Sign in to follow this  
dacapo

fractured ribs anarchy

Recommended Posts

ho leee mother effin cocksuckin sonofabeeeeatch...............

cracked two ribs falling off a dock (like a complete jerk ass....but I did save my beer)  ....hurts like a mofo...my Dr. chuckled when I asked if there's anything he can do....he said rest, motrin and no WWE wrestling or belly flops.   So I ask those of you who tenderized your own spear ribs, anything I can do to make life easier?  Breathing is ok, as is normal shit ...but , turning over in bed, and coughing suck....the WORST however, is sneezing...I've braced myself 3 times today in preparation of a sharp pain each time I sneezed.............no winch grinding, so I'll stick to driving my boat fro a while....I was told it'll get better week by week and heal in 4-6 weeks with some residual pain for while longer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wache outte fore couffeng to, deffiniteley no softeballe either.  Feelle bettere.                      :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SMOKE A BIG FATTIE

 

Said no one who ever took a puff w a fractured (Broken = Samething) rib(s)

I fractured a rib just over a month ago

You will feel better before you are

Hust fuck off for a minimum 4-5 weeks

Don't watch anything funny

 

CBDz and medical cookies Really help pass the time w/o you knowing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't laugh!

 Seriously! That's the worst!....

 

 

 

 

 By the way did I ever tell the story about my father in law, the judge and his new wife?..... No?... Well....

 

 

 

Let me just tell you. I've busted severl ribs. Had my sternum broken in a basket ball game in HS..... They all hurt.

Last year on June 9-10 (it was right around midnight) I broke my femur in 2 places. If you think broken ribs hurt.... Try that on for size!

 (Yes I know.... Just try not to laugh, or cough, or sneeze... And for god's sake don't do one of those stifled sneezes where you get a little wet fart thing going on!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Don't have an orgasm is all I can add...

And how do you propose to prevent that, at any given moment?

 

 

 

 

 

(I suppose the old pebble in the shoe thing would work..... It makes one limp, you know.....)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I’ve had that injury (several times now), there were a couple things that helped.....but only a little. Sitting with a pillow across my chest and clutching it tight in advance of cough/sneeze/hiccup helped. It still hurts but less. The point - of course - is to “splint” the chest wall to minimize sudden involuntary movement. For one of the injuries I was offered a corset like thingy that laced up to limit and splint movement. It was awful and I lasted less than a day with it. I’d rather hurt. Lastly you might try wrapping around the chest tightly over the affected ribs with a big wide ace bandage......that helped a little but eventually I judged it to be a PIA compared to the amount of relief. So I just grimaced and tried to suppress the offending movements. The good news is it only REALLY hurt for a few weeks. Then it hurt “a little” for about a month. Then twinges for about 3 months. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suck it up, Buttercup.  Ya got 4-6 weeks of clenching your teeth every time you move to look forward to.  The worst for me was crawling out of my bunk at the start of my watch during the last several days of a race.  Going up the mast about 4 weeks after the hit wasn't much fun either -- and is not something that I recommend you try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't laughs or sneeze!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend wrapped himself in Saran Wrap after he broke some ribs. He said it helped a lot. I myself wouldn't go for the entire 8 weeks like that, but whatever. I'm glad I wasn't around when he unwrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

A friend wrapped himself in Saran Wrap after he broke some ribs. He said it helped a lot. I myself wouldn't go for the entire 8 weeks like that, but whatever. I'm glad I wasn't around when he unwrapped.

Phenomena in its self is not so bad

But then to need to cough it up

Wrapping you up fell out of practice not all that long ago

Fucking Off is the key

Take it easy for at least a few weeks after you feel OK

Like making an ice cube... will feel good to go but thinly frozen (healed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s already been said. It will hurt. Sudden movement will hurt. Rest and, as PB mentioned, try to add some slight compression when you feel a cough or sneeze coming on. It will suck for a couple of weeks and slowly improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fell skiiing and broke ribs, pain killers and time. And just because you feel better after a week dont push a lawnmower or lift a 24 of beer.  It just takes time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Don't laugh!

 Seriously! That's the worst!....

 

 

 

 

 By the way did I ever tell the story about my father in law, the judge and his new wife?..... No?... Well....

 

 

 

Let me just tell you. I've busted severl ribs. Had my sternum broken in a basket ball game in HS..... They all hurt.

Last year on June 9-10 (it was right around midnight) I broke my femur in 2 places. If you think broken ribs hurt.... Try that on for size!

 (Yes I know.... Just try not to laugh, or cough, or sneeze... And for god's sake don't do one of those stifled sneezes where you get a little wet fart thing going on!)

This the most important one and lots of norco  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not drive on any bumpy roads! 

