Hitchhiker

Streaming Exp to an ipad on a closed LAN

So, the nav station on the boat I currently sail on is on the port side.  Every time I sit there, on starboard tack, Details yells at me.  Even when he's not on the boat!

I'm looking for a wireless solution using the onboard wifi that would work in a similar manner to Splashtop, but would run without having to be connected to the Splashtop service.  i.e. offshore.

Anybody know of such an app?

Exp remote.jpg

Probably easier to suggest the MFO refit to a centerline or tacking nav station....

15 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Probably easier to suggest the MFO refit to a centerline or tacking nav station....

Haha.

remote desktop? available for ipad too. Or does exp keep you from being able to do that? I use it on my home network all the time.

VNC will work -- I'm using it to feed Exp to a roaming android tablet from a run-of-the-mill windows 10 "home edition" laptop.

You don't need a Splashtop account or the internet to use the Splashtop server/client.

Read this.

Thanks Moonduster. 

After several telcons with Splashtop and reading through their website I came to the same conclusion.  Though they are reluctant to acknowledge it, one can run Splashtop Personal offline, albeit they do have this odd note:   "Offline mode is not supported by current version of Splashtop Personal Windows version."

Both Splashtop and RealVNC Enterprise run quite well, although the image displayed on the ipad for RealVNC is full screen, the Splashtop image is not, and while the user can make the image larger, it makes it harder to control functions in Exp. 

Links: https://www.splashtop.com/personal

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/trial/

Here are a coupe of short vids:

Ultimately though, I now have one solution to not navving on the low side!

Just double-checked my boat PC and I'm actually running "TightVNC".  This is an open source alternative to RealVNC.  It works well for what I want.