Hi all,

The club I race out of is looking at purchasing a 30 foot boat for racing purposes. They are looking for a boat that is manageable for a few skilled youth sailors and several young adults (crew size 5-8). An ideal boat would be around 20-30 thousand dollars but depending on the boat we can go higher and the boat needs to be competitive under phrf. Any ideas out there? farr 30, Flying Tiger 10M, Antrim 27, Carrera 290? Some boats we would race against are 4+ Farr 30's, 2 flying tigers, 4+ J109's, J111, and several other boats around 30 feet that rate between 70-98.

Cheers,

Matt

What sort of events are you looking to do? As you are in BC, things like Round Bowen, Round Saltspring, Swiftsure, Southern Straits all seem as possible in addition to short (VARC) events. In your above list the Farr and the FT10 are much faster with ratings in the 50s. 

For a club boat, buying something where there are other boats in the area can help save costs by giving you an avenue for used gear and sails from other boats in the area. Same can be said for giving you a pretty direct benchmark of how you are doing without the vagaries of a handicap rating. 

+1, or if you are old school, a Mumm 30.

Edit: Hendo 30's are cool too, but Farr sounds like where your (potential) fleet is.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:18 PM, SailorMatt said:

Hi all,

The club I race out of is looking at purchasing a 30 foot boat for racing purposes. They are looking for a boat that is manageable for a few skilled youth sailors and several young adults (crew size 5-8). An ideal boat would be around 20-30 thousand dollars but depending on the boat we can go higher and the boat needs to be competitive under phrf. Any ideas out there? farr 30, Flying Tiger 10M, Antrim 27, Carrera 290? Some boats we would race against are 4+ Farr 30's, 2 flying tigers, 4+ J109's, J111, and several other boats around 30 feet that rate between 70-98.

Cheers,

Matt

The answer (to me) is in the question. 

I would lean toward those with a bigger fleet of similar boats.

Farr 30 having 4+ is huge (also a great boat)... Lack of prodder is easily solved.

FT 10 is an even better boat, I think, for what you are doing, but only 2 is a slight downfall.

J109 not nearly as good... for what I think, but 4+ fleet is a major positive (I would still steer to a Farr 30 in this case though), good all around boat, slightly lacking on cockpit for 8...

What's the typical wind conditions where you sail? Judging by the boats already there it's light-moderate... All those boats would then be suitable.

Melges 32. Put down your glasses. I sailed Mumm 30's and Melges 32s for the last 10 years. Different era's. Both are spectacular boats by the way.