Sign in to follow this  
zenyatta

Repairing holes from obsolete hardware

Hi all, 

I bought a new boat (wilderness 21) and removed some unnecessary winches from the cockpit. Basically I drilled the holes out slightly, duck taped the underside, and filled with thickened west system epoxy.  I planning to slap some stuff from a west marine gelcoat repair kit on there but upon consulting the instruction manual it isn't meant to be used with epoxy.

Anyway, wondering what kind of paint I can slap on this to protect the epoxy, cosmetics are not important, and the deck isn't cored in this spot. Just want something to cover up the epoxy. 

Probably a dumb question but I've got not idea what I'm doing here, open to any and all suggestions.

Chris

Interlux Pre-Kote primer then Brightsides to match color. I would chamfer the holes a little to blend the epoxy to the hull...but not entirely necessary...might crack a little without. Try to borrow he paint...expensive and you don't need much.

El Boracho has it. When I fill fastener holes I countersink them top & bottom so the plug of epoxy gets a dovetail effect.

Never had one fail.

Go to an auto paint supplier and get a 1 part match enamel spray can of your current gel coat color.  Spray into cap, then using a small soft artists brush touch up the repair[it will take 4 or more applications to achieve the desired match].  Feather out final coats beyond repair.  It  should cost about $25., and if done carefully will be invisible for about 8 years.  Good luck.

Gelcoat will bond over epoxy, just make sure you wash any blush off before you sand the epoxy to 'key' it, so if you've already bought it then I'd use that. 

If it doesn't work then you can always paint it later on, but I've had no issues with gelcoat sticking to epoxy that's suitably prepped. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, pointbreak805 said:

Hi all, 

I bought a new boat (wilderness 21) and removed some unnecessary winches from the cockpit. Basically I drilled the holes out slightly, duck taped the underside, and filled with thickened west system epoxy.  I planning to slap some stuff from a west marine gelcoat repair kit on there but upon consulting the instruction manual it isn't meant to be used with epoxy.

Anyway, wondering what kind of paint I can slap on this to protect the epoxy, cosmetics are not important, and the deck isn't cored in this spot. Just want something to cover up the epoxy. 

Probably a dumb question but I've got not idea what I'm doing here, open to any and all suggestions.

Chris

When I removed hardware, I drilled out the hole to remove sealant ( a little bevel too) and taped the bottom. Cut dowel and used epoxy so it would also seep into the balsa core deck. Then just a bit of thickened epoxy to fair it out.

What Midday Gun said.

Light abrasion of the epoxy and polyester/qcells/cabosil bog or just car-bog, which is just polyester bog with accelerator added, soft to sand, very fast, use in small quantities.

If there's no need for bog (if the remaining cavity is shallow)a spot of flowcoat to match your existing gelcoat.

A repair kit is probably flowcoat, rather than gelcoat, so it will sand okay.

Gelcoat cures with a tacky finish so it needs wax-in-styrene added for this application.  That's what flowcoat is.

Probably too much information but it's raining outside, what else am I going to do?

Cheers

“Car bog” is often filled with clay. Not good in a wet environment. On a car moisture cannot get to the back side. So I hear. Maybe that was years ago.

15 hours ago, El Boracho said:

“Car bog” is often filled with clay. Not good in a wet environment. On a car moisture cannot get to the back side. So I hear. Maybe that was years ago.

He’s correct. The problem is not the polyester resin. The classic”Bondo” autobody fillers use talc as the thickening agent. 3m and other pro companies do make autobody fillers that are polyester/glass microspheres. Just like the expensive marine stuff.

We usually just take a larger diameter split point 135degree drill bit to chamfer the top of the epoxy filled hole. Then overfill it with polyester gelcoat.

If you overfill the holes you can take them back to a perfect flush finish with a tungsten scraper. I'd taper the top of the hole as previously suggested, overfill and scrape the excess after the epoxy has cured.  Also works if you have runs in epoxy. First inclination is to sand but  sanding wears away the surface around the area as well.  I'd be interested to find out if the scraper method works on the gel coat. Runs in paint can be solved by careful scraping with a razor blade to get a perfect finish. 

• Like 1

I had to fill a lot of small holes (#8-1/4" bolts) left behind by my boat's P.O. I found that if I used a common hole punch (like used for notebook paper) to make a 1/4" hole in a piece of masking tape then place the tape  over the hole to be filled effectively masking off the surrounding area, it made final finishing a lot easier. The tape keeps the filler from sticking to areas outside of the hole. Once the filler cures I use an offset pneumatic grinder with 2" disc to carefully sand the material down until I almost break through the tape then remove what is left of the tape for final finishing. For applying the filler I use small flexible palette knives used by artists, available at most art supply and craft stores. They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes, clean up easily and are cheap. They are excellent for mixing and applying fillets as well, been using them for decades.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, El Boracho said:

Interlux Pre-Kote primer then Brightsides to match color. I would chamfer the holes a little to blend the epoxy to the hull...but not entirely necessary...might crack a little without. Try to borrow he paint...expensive and you don't need much.

How do you borrow paint? Just asking for a friend:)

5 hours ago, Major Tom said:

How do you borrow paint? Just asking for a friend:)

Well...you say you have a friend, so you are halfway there. Find a cup and and spoon. Walk over to friend’s boat and make some suck-up comments about friend’s painting skilz. Take it from there.

Just fill with marine tex, great stuff, and the white matches my boat perfectly.