woahboy

My marina thrashed by high winds 6/23

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Runs-for-His-Life-as-Eagle-Mountain-Marina-Collapses-Around-Him-in-Storm-511761512.html

Eagle Mountain Marina North of Fort Worth Texas. They won't let anyone in to check the status of their boats. I hope the Gordon Wesley made it through.

Crap. I hope your boat made it ok.

Am I seeing that basically all of these covered boathouses have been squished together?

• Like 1

Yes sir

My boat is the dark hulled boat on the end. Glad that roof didn't fall on it. And have insurance if needed. 

Screenshot_20190625-083552.png

• Like 2

Looks like you might've gotten lucky.

• Like 1

No kidding. Wow.  He ain't going anywhere, anytime soon though.

• Like 1

Just now, Ajax said:

Nope. Kind stinks the docks weren't secured better. And why do motorboaters need cover over their boats?

4 minutes ago, IStream said:

Looks like you might've gotten lucky.

It does at that. As long as the metal roof didn't hit the port stay.

More photos.

Screenshot_20190625-083529.png

Screenshot_20190625-083529.png

Just now, woahboy said:
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Nope. Kind stinks the docks weren't secured better. And why do motorboaters need cover over their boats?

They don't have masts and rigging. They need roof rafters overhead so the birds can sit and crap on their boats

WB glad your boat wasn't damaged, looks pretty extreme!

FB- Doug

• Like 3

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

They don't have masts and rigging. They need roof rafters overhead so the birds can sit and crap on their boats

WB glad your boat wasn't damaged, looks pretty extreme!

FB- Doug

Hope they'll let us in this weekend.

You got any "before" pictures?

Just a bow shot in better days.

IMG_20190616_120121_optimized.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

image.png

Ooof.

Looks like if you've been just a few slips to the left or right, it would've been a very different story but you were definitely on the right side of that dock.

Your insurance might have a loss of use clause like mine, where you can rent something for a month up to a set amount.

That was some Texas sized wind.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm over at lake Ray Hubbard about 30 miles away - we didn't get that particular storm. Bad luck Woahboy, but hopefully boat is ok.

Maybe this will give Woahboy a laugh ;)

For others not used to North Texas Marinas., the full purpose of the stink boat roof system is:

- provide a nesting location for birds, spiders, water snakes, snapping turtles, more spiders, oh and more spiders.

- they do fumigate regularly over summer within the roof structures but that doesn't help us sailors much as we are on open slips and spiders love to play on our boats. My wife makes me walk ahead of her at night so I walk along the open dock through the webs, collect spiders. The big fat ones have bodies around 1/2 inch diameter.   On a typical night you would have about 10 or more fat ones just around the pulpit. The same at many locations I am sure, but these spiders love to crawl into the mainsail cover, into the folds of the sail, and reappear by falling into the cockipt in the first 1/2 hour of sailing.  I suggest a dedicated flip flop holder in the cockpit because using a winch handle to slam the fuckers can leave dents in the 'glass.

- provide much needed shade for nesting humans from the very hot sun, especially needed on humid windless days. Being stink boat and jet ski owners, this group of residents need individual shade so they can each crank their sound systems to outdo each other.  The roof helps to amplify the volume and send it across the Marina for all to enjoy.

- many covered docks also have a dedicated fish cleaning station, mainly to encourage more birds to nest, with the aim of getting the birds to eat the spiders. It doesn't seem to work well. A good proportion of stink boaters have an entertaining platform as part of their dock, or takes up another complete slip. These are usually fully kitted out with electric grill, fridge / freezer,  beverage storage, more sound systems, tables and chairs. 

- It seems about 1/2 the covered docks have a least 2 stink boaters who host cookouts on their dock every weekend, with about 5 or 6 carloads of guests - usually the same guests every time.

- The roof system is excellent for reducing the amount of plant growth coming up through the boards. Some of the plant material is purely aquatic, but a decent amount takes root in the usually breaking foam flotation supporting the docks. I am on an open slip so we have a significant weed issue (the wrong kind). This plant life happily supports chiggers and as I found 2 weeks ago fire ants (received 20 bites in 10 -20 seconds on left foot and toes - it now seems I am allergic to the little buggers!).

- Because this is about the roof system, I wont bore y'all with tales of the boat ramp, & jet skiers deciding to see how big a wake they can make while passing along and through the slips to the Marina entrance. Obviously they do care, because they don't open up to full throttle until  they are a millimeter past the Marina entrance. 

- no mosquitoes, just water insects which don't bite. Oh and  biting flies instead, although they only seem to congregate within 1/2 mile of the shore. Depends on the wind and time of year. Mostly little house fly size, but with a bite like a horsefly.

