Sign in to follow this  
bdu98252

Sustain-ably Stupid

Recommended Posts

I came across this article from Heather Richie and it made me question my sanity. So if we read the link on how the TP 52 series is sustainable it would seem that the following points have been overlooked. 

- The series requires boats to be shipped around the med if not wider. 

- The owners and crew primarily fly to the events. 

- The boats need a high powered chase boat to carry their lunch and a load of sails when it would seem the 52ft yacht might be capable of performing this function. 

On the plus side they make their own water as presumably they could not possibly rely on the water of the local population they are visiting. Seriously what the fuck. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, why the fuck do you link to the front page, without any adult warning.

You are not new here, you should know better.

And as for your comments, yaaaaaaawn!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with bdu, while the sentiment is fine, the hypocrisy inherent in them claiming sustainability by touting their refillable water bottles and sponsoring things to keep their expensive marinas clean is a bit rich given the collective carbon footprint that these teams represent.  In addition to all the other things bdu mentioned, let’s not forget the posh housing that is inevitably rented for teams, cars, trucks etc.  Also the very act of building boats and sails involved using a tremendous amount of fossil fuels in the form of various composites.  During the construction of hulls, sails, spars etc there is also the release of god knows how many noxious VOCs in addition to all of the waste generated by any kind of boat manufacturing.  There just seems to be a lot of self congratulation going on with these “initiatives”.   As far as I can tell, 11th hour racing got the ball rolling with this particular form of billionaires environmentalism.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly reads of green-washing. But if the message is bringing the conversation higher to the public eye is 11th hour successful?

Didn't see anyone whining about their part and message in the VOR... :ph34r:
Positive reinforcement seems to go farther than bashing, and reducing trash/waste isn't a black and white process. Grey is green..er.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Solution

To Pollution

Is Population

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

D8FNYiEXYAAxu6f.jpg_large

Those TP52 sure are sustainable when they put them on a ship to get between millionaires holiday venues. Sorry serious sailing competitions. If the answer to climate change is controlling the population then maybe these guys should stop having any children as they are bashing out the most CO2 by the looks of things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eliboat said:

I agree with bdu, while the sentiment is fine, the hypocrisy inherent in them claiming sustainability by touting their refillable water bottles and sponsoring things to keep their expensive marinas clean is a bit rich given the collective carbon footprint that these teams represent.  In addition to all the other things bdu mentioned, let’s not forget the posh housing that is inevitably rented for teams, cars, trucks etc.  Also the very act of building boats and sails involved using a tremendous amount of fossil fuels in the form of various composites.  During the construction of hulls, sails, spars etc there is also the release of god knows how many noxious VOCs in addition to all of the waste generated by any kind of boat manufacturing.  There just seems to be a lot of self congratulation going on with these “initiatives”.   As far as I can tell, 11th hour racing got the ball rolling with this particular form of billionaires environmentalism.   

They probably fly their private jets to attend conferences on climate change.

Then again, think of all the carbon they pull out of the environment and embed in their hulls, rigs & sails. :ph34r:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bdu98252 said:
 

D8FNYiEXYAAxu6f.jpg_large

Those TP52 sure are sustainable when they put them on a ship to get between millionaires holiday venues. Sorry serious sailing competitions. If the answer to climate change is controlling the population then maybe these guys should stop having any children as they are bashing out the most CO2 by the looks of things. 

 

"climate change" is just a hipster phrase.

the real issue is pollution, of all sorts, - plastic in the ocean, metals in the water, co & co2 in the air.

talking about "climate change" just conveniently by passes the real issue  and helps avoid discussing the real cause of pollution........people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree, see also superyachts and private jets. It is widely reported the 0.1% own and control wealth in staggering numbers compared to the rest of us. I would hazard a guess that their carbon footprints are also proportionally out sized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TP52s are relatively modest boats when compared to maxis and assorted mega-yachts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parma said:

"climate change" is just a hipster phrase.

the real issue is pollution, of all sorts, - plastic in the ocean, metals in the water, co & co2 in the air. 

talking about "climate change" just conveniently by passes the real issue  and helps avoid discussing the real cause of pollution........people!

Climate change is happening and life will have to adapt. Timing and intensity are very uncertain but temperatures and sea levels will continue to rise on average for the foreseeable future. While reducing the impacts of civilization on climate could moderate those changes significant temperature and sea level rise is nearly inevitable. If all humanity was teleported off planet today and all human pollution stopped because of hysteresis and where we are in the natural cycle of the climate sea levels would continue to rise. The world will have less land and will likely be significantly warmer in 100 years. If there are people in the world they'll have to adapt. Climate seems like a real issue and a reasonable topic of discussion to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spankoka said:

TP52s are relatively modest boats when compared to maxis and assorted mega-yachts.

Unless you’re shipping them around on your own ship every few weeks during the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, V21 said:

Totally agree, see also superyachts and private jets. It is widely reported the 0.1% own and control wealth in staggering numbers compared to the rest of us. I would hazard a guess that their carbon footprints are also proportionally out sized.

I read an article years ago about Al Gore and determined that he uses more energy to heat his fucking pool than my wife & I use in total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spankoka said:

TP52s are relatively modest boats when compared to maxis and assorted mega-yachts.