I mistakenly did for about a half-mile a month after my lung surgery, and it nearly brought me to tears. I was holding on to the wheel with one hand, and holding my ribs with the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine still hurts from 4 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, footlong said:

Mine still hurts from 4 years ago.

thanks for that tidbit of news ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..... And oh! I forgot!..... Don't laugh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the laughing, raising my hands over my head for anything was a special feeling for a while as well. Endeavor to persevere! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, footlong said:

Mine still hurts from 4 years ago.

I can still feel the dent in 2 of mine after trying to skewer myself with a set of mountain bike handle bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many, many years ago when we had our 3 knot sb, my older son and I were getting it ready for a Wed night beer can event.  I was doing whatever I was doing and he opened the lazzarette to get something out.  Me, not looking stepped onto the lazzarette but instead of the lid there was open air.  Fell into that damn thing.  Bounced like a pinball going down.

Next day I go to see my doc.  He confirms that I’ve cracked a couple of ribs.  I asked him what he was going to do about it.  His response was that he got the diagnosis right, what more did I want.  Then he gave me a band aid to remind me of the injury. He was a good MD with a wicked sense of humor.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so,  how I brokem...

went to an away regatta and they put my 30 ft. boat on a 20 ft. finger slip.  After a few cocktails I was standing on the end of the slip holding onto my boat's lifelines talking to a few friends.  I forgot the slip was 20 ft and took a step backwards....grabbed the boat's lifeline and swung into the toe rail (S2 9.1 rails are metal)  so I wouldn;t fall into the  water and spill my drink..pretty good job on not spilling the drink.  Friends grabbed said cocktail out of my left hand and placed it on his boat, other friend pulled me up out of the water.  I continued on as if nothing had happened.....when teh alcohol wore off Saturday morning, i knew i was fucked ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing for a headache, is to just lie still while receiving a nice hummer. 

                                    ^ appendicitis

                                    ^ twisted ankle

                                    ^ bad cut

                                     ^ compound fracture

                                      ^ brain tumor

                                      ^ cracked ribs

Not a Dr, but am pretty confident that this will help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there done that...but as a teen cross body block that didn't go as planned......time...time...time...you'll figure out your most comfortable position and your ribs will let you know what not to do...with No warning....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

The best thing for a headache, is to just lie still while receiving a nice hummer. 

                                    ^ appendicitis

                                    ^ twisted ankle

                                    ^ bad cut

                                     ^ compound fracture

                                      ^ brain tumor

                                      ^ cracked ribs

Not a Dr, but am pretty confident that this will help.  

it did, for about about 15 min........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

thanks for that tidbit of news ;-)

 

find a good accupuncturist..  you know, one who's trained more than 10 hours.. more like 10,000 hours..    also find a physio massage therapist, because with all the compensating you're going to do, you're going to throw all your muscles out of wack and hurt worse..   wait until you lean over a coming board or grab a sheet the wrong way..  you're going to be the beer bitch for a while..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

thanks for that tidbit of news ;-)

It was from a fall where I needed 16 hours of back surgery.  That rib was also broken and in the way so they took it out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ACE wrap snugly.

My Trauma partners will operate and plate if really an issue

Deep breaths and cough hurt but keep air exchange area of lung open

if these close higher risk of pneumonia

Sucks in the infirmed and elderly (not implying)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lifting wraps ( like those worn by the warehouse workers ) can provide some relief, but, it's limited to the relief of immobility.  Moving is gonna hurt, and it sucks.   Mine were sensitive to the touch for about 2 months after, hope you heal quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burndoc said:

Sucks in the infirmed and elderly (not implying)

it sucks for anyone....or so I've found out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you know no laughing so magic mushrooms are out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not so bad.  Getting out of bed and in and out of a car was tough the first week.  It’s really a matter of not rotating your torso, becomes a matter of habit pretty quickly.  I was riding within a week after hitting the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving van backed into me and threw me into a chain link fence.  Cracked a few ribs, and some cartilage.  The ribs hurt more, but heal faster.  By a lot.

Button up shirts because t-shirts suck to put on.  Anything that involved putting my hands over my head hurt.

Slip on shoes are good because bending over to tie up shoes sucks.

Some people are recommending wrapping, I was told not to.  I don’t remember why, as this happened 30ish years ago.  If you have a good doctor, ask for their opinion.

Motrin is good because it’s a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.  If you can put an ice pack wrapped in a towel on your ribs lying down or in a chair or however it’s comfortable, that’s a good thing. If the ice makes you tense up, don’t. 

I never thought of going to physio, but if I had to do it over again, I would.  I do remember my traps aching from hunching over to keep my ribs from moving. 

The first week or 2 is going to be the worst.  It will gradually taper off.

If we can do it, you can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst injury...ever.

