Sign in to follow this  
cuajota

Speed from iPhone GPS on Raymarine Instruments?

OK...my Raymarine (TackTick) wireless instruments have a problem with the speed transducer and because my boat was designed so long ago the location of the original transducer (where the speed transducer was installed) does not allow me access to remove it without pulling the boat.  So in the meantime I had a wild thought.  Can my iPhone (or iPad) transmit the GPS speed via NMEA and display it on my boat instruments? I have the Raymarine super sail pack with the NMEA module and a Bidirectional Wifi NMEA Router system so I can see the boat data on the iPhone and iPad.  On the iPhone I can run a GPS app and get the GPS speed.  It will transmit GPS, compass, and all that info.  Anyone know if the speed info can be displayed on the Raymarine displays?  This would be a cheap way to get my speed data on the instruments until I can pull the boat and swap the transducer.  

The Raymarine surely has a NMEA in port? A gps receiver putting out NMEA is around $20?

There is an iPhone app that exports gps data on TCP, but getting it to talk to Raymarine might be a challenge. 

Yes the Raymarine system has NMEA input.  I have a few iPhone apps that transmit GPS data over TCP or more specifically UDP which is what my WiFi/NMEA interface is speaking.  I have that setup so info is going back and forth.  Speed was still 0 even though on my iPhone in various apps it was showing 5 knots.  Maybe its another screen on my Raymarine interface...Maybe I should be looking for something like SOG vs the knots speed indicator that its trying to get from the wired transducer, which shows 0 knots.  

Update....just looked in the manual.

The speed screen looks at the speed from the transducer.  SOG screen looks at GPS speed.  I'll try that tomorrow.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, DDW said:

The Raymarine surely has a NMEA in port? A gps receiver putting out NMEA is around $20?

There is an iPhone app that exports gps data on TCP, but getting it to talk to Raymarine might be a challenge. 

Looking for the $20 GPS with NMEA output....links?

Google is a pretty good search engine to try. For example this one for $11.99. Uncased modules are down in the $7-8 range in quantity one. 

Got it working...some bonehead (me) didn't connect the NMEA IN on the NMEA interface from the WiFi router.  Once I did that...The SOG showed up...the COG showed up...The GPS coordinates showed up...I am using an iPhone app GPS2IP on one of my old iPhones.  So it just stays in that app and is down below.  Pretty slick.  Now to get my transducer swapped and the boat speed will work along with all the other boat data.  I may look into some kind of mast repeater for some of this data.  Next step tying a tiller pilot into all this.  

On 6/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, DDW said:

Google is a pretty good search engine to try. For example this one for $11.99. Uncased modules are down in the $7-8 range in quantity one. 

Thanks...what threw me off was the connection...I could probably cut that and use the raw wire plugged into the NMEA GPS input.