Grinder

Chicago/Mackinac Race 2019

Another upwind gear-buster nightmare or a genteel downwind pleasure cruise?

This will be my 20th.

What say you? 

So, dumb question...  I did a few back in the day.  Since then, moved to Colorado, went to school, got marrird, had a kid, baught a house,  currently putting said kid through school and campeigned a little boat pretty successfully for the last 21 yrs, So.....  What are the chances that I could get myself and/or some pretty decent guys on a boat in the nxt couple of yrs??  Tons of experience between us, just not much on anything much bigger than 24 ft and not much on big h20, but the mountain lake skilz should make up for it.  A few of us have chartered the cat 37's in long beach for lbrw, and the skilz are there, so the gumption is abundant.  

Inquiring minds and all that..

7 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Sitting this one out. 

Wat.

Just now, doghouse said:

Wat.

No boat and I’m stupid enough to do the Trans Superior with my brother. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I thought you learned your lesson on Ye Olde Trans Superior. I'm cold just thinking about it.

19 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

You mean the Trans Stupid?

• Like 1

since we will not be in it this year it will be the stuff of dreams

you are all welcome 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:
1 hour ago, Shorthanded said:

You mean the Trans Stupid?

Why the bad reputation for the race? Upwind log, drifter, those fucking flys from Lake Michigan?  

43 minutes ago, mad said:

Why the bad reputation for the race? Upwind log, drifter, those fucking flys from Lake Michigan?  

Cold.  Water temperature is 4 degrees, never warms up.

27 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Not quite 4 degrees - actually 3.4 degrees Celsius as of 18:50 EDST.  Or 37.8 F at buoy 45001, the mid-Superior weather buoy.  Air temp is 41.2F / 5.1C

Back to CYC Mack - the weather buoy 45002, North Lake Michigan is now 43.3F or 6.3C 

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

We have a cabin heater. Cruising class. But still cold on deck at night. It shouldn’t be an issue since I’m a Yooper, but I’ve become soft with age. 

• Like 2

Getting back to the CYC Mac, I still think it will be a much more pleasurable race compared to the last two years. Water will be cold so work the daytime sea breeze if it’s warm inland. Makes it fun as to when to cross the lake. Could be light in the middle if there isn’t a steady, consistent gradient. I’ll be watching from home with a Blackrocks Grand Rabbit in hand. 

I’d like to have an unofficial meet-up at the Mustang on Tuesday at 10pm to toast our friend Jon Santarelli.   Still miss him.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grinder said:

I’d like to have an unofficial meet-up at the Mustang on Tuesday at 10pm to toast our friend Jon Santarelli.   Still miss him.  

I'll be there.

21 for me...bringing allll of the cold weather gear.  

1438870783_MACKINACKSLOWDAYPANO-01sm.thumb.jpg.34c559ff636dbb43bb29df071ab46f66.jpg

Fuckin flies / GTFP

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blunted said:

1438870783_MACKINACKSLOWDAYPANO-01sm.thumb.jpg.34c559ff636dbb43bb29df071ab46f66.jpg

Fuckin flies / GTFP

It’s never a good sign when that boat can’t move. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 2:28 PM, shaggy said:

So, dumb question...  I did a few back in the day.  Since then, moved to Colorado, went to school, got marrird, had a kid, baught a house,  currently putting said kid through school and campeigned a little boat pretty successfully for the last 21 yrs, So.....  What are the chances that I could get myself and/or some pretty decent guys on a boat in the nxt couple of yrs??  Tons of experience between us, just not much on anything much bigger than 24 ft and not much on big h20, but the mountain lake skilz should make up for it.  A few of us have chartered the cat 37's in long beach for lbrw, and the skilz are there, so the gumption is abundant.  

Inquiring minds and all that..

No disrespect but bigger boats, offshore racing for multiple days/nights is an entirely different set of skills from what you describe. And it seems like every year somebody has a disaster story of getting ambushed by a squall on Chi-Mac.

You'd probably be better served finding some crew spots on experienced boats to learn the ropes. And/or maybe cut your teeth on something more benign like Newport-Ensenada or Santa Barbara-King Harbor. 

30 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

No disrespect but bigger boats, offshore racing for multiple days/nights is an entirely different set of skills from what you describe. And it seems like every year somebody has a disaster story of getting ambushed by a squall on Chi-Mac.

You'd probably be better served finding some crew spots on experienced boats to learn the ropes. And/or maybe cut your teeth on something more benign like Newport-Ensenada or Santa Barbara-King Harbor. 