I still remember pulling on my hair so I could lift out of a prone position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't go to work (unless you do FoneSex)

1 week in I didn't feel so bad and was BEGGED to come in to drive a Limo Bus

Well it turned out to be a Friggon FORD F-700 Truck/Bus w simi power steering

the job was 7 hrs of tight turns w pot holes and speed bumps

I was Hurting after work so hit Happy Hour

when I got home and went to bed it Hit me like a Freight Train

No Doubt I didn't fracture it That Bad ... But Worked it apart More

In FUCKING PAIN to the point of grabbing Tylenol w Codeine that I didn't open after Dental Surgery

them remembered Happy Hour and Googled possible reactions ....... FUCK THAT I was Bad Enough already

So didn't take any and had to sleep sitting up, went for XRays Etc next day

Was told rib still slightly connected so it didnt punch hole in Lung :o:o

 told work I'll let them know after 6 weeks how I'm doing

And as Not driving for 6 weeks - got sum MED Cookies :unsure::wacko::blink::rolleyes:

HIGHLY Recommended !!!!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

Some people are recommending wrapping, I was told not to.  I don’t remember why, as this happened 30ish years ago.  If you have a good doctor, ask for their opinion.

That advice ebbs and flows over time. The issue is if you wrap so tightly you severely limit chest excursion when you breath then you are at some risk of "stuff" settling in the lower airways and resulting in a pulmonary infection. That's why when you're stuck in the hospital for any time they give you that breathing thingee with the little ball you have to move and tell you use it multiple times a day. The reality is if you are relatively healthy with no preexisting respiratory problems the risk is really pretty low. They key is to wrap it tight enough to get a little support but not so tight as to restrict your breathing. That's the reason an ACE wrap is recommended because it gives a little. If you wrap it so tight you cannot take a reasonably deep breath then its too tight. I believe current thought is to remove the wrap several times a day and encourage as deep breathing as you can tolerate. I found it did help a little with mine but not enough to put up with the hassle of wrapping and unwrapping and wrapping so I stopped after just a couple days. It wasn't worth it from my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

The best thing for a headache, is to just lie still while receiving a nice hummer. 

                                    ^ appendicitis

                                    ^ twisted ankle

                                    ^ bad cut

                                     ^ compound fracture

                                      ^ brain tumor

                                      ^ cracked ribs

Not a Dr, but am pretty confident that this will help.  

That is so kind of you to offer....

 

And, ditto to all of the comments about laughing and sneezing (especially if you are like Mrleft8).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

That advice ebbs and flows over time. The issue is if you wrap so tightly you severely limit chest excursion when you breath then you are at some risk of "stuff" settling in the lower airways and resulting in a pulmonary infection. That's why when you're stuck in the hospital for any time they give you that breathing thingee with the little ball you have to move and tell you use it multiple times a day. The reality is if you are relatively healthy with no preexisting respiratory problems the risk is really pretty low. They key is to wrap it tight enough to get a little support but not so tight as to restrict your breathing. That's the reason an ACE wrap is recommended because it gives a little. If you wrap it so tight you cannot take a reasonably deep breath then its too tight. I believe current thought is to remove the wrap several times a day and encourage as deep breathing as you can tolerate. I found it did help a little with mine but not enough to put up with the hassle of wrapping and unwrapping and wrapping so I stopped after just a couple days. It wasn't worth it from my view.

That makes sense. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got my sternum broken (By an opposition player, who thought he'd killed me) I swear I couldn't breathe for 5 minutes. They tell me it was more like a minute and a half, but..... Then for about a month if anyone even came near me, I flinched, fearing that they'd either slap me on the back, or worse, offer me a joint.

 That was a serious bummer. Being in pain, and not being able to toke up..... But I found that out real quick, and I learned that lesson first time around.

 Now, 40 some odd years later, my chest is still lopsided,and if I catch a branch, or something just wrong, it brings it all back.....

 I'm glad I was 16 when that happened, and I could heal fast.... It's been almost a year with my broken thigh thing, and I'm still terrified of slipping and falling, even though it feels fine most of the time.

 

 

 

 

 Getting older kinda sucks.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

When I got my sternum broken (By an opposition player, who thought he'd killed me) I swear I couldn't breathe for 5 minutes. They tell me it was more like a minute and a half, but..... Then for about a month if anyone even came near me, I flinched, fearing that they'd either slap me on the back, or worse, offer me a joint.

 That was a serious bummer. Being in pain, and not being able to toke up..... But I found that out real quick, and I learned that lesson first time around.

 Now, 40 some odd years later, my chest is still lopsided,and if I catch a branch, or something just wrong, it brings it all back.....

 I'm glad I was 16 when that happened, and I could heal fast.... It's been almost a year with my broken thigh thing, and I'm still terrified of slipping and falling, even though it feels fine most of the time.

 

 

 

 

 Getting older kinda sucks.....

It's a weird feeling asking yourself "why am I still limping?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

small bong hits.. not large ones

I had gummie bears last night. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

 Getting older kinda sucks.....

