ricwoz

Annapolis vs. Newport Boat Shows

I live in Washington state so neither of these shows is convenient for me.  I'm thinking of taking a trip to attend one or the other.  Attending either will be a short vacation, where I also spend a few days in the area being a tourist.    I'm wondering if some of you have attended both (or either) of these events could comment on them.   Are they very different?  What's the focus of them? 

I lived in Connecticut many years ago so I've been to Rhode Island a few times, but I've never spent time in Maryland.   That makes Annapolis a slightly more interesting venue, all other things being equal.   But I suspect other things are not equal.    Both shows run from Thursday through the weekend, Annapolis tacks on the Monday.   

Newport -  Sept. 12-15, 2019
Annapolis - Oct. 10 - 14, 2019

I'm sure that the weather in Newport in Sept is likely to be pretty nice.  How about Annapolis in Oct?   How long do you spend at these sorts of shows when you attend, assuming you want to see most of it.   Is a day sufficient or should one plan for two days at the actual show.    Any other reasons you think one is superior to the other? 

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions. 

The Newport show used to be really good, but has become more & more like a powerboat show

Go on VIP day and dress for rain.

Never attended the Newport show so cant comment.

Annapolis: If you remove all the multihulls, Beneteau's, Jeanneau,s and vacation/charter displays you can see the entire show including the tents in 40 minutes.

If you are shopping for a boat I would search yachtworld for the selections in the two areas.

Crab Cakes in Annapolis. Beer is colder. Women are taller.

Newport has some fishy tails, stout and short girls 

You can take the subway into DC if you want to do the tourist thing, there is a station about 15 minutes drive from Annapolis harbor.  The rum is good.    If you want to walk around on large yachts, it can be fun.  Make sure your shoes come off easily.   Otherwise just go sailing.   There weren’t many boats, just condos and yachts.   Why would I want a complicated mechanism so a large flat screen TV can slide up from the furniture in the owner’s stateroom of a dream yacht that can go anywhere in the world?    The buyer may as well stay home and watch Nat Geo.   Perhaps I don’t understand the mindset of a yacht owner.   

Annapolis, especially considering this year that Newport will be a bit of a mishmash with the construction of the new hotel where the show office and tent were on Sayer's Wharf. 

10 hours ago, Lark said:

You can take the subway into DC if you want to do the tourist thing, there is a station about 15 minutes drive from Annapolis harbor.  The rum is good.    If you want to walk around on large yachts, it can be fun.  Make sure your shoes come off easily.   Otherwise just go sailing.   There weren’t many boats, just condos and yachts.   Why would I want a complicated mechanism so a large flat screen TV can slide up from the furniture in the owner’s stateroom of a dream yacht that can go anywhere in the world?    The buyer may as well stay home and watch Nat Geo.   Perhaps I don’t understand the mindset of a yacht owner.   

Not anytime I have been there maybe 2 am Christmas morning but definitely not boat show weekend. It would be hard to get from one end of Annapolis to the other in 15 mins on a good weekend. The closest Metro station to Annapolis is New Carrrollton I believe and that is inside the beltway definitely not 15 minutes from downtown Annapolis.  

I have been to Annapolis Boat show a number of times and the best way I have found to visit is to have a child attend the Naval Academy use parents privilege to park on the yard walk out the gate and into the boat show, bonus they don't charge the mids so you save a few bucks

42 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Not anytime I have been there maybe 2 am Christmas morning but definitely not boat show weekend. It would be hard to get from one end of Annapolis to the other in 15 mins on a good weekend. The closest Metro station to Annapolis is New Carrrollton I believe and that is inside the beltway definitely not 15 minutes from downtown Annapolis.  

I have been to Annapolis Boat show a number of times and the best way I have found to visit is to have a child attend the Naval Academy use parents privilege to park on the yard walk out the gate and into the boat show, bonus they don't charge the mids so you save a few bucks

I was going by memory from 2017, probably it was from the hotel.  It was on a weekend.  Those narrow, congested city streets were enough to scare me back to Ohio.  I was glad the hotel had a van to the show.

Edit.   As an outsider who isn't impressed by state lines or local turf battles, they really need to extend the subway to Annapolis and invent public transport in Annapolis.  Thanks for the local knowledge.

Annapolis would be my choice:

Pros:

1. This was the original boat show

2. Annapolis is very interesting besides for the show

3. The show is kind of a semi-official gathering of southbound cruisers. Insurance and weather wisdom hold boats here until November 1, so you get to see a huge variety of boats in the area and many of the cruisers have jobs in the show.

4. If any kind of gear or boat is going to be shown at any show, it is likely to be shown here.

5. On Monday you can get good deals on gear that the vendors don't feel like packing up.

6. Show move-out day is like nothing you have even seen before and you just might see a crash :D

7. The weather is generally pretty good at this time, although it can possibly be very hot, cold, flooded, or hurricane-ing. YMMV

8. Various boat builders including multihulls will sometimes have boats you can go sailing on. It varies year to year.

9. Usually some well known boating people are doing classes or seminars of some kind.

10. Back when the gay bar was above Marmaduke's it was endless fun taking unsuspecting vendors up there.

11. EYC, SSA, and AYC all withing walking distance.

12. KBWI has good connections to just about anyplace.

Cons:

1. As the sailing industry declines toward a slow death, so does the variety at the show compared to years past.

2. Charter cats are a HUGE percentage of the boats on display and Cat-Ben-Hun types are another huge chunk. Offshore cruisers and racers are a shrinking category at best.