I've done 26 and two solo, you are a condescending asshole.  Shaggy has done several Chi-Macs and has always seemed skilled.  So, go suck the Ed's dick so he has some real FP material.  

Edit;  I feel my message above wasn't strong enough.  Fuck off you Southern California pussy where they don't put reefs in the main.  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I've done 26 and two solo, you are a condescending asshole.  Shaggy has done several Chi-Macs and has always seemed skilled.  So, go suck the Ed's dick so he has some real FP material.  

Edit;  I feel my message above wasn't strong enough.  Fuck off you Southern California pussy where they don't put reefs in the main.  

Couldn't have said it better myself....  :D  

• Like 4

Solo Mac 2019 just wrapped up and serves as an early look at conditions on the lake. Like 2017,  a screaming close reach to Pt Betsie one of the fastest races in its 22 year history. Another year too- 3rd in a row- which featured a hard beat into easterlies up the strait to the Island from Grey's Reef.

It was colder this year than any since 2015 with flies and midges more abundant for those caught in wind holes since then as well.

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=7287

http://kws.kattack.com/WPlayer/WPosDisplay.aspx?FeedID=1806

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, Grinder said:

Another upwind gear-buster nightmare or a genteel downwind pleasure cruise?

This will be my 20th.

What say you? 

Zonal flow rules. At least in the long range models...

Anyone know of someone chartering a plane with a seat on it for Tuesday morning? I just found out I need to get back down to Chicago earlier than I anticipated. 

On 6/21/2019 at 5:19 PM, Morgan Crewed said:

Not quite 4 degrees - actually 3.4 degrees Celsius as of 18:50 EDST.  Or 37.8 F at buoy 45001, the mid-Superior weather buoy.  Air temp is 41.2F / 5.1C

Back to CYC Mack - the weather buoy 45002, North Lake Michigan is now 43.3F or 6.3C 

Well, you won’t need to bring ice to chill the beer!

To all racers hitting the lake tonight, be it for Queens or Fake Michigan City,  please be safe out there.  There is a chance of storms.  PFD &  harness up and shorten sail early.  

JC

16 hours ago, 105racer said:

Anyone know of someone chartering a plane with a seat on it for Tuesday morning? I just found out I need to get back down to Chicago earlier than I anticipated. 

Wishful thinking, I've finished on Tuesday afternoon on a much faster boat and won.  Rookies!

3 J-105’s finished the solo Mac this past weekend in under 50 hours. The return trip saw next to no wind from Gray’s Reef south. If it’s like in two weeks then we won’t get to Irving Park by midnight.

• Like 1

solo mac was stupidly cold last weekend.  Froze my ass off.

Water is still so cold made for some holes near shore and some interesting breezes getting out of said holes.  was sailing next to another boat ^^^^ on totally opposite tacks, same direction at one point maybe 500 feet away from each other.  tall, steep waves right at the island.  

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, TJSoCal said:

Plenty of us in landlocked locales with years of offshore experience on big boats.  One of my regular crew has sailed a dozen Macs, most recently last year taking 3rd in their class.  Another crew regular has done 2 Macs.  I've done PacCup, Swiftsure and 6 years worth of Mexican races.

@shaggy let's put together an inland lake team.  I'm down.

3 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Plenty of us in landlocked locales with years of offshore experience on big boats.  One of my regular crew has sailed a dozen Macs, most recently last year taking 3rd in their class.  Another crew regular has done 2 Macs.  I've done PacCup, Swiftsure and 6 years worth of Mexican races.

That is exactly why i asked what I asked...  I am not even gonna try to put all the experience we have in our fleet, let alone the J22/j24/j80/Biggger PHRF boats/smaller PHRF boats/...  Well you get the point(hell, we have a shock 40 that comes out to play):P.  Lots of us travel cause there aint much bigger than a puddle out here...  :)

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, DryArmour said:

Looks potentially damp at the moment.

Pretty easy calling for wet conditions. It’s only been raining for 3 months non-stop.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gangbusters said:

Pretty easy calling for wet conditions. It’s only been raining for 3 months non-stop.

Hey, be fair.  It hasn’t rained most of today!  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

New month.

Oops.  You’re correct.  Rain in the forecast for most of the week.

Bump.  5 days out.  Will it be an upwind arse whopping again?

47 minutes ago, dcbsheb said:

Bump.  5 days out.  Will it be an upwind arse whopping again?

We were out Saturday, wind out of the North, rail buried underwater going upwind much like last year.  Said, "Glad the Mac isn't starting today!"  Just one week out.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:52 PM, dickie greenleaf said:

This will be my 16th straight Mac for me - J111 class this year.

Yup.

