Sign in to follow this  
Greyhound37

Sydney 38 in Annapolis

Recommended Posts

There are about 15 Farr 40's on the market, most under $100k and some as low as $65k.  So what makes a Sydney 38 a value at $125k???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That paint job and graphic style & colour is identical to a hot local boat (ILC 40?) named Occams Razor.

Someone seems to have copied someone else. Razor is older so I'd say it was the owner of that Sydney.

image.png.8fe044f08e6a7dc82ef5b0475ff1f2c4.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That paint job and graphic style & colour is identical to a hot local boat (ILC 40?) named Occams Razor.

Someone seems to have copied someone else. Razor is older so I'd say it was the owner of that Sydney.

image.png.8fe044f08e6a7dc82ef5b0475ff1f2c4.png

 

I remember a Martin-built N/M 36 named Occam's razor in Key West in '96.  Same guy?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd that there aren't any photos closer up on the listing.  Also a little interesting that the entire sail inventory is from 2016, is there a story there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That paint job and graphic style & colour is identical to a hot local boat (ILC 40?) named Occams Razor.

image.png.8fe044f08e6a7dc82ef5b0475ff1f2c4.png

How is that painted? I don't remember an AwlGrip color coming in Minty Windex :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RumLine said:

Odd that there aren't any photos closer up on the listing.  Also a little interesting that the entire sail inventory is from 2016, is there a story there?

Pretty sure this is the story. 

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/smh-au/obituary.aspx?n=stuart-jones&pid=191478874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Painkiller 4 recently sold for a lot less than that.  Fresh water boat from Chicago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billomalley said:

There are about 15 Farr 40's on the market, most under $100k and some as low as $65k.  So what makes a Sydney 38 a value at $125k???

Let me help you with that.

1) you can get laid in the Sydney

2) you can shower in the Sydney

3) you can vacation with the family between races

4) you can go south in the winter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Let me help you with that.

1) you can get laid in the Sydney

2) you can shower in the Sydney

3) you can vacation with the family between races

4) you can go south in the winter 

Still sounds pricey for a 19 year old 38 footer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Let me help you with that.

1) you can get laid in the Sydney

2) you can shower in the Sydney

3) you can vacation with the family between races

4) you can go south in the winter 

Sydney 38's sell...SELL for around $80k - $85k over the past 5 years and likely less than that now.  Place whatever sentimental value you like, this is a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Still sounds pricey for a 19 year old 38 footer. 

Agreed. 

If I had the choice, I would take a Sydney 38 over a Farr 40 any day of the week for the reasons Greyhound lists (among a few others of my own).  But $125k sounds a bit steep.  There is one in Cali asking $105.

Now, what appears to be very good value is this Express 37 (on the East Coast) for under $20k: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/express-express-37-3537313/

Probably not in the greatest of condition and sail inventory may be sparse (the listing says 2 sails, but there looks to be at least 3 or more sails in the forepeak photo) - but still.  I suspect lots of Left Coast sailors would snap her up except for the shipping costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it was originally Serenissma from Chicago that moved east a few years ago.  It sat for a couple of years on the hard before moving to MD.  Repainted in Annapolis. Hull was originally white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Let me help you with that.

1) you can get laid in the Sydney

2) you can shower in the Sydney

3) you can vacation with the family between races

4) you can go south in the winter 

Better built boat overall. Especially for offshore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Better built boat overall. Especially for offshore.

Agreed. No Carroll Marine delam issues. Underpowered in light air as it's heavier than the 40 but that's because it's built like a tank and has an interior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

I believe it was originally Serenissma from Chicago that moved east a few years ago.  It sat for a couple of years on the hard before moving to MD.  Repainted in Annapolis. Hull was originally white.

Really!? I wondered about that. If that is the same boat then I originally looked at it when it was 180k. Someone named Robin.

Could be worth 100k, depends on how it's been maintained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I remember a Martin-built N/M 36 named Occam's razor in Key West in '96.  Same guy?  

Could be - those were apparently about the hottest boats around here at the time.

The one I know is an ILC 40 so he probably had the bucks to take a N/M 36 to Floriduh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That paint job and graphic style & colour is identical to a hot local boat (ILC 40?) named Occams Razor.

Someone seems to have copied someone else. Razor is older so I'd say it was the owner of that Sydney.

image.png.8fe044f08e6a7dc82ef5b0475ff1f2c4.png

Hey, that's my pic! Glad to see people are using them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Parma said:

Really!? I wondered about that. If that is the same boat then I originally looked at it when it was 180k. Someone named Robin.