3. It is hard to get lodging near the show unless you start about a year in advance (when I worked the show I just stayed on my boat and dinghied in, traffic can be a bitch)

4. SA hates Annapolis for some reason, so there is that :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

I was going by memory from 2017, probably it was from the hotel.  It was on a weekend.  Those narrow, congested city streets were enough to scare me back to Ohio.  I was glad the hotel had a van to the show.

Once you get FREE of downtown, which can take between 5 minutes and infinity - depending, it is about 20 more minutes to the Metro unless there are more jams on 50.

Newport was my favorite when i was last there with the santa cruz 37

I like Naptown because I know how to enjoy the show. Often overlooked is the brokerage on the other side of the bridge... think I saw Bob Perry’s “Free Range Chicken” there a few years ago.

On the docks  if you are choosy you can have time to hang with some cool folks: I talked (well, listened) to Chris White for 30mins aboard his MastFoil 48, Dick Vermeulen aboard the MaineCat 38, Kevin Jeffrey when I was new to NorseBoats. Plus I’ve checked out Farriers, Allures, Ovni, HR, Amel, Southerly not to mention a handful of small raid type boats. 

The vendors are out in force, and I’ve picked up a few good ideas and made orders with sale price making a 20% difference.

I usually visit APS while in town and Cantler’s on the way home.

If you’re bored of that scene & have time, St Michaels Small Craft Festival is typically same weekend on the other side of the bay. Quirky and interesting group.

8 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

I like Naptown because I know how to enjoy the show. Often overlooked is the brokerage on the other side of the bridge... think I saw Bob Perry’s “Free Range Chicken” there a few years ago.

On the docks  if you are choosy you can have time to hang with some cool folks: I talked (well, listened) to Chris White for 30mins aboard his MastFoil 48, Dick Vermeulen aboard the MaineCat 38, Kevin Jeffrey when I was new to NorseBoats. Plus I’ve checked out Farriers, Allures, Ovni, HR, Amel, Southerly not to mention a handful of small raid type boats. 

The vendors are out in force, and I’ve picked up a few good ideas and made orders with sale price making a 20% difference.

I usually visit APS while in town and Cantler’s on the way home.

If you’re bored of that scene & have time, St Michaels Small Craft Festival is typically same weekend on the other side of the bay. Quirky and interesting group.

Newport has a brokerage show too and I enjoy that WAY more than the actual boat show.   I usually go to boat show to touch base with vendors for products I am looking into, but otherwise, the boats themselves are kinda underwhelming.  There are a couple gems, but most are basic boring.   I saw an incredible Lymann Morris at the show last year that was breathtaking.   Wouldn't want to do the teak though.  :D

They both suck donkey balls

On 6/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, ricwoz said:

I live in Washington state so neither of these shows is convenient for me.  I'm thinking of taking a trip to attend one or the other.  Attending either will be a short vacation, where I also spend a few days in the area being a tourist.    I'm wondering if some of you have attended both (or either) of these events could comment on them.   Are they very different?  What's the focus of them? 

Nappy show can be either 85 degrees and sweaty as fuck or 35 degrees with bitter wind and rain.  both shows are tiny and chock full of punters and fat guys with little dogs.

Stay out west.  better yet save your cash, work your contacts, and get an invite to the only sailing show worth going to, in a town that's 100x nicer than nap or newp.

• Like 1

I live in Newport and have been going to the show since 1972.  I'm in the marine industry and have been doing Annapolis for the last 25 years.

The Newport show is a joke, half and half with powerboats which are taking up more and more of the dock space yearly.  Fewer good suppliers.  It is God's country but there's a good chance you'll get a hurricane or major front that makes it crappy.

Annapolis has serious business being done, sells way more boats and is called a Sailboat show for a reason, no powerboats to be seen.  I've seen it be 120 degrees in the tents and have seen my breath in our tent while there was a monsoon on the docks.  Still a better show.  The only real knock is that it's in Annapolis, not Newport

It used to be that all the really amazing hand built wooden boats from Maine & other areas down east went to Newport, not anymore though, big loss.

Don't think Newport wants the show in town anymore, really.

53 minutes ago, Sal Minella said:

I live in Newport and have been going to the show since 1972.  I'm in the marine industry and have been doing Annapolis for the last 25 years.

The Newport show is a joke, half and half with powerboats which are taking up more and more of the dock space yearly.  Fewer good suppliers.  It is God's country but there's a good chance you'll get a hurricane or major front that makes it crappy.

Annapolis has serious business being done, sells way more boats and is called a Sailboat show for a reason, no powerboats to be seen.  I've seen it be 120 degrees in the tents and have seen my breath in our tent while there was a monsoon on the docks.  Still a better show.  The only real knock is that it's in Annapolis, not Newport

this.

I have done both at least a dozen times each.

Annapolis wins hands down.

the vendors at Annapolis are in much greater attendance.

I am looking for technical advice and what is new.  I find that in spades at Annapolis.

In the old days, one could do the Newport show and then attend the Sailboat show in Atlantic City for gear that winter.

AC no longer exists, so that level of information has disappeared in the North East.

There have been years when I only get on 1 boat in the water.  All my time is talking with vendors.

Annapolis also has the Boat Yard grill round the corner which is also a positive.

Traffic for both is about the same, unless you go on a Saturday when Navy is playing football at home, in case it is a bit of a hassle to park and take the bus in.

Either should be done on the Friday and early on to miss the masses and scoop up the deals the vendors are giving.