DG

Saw you guys out practicing yesterday....

Hroth

16th race for me.  12th as skipper/owner.  Hoping for a nice ride.  Its been HOT.

Hroth

we're in Section 2 this year, that will be interesting and much more fun I'm thinking. Nice to have some boats to race against unlike the 70's that are gone in an hour.  Now what's the weather going to do-

12 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

SailFlow shows a Slow Boat to China race. At least you will get to watch the fireworks off Milwaukee!

Username seems apropos for this year's race.

8 minutes ago, olshitsky said:

Username seems apropos for this year's race. 

:lol: I'll be watching the start but won't be participating, but yes, Stay Out of The Middle (of the lake!) per SailFlow.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, Swimsailor said:

Sounds like Vince!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geff said:

Sounds like Vince!

We're supposed to be semi-anonymous around here, right? lol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

We're supposed to be semi-anonymous around here, right? lol

Right on!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, Grinder said:

12 for me still haven't learned to do it in a big boat.  See you Tuesday if we're there

3 hours ago, hmsmweasel said:

we're in Section 2 this year, that will be interesting and much more fun I'm thinking. Nice to have some boats to race against unlike the 70's that are gone in an hour.  Now what's the weather going to do-

Which boat?

Lots of Anarchists in Section 2. I'm on Relentless out of Traverse City.

NOAA Climate Prediction Center says warm and wet.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

you guys thinking the Michigan shore is the way to go?   get across the middle after the start and play the shore?

I currently don’t see ‘slow’ until Sunday eve.  Per SailFlow. 

1 minute ago, Grinder said:

I thought you were better than a four day forecast.

4 minutes ago, hmsmweasel said:

you guys thinking the Michigan shore is the way to go?   get across the middle after the start and play the shore?

I've had a hard time finding an accurate forecast for the day of, let alone a week out.

27 minutes ago, Grinder said:

At this point there is a forecast for everyone's taste, just flip through the models until you get to one you like!

12 hours ago, hrothgar said:

16th race for me.  12th as skipper/owner.  Hoping for a nice ride.  Its been HOT.

Hroth

Congratulations my friend!  Yup... the boat was out practicing yesterday, but I had a hall pass - My wife and I were sailing the 36.7 for the weekend.  I practiced last weekend with the team, and now the boat is in the slings getting the bottom cleaned up.  Good luck Hroth!

DG

• Like 1

Go Fast Tango. NA 40.

5 hours ago, Blizzard said:

I've had a hard time finding an accurate forecast for the day of, let alone a week out.

If the forecast is shit a week out, then it's accurate.  But if it's promising or even pleasant, then it's wrong.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the deal for spectating at the start? Couldn't find anything on the mac site.  Surprisingly enough, I never paid attention to what the spectators were doing when I was racing. Now I wish I knew if it is worth the effort to take out a bunch of family or if I'll hate my life. 

@fimbs 

Are you thinking from Navy Pier, or out on the water? Not sure if they talk about the start from the pier, or if it's just the parade of boats.

@cbags on the water.  have family planning on going down to navy pier and thinking of offering to take them out where they can see something (but not sure if we'd be able to see anything)

18 hours ago, Grinder said:

I know SOTM likes to look at the ‘hater’ models. 

:)

Haha. I'm be enjoying some arm chair sailing via Yellow Brink beginning on Saturday through next Thursday. :lol:

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, Shorthanded said:

aaahhhh. I'm returning the C&C from the Island on the 23rd. I'll look for him on the way. If he is back to work by then. This year is the year of the fly. If you don't have and electric tennis racket you will be sorry.

5 hours ago, fimbs said:

@cbags on the water.  have family planning on going down to navy pier and thinking of offering to take them out where they can see something (but not sure if we'd be able to see anything)

As long as you stay out of the designated box they won't chase you away.   Always lots of boats on the east side of the box hanging out. 

18 hours ago, olshitsky said:

If the forecast is shit a week out, then it's accurate.  But if it's promising or even pleasant, then it's wrong.

So it's going to be shit. I was afraid of that.

I'm seeing anything from a pleasant spinnaker ride to a beat through thunderstorms. 

Should we start placing bets on which rating the powers will choose?

14 hours ago, Grinder said:

I think sailflow is fucking with me 

It's not looking great JimBo. Good news is you will still be out there on Tuesday evening then the screaming breeze comes in from the south. :lol:

IF I am out there Tuesday evening I’m hanging it up.   You have my word    

4 minutes ago, hmsmweasel said:

me too- Wisconsin or Michigan side??

Both simultaneously 

The Solo Macs are some of my best Mac memories!