Sign in to follow this  
JimBowie

Bucket-list Point-2-Point races

OK.  I admit it.  After 35 years of beer-cans and 1D racing, I'm bored stiff with the thought of yet-another-week-long-regatta of 1.0nm beats and runs.  I'd like to wrap up my un-illustrious career with something different.  The Delta Ditch is one distance race I'm doing in 2020.  I know there's bunch more cool local ones, many with a long history, I'd like to try.  Preferably doable in one day two-up on a Melges 24 or similar planing trailer-sailer.  No more than 100 miles.  So.  Help me build the bucket list.  Anywhere in lower 48 is game.  I'll start:

1. Delta Ditch

2. Harvest Moon (Galveston - Port Aransas)

3. The Hook

4. ??? 

Under 100nm:

Santa Barbara - King Harbor would likely be a good time on a Melges 24.

Double Damned is on my list.

2nd on the Double Damned.

Warm weather, good wind, beautiful scenery.

What's not to like?

2011_poster_final.jpg

The Hook, the Lake Michigan version, is just under 190 miles.

For SF Bay, Farallones is great, and the two coastal ones to Half Moon Bay and Monterey too.  Only problem with the last two is bringing the boat back up. But that's why they invented teenagers.

• Like 1

Mug Race, Palatka, FL to Jacksonville (or more accurately Orange Park), FL.  Run on a river (St John) in early May, about 38 miles, very appropriate for a 2 up Melges and nicely run by Rudder Club when I did it ages ago.

Perhaps Miami to Key Largo, but have never done it personally, sounds like fun though, perhaps some local's can chime in on that one.

TP is a little longer than the OP asked, or did I miss the purple font.

I've enjoyed the Race to the Straits in early May here in Seattle.   Race ~35 miles to Pt Townsend on Saturday (cool Victorian town of R2AK fame) then back to Seattle on Sunday

Also the Swiftsure out of Victoria is a classic with 3 or 4 course distances to choose from.

If you are looking at the bay area:

Three Bridge Fiasco

Midnight Moonlight (Raccoon straights to Vallejo bridge and return. Starts at around 6pm. 

Spinnaker Cup

Jazz Cup

Windjammers

Forgot to add- if you like the Ditch Run - try the Stockton South Tower race for the full hate mission. Stockton to the Golden Gate Bridge and return to Stockton. It used to get a decent turnout, though ?I think its far less popular now.  

On 6/22/2019 at 10:42 PM, @last said:

Perhaps Miami to Key Largo, but have never done it personally, sounds like fun though, perhaps some local's can chime in on that one.

One of the best quirky races ever.

HMR is 140 nm but typically under 24 hours.  I would expand to include either Marion or Newport-Bermuda.  Anything to Havana is on my list when it comes back.

3 hours ago, 12345 said:

you put the Hook over the Chicago Mac?  

From the OP: “ No more than 100 miles.”

Most relaxed race I've ever done:

Annual Schooner Wharf Bar Wrecker’s Cup Race Series
January 27th

No protests, no pageantry, just race with us - the course is 7 miles from Key West Harbor to Sand Key, re-enacting the ancient wrecking tradition of Key West…a series of ruthless one way races to the reef to claim the booty.

This all-in-fun race series recalls the tradition of the wreckers in the Key West of the 1800’s. Vessels laden with rich cargoes from Gulf and Caribbean ports often became victims of storm and the unmarked reefs off Key West.

The first wrecker to reach the site had the responsibility to save the passengers and crew---but they also won the right to salvage the cargoes. Some historians have written that it was not unusual for 20 or 30 boats to race to a wreck.

wreckers3-4832.jpg.f27b653d92527da6ae7a4ece67acbced.jpg

Round the  county

Around Hong Kong island

Southern straights 

Salt spring island 

Pt. Robert's

Shaw island winter classic 

Around Lummi

On 6/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, eric1207 said:

I've enjoyed the Race to the Straits in early May here in Seattle.   Race ~35 miles to Pt Townsend on Saturday (cool Victorian town of R2AK fame) then back to Seattle on Sunday

Also the Swiftsure out of Victoria is a classic with 3 or 4 course distances to choose from.

If done right, the TP is just 21, 100milers

• Like 1

So you have a desire to sit on the low side of the boat and swat flies for more than one afternoon at a time? You can do it for even longer with point to point races. 

On 6/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, eric1207 said:

Maybe if you prefer parties to getting a DNF, from either too much wind or no wind and drifting backward, or both.

• Like 1