Could be worth 100k, depends on how it's been maintained.

Sounds about right.  Posted on Lat 38:

17316__2019-06-04_1837_38Sydney7973.jpg 38-FT SYDNEY 38, 2002  
Monterey $105,000 

Big 38-ft yacht, very competitive racer, Bluewater or buoy. Could be fast, fun cruiser. Always kept in excellent racing condition. Full sail inventory, all systems in good condition. One owner.
Email (831) 809-7973  
06/03/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the advertised price. It's irrelevant. The price is what the seller ends up accepting and anyone wanting to buy this boat wouldn't pay more than $90k IMO. The colour and lack of detailed photos suggest the seller hasn't a clue so he's put a price he wants as opposed to what the market value is like the boat above for $105k. As to the Farr 40OD vs Sydney 38 argument they are 2 different animals. The Farr 40 is not built to do serious Ocean Racing the construction is simply not there. It also doesn't have any cruising capability and is more of a flat out race boat. The Sydney 36 appeals to both worlds, some racing of any description and cruising hence the increase in value. (IMO)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Forget the advertised price. It's irrelevant. The price is what the seller ends up accepting and anyone wanting to buy this boat wouldn't pay more than $90k IMO. The colour and lack of detailed photos suggest the seller hasn't a clue so he's put a price he wants as opposed to what the market value is like the boat above for $105k. As to the Farr 40OD vs Sydney 38 argument they are 2 different animals. The Farr 40 is not built to do serious Ocean Racing the construction is simply not there. It also doesn't have any cruising capability and is more of a flat out race boat. The Sydney 36 appeals to both worlds, some racing of any description and cruising hence the increase in value. (IMO)

That's about 180K in Aussie$, "tell him he's dreaming"  https://images.app.goo.gl/iWQok6nFYmV23bXb9

You can have mine for that, and its got a wheel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I looked there where no Sydney 38s listed for sale in Oz.

Lately I have been getting cold calls asking me if I want to sell.

Supply and demand.

Changes over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lydia said:

Last time I looked there where no Sydney 38s listed for sale in Oz.

Lately I have been getting cold calls asking me if I want to sell.

Supply and demand.

Changes over time.

Hasn't been one listed all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lydia said:

Last time I looked there where no Sydney 38s listed for sale in Oz.

Lately I have been getting cold calls asking me if I want to sell.

Supply and demand.

Changes over time.

Send them my way....   I have one for sale!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All. My name is Grady Byus and I am the listing agent with North Point Yacht Sales in Annapolis. I appreciate all of the comments and as always thorough opinions.

As some have relayed, the gentleman who campaigned Kurranulla passed suddenly this past winter and I am working with his widow to sell the boat. She, and the crew, are working hard to gather the pertinent info and clean the boat up from winter storage to allow me to present a more thorough listing with pictures and details. As the listing says, for the time being it is a "preliminary listing" in an effort to make people like yourselves aware this boat is available..

Sentiment aside - the boat was updated well, but like any race boat, will need continued sail/equipment/hardware updates, none of which should keep the next owner from getting on the water immediately with a great boat. We have used market data and expert input to arrive at our asking price, but like any sale of this sort it is just an asking price and we encourage communication and offers.

Thank you for your time and respect moving forward. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly. My contact details are in the listing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, voodoochile said:

Rates 30 phrf, SA/Disp is around 25 vs. 33 for the F40.  Performance - https://www.yachtscoring.com/yacht_results.cfm?Yacht_ID=133110 .  Wouldn't want a Carrol F40, but there are some Waterline and DK built boats.  

To be fair, I don't think the performance potential of the boat is done much justice by the referenced results.  My understanding is that this was a new program and they were still figuring out how to make the boat go fast.  Every time I saw the boat on the docks it looked to be well prepped.  I think with the right crew you could make this boat go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Agreed. 

If I had the choice, I would take a Sydney 38 over a Farr 40 any day of the week for the reasons Greyhound lists (among a few others of my own).  But $125k sounds a bit steep.  There is one in Cali asking $105.

Now, what appears to be very good value is this Express 37 (on the East Coast) for under $20k: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/express-express-37-3537313/

Probably not in the greatest of condition and sail inventory may be sparse (the listing says 2 sails, but there looks to be at least 3 or more sails in the forepeak photo) - but still.  I suspect lots of Left Coast sailors would snap her up except for the shipping costs.