The joys of North Texas Marinas :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

To keep the air conditioning in! Hope your boat is safe. Srsly, the power of these inland lake winds is so easy to forget. Maybe they don't get hurricanes in DFW much, but 110mph is 110mph, even tho it only lasts a few minutes.

Oh, Mama, can this be the end. To be trapped in my marina, with those eagle mountain lake blues again. 

1171.jpeg

30 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

I'm over at lake Ray Hubbard about 30 miles away - we didn't get that particular storm. Bad luck Woahboy, but hopefully boat is ok.

For others not used to North Texas Marinas., the full purpose of the stink boat roof system is:

- provide a nesting location for birds, spiders, water snakes, snapping turtles, more spiders, oh and more spiders.

- they do fumigate regularly over summer within the roof structures but that doesn't help us sailors much as we are on open slips and spiders love to play on our boats. My wife makes me walk ahead of her at night so I walk along the open dock through the webs, collect spiders. The big fat ones have bodies around 1/2 inch diameter.   On a typical night you would have about 10 or more fat ones just around the pulpit. The same at many locations I am sure, but these spiders love to crawl into the mainsail cover, into the folds of the sail, and reappear by falling into the cockipt in the first 1/2 hour of sailing.  I suggest a dedicated flip flop holder in the cockpit because using a winch handle to slam the fuckers can leave dents in the 'glass.

- provide much needed shade for nesting humans from the very hot sun, especially needed on humid windless days. Being stink boat and jet ski owners, this group of residents need individual shade so they can each crank their sound systems to outdo each other.  The roof helps to amplify the volume and send it across the Marina for all to enjoy.

- many covered docks also have a dedicated fish cleaning station, mainly to encourage more birds to nest, with the aim of getting the birds to eat the spiders. It doesn't seem to work well. A good proportion of stink boaters have an entertaining platform as part of their dock, or takes up another complete slip. These are usually fully kitted out with electric grill, fridge / freezer,  beverage storage, more sound systems, tables and chairs. 

- It seems about 1/2 the covered docks have a least 2 stink boaters who host cookouts on their dock every weekend, with about 5 or 6 carloads of guests - usually the same guests every time.

- The roof system is excellent for reducing the amount of plant growth coming up through the boards. Some of the plant material is purely aquatic, but a decent amount takes root in the usually breaking foam flotation supporting the docks. I am on an open slip so we have a significant weed issue (the wrong kind). This plant life happily supports chiggers and as I found 2 weeks ago fire ants (received 20 bites in 10 -20 seconds on left foot and toes - it now seems I am allergic to the little buggers!).

- Because this is about the roof system, I wont bore y'all with tales of the boat ramp, & jet skiers deciding to see how big a wake they can make while passing along and through the slips to the Marina entrance. Obviously they do care, because they don't open up to full throttle until  they are a millimeter past the Marina entrance. 

- no mosquitoes, just water insects which don't bite. Oh and  biting flies instead, although they only seem to congregate within 1/2 mile of the shore. Depends on the wind and time of year. Mostly little house fly size, but with a bite like a horsefly.

You hit many nails right on the head with this. 

33 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

There is a thread in GA on this as well http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/209208-ouch-eagle-mtn-lake/

Hope FWBC fared better, lot of cool boats on that lake.

Very few covered docks there. They do have that one boathouse but I am sure it's built much better than what is at my marina. I've done a lot of sailing out of the FWBC. It is a nice club. 

41 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Don't forget, they provide enough sail area to rip the docks off their anchors in a stiff breeze...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IStream said:

Don't forget, they provide enough sail area to rip the docks off their anchors in a stiff breeze...

Yup. Also forgot to mention the roof support poles.

Apparently they making excellent hitching posts, so y'all don't have to bend down to use dock cleats.  Clearly stink boaters have far more imagination when it comes to hitchin' up. Then again most of the sailboats aren't set up with any spring lines either. 

1 minute ago, dfw_sailor said:

Yup. Also forgot to mention the roof support poles.

Apparently they making excellent hitching posts, so y'all don't have to bend down to use dock cleats.  Clearly stink boaters have far more imagination when it comes to hitchin' up. Then again most of the sailboats aren't set up with any spring lines either. 

Cleats? What Cleats? I asked them to install cleats for me. They did and the positioning was useless. I then drew them a picture of where I would like them. Then this happened. I should've asked for bullrails.

• Like 1

Just now, woahboy said:

Cleats? What Cleats? I asked them to install cleats for me. They did and the positioning was useless. I then drew them a picture of where I would like them. Then this happened. I should've asked for bullrails.

