.  But as Doghouse said, there are still quite a few new under 40's out there. 

Blink the only other relatively recent one in NZ. And not that recent now.

To replace ran tan with a new build 50 foot equivalent would be pricey. I can't think of much second hand in NZ or overseas that I'd rather have if I was the owner though.

Maybe they look at something like Patrice if that's still for sale in Sydney?

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

How long does yacht racing have left I wonder? 

Not long, but not because of new raceboat builds. 

the latest new race boats in NZ I reckon are 

Blink - pretty awesome boat. canting keel and nice layout down below and on deck. This would be a really good replacement for Ran Tan. But rumours say that she cost in excess of $ 900k to build. The owners of Blink had the molds/ plug up for sale a year or so ago.  The plug could possibly be built into a boat. Also all the systems and bugs are now worked out so would be a great project. Would do everything Ran tan did but is BP's pockets that deep?

Anarchy and Clockwork ( previously General lee) - Had some issues originally ( nose diving) but with keel modification both of these boats are pretty nice and have excellent racing. Fixed keel so easier to maintain and build. Again lots of the bugs worked out and a growing fleet. 

Young Guns - Really nice boat which was really sweet straight out of the box. She has shown moments of brilliance. Possibly a bit short, she gets gassed by Anarchy, Clockwork and the 40's and she's sticky in the light. Goes like a train downwind tho. 

Botin 40 , tp52 carkeek 40 are all other options as these are cheaper options to buy from Europe or USA than build.

It would be REALLY nice to see another Blink, Anarchy or Young guns on the racetrack. Rantan will be sorely missed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

How long does yacht racing have left I wonder? 

Were you born this fucked in the head or did you take lessons?

9 hours ago, savoir said:

Somewhere between not much and bugger all.  At least let them finish their first summer.  It only launched in October 2018.

Sounds like the last boat. 

7 hours ago, doghouse said:

I'm sure that is exactly what it was for Hap.

If the owner is happy and not getting fleeced, who cares?  He won’t be the first boat owner to end up owning the yard to finish his boat. :lol:

2 hours ago, philstar said:

Blink - pretty awesome boat. canting keel and nice layout down below and on deck. This would be a really good replacement for Ran Tan. But rumours say that she cost in excess of $ 900k to build. The owners of Blink had the molds/ plug up for sale a year or so ago.  The plug could possibly be built into a boat. Also all the systems and bugs are now worked out so would be a great project. Would do everything Ran tan did but is BP's pockets that deep?

Anarchy and Clockwork ( previously General lee) - Had some issues originally ( nose diving) but with keel modification both of these boats are pretty nice and have excellent racing. Fixed keel so easier to maintain and build. Again lots of the bugs worked out and a growing fleet. 

Young Guns - Really nice boat which was really sweet straight out of the box. She has shown moments of brilliance. Possibly a bit short, she gets gassed by Anarchy, Clockwork and the 40's and she's sticky in the light. Goes like a train downwind tho. 

Botin 40 , tp52 carkeek 40 are all other options as these are cheaper options to buy from Europe or USA than build.

It would be REALLY nice to see another Blink, Anarchy or Young guns on the racetrack. Rantan will be sorely missed. 

Can you post any pictures or links?  Thanks 

3 hours ago, mad said:

Sounds like the last boat. 

Apart from multiple line honour and overall wins at the Carib 600, Maxi 72 World Championships, Copa del Rey and Key West race week..... (did I miss some sarcasm or do we just have different interpretations of 'nothing'?)

Are there Fast 40s being built in NZ/Aus? None of the UK based owners have pulled the trigger on anything to rival the new Ran yet, there was one team that almost did last year but backed out in the end... Apparently Zennstrom has made the plans for Ran available to other prospective owners to try and promote more new builds..

Given the cycle of TP builds there might be a few of the 52 Super Series boats coming up at the end of the season. Also Luna Rossa have at least one that must surely be redundant and Onda is out of the Series circuit at least...

On 6/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

That's what I mean. I can't remember the last raceboat built in NZ, prob Provensa? Tp52, but before that?????

