Ter

Swollen Daggerboard

Hey there. I have a daggerboard that won't go down. It's a symmetrical board. I tried her in both boxes and she only goes in about 3 feet. The other one slides in nice on both sides so I know it's not the box. The owner before me hit something and there is cracks in her gel coat so I'm assuming she got some water and has swollen to the point of being stuck. Anyone have any luck with this type of situation? Thanks in advance.

If the swelling doesn't go down after 4 hours, I think you are suppose to contact your doctor.

Might be helpful if we knew what boat you're talking about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bottman said:

Hi Had the same problem with a Haines Tritramp, 80s model. I cut the sides of the centreboard out and glued a piece of Merbau , very hard Asian hardwood, into the hole,glassed  and faired the resulting fix. Ian Farrier was impressed with my very amateur workmanship but liked the minimal cost approach. The Merbau was a left over from a barbecue deck repair.The centreboards swell and jam with time because the foam grows . Cheers Bottman

Thanks Bottman!

I believe I have a similar issue with one board on my 30'er, except with mine it's the bottom. I'd originally convinced myself it was just a build up of antifouling on the tip that wasn't letting me retract the board as far,  but now it seems to be migrating slowly up. I guess I'll find out in a few months at haulout.

7 hours ago, Bottman said:

Hi Had the same problem with a Haines Tritramp, 80s model. I cut the sides of the centreboard out and glued a piece of Merbau , very hard Asian hardwood, into the hole,glassed  and faired the resulting fix. Ian Farrier was impressed with my very amateur workmanship but liked the minimal cost approach. The Merbau was a left over from a barbecue deck repair.The centreboards swell and jam with time because the foam grows . Cheers Bottman

Bottman,

Do you Aussies have the same problems with your decks swelling as the Kiwi's do?

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

What's the core? Wood or foam?

Mine's timber (maybe pine from memory) wrapped in glass.

You can vacuum bag the board for 24  or more hours and see if that helps.  Vacuum does an amazing job of flashing the moisture out of things.  If my memory serves me water will boil at room temp at 29" mercury of vacuum.  

Well if it is foam the vacuum bagging trixk will not help.  I would drill a small test hole and find out.  If it is foam you want to find out if it is polyurethane pour foam (not good but used by many manufactures) or proper crosslinked pvc foam.  The pour foam has a tendancy to continue to expand, absorb water weight, and mechanically break down over time...but it is a lot cheaper to build the board with.