Wagonmonster

Broken AGM Battery Terminal

Hey so this happened.... this isnt really my area so was wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar or has any advice.

The negative terminal has broken of, its an Victron AGM battery, not under warranty, and I would obviously rather not replace it as these aren't cheap 

Any helpful thoughts?

IMG_20190616_090031.jpg

IMG_20190616_090445.jpg

Sorry, you're fooked. There's not enuff left to attach (by any method) a connection of any sort. But since you're looking at replacement, anyway, you could try (with batt upright) carving out the sealant around the terminal and see if you can expose enuff to bolt a new tab on.

What's all over the box end of the wrench?

The broken terminal looks a bit pink.....

It's all about surface area to conduct a lot of amps. And the stub of copper DOES look a bit pinky.

12 hours ago, longy said:

It's all about surface area to conduct a lot of amps. And the stub of copper DOES look a bit pinky.

Yes the terminal is pretty pink, what does this mean? 

It means, in your case, that the original strength of the tab is much degraded. 

20 hours ago, toecutter said:

The gel/acid has leaked because the seal has broken around he remains of that tang. It was probably leaking for a while and the acid has eaten the tang because of galvanic corrosion thanks to the composition of the connecting lug. That battery is fooked.

Joy.... :/ thanks for the info. Guess I’m going shopping.