Mr B

Info for Zonker.

Hi There,

I found this Forum by accident looking on the Internet,

I came across an archived thread on Gemini's, and a comment by Zonker on my Cat, in 2014

He met me in Vanuatu as I was sailing on my cat on the way from Fiji to Australia, 

If you were the man that downloaded a backup map on my laptop in Vanuatu, Thank you, It did come in very handy, 

Yes I did make it home, In my Gemini 105mc,  I had a 6 week crash course in sailing as I couldnt sail a boat of any kind when I bought my Cat in Fiji,

But I was a motor boat driver of some forty years, So I wasnt a novice Boaty, 

And plan B was driving it home on the Diesel if I couldnt sail it,

My cat now lives in Western Port bay Victoria Australia, 

It been repaired and I am almost ready to put it back in the water again,  Hulls have been beefed up from 5 mm to 13 mm, 

Cheers, Brian,

Boat piccy 27-3-2019 002.jpg

394.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The bottom pic looks as though the rig has no rake at all... is that right....?

That is correct, 

Yeah, that was me. Glad to see you made it to Australia. We were slightly worried about your sailing skills!

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Yeah, that was me. Glad to see you made it to Australia. We were slightly worried about your sailing skills!

Thanks to you, I made it, GPS was the problem, I had the wrong map in the GPS,  And I didnt know how to operate it either,

You did save me from that rock above Efate when you told me to change direction, That rock wasnt even on my GPS, And I couldnt see it in the dark, 10-00 PM at night, it was pitch black, Glad you were listening on the VHF,  I would have hit it and sunk, 

Once I got past Efate and hit clear water, I went to sleep, I turned around and came back and found you only because you had taught me how to operate the GPS,

With out your help on the GPS and the right map back in it, I didnt have a hope in hell of making it to Australia,  I had 3 big reefs to cross and with out knowing how to operate the GPS, I was toast, 

I had no problems after that, Except off Bundaberg, It had me on the beach as I sailed past 1/2 a mile out to sea,

Thanks Sincerely for your help.  Say Hi to your wife for me as well, 

Cheers, Brian,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mpenman said:

Brian I salute your cahonies man!!!

I second this, I wouldn't hesitate to sail part way around the world in an appropriately sea-worthy boat, but that's because I have 25 years of serious experience and trust my judgement of boats and said experience, I am seriously humbled by anyone who does it... with zero experience! That's seriously baller.

Mr. B, you already have more sea miles than most average sailors out there, including me. But how did you avoid learning a GPS with 40 years of motor boating??

13 hours ago, darth reapius said:

I second this, I wouldn't hesitate to sail part way around the world in an appropriately sea-worthy boat, but that's because I have 25 years of serious experience and trust my judgement of boats and said experience, I am seriously humbled by anyone who does it... with zero experience! That's seriously baller.

I'm not sure whether I admire him or not.... on one hand I'm all for living life and having a go but on the other hand I feel it's foolish and if he ends up on the bricks someone has to go to the rescue which could be dangerous and expensive.....   not sure on this one...

• Like 1

He was lucky. 

34 minutes ago, harrygee said:

Well, at least he began.

That he did, that's the humbling part. 11/10 for effort.

5 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Beginners’ Luck.......

Yep. I mean I was once off Hillarys Boat Harbour, and know the waters like the back of my c*ck, and was watching the new Rottnest Island Ferry being sea-trialed, and I looked at my dad and said "these guys must know the waters really well, because there's no way in hell I would drive through that area, it's so full of shallow bombies" and my dad said to me "Yeah, absolutely no way in hell I would do what they are doing, they must be crazy good" (us assuming experienced professionals are actually good at what they are doing), and then not 10 seconds later the ferry lifted out of the water as it rode up a bit of reef. Complete write off of a brand new that week launched ferry. There would have to have been a dozen experienced professionals on board.

So yeah, it's crazy lucky, even assuming that they were smart enough to take their sweet dear time, and put a huge amount of effort into navigation etc.

6 hours ago, mad said:

He was lucky. 

Yep

6 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I'm not sure whether I admire him or not.... on one hand I'm all for living life and having a go but on the other hand I feel it's foolish and if he ends up on the bricks someone has to go to the rescue which could be dangerous and expensive.....   not sure on this one...

Oh yeah, I mean absolutely I would not recommend what he has done. Like not in a million years, the number of people I know that ask me about this stuff and my advice is that if they aren't already sailing once a week, or have serious experience, then they shouldn't even consider it. I mean if you have to ask someone if you could do it, then you probably can't do it...

I am ever blown away by the number of people who buy boats in the thought that buying it would get them into sailing. I think you should be into (and by into I mean fucking obsessed like most of us are) BEFORE you buy a boat.

Reminds me of the time we helped a bloke and his wife LEARN TO SAIL, on a boat they had spent the last 10 years of their lives building almost full time with the dream of retiring on it and sailing around the world. They literally dedicated 10 years of their life to building a boat, and didn't even think to go sailing and see if they would like it before that. The wife got scared as hell in the rough weather and wanted no part in sailing after that, the boat was sold for a massive loss. 

I recall Brian had the wind directions messed up from his reading. He thought wind was described as blowing TO the direction instead of FROM.

So he trimmed his sails according to his sailing book for the SE trades. He trimmed them close hauled and was confused as to why the boat was not sailing faster from E to W (Fiji to Vanuatu).

18 hours ago, darth reapius said:

That he did, that's the humbling part. 11/10 for effort.

Yep. I mean I was once off Hillarys Boat Harbour, and know the waters like the back of my c*ck, and was watching the new Rottnest Island Ferry being sea-trialed, and I looked at my dad and said "these guys must know the waters really well, because there's no way in hell I would drive through that area, it's so full of shallow bombies" and my dad said to me "Yeah, absolutely no way in hell I would do what they are doing, they must be crazy good" (us assuming experienced professionals are actually good at what they are doing), and then not 10 seconds later the ferry lifted out of the water as it rode up a bit of reef. Complete write off of a brand new that week launched ferry. There would have to have been a dozen experienced professionals on board.

So yeah, it's crazy lucky, even assuming that they were smart enough to take their sweet dear time, and put a huge amount of effort into navigation etc.

Yep

Oh yeah, I mean absolutely I would not recommend what he has done. Like not in a million years, the number of people I know that ask me about this stuff and my advice is that if they aren't already sailing once a week, or have serious experience, then they shouldn't even consider it. I mean if you have to ask someone if you could do it, then you probably can't do it...

I am ever blown away by the number of people who buy boats in the thought that buying it would get them into sailing. I think you should be into (and by into I mean fucking obsessed like most of us are) BEFORE you buy a boat.

Reminds me of the time we helped a bloke and his wife LEARN TO SAIL, on a boat they had spent the last 10 years of their lives building almost full time with the dream of retiring on it and sailing around the world. They literally dedicated 10 years of their life to building a boat, and didn't even think to go sailing and see if they would like it before that. The wife got scared as hell in the rough weather and wanted no part in sailing after that, the boat was sold for a massive loss. 

Your last point is so true, I’ve seen that scenario so many times it’s not funny. Usually ends in divorce also.