Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

The club I race out of is looking at purchasing a 30 foot boat for racing purposes. They are looking for a boat that is manageable for a few skilled youth sailors and several young adults (crew size 5-8). An ideal boat would be around 20-30 thousand dollars but depending on the boat we can go higher and the boat needs to be competitive under phrf. Any ideas out there? farr 30, Flying Tiger 10M, Antrim 27, Carrera 290? Some boats we would race against are 4+ Farr 30's, 2 flying tigers, 4+ J109's, J111, and several other boats around 30 feet that rate between 70-98.

Cheers,

Matt

What sort of events are you looking to do? As you are in BC, things like Round Bowen, Round Saltspring, Swiftsure, Southern Straits all seem as possible in addition to short (VARC) events. In your above list the Farr and the FT10 are much faster with ratings in the 50s. 

For a club boat, buying something where there are other boats in the area can help save costs by giving you an avenue for used gear and sails from other boats in the area. Same can be said for giving you a pretty direct benchmark of how you are doing without the vagaries of a handicap rating. 

• Like 1

+1, or if you are old school, a Mumm 30.

Edit: Hendo 30's are cool too, but Farr sounds like where your (potential) fleet is.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:18 PM, SailorMatt said:

Hi all,

The club I race out of is looking at purchasing a 30 foot boat for racing purposes. They are looking for a boat that is manageable for a few skilled youth sailors and several young adults (crew size 5-8). An ideal boat would be around 20-30 thousand dollars but depending on the boat we can go higher and the boat needs to be competitive under phrf. Any ideas out there? farr 30, Flying Tiger 10M, Antrim 27, Carrera 290? Some boats we would race against are 4+ Farr 30's, 2 flying tigers, 4+ J109's, J111, and several other boats around 30 feet that rate between 70-98.

Cheers,

Matt

The answer (to me) is in the question. 

I would lean toward those with a bigger fleet of similar boats.

Farr 30 having 4+ is huge (also a great boat)... Lack of prodder is easily solved.

FT 10 is an even better boat, I think, for what you are doing, but only 2 is a slight downfall.

J109 not nearly as good... for what I think, but 4+ fleet is a major positive (I would still steer to a Farr 30 in this case though), good all around boat, slightly lacking on cockpit for 8...

What's the typical wind conditions where you sail? Judging by the boats already there it's light-moderate... All those boats would then be suitable.

Melges 32. Put down your glasses. I sailed Mumm 30's and Melges 32s for the last 10 years. Different era's. Both are spectacular boats by the way. 

Oh. I didn't see the price range... Can you get 30ft boats that cheap? 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

IMG_2719.jpg This would be a good choice.Look in SA classifieds 

Didn't find this. Can you link?

17 hours ago, nroose said:

Didn't find this. Can you link?

Hendo 30 in the classifieds on this site 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 2:18 AM, SailorMatt said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Matt

Buy an Olson 30. Expensive boats are around 20k with upgrades. I would buy a decent one for around 10k and spend 15k upgrading it to you spec. Just to give you a taste of the performance:

In terms of best 30 ft boat.  Melges 32 is the best boat period.   But it may be a little to expensive and it is a little more of a handful for a young crew.   I would say the FT10.  Good manageable boat with a little interior and the right price range, also quite fun to sail.

I definitely Vote the Hendo, Very cool boats to get into and race. Lots of Personal Tweaking to do if you wanted. Also having a trailer is never a bad thing.

lot of unique features, also Melges 32 parts do fit on the boat, One thing to do is look at the rudder bearings which can be upgraded to Melges 32 bearings, pretty much a direct drop in. The outboard in the well is a nice feature if you don't want to deal with an inboard. The articulated Bow Sprit also great for long downwind, for can racing leave it centered. Also the Running Back Stays are for trimming and not overly structural so very forgiving rig. 

Best 30' for the $?  That's easy.  Melges 24. Slaughters anything less than 35' and does so cheaply and easily.  Ask any of my PHRF competitors.  Bwaaaaaaa!

2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Best 30' for the $?  That's easy.  Melges 24. Slaughters anything less than 35' and does so cheaply and easily.  Ask any of my PHRF competitors.  Bwaaaaaaa!

^ TRUE ^

Henderson 30...

We just acquired one recently and the boat is an absolute blast to sail. Very technical for sure when it comes to making to boat go fast, but can be sailed around for fun much easier. We race with 7-8 people (sometimes hard to find). A big reason is weight to keep the boat down but also most people should know whats going on because the boat is definitely busy. That big a spin is a monster and can take you for a ride when your not on the ball but if you can can keep her sailing its an awesome ride. We have only had the boat a short time and have already enjoyed our fair share of downwind wipe outs.. when you feel that tiller start to loose grip shes adios!  

That being said if you just want to go for a tear around the harbor or even light wind racing it is very manageable with less people. Its really when you get into the more technical maneuvers like spin hoisting and dousing (especially when windy) that having a larger crew who knows whats going on... not just rail meat, can pay off. 

Of the suggestions the Henderson 30 is going to be both the most fun and the hardest to sail to its rating (based on the fleet you list) in my personal experience. Olson 30 is much less fun but much more fairly rated and easier to handle. 

How is your annual upkeep, maintenance and sail budget ? 

Big diff between running M32 vs Olsen 30.