Sign in to follow this  
stayoutofthemiddle

Best Offshore PFD?

I'm refreshing my gear this season and need a new offshore PFD. Self-inflating with built in harness. I think the standard one most have is the Mustang HIT™ Inflatable PFD with Sailing Harness. https://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_US/products/flotation/inflatable-pfds/hit-inflatable-pfd-with-sailing-harness-auto-hydrostatic-MD318402.html

Any other suggestions? I'd prefer a dingy style one with is offshore certified (neck support) but can't seem to find those...

I have worn both the Spinlock and Mustang not the one above.  I wore this and it was extremely comfortable the only issue is getting it off and on with a full offshore foul weather jacket.  It is comfortable when on but getting the collar (with hood inside) in and out took a bit of effort but comfy once on. This is the model I mean https://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_US/products/flotation/inflatable-pfds/ep-38-ocean-racing-inflatable-vest-auto-hydrostatic-62533130036.html

I have done thousands of miles with my Spinlock .  It is a great harness easy on and off.  The downside is two fold.  First comfort it tends to hang on your neck. I have found even when I tighten the rear adjustment it rotates forward onto my neck.  There has also been some discussion at least about earlier versions that the inflatable lifejacket is not well attached to the harness and can end up incorrectly placed on the wrong side of your head.  See the USCG and US Sailing report from the boat that went onto San Clemente Island during a race. This is it here https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/categories/lifejackets/product_groups/deckvest-5d

Hope this helps

Got to say I am liking my teamo back two jacket. I bought it early this year as my old spinlock was getting a bit worn and am throughly impressed. It sits on your shoulders not around you neck and I have actually forgotten in wearing it a couple of times as u don’t feel the weight of it.

I have also tested the harness release to tow from behind as after doing some drills a couple of years ago before a Hobart and almost drowning our crew member when testing going over the side hooked on from the foredeck at low speeds. I was interested to see how it works and it takes the low speed situation from a threat to just unpleasant.

The build quality seems to be good yet as a newer product still need to see how it holds up long term.

I have worn the Team O and the SPinlock Vito recently.

I found the Team O to be heavy and difficult to adjust. I guess if it is your own you could cut the overlength adjusting straps so that they don't flap around, but it is still seriously heavy, and I personally found it uncomfortable. Obviously I am a different build to the guy above...

The Vito is incredibly comfortable after a week of offshore. They have managed to redesign the previous Spinlock kit so that the bulk of the lifejacket is actually packed at your back. Simple to get into from the side, space enough to fit an AIS unit in with ease, and hydrostatic release to reduce chance inflation when wet. 

Is the Vito suitable for a larger human? Say over 220lbs? I also need to upgrade before Mac race and am leaning towards this. It's so new, there are not many people to get opinions from yet. 

Most of the racers around where I am seem to have the Spinlock 5D. I have one as well and it's pretty nice and comfy - other than the aforementioned thing where it can ride up on the back of your neck a bit.

My friend who sails a bit more casually got the spinlock LITE+, as it was cheaper and still came with a built in harness.

3 hours ago, Sneaky Sanchez said:

Is the Vito suitable for a larger human? Say over 220lbs? I also need to upgrade before Mac race and am leaning towards this. It's so new, there are not many people to get opinions from yet. 

You are about the same size as me (100kg in European...)  and it will keep me afloat easily fully clothed in full offshore kit. It was testedand improved by the VOR crew, and some of those boys are big units! 

I have seen it used in anger, and work 100%.

Vito, all the way.  I was using the Spinlock 5D but made the switch for a new one I needed last fall when they first came out and could not be happier.  I have a 5 D on board and the Vito, and only end up wearing the Vito.  For all the reasons described by others.

I do not find it difficult to get on over full kit.  I did try out the Mustang version which I found very similar, but the opening (e.g. shoulder width) of the kit is a bit tighter than that of the Vito and thus was more of an issue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rail Meat said:

Vito, all the way.  I was using the Spinlock 5D but made the switch for a new one I needed last fall when they first came out and could not be happier.  I have a 5 D on board and the Vito, and only end up wearing the Vito.  For all the reasons described by others.

I do not find it difficult to get on over full kit.  I did try out the Mustang version which I found very similar, but the opening (e.g. shoulder width) of the kit is a bit tighter than that of the Vito and thus was more of an issue.

Hey RM, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Enjoy the Dingy Club, I've fond memories.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, Potter said:

This is why I like the Vito. Happily kept Dee afloat in full gear. 

Man Overboard on a dark night in 20+ kts

Potter Vito gets another vote...Spinlock just love taking my money trading up.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/gear-reviews/tried-tested-spinlock-deckvest-vito-lifejacket-121852

Just purchased the Vito, and I can say that it seems light, easy to adjust, and everything I have read about it seems true. Only worn it once so far, but was very comfortable. The binnacle was selling it for 340 US dollars. Better deal than paying 400.