sailor-cfn

Advise needed - from LI Sound to the Rockaways

Recommended Posts

I'll need to deliver my new-to-me 30 foot 5 ktsb from WLIS, through the East River, and then to the Rockaways, in a few weeks' time.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advise on the internet about how to time the passage through Hell Gate - some sources say to time it so that you pass through at the slack (turning ebb), others at max ebb.  What do you guys say?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slack to ebb at gate.  You dont want full on ebb behind you in a 5 ktSB.  Rudder needs flow to function.  Less flow...less function.    Watch out for flotsam and jetsam.   Fun trip otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wherever you are leaving from in WLIS, ride the flood westward to time your arrival at Hell Gate for when  slack/Ebb begins.
You'll have favorable current all the way to Rockaways 

And for fucks sake its Hell Gate, not Hell's Gate / Hellsgate.  Its a Dutch derivation and nothing to do with  Beezlebub.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

uh, if you're moving ahead at 5kts in a 5 kt current you have 5 kts of boatspeed, 10kts sog.  So there would be flow over the rudder.

Do make sure you can maintain boat speed through there and go at slack or with tide.

--Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tiz said:

uh, if you're moving ahead at 5kts in a 5 kt current you have 5 kts of boatspeed, 10kts sog.  So there would be flow over the rudder.

Do make sure you can maintain boat speed through there and go at slack or with tide.

--Kevin

 

Yes!   And you always have the option to go up current at 0 knots, and sideways at 7.5 knots! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slack/ebb beginning when you approach the Hellgate bridge or so. Max ebb is a bit of a sleigh ride at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Wherever you are leaving from in WLIS, ride the flood westward to time your arrival at Hell Gate for when  slack/Ebb begins.
You'll have favorable current all the way to Rockaways 

And for fucks sake its Hell Gate, not Hell's Gate / Hellsgate.  Its a Dutch derivation and nothing to do with  Beezlebub.

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, unless you're a Wing Nut;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troglodytarum said:

says you.

How bout yuse come down heah to Brooklyn and I'll shows you whose the tough guy.

Brooklyn  is also derived from the Dutch ‘Breuckelen’ 

You stupid cunt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just put up a spinnaker and and give the city a thrill.  

Oh wait, you're going the wrong way for that... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jesposito said:

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, unless you're a fuckeng stupide Wing Nut;)

fixte                :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the help.

The consensus here is that you want to be at Hell Gate when it turns slack->ebb.

Would that mean you want to be at the Throgs Neck bridge 1.5 hours before then (distance is 7 nm, assuming a 5 ktsb)?

A few resources on the web tell you to be at Throgs Neck at the same time when it turns slack-ebb at Hell Gate (https://libertyyachtclub.org/2016/07/25/transiting-hell-gate/).  Are they assuming you are in a faster boat (at 20 kts you'll end up at HG 20 minutes after the turn, which is close enough) and it is just to make the calculation easier? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gullwinkle said:

Woods Hole is a lot worse.

I dunno.  I'd put the Canapitsit Channel off Cuttyhunk up against Woods Hold in a Suckiest Channel contest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sailor-cfn said:

Thanks for all the help.

The consensus here is that you want to be at Hell Gate when it turns slack->ebb.

Would that mean you want to be at the Throgs Neck bridge 1.5 hours before then (distance is 7 nm, assuming a 5 ktsb)?

A few resources on the web tell you to be at Throgs Neck at the same time when it turns slack-ebb at Hell Gate (https://libertyyachtclub.org/2016/07/25/transiting-hell-gate/).  Are they assuming you are in a faster boat (at 20 kts you'll end up at HG 20 minutes after the turn, which is close enough) and it is just to make the calculation easier? 

You don't need to be so precise.  There is a couple of hours window to get through with favorable current if you arrive at beginning of
ebb you have loads of time.  This is all consistent with what your article is saying.  Chill out. Worry more about whether or not your shitbox engine
is in good shape. Yes,  be at TNB about an hour ( or 3 hours!) or so before and you will survive the trip. Now leave us alone. 

 

      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

I dunno.  I'd put the Canapitsit Channel off Cuttyhunk up against Woods Hold in a Suckiest Channel contest. 

Pisquataqua River can be sporty,  Memorial and "Sarah Mildred Long" bridges are 15 min staggered opening, unless an ambulance is inbound in which case they wait. Not the place to have engine issues, > 4kt current and > 50'depth leads to 40' chain and 400' anchor rode...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go the wrong time and a fat lady carrying a toy poodle in one hand a a big mac in the other will walk faster than you're motoring  ;-)....from experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte                :)

Thank you, I was trying to be nice:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jesposito said:

Thank you, I was trying to be nice:D

I coude hearer what you wearer sayeng...........            :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done it hundreds of times, not bad at all, close to slack at anytime from TN to Hell Gate and you will be fine.  Watch for debris and commercial traffic and you will be fine.  We have actually sailed it multiple times going the other direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same hearer, favoritte wase spinnker run frome Batterey Park Citey arond the tipp of Manhattan and up East Rivere.  W e doused aftere getteng nocked downe northe of Laguadia.  Fun stuffe!                        :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Pisquataqua River can be sporty,  Memorial and "Sarah Mildred Long" bridges are 15 min staggered opening, unless an ambulance is inbound in which case they wait. Not the place to have engine issues, > 4kt current and > 50'depth leads to 40' chain and 400' anchor rode...

 

Pisser taking a Cableship up it to Simplex cable factory in Newington NH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, gullwinkle said:

Woods Hole is a lot worse.

Yea, It's full of Mass. Drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh...and buy an Eldridge.  Current charts are your friend.   Tide charts mean diddly without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frumious Bandersnatch said:

Pisser taking a Cableship up it to Simplex cable factory in Newington NH.

Or going down river and having three Moran Tugs coming up, around the corner in echelon formation.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now