This boat has some issues.  A reasonably fitted Express 37 should go +/- $50,000 still.
 Sydney 41s can be had under $100k. I think Mr. Gray Bus is a bit optimistic  especially with the widow discount applied.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

I believe it was originally Serenissma from Chicago that moved east a few years ago.  It sat for a couple of years on the hard before moving to MD.  Repainted in Annapolis. Hull was originally white.

If so, that boat and the crew were top notch. Years ago but sailing with them was awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, voodoochile said:

Rates 30 phrf, SA/Disp is around 25 vs. 33 for the F40.  Performance - https://www.yachtscoring.com/yacht_results.cfm?Yacht_ID=133110 .  Wouldn't want a Carrol F40, but there are some Waterline and DK built boats.  

 

2 hours ago, vtsail said:

To be fair, I don't think the performance potential of the boat is done much justice by the referenced results.  My understanding is that this was a new program and they were still figuring out how to make the boat go fast.  Every time I saw the boat on the docks it looked to be well prepped.  I think with the right crew you could make this boat go.

At first blush it might well be a ratings issue where how a boat rates & measures against the local fleet is really important and varies from area to area.

I would love a Sydney 38. Oh wait, no I wouldn't. Not at 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with this boat being nice or crackpipe deal, what about the two 125s for sale in the classifieds for over $315k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trimfast said:

So with this boat being nice or crackpipe deal, what about the two 125s for sale in the classifieds for over $315k?

Marijuana is legal in California.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This 38 was indeed Serenissima and it was well maintained by me and my team.  I know for a fact that there were both sail upgrades, good maintenance by Jones and team, electronics etc (in addition to the paint job and name change).   The 38 is a great boat, competitive and very well built.  I regret not owning her today.  

Robin

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin said:

This 38 was indeed Serenissima and it was well maintained by me and my team.  I know for a fact that there were both sail upgrades, good maintenance by Jones and team, electronics etc (in addition to the paint job and name change).   The 38 is a great boat, competitive and very well built.  I regret not owning her today.  

Robin

How would this boat do with a sprit & assymetrics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Parma said:

How would this boat do with a sprit & assymetrics?

It seems light and beamy enough to somewhat get on plane in heavier winds... with some terrible VMG as the winds lighten up would be my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tito said:

It seems light

Come again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, doghouse said:

Come again?

Notice I said "light and beamy enough"

No ULDB of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, no. Needs to drop a good 2500 kilos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sydney 38 loves a bit of breeze, but is sticky in the light.  I raced Copernicus here on SF Bay for a few seasons, and she reveled in the conditions.  Offshores too, Monterey Bay Race and Coastal Cup, where the symmetrical kites were a massive advantage in 30 knots out of the North West.  At least until we blew out two of them.  The boat is built like a brick dunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doghouse said:

Come again?

11,500 Lbs is not light for an offshore 38'?

AYFKM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

11,500 Lbs is not light for an offshore 38'?

AYFKM?

The statement was that it was light enough to be a somewhat planing boat. I was putting at 12.5, but no, regardless, that's heavy as shit. At 38' you are looking more at 8,000 for a 'light' boat, and that's relative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say that's more like ridiculous for an offshore boat.

My 1/2 Tonner is 29' and 6K Lbs and it is a light boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd say that's more like ridiculous for an offshore boat.

My 1/2 Tonner is 29' and 6K Lbs and it is a light boat.

A new Class 40, which is a much bigger ocean crossing brick shithouse weighs about 4500 kilos, so sub 10k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 12:43 PM, Tito said:

How is that painted? I don't remember an AwlGrip color coming in Minty Windex :lol:

Awlgrip Boston Whaler Blue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, Robin said:

This 38 was indeed Serenissima and it was well maintained by me and my team.  I know for a fact that there were both sail upgrades, good maintenance by Jones and team, electronics etc (in addition to the paint job and name change).   The 38 is a great boat, competitive and very well built.  I regret not owning her today.  

Robin

Exactly. She did the N2B in 2018 as well, so is sorted for proper ocean racing to CCA standards at least, which is worth more than most think in terms of $$'s and time. New H5000 system installed. Sail inventory may be a little tired but last year was a light N2B year and the North's are a durable sail. Similar 38 foot boats are priced at the same point without updated electronics, sail inventory, fresh paint, rigging or recent general maintenance. Turnkey at the listing point is an interesting discussion IMO.

