jkalucki

J109 outhaul cleat upgrade

My under-boom aluminum outhaul clam cleat, probably the original, has been slipping for a while now. Any advice from someone who has successfully upgraded to a solution with a little more positive control? Perhaps a small cam cleat with a fairlead to keep the line captive? Or is it best to stick with the original clam cleat setup? Given all the in-boom purchase, I can't imagine that the SWL needs to be more than 200 or so pounds...

On 6/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, jkalucki said:

My under-boom aluminum outhaul clam cleat, probably the original, has been slipping for a while now. Any advice from someone who has successfully upgraded to a solution with a little more positive control? Perhaps a small cam cleat with a fairlead to keep the line captive? Or is it best to stick with the original clam cleat setup? Given all the in-boom purchase, I can't imagine that the SWL needs to be more than 200 or so pounds...

We switched to a micro carbo cam next to the halyard winches on our J/97 which had the same under boom cleat. Much easier to reach and adjust, especially shorthanded. Never understood the original setup.

Original cleat works fine both on J/109 and on J/111. The trick is to replace the interior outhaul to better purchase + better blocks.

If you have a long line and let it hang down the companionway, you save hardware and it's easy enough to adjust when shorthanded. Hated the setup at first, but definitely see the benefits.

usual setup around these parts is a cleat (cam or clam) with a small swivelling block in-line about 6" back along the boom.  Lets you pull on the outhaul from any angle, then reach forward of the block to release.

Sort of like this..

1104_covers_trailers_murp_042.jpg

Same w my new carbon boom on the J/111:

32862195_10155594926380677_6410392247245

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:01 AM, Blur said:

Same w my new carbon boom on the J/111:

32862195_10155594926380677_6410392247245

where did you get the carbon vang…..

Upon further differential inspection, the existing aluminum SeaDog Clamcleat Junior has apparently worn out. The interior teeth are clearly worn through when compared directly to a new replacement part.

I also have a long tail on the line and can add outhaul and Cunningham from the companionway, similar to the J/111 Blur photo above. Thankfully easing both tends to happen in lighter winds and/or off the wind, when going forward to pop the cleats is less of an issue. Still, it might be nice to have them belayed near the cockpit. Although the reefing lines are clearly lead this way,  I'm hesitant to lead more things from the boom to the base of the mast. I haven't really measured, but, conceptually, as the boom is eased, tension increases on those lines, and they also bind the boom forward into the mast, as the vang does. Probably not an issue, but something to check.

8 minutes ago, jkalucki said:

Thankfully easing both tends to happen in lighter winds and/or off the wind, when going forward to pop the cleats is less of an issue.

take the tail and tie it loosly around the line betwixt cleat and block.. you can then pop the line out of the cleat with it when required from the rail.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 12:30 PM, Stu McCrea said:

where did you get the carbon vang…..

It's actually a rebuilt Nautos vang (standard on the euro J/111 :ph34r:

Replaced the lower tube with one from Easy Composites + did some simplifications. Fun winter project.

Nice vang, my original Nautos sqeeks and groans all the time. I suspect reducing the metal on metal contact helps.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:20 AM, Blur said:

Original cleat works fine both on J/109 and on J/111. The trick is to replace the interior outhaul to better purchase + better blocks.

If you have a long line and let it hang down the companionway, you save hardware and it's easy enough to adjust when shorthanded. Hated the setup at first, but definitely see the benefits.

this. although I ended up rerouting the outhaul down to the mast base and thru an organizer sheave back to the cockpit. I put enough purchase inside the boom on my J35 that my at the time 8 yr old daughter could two block the outhaul.