But not as bad as the alternative.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, slap said:

But not as bad as the alternative.

its better to sleep on the grass and not under the grass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dacapo said:

I had gummie bears last night. B)

CBD or THC  (or Both ??)

for mending fractured ribs THC Cookies can't be beat

you will get knocked out and Not remember anything you otherwise would think you need to do

The Rest is Best .......... Added Bonus ..... you will feel MUCH Smarter a couple weeks after the last cookie

(Not as Creative ... But Smarter)

 

Image result for cookie monster

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DA-WOODY said:

CBD or THC  (or Both ??)

for mending fractured ribs THC Cookies can't be beat

you will get knocked out and Not remember anything you otherwise would think you need to do

The Rest is Best .......... Added Bonus ..... you will feel MUCH Smarter a couple weeks after the last cookie

(Not as Creative ... But Smarter)

 

Image result for cookie monster

 

20% THC  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an chest x-ray done a few years back, part of a comprehensive physical... the doctor asked my if I had ever broken my ribs... notice the s as in plural.  Told him I don't remember if I did... he then asked did you ever fall and find hard to breath for a while without your ribs hurting.

Oh yea well that was that one, or two, or maybe three times on the dirt bike where I crashed, and then there was that time playing HS football where I was sandwiched by these two opposing players that doubled team to keep me from scoring, and then that time that I had pitch polled my boat and "peter panned: right back into the mast...   why the question doc????   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dacapo said:

20% THC  

CBD is GOOD for the healing

THC is GOOD to keep you from moving

Cookies give you something to eat  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

CBD is GOOD for the healing

THC is GOOD to keep you from moving

Cookies give you something to eat  

too many carbs in cookies ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop giggling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m watching some hockey right now, so I’d say don’t play hockey and you’ll feel better in a few weeks. If you’re a professional though you’d still play. 

Back in the day my younger brother said his back hurt after a hockey game. Dad says to take the week off probably just a pulled muscle. A few weeks of the same thing happening my brother says it hurts when he breaths. Dad hangs his head and says well now we have to go to the hospital. A few cracked ribs. A few healed ribs, a few re-cracked ribs. Almost got serious when the nurse said she had to alert the authorities about unreported injuries. Good thing the nurse’s son was on the hockey team. 

My father’s credibility as a doctor took a big hit at home though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, 7 days later it still hurts but I'm adjusting. the shitty part is I'm not sleeping well and It's making me a grade A asshole during the day.....I'm one not to be fucked with at this particular junction in time........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dacapo said:

well, 7 days later it still hurts but I'm adjusting. the shitty part is I'm not sleeping well and It's making me a grade A asshole during the day.....I'm one not to be fucked with at this particular junction in time........

Wow! Must be bad if it's knocked you down from the AA+ rating!   :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, jerseyguy said:

Many, many years ago when we had our 3 knot sb, my older son and I were getting it ready for a Wed night beer can event.  I was doing whatever I was doing and he opened the lazzarette to get something out.  Me, not looking stepped onto the lazzarette but instead of the lid there was open air.  Fell into that damn thing.  Bounced like a pinball going down.

Next day I go to see my doc.  He confirms that I’ve cracked a couple of ribs.  I asked him what he was going to do about it.  His response was that he got the diagnosis right, what more did I want.  Then he gave me a band aid to remind me of the injury. He was a good MD with a wicked sense of humor.  

He didn't practice out here for a while did he? Think I had the same doc when my horse fell on me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Timo42 said:

He didn't practice out here for a while did he? Think I had the same doc when my horse fell on me.

Nope.  He was born and raised in Iowa.  Practiced in WI. Got tired of whiny sick people and went back to 

Iowa to practice academic medicine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Nope.  He was born and raised in Iowa.  Practiced in WI. Got tired of whiny sick people and went back to 

Iowa to practice academic medicine.

Must have gone to the same school of bedside medicine though, when I came in with a sprained back, and I mentioned that I was breaking a 5yo warmblood to saddle, he gave me a prescription for 50 vicodin...said I was going to need it. He had broken horses for a living while in school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timo42 said:

Must have gone to the same school of bedside medicine though, when I came in with a sprained back, and I mentioned that I was breaking a 5yo warmblood to saddle, he gave me a prescription for 50 vicodin...said I was going to need it. He had broken horses for a living while in school.

He once told me that he considered it to be a good day if he got the diagnosis right 2 times out of 3. My favorite primary care guy ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

He once told me that he considered it to be a good day if he got the diagnosis right 2 times out of 3. My favorite primary care guy ever.

That has to be one of the most honest things I’ve ever heard a doctor say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 days and they still hurt but I think less??: It may be that I'm careful sneezing, coughing and rolling over in bed...it's made getting a good nights sleep a chore (except for last night with a new bottle of scotch)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this