Related but not is what about the Farr 42 a few docks over for the same ask? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/custom-irc-orc-farr-42-3479992/

And on the J/125 vs. Farr 400, would you pay $100k more for the older but proven design? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/farr-400-3491794/

Hard calls; personally I'm a below 40' guy in terms of running costs but some of these race boats are tempting at their price points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samc99us said:

Exactly. She did the N2B in 2018 as well, so is sorted for proper ocean racing to CCA standards at least, which is worth more than most think in terms of $$'s and time. New H5000 system installed. Sail inventory may be a little tired but last year was a light N2B year and the North's are a durable sail. Similar 38 foot boats are priced at the same point without updated electronics, sail inventory, fresh paint, rigging or recent general maintenance. Turnkey at the listing point is an interesting discussion IMO.

Related but not is what about the Farr 42 a few docks over for the same ask? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/custom-irc-orc-farr-42-3479992/

And on the J/125 vs. Farr 400, would you pay $100k more for the older but proven design? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/farr-400-3491794/

Hard calls; personally I'm a below 40' guy in terms of running costs but some of these race boats are tempting at their price points.

Why would anyone buy a Farr400 at all? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samc99us said:

Related but not is what about the Farr 42 a few docks over for the same ask? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/custom-irc-orc-farr-42-3479992/

Should sell for maybe 50K.  The sails, if I read the small print correctly are at least 7yrs old and even the newest might not be wallet-grade.  Probably a nice sailing boat but is it going to be competitive?  Will it be fun?  Anyone who is looking for a bargain vs the boat they want to sail is doomed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Why would anyone buy a Farr400 at all? 

One of the easiest to use, fun, best bang for the buck little big boats ever. There's not many 38 foot boats you can ocean race and then turn around and put on a trailer fully in about 4 hours with two guys and then drive off with your pickup truck. I'd take one again in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Should sell for maybe 50K.  The sails, if I read the small print correctly are at least 7yrs old and even the newest might not be wallet-grade.  Probably a nice sailing boat but is it going to be competitive?  Will it be fun?  Anyone who is looking for a bargain vs the boat they want to sail is doomed.  

So...a custom built 2007 Farr 42 is only worth $50k but a 1998 Sydney 38' is a better buy at $125k???

 

Stick to the Cal 20

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billomalley said:

So...a custom built 2007 Farr 42 is only worth $50k but a 1998 Sydney 38' is a better buy at $125k???

 

Stick to the Cal 20

I never said the Sydney was a better buy dipstick.  The Farr at 100+ is a joke.  

There's a thread about the Cal 20, not so much for the Farr.  

Please read my last sentence and if you don't get it, you are clearly someone I don't want to sail with.  The kind of guy who sitting on the rail and handed a sandwich asks, do you have spicy brown mustard.  I know your type, love to sail but don't get your uniform dirty.  That, or you might just be stupid as shit.  it's a coin toss.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fucks sake don't you DARE ask for Grey Poupon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I never said the Sydney was a better buy dipstick.  The Farr at 100+ is a joke.  

There's a thread about the Cal 20, not so much for the Farr.  

Please read my last sentence and if you don't get it, you are clearly someone I don't want to sail with.  The kind of guy who sitting on the rail and handed a sandwich asks, do you have spicy brown mustard.  I know your type, love to sail but don't get your uniform dirty.  That, or you might just be stupid as shit.  it's a coin toss.  

 

You got me figured out!  I'm new to all this race boat stuff, clearly you are an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billomalley said:

You got me figured out!  I'm new to all this race boat stuff, clearly you are an expert.

Please share your expertise.  Tell me how the Farr 42 is worth shit.  Please.  All new rags?  Who do you race against, a well prepped J-boat of this generation will kick your ass.  Please, be my Oracle!

The Farr is one or two dump truck loads to the landfill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone zhould own a J-88 and be done with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

everyone zhould own a J-88 and be done with it

Lead?  That stuff will kill you. Get a trimaran and enjoy speed and comfort.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Farr is a very nice boat but I don't know if they'll get that much for it; it's either a stripped down long distance offshore race boat or a very nice daysailer. Rather have the Farr 400 than a 125 because hey, its handicap racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please share your expertise.  Tell me how the Farr 42 is worth shit.  Please.  All new rags?  Who do you race against, a well prepped J-boat of this generation will kick your ass.  Please, be my Oracle!