There was that funny flying two hulled thing that did some regatta in Bermuda

All good points, except Gorn, must have touched a nerve there, and boats, and let's not forget Crusader and Bushido and the 9m one as well. But they are few and far between. Companies keep trying to build production raceboats to rival what the Farr 40 was but no one has come close. It sucks, but it is what is. 

I believe one problem is that the sport is slowly dwindling and there is nothing new being tried, no new regattas, no new formats, etc. I am hoping to run 2 events later this year totally different to anything seen before, just to see if that's what owners and crews are interested in. It may be a flop, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

5 hours ago, NZK said:

Are there Fast 40s being built in NZ/Aus?

Van Munster has a package on offer but no one has taken them up yet that I know of.

2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

But they are few and far between. 

Um, I think the point is they aren't few and far between...

Crusader, bushido, overload, blink, anarchy, general lee and young guns. 7 new boats built over the last 6-7 years is few and far between. 

9 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Crusader, bushido, overload, blink, anarchy, general lee and young guns. 7 new boats built over the last 6-7 years is few and far between. 

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Agreed not too many boats in the last 10 years, but possible additions to the list (NZL) :

Equilibrium - Botin 55
     Learning Curve - Shaw 950
     Hijinx - Z 39, though a slow build so really a 2000s boat
     Hupane - Class 40, though not sure if built here and may be pre 2010
     Tongue Twister - Beau 28, though technically a complete rebuild of (I think) Liquor De Split
     Spank - Beau 770

and adding in sports / trailer boats :

Deep Purple - Shaw 750
     Forty Four Forty - Shaw 750 (TY assoc compliant)
     Angry Dragon, Daisy Duke - Shaw 7
     Ghost Rider - Bieker 650 though may not have been built here
     Sailing Gallery, Slick Willy - Leech 650
     Just Cruisin, Hetties Gift - Leech 8
     Red Hot Pawn - Thompson 7500
     Magic Box, Magic Trick, Money Shot - Shaw 650s

Though the Leeches in both cases may be same boat with new names and sail numbers and of course the Shaw 650 is really pre 2010 in terms of design.

Vague memory there may be a Shaw 11 or 12 in build in South Island and the Crusader folk were doing something in the forty size ??

30' Sporty "The Cadillac", Fred Barrett Designed, Windrush Yachts Built, launched December 2014.

Always looks to be making light work of the heavy Freo Doctor, also looks tidy as fk on deck.

There's been upwards of a hundred race boats built in the past 7 years, depending on how big a scope you want to include even 150 to 200.

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:14 PM, doghouse said:

There's been upwards of a hundred race boats built in the past 7 years, depending on how big a scope you want to include even 150 to 200.

Not if you are in New Zealand which the OP is and I think he was referring to NZ builds not US 

30 minutes ago, Cazzate said:

Not if you are in New Zealand which the OP is and I think he was referring to NZ builds not US 

Almost seems like the NZ market has decided cost/benefit leaves you better off buying a 35 year old Ross 930 and spending a relatively small amount on keel/prod/a sails or 25 year old e1050 than spending much more on a new build and not going much faster...

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, philstar said:

$900k?  Our 40’ ULDB bespoke cruising sled would run that if she were built now....

Our class 8.5 tri was built in 2013. Nz dosent have the loot or numbers of people like oz Europe or Usa plus Auckland House prices are out of control so all extra loot goes to pay off the incredible mortgages. 

Crusader was and epic boat an expensive one ,but all the fun regattas on the rolex calander hated it so she got stung with a Irc rating 1.3?? Something. Hard to justify shipping your boat around the globe when ur never going to get a win on Irc unless u buy a caravan and optimise it. 

7 hours ago, Cazzate said:

I'm not referring to just US builds. This is a global website, so he would need to say that in the title.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, mad said:

Can you post any pictures or links?  Thanks 

Gidday. Blink here.  Surely you've seen these?  They say more than a spec sheet ...

On 6/10/2019 at 11:14 PM, doghouse said:

Possibly, but back in the day there was that amount of boats built every year, or more. Think of all the boats built for all the regattas since passed, Admirals cup, Kenwood cup, big boat series, etc. 

i am talking world wide, pure raceboats are on the wan whilst irc caravans are the new hot thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

irc caravans are the new hot thing

In what fucking galaxy? They were the hot thing a decade ago maybe.