I met a guy at the fastener store and we got talking. He owned a TP 52 and had just bought a new main - $47,000 USD.  That's more than the purchase price of my last 4 boats combined.

Yeah - relatively modest.

Relative to what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I met a guy at the fastener store and we got talking. He owned a TP 52 and had just bought a new main - $47,000 USD.  That's more than the purchase price of my last 4 boats combined.

Yeah - relatively modest.

Relative to what?

I think he was saying superyachts or something like that, however having an active TP52 campaign involves so much more than just a boat, and the cost is terrifying.  I remember shouting at the TV last year watching one of the TP52 super series promos where some guy is saying “you have to be sailing TP52s if you’re serious about sailing...”. Suuuuure.  I guess the plattners are twice as serious as everyone else!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, weightless said:

Climate change is happening and life will have to adapt. Timing and intensity are very uncertain but temperatures and sea levels will continue to rise on average for the foreseeable future. While reducing the impacts of civilization on climate could moderate those changes significant temperature and sea level rise is nearly inevitable. If all humanity was teleported off planet today and all human pollution stopped because of hysteresis and where we are in the natural cycle of the climate sea levels would continue to rise. The world will have less land and will likely be significantly warmer in 100 years. If there are people in the world they'll have to adapt. Climate seems like a real issue and a reasonable topic of discussion to me. 

In fact there is a countervailing and equally plausible set of facts & theories that predict global colding & sea level sink will precede global warming and SLR. Whichever way you go it's root cause is too much pollution caused by way too many people.

I just wish all the hipsters would stop talking about "climate change" and focus instead on population reduction so some real progress might be made, but instead the focus is on cutting everyone's carbon footprint (another cool sound bite) by half while silently ignoring the doubling of the population which just maintains the momentum of the current rate of degradation.

Honestly, whenever I hear someone mention climate change I instantly think that here is another person who has not given any real thought to the situation and is simply parroting cute phrases heard elsewhere in order to values validate themselves in front of their audience. And I don't think I am alone in that sentiment.

The Solution

To Pollution

Is Population

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parma said:

In fact there is a countervailing and equally plausible set of facts & theories that predict global colding & sea level sink will precede global warming and SLR. Whichever way you go it's root cause is too much pollution caused by way too many people.

I just wish all the hipsters would stop talking about "climate change" and focus instead on population reduction so some real progress might be made, but instead the focus is on cutting everyone's carbon footprint (another cool sound bite) by half while silently ignoring the doubling of the population which just maintains the momentum of the current rate of degradation.

Honestly, whenever I hear someone mention climate change I instantly think that here is another person who has not given any real thought to the situation and is simply parroting cute phrases heard elsewhere in order to values validate themselves in front of their audience. And I don't think I am alone in that sentiment.

The Solution

To Pollution

Is Population

This was actually a hotter topic 40+ years ago.  Indira Gandhi tried it for a time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parma said:

In fact there is a countervailing and equally plausible set of facts & theories that predict global colding & sea level sink will precede global warming and SLR.

Sea level rise is an observed fact. There is good tide gauge data and satellite data. With respect to a reference geoid sea level is rising. The crynosphere is shrinking. Too, climate warming is an observation.  If there is going to be global cooling and sea level sink the current trends will need to be reversed. I'm unaware of any very plausible theory that predicts that in the next 100 years.  A prediction of near term global cooling and sea level sink is heterodox. There is a summary of the orthodox understanding here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parma said:

In fact there is a countervailing and equally plausible set of facts & theories that predict global colding & sea level sink will precede global warming and SLR. Whichever way you go it's root cause is too much pollution caused by way too many people.

I just wish all the hipsters would stop talking about "climate change" and focus instead on population reduction so some real progress might be made, but instead the focus is on cutting everyone's carbon footprint (another cool sound bite) by half while silently ignoring the doubling of the population which just maintains the momentum of the current rate of degradation.

Honestly, whenever I hear someone mention climate change I instantly think that here is another person who has not given any real thought to the situation and is simply parroting cute phrases heard elsewhere in order to values validate themselves in front of their audience. And I don't think I am alone in that sentiment.

The Solution

To Pollution

Is Population

I've been saying that for decades - ALL of our problems are the result of too fucking many people.

The population of the world has doubled in my lifetime and I may see it tripled.

40 years ago overpopulation was the big worry but now it's hardly mentioned and selfish ignorant fucks still have 3 & 4 & 5 children.

The human race is like a cancer on the Earth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've been saying that for decades - ALL of our problems are the result of too many people fucking.

There - FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've been saying that for decades - ALL of our problems are the result of too fucking many people.

The population of the world has doubled in my lifetime and I may see it tripled.

40 years ago overpopulation was the big worry but now it's hardly mentioned and selfish ignorant fucks still have 3 & 4 & 5 children.

The human race is like a cancer on the Earth.

You're giving human race way too much credit. We're more like hemorroids being rubbed between her butt cheeks; causing pain for a few days, and bound to disappear soon enough, just as fast as we appeared.

 

We're not killing earth. She'll kill us all at some point. We're merely accelerating the process.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 8:07 AM, SloopJonB said:

They probably fly their private jets to attend conferences on climate change.

Then again, think of all the carbon they pull out of the environment and embed in their hulls, rigs & sails. :ph34r:

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this