The Farr is one or two dump truck loads to the landfill.  

This is funny!!!  Mr. O'Malley may know a thing or two about race boats.  I would trust his opinion on boat valuations.  He has only been around this stuff for like 30 years....  

the Farr needs some investment to take care of some deferred maintenance but it was built by a top flight builder and Farr can draw a fast boat.  For an owner that understands that, it can be a very competitive boat that is very well built.  Panning the boat because it needs new sails is a bit short sighted.  

The Sydney is nice, but from a design standpoint it is a recycled 40'er with 2' cut off the transom. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, T sailor said:

This is funny!!!  Mr. O'Malley may know a thing or two about race boats.  I would trust his opinion on boat valuations.  He has only been around this stuff for like 30 years....  

the Farr needs some investment to take care of some deferred maintenance but it was built by a top flight builder and Farr can draw a fast boat.  For an owner that understands that, it can be a very competitive boat that is very well built.  Panning the boat because it needs new sails is a bit short sighted.  

The Sydney is nice, but from a design standpoint it is a recycled 40'er with 2' cut off the transom. 

What is it about reading comprehension on the east coast.  I never compared the two boats.  The Sydney needs a sail overhaul so you're out 20K for this or next year.  The Farr, 40K to hit the race course just to get your ass kicked.  Mr. O'Malley is disillusioned if he thinks it will fetch more than 50.  So much for his knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

The kind of guy who sitting on the rail and handed a sandwich asks, do you have spicy brown mustard.  I know your type, love to sail but don't get your uniform dirty.  That, or you might just be stupid as shit.  it's a coin toss.  

 

umm, uh, NO!  He could teach you a few things about sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wess said:

umm, uh, NO!  He could teach you a few things about sailing.

I like to think everyone could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T sailor said:

 Panning the boat because it needs new sails is a bit short sighted.  

You must not be from around here.

Around this place it seems that an old boat that needs sails, extensive cleaning & waxing and a fresh bottom is due for the dumpster.

If it needs paint then you're risking your life even stepping aboard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, doghouse said:

One of the easiest to use, fun, best bang for the buck little big boats ever. There's not many 38 foot boats you can ocean race and then turn around and put on a trailer fully in about 4 hours with two guys and then drive off with your pickup truck. I'd take one again in a heartbeat.

How do you figure the 400 is a 38' boat? Haven't some of them done the reverse bow stem extension to make them 41 feet? Maybe not that one but I thought at least some had? Trying to be a 125 I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Parma said:

How do you figure the 400 is a 38' boat? Haven't some of them done the reverse bow stem extension to make them 41 feet? Maybe not that one but I thought at least some had? Trying to be a 125 I guess.

Finally.  SA has facilitated the right question.  There might even be information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were such a great design why did they all have to get their noses redone  and are impossible to sell?  How many hulls  were built ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If they were such a great design why did they all have to get their noses redone  and are impossible to sell?  How many hulls  were built ?

Because if you're going to race handicap you may as well be comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 I raced Copernicus here on SF Bay for a few seasons, and she reveled in the conditions.  Offshores too, Monterey Bay Race and Coastal Cup, where the symmetrical kites were a massive advantage in 30 knots out of the North West.  At least until we blew out two of them.  The boat is built like a brick dunny.

Rounding up in 35k past Pt. Sur, oh my.   They can take a punch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have raced a lot on Sydney 38s in one design and I have an affectation for them but that Betts built Farr at the right price would be my choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I have raced a lot on Sydney 38s in one design and I have an affectation for them but that Betts built Farr at the right price would be my choice.

What price?  No one has argued the S38's ask price is realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parma said:

How do you figure the 400 is a 38' boat? Haven't some of them done the reverse bow stem extension to make them 41 feet? Maybe not that one but I thought at least some had? Trying to be a 125 I guess.

Because that's how long they were? The one listed has the first bow mod done I believe, the previous owner commissioned the design.

 

Personally I think the bow mod is worthless unless you sail in 30 knots everyday.

1 hour ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If they were such a great design why did they all have to get their noses redone  and are impossible to sell?  How many hulls  were built ?

They didn't that I know of. As above, I thought it wasn't worthwhile so we didn't even consider it. 

I'm not sure how impossible to sell they are, we sold without even wanting to. Just got cold called that someone wanted it.

I think maybe nine were made? I'll see some PCT guys tomorrow and can ask them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

I have raced a lot on Sydney 38s in one design and I have an affectation for them but that Betts built Farr at the right price would be my choice.

The Farr keeps dropping in price.  $125k at last look.  A non-profit owns it.  Make an offer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What price?  No one has argued the S38's ask price is realistic.

You’d have to pull all the sails out, inspect all gear and work receipts etc etc.

Jim Betts builds a nice boat and that Farr looks reasonably slippery compared to an S38.

I wouldn’t offer an opinion until Id had a good look over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All boats mentioned in this thread are overpriced.

The Farr 42 looks pretty good, but when you consider the age of all sails and that the standing rigging is probably all original, you have to wonder where else have the owners not spent money on the boat over the years. Any new owner will probably have to spend 30k on day one for new sails and then another 40k if they want to race offshore, plus 20k on rigging. 

I don't know what he boat should be worth in proper racing condition, but you would probably want a huge discount on the advertised price regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

You’d have to pull all the sails out, inspect all gear and work receipts etc etc.

Jim Betts builds a nice boat and that Farr looks reasonably slippery compared to an S38.

I wouldn’t offer an opinion until Id had a good look over it.

Who are you going to race against?  Like I said, I'm sure the boat is quick, but against who?  FOLKS, BUY THE BOAT YOU WANT TO SAIL AND FFS, IGNORE ANY COMMENTS MADE ON SAILING ANARCHY1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Who are you going to race against?  Like I said, I'm sure the boat is quick, but against who?  FOLKS, BUY THE BOAT YOU WANT TO SAIL AND FFS, IGNORE ANY COMMENTS MADE ON SAILING ANARCHY1

Why are you yelling?

Halfway through a bottle of scotch are we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Why are you yelling?

Halfway through a bottle of scotch are we?

Cheap beer and just getting started thanks.  The shouting was for emphasis as I have seen too many buy a deal and not the right boat.  Reminds me of the adage, Expensive is once, Cheap is forever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doghouse said:

Because that's how long they were? The one listed has the first bow mod done I believe, the previous owner commissioned the design.

 

Personally I think the bow mod is worthless unless you sail in 30 knots everyday.

They didn't that I know of. As above, I thought it wasn't worthwhile so we didn't even consider it. 

I'm not sure how impossible to sell they are, we sold without even wanting to. Just got cold called that someone wanted it.

I think maybe nine were made? I'll see some PCT guys tomorrow and can ask them.

There are 3 on the East Coast of Australia between Sydney and Lake Macquarie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Trickypig said:

You’d have to pull all the sails out, inspect all gear and work receipts etc etc.

Jim Betts builds a nice boat and that Farr looks reasonably slippery compared to an S38.

I wouldn’t offer an opinion until Id had a good look over it.

 

The Sydney 38 is faster than you think  Over a 1 hour race in 9 knots or more they are typically around 3 minutes slower but in 5 knots the Farr is much faster  The thing that made them so popular in the 90s was that when new they were half the price of a new Farr 40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That $20k Express 37 looks like a great deal even if it likely needs a repower and new sails.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure that I will regret getting back into this but there are so many misstatements about the S38 that I need to correct a few:

  1. First S38 was delivered in 2000 so there were (are) no 1990s boats.
  2. Clearly built as a racer/cruiser (emphasis on racer) deck is similar to the Farr 40. (agreed that they were much cheaper particularly when the AUS dollar was way down)
  3. It is not a Sidney 40 with two feet of the transom--it did borrow a lot from the 40 but I understand the redesign took most of the length out of the middle of the boat
  4. Built like a fortress with ordinary glass and epoxy--no exotics--does make her heavier but stiffness and longevity that lasts.
  5. The 38 may be "sticky" but even in a known light wind area like Chicago the 38s have been very successful on handicap under IRC, ORR and PHRF.  And when it blows hard the 38s are a delight.
  6. The subject of this thread was delivered in late July 2000 and made its first regatta in August of 2000.

Robin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone zhould own a J-88 and be done with it

I raced many events with this boat (S-38) and was impressed with her prep and performance. The value analysis provided in this thread appears spot on regardless of the boats health. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, Rum Runner said:

I believe it was originally Serenissma from Chicago that moved east a few years ago.  It sat for a couple of years on the hard before moving to MD.  Repainted in Annapolis. Hull was originally white.

You are correct