bigrpowr

Trans-Atlantic Race

46 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Based on what? The tracker is shit...it seems to be in some form of retro mode. Manual upload position updates? 

Going by the Tracker, DTF comparison of both boats. Working for me? ATM: SW 40.7 miles to go and Wizard 83 last taken 11.35UTC

29 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Going by the Tracker...

Terra from now on only believe AIS...though the SI's don't make AIS TX mandatory I believe :-)

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Terra from now on only believe AIS...though the SI's don't make AIS TX mandatory I believe :-)

I've noticed with the tracker on my mobile I had to hit refresh to get current info whereas on my PC it's working properly.  I have SW 34 miles to go doing 9.9 vs Wizard 80 miles 

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If AIS uplink times coincide then result seems to be all over.

It looks like she's parked up.  Tracker agrees too....

image.png

Yep she's parked up. Let the fun begin. Aegir has headed North now. Teasing Machine the fastest boat in the fleet gaining on Aegir. Scally going. 4 knots not sure if the tide is hurting her now? 

The tide taking Scally home according to Miles so they are pointing the bow towards home. Only 27 miles to go and with the tide in their favour they should be finished in the next 3-4 hours some 42 miles ahead of Wizard . Teasing Machine still the fastest boat in the fleet

Witty going to have a look if the Varvassi is still there.

scally.jpg

Pos Name
Handicap
Start time
Last pos received
DTF
Dist sailed
VMG
24h DMG
(Est) Finish time
(Est) Elapsed time
Corrected elapsed  
1 SHK Scallywag
HK

25 Jun 15:30
05 Jul 19:20
Finished
4435 NM
- 
214 NM
05 Jul 17:43
10d 2h 13m 19s
10d 2h 13m 19s  
2 Wizard
US

25 Jun 15:30
06 Jul 00:50
0 NM
3438 NM
12.5 knots
171 NM
06 Jul 00:50
10d 9h 20m 58s
10d 9h 20m 58s

7hrs in it - Scally seemed to get their act together at the end, but should never have got themselves into the position they were in off the West Coast of Ireland.

Wizard sailed a wonderful race.  Hats off to them.

As Jack pointed out earlier, that Distance sailed just doesn't look right.

Think about Charisma, they are doing 4.3kts with 1,537Nm to go.  They are certainly getting their moneys worth!

Teasing Machine (DTF 375Nm) has pulled out a huge lead over The Kid (DTF 508Nm) over the last couple of days - well played.

Charisma is now down to 2.7kts - with 1351Nm to go, I hope they have enough food.

18 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Teasing Machine (DTF 375Nm) has pulled out a huge lead over The Kid (DTF 508Nm) over the last couple of days - well played.

Charisma is now down to 2.7kts - with 1351Nm to go, I hope they have enough food.

Tracker is showing The Kid as retired when I checked this morning. Anyone have any details? Looked to be heading to Ireland.

^ Starting to eat the furniture maybe? ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murphness said:

Tracker is showing The Kid as retired when I checked this morning. Anyone have any details? Looked to be heading to Ireland.

Could well have seen the forecast and run out of food notwithstanding how far they were behind? Being stuck out in the ocean doing 1 knot some of the crew may have had commitments also? 

55 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Could well have seen the forecast and run out of food notwithstanding how far they were behind? Being stuck out in the ocean doing 1 knot some of the crew may have had commitments also? 

Found a scuttlebutt article where JPD stated with regret multiple crew had impending commitments that couldn't wait.

Just read yesterday's report. Have to say that I am not sad to miss this edition of the race. Good luck to the rest of the competitors in getting through this high. Has to be demoralizing being so close after such a long journey and know what should take a day or two will take 3-4. Hopefully they've got enough food and water. Plymouth will be a nice stopover for a few cases of beer and a reprovision if not. 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:51 PM, Murphness said:

Just read yesterday's report. Have to say that I am not sad to miss this edition of the race. Good luck to the rest of the competitors in getting through this high. Has to be demoralizing being so close after such a long journey and know what should take a day or two will take 3-4. Hopefully they've got enough food and water. Plymouth will be a nice stopover for a few cases of beer and a reprovision if not. 

Poor bastards the smaller boats are going nowhere in a hurry. True who went back for repairs and re-joined the race a long time after (Days?) has caught up 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Poor bastards the smaller boats are going nowhere in a hurry. True who went back for repairs and re-joined the race a long time after (Days?) has caught up 

By "smaller boats", do you mean IRC2?

Hiro Maru and Carina are small enough to have never really hit the wall of light air.  They're bringing the breeze in with them and will likely correct out to 2 and 3 overall (behind Wizard).  Should be a close race between them for first in IRC3 (and second overall).  Carina had a nice advantage, but got into that wall a bit yesterday, whereas Hiro Maru has been in breeze the whole time.

But yeah...  IRC2 hasn't had much fun the last few days.

I wonder why TRUE is in IRC3 with 1.143 and Lady Georgina is in IRC2 with 1.137.  They're both in a tricky range for ratings...  a bit fast for IRC3 and a bit slow for IRC2 (Pata Naga also).  But the race shaped up to favor the slowest-rated boat in each class, so this has resulted in Lady Georgina and Pata Naga racing for the win in IRC2 while TRUE is at the back of IRC3.  If TRUE was in the same class as LG and PN, they'd be closing the gap right now and very much in the running for second in class.

Unfortunate that the hardware will mostly be a function of who ran into the wall when, and how that aligns with their rating and class, than how well they sailed.  I suppose there's always some element of that in these races, but it seems much moreso this time than usual.

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

True turned around for repairs? I missed that and have a bunch of buddies on board...

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

True who went back for repairs and re-joined the race a long time after (Days?) has caught up 

Must have missed that.  Tripple Lindy, yes, but she never re-joined. Tried I believe but then something else went t*ts up.

4 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Must have missed that.  Tripple Lindy, yes, but she never re-joined. Tried I believe but then something else went t*ts up.

My mistake yes your right. 

Looks like Hiro Maru is in with the IRC3 win and second overall (to Wizard).  Carina second in IRC3 and third overall.

Hi Pirates....anyone doing the VR Transpac?

We have really enjoyed watching several of the 52' and 3 of the big tri's getting ready in the boat yard in San Diego. Last weekend saw them drop ARGO into the water with a crane and put up the mast.  Very impressive!!  Waiting for the big tri's and the other big boats to start on Saturday!

Edited by Golden Rose
added comment