Winston29

What's your preferred wind app for iPhone?

I did a search, but everything is archived, and given how fast technology advances, I figured something new might be available that I wouldn't find in an old thread.  

I recently downloaded a free app called WindFinder, but as far as I can tell it's woefully inaccurate.   The app also gives conflicting readings, depending on how you search for the forecast.  You have the option to either click on a saved map location, or spell out the name of the city in question.  The two options result in two very different wind speed predictions for the same time of day.  

I'm not a very good judge of wind speed when I'm standing in it, so perhaps it's not that far off, but when the app says 5mph at 11:AM, and I get there at 11:00 and the wind is whistling through the rigging and stirring up the water, I figure something is wrong.  

I really don't need something for weather or barometric pressure, I'm just interested in wind speed so I can decide if it's worth driving the 25 miles to the port or not.  

I'm also not apposed to paying for the app if it means getting a quality site with accurate predictions.  (is that an oxymoron?)  

What do you 'guys' use?  

W

9 hours ago, solosailor said:

Sailflow and Predict Wind seem to be popular here in NorCal.    

Thanks, I'm installing PW now!

I don't mind Windy.tv makes it easy to visualize how the day will develop...

PredictWind is the best I have found for free. But I wish they would offer a cheaper option for the route planning for the weekend warriors,  can’t justify 100 bucks a month to get all the tools.  I don’t really need the route planning but it would be nice to practice planning a route and seeing if I could get the time windows predicted.  

I found a website called WindAlert.com that has pretty good information on conditions, that I've added to my phone.  

On my iPhone it goes directly to the port I launch from, which is nice.  

https://www.windalert.com/spot/4310

On 6/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, overdraft said:

I don't mind Windy.tv makes it easy to visualize how the day will develop...

I more than don't mind windy.com. They're no longer windy.tv except in legacy. I love the animated graphics! So much easier to understand and see it evolve. I wish Expedition could do this for me offshore. And there is an app.

For a medium to long term forecast (1-5 days) I use PredictWind

For short term forecast (less than 24hrs) I use AeroWeather.  It's based on the data that airports and pilots use. It provides a more accurate near term forecast with a probability of significant changes... see below (30% probability of 20 knots today)

IMG_1DAEBBC5D853-1.thumb.jpeg.c20d9d962ad64e8a52db858ca0418f06.jpeg

Windy.ty   Ive used all the aforementioned products and more.  Windy is most often accurate and a delight to use.  My other Go-to, particularly for offshore deliveries is   Weather4d

On 6/20/2019 at 1:02 AM, Winston29 said:

I really don't need something for weather or barometric pressure, I'm just interested in wind speed so I can decide if it's worth driving the 25 miles to the port or not.

i think some of the responses are not really distinguishing between forecasts and actual wind measurements in real time.

forecasts are useful, but what you really want is to supplement them with a real-time measurement - preferably close to where you want to sail.

Wind Hotline - started in the 80's or early 90's by windsurfers - became iwindsurf and ikitesurf.., and now also has the windalert, sailflow, and weatherflow brand names, has exactly this service. they are all the same company.

they have private anemometers at right at hundreds (thousands?) of sailing sites, and for about $100/year you can access the data on any one of their websites or apps.

if you don't subscribe, you just get the "public" stations - airports, a few weather buoys and so on.  the private sensors are updated every few minutes, while usually the airports and buoys are every hour. airport anemometers - even for airports on the water - are not usually sited that well for measuring wind on the water. the iwindsurf, sailflow, etc. sensor locations are chosen specifically to measure wind on the water as well as possible.

the subscription is well worth the cost, and as far as i know, they are the only service with this kind of anemometer network.

with the subscription, you also get access to twice-daily location-specific forecasts by a human.

the apps have many models - but except for their WRF model, you can get models anywhere

i have been a customer since the beginning.

one thing to remember is that you should log out of the app when racing, unless the SI's modify RRS 41 - outside assistance.., but i don't think many people are actually doing this...

here is the bay area from the iwindsurf website - white are public.., yellow are what you get with subscription

if you go to the insets, there are even more yellow/private stations

bay area.png

Throw you're phone directly up wind. 

If it comes back and hits you in the legs, it;s blowing about 60. 

If it comes back and hits you in the face, its blowing over 70.  

If it doesn't come back, you're probably better off.  As long as you have paper charts on board.