You're dead to me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, woahboy said:

You woulda come down to the marina to find these screwed to the docks:

il_794xN.1776954924_5ftf.jpg

Which, come to think of it, would make lassoing the cleat a fun, Texas-appropriate pastime.

• Like 7

lol. Sorta the same issue at my Marina. But there are enough empty slips to just go remove a few cleats (DIY). Can't complain too much with a 32' slip holding an Irwin 30 for $220 a month though.

• Like 1

How's she coming along?

That system was pretty intense all along its track. I heard it referred to as a DERECHO which is sort of like an inland hurricane.

Just now, woahboy said:

How's she coming along?

Well summer is pretty much here now, so not a lot of inclination to work on it weekends. We sail it instead ;) and making a list that will keep us going for a year lol.

Still happy with the deal. $1 for boat. Free 9.9 yachtwin + bracket, Upgraded primaries to Lewmar 42 st (free from other boat) making wife very happy, Maybe $30 worth of bits and pieces. $100 for genoa leech repair.

Had to fix electrical in general. Depth works. Other Corinthian instruments & stuff not working at the moment, but have to put multi meter on them to check. Don't really need them anyway. Nav lights all good except for steaming light / foredeck light combo being on a single wire, and positive common - maddening when adding led lit switches at the base of the mast. Who does +ve common grrrr. Tiller brackets broke - replaced with aluminum angle for strength. Near new compass (free from another boat). 

Removed fuel tank, all up about 300lbs lighter without the engine and tank. Rig needs better tuning, jib cars are offset by about 6"  when positioned to sail which is a bit weird.

Sails wonderfully.  Need to have prop removed - is non feather, very stiff to turn so it just slows us down. 3 soft spots on deck - not too bad. Top mostly prepped for paint before we got it, so will paint during fall.

Hit about 8kts on a broad reach last Saturday, in about 15 -18kts true so reasonable speed. Great low wind performance upwind.

Have to add a ship / shore power selector (have a 1600w inverter + about 400AH batteries on board). Wife wants A/C. I want a Bimini. We havent agreed which has priority yet lol.

Fun Times.

And yours?

• Like 1

Coming by along nicely. Dropping the mast to run new halyards, clean it up etc. Bought a new outboard mount that will make raising and lowering the motor easier. A/C on a boat is nice 

• Like 1

oh, and full cost disclosure......

$50 worth of beer for the friendly local diver to recover the 1st 42st winch which i kicked overboard when i tripped on the lifeline just before the first mounting bolt was going in.

$30 for a replacement lower bearing on the second 42st when I lifted the cover  to remove a small 'glass burr from the base after the bolts and butyl were loaded up. Bearing fell out, bounced about 3 times then into the water.

I am not proud of this  :wacko:

We now have a lowes bucket with a big hole for when winch servicing is needed. An innebriated guest threw our other important bucket overboard amidships at 6 kts and watched it go by, so we have to get another one - a different color than the holey lowes bucket is probably a good idea. Pumpout plumbing to be fixed during fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

Coming by along nicely. Dropping the mast to run new halyards, clean it up etc. Bought a new outboard mount that will make raising and lowering the motor easier. A/C on a boat is nice 

20190625_131533.thumb.jpg.7cd0919cfa78488d4a4d435a59a6deb6.jpg

The aluminum bracket was already on the rail, left it there in case it provides some sort of give if something drops on the motor.  This is much easier,  the main bracket is a long way down.  Reverse is a nuisance,  but a marina friend is making a special locking pin that easily disengages to enable motor to be lifted.

Fixed it for you. 

20190625_131533.thumb.jpg.7cd0919cfa78488d4a4d435a59a6deb6.jpg

Thanks. Took photo 10 mins ago and the forum doesn't want to play nice with my phone. 

Hate to rub it in, but we should be sailing. Pleasant breeze, about 91. Had to pick up tools I had left on the boat. 

I purchased this Garelick. I am wary of drilling holes in my boat but there is a good mechanic on Eagle Mtn. that I am going to use. 
Sailing would be nice but there's a bit of a jam up at my marina. Don't know when I'll get back out. The marina is going to live stream an update at 3 o'clock on facebook. It's Eagle mountain marina if you care to indulge in the carnage. 

71033 (1).jpg

WB, what a shame. Glad your boat looks to have come through unscathed.

Keep us posted.

B.C.

P.S. Climate change?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bull City said:

P.S. Climate change?

No way it's climate change. According to the news report at the top of the thread, this is the third weekend in a row they've had "wild weather".  This sort of stuff obviously happens all the time there. 

p.s: there aren't any mosquitoes because the spiders