advantages:

no shrink wrap needed

cheap

disadvantages:

takes the hard half a day,3 men and equipment to unload

some assembly required

lost a few bits and pieces

24 seascape in a truck.jpg

I thought it was and MX-20 but I think this boat is a little beamier. 

This is ex-Seascape 24, now First24 shipping overseas. Cradle is designed with side pads which you jam against container walls, so it can't touch the sides even when showing it in or pushing it out (or at least it is bit easier;) ... Shipyard crew takes around 2-2.5h from GO until the container doors are closed, so I guess some instruction to unloading crew might come handy.

Yes, stanchions and pushpit needs to be assembled latter. They are pre-installed but then taken off int he yard in order to fit in.

We ship 24s and 27s this way since the start...

IMG-20131125-00703.jpg

• Like 1

Crusader (elliott 35 canter) used to ship in a 40 foot container.

Can't find photos but it's described here: https://livesaildie.com/crusader-is-for-sale/

what's that guy drinking, siracha?

• Like 1

Lots of boats shipped this way!
You can fit some fairly large ones this way if planned at the design stage, like this F33:

Container%201.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

My neck hurts because you couldn't figure out how to rotate your photo! mad.gif

Turn your computer/phone 90 degrees :-)

I just tried that but that did not help the orientation of the image on my monitor. What am I missing? (Bourbon...)

RC44's have been shipping like this for years, not sure if a container or flat-rack but the stern comes off and the mast is 2-piece.

Had some cradles made with the four corners of a container on the bottom. Certified and then they could be locked into the container below and shipped below decks. Then flat packed and sent back for the next one. 

They been shipping boats this way since the early ‘70s, when I unloaded a container arrived in NY from UK full of Rondar Fireballs, 

Didn't our own Bob Perry design a yacht specifically to be shipped in a 45' container a few decades ago?

• Like 1

High Cube or standard ?
Well done, I only miss a tow hitch and some wheels.

We ship Vipers to regattas the same way.  Our trailers have a tilt attachment that bolts on very quickly. (The boats arrive that way so we keep them).  Lift boat on hoist , attach tilt cradle, lower boat back on trailer. Lift second boat on hoist with sling around bowsprit and 3 strong guys at the stern. Flip second boat upside down and lower onto pads on bottom boat on trailer. Lash at attachment points. Wheel trailer with 2 boats into container. Rinse and repeat with another pair of boats. 2.5 hours later shut container door.....head to bar and see your boat 1 month later in Perth. :)

The rigging/shop area at the 1996 Olympics in Savannah, GA (Atlanta games) was a parking lot of 20 foot containers, parked trucks, trailers, crates etc. I noticed a smaller plywood box on the ground with Lufthansa cargo labels and a stencil: Lithuania Womens Sailing. They had shipped a 470 by air!

Granted, it's light, but still that is an expensive item to ship by plane.

A bit smaller, but I used to transport a Lark dinghy in the back of an old ambulance,  then we'd sleep in the ambulance during the event. 

Much later I built a 18ft keelboat,  which came back from Saudi, on its trailer,  with all my other stuff in a 40ft container.

1 hour ago, Joe in Atl said:

The rigging/shop area at the 1996 Olympics in Savannah, GA (Atlanta games) was a parking lot of 20 foot containers, parked trucks, trailers, crates etc. I noticed a smaller plywood box on the ground with Lufthansa cargo labels and a stencil: Lithuania Womens Sailing. They had shipped a 470 by air!

Granted, it's light, but still that is an expensive item to ship by plane.

Oh please!

yacht_in_airplane.jpg.d8d1ffc3635833fcefc0fb548d1cc23c.jpg

Seascape 24. the four screws at the stern are the outboard motor mount.

Event the Seascape 27 fits into a container. Pretty cool for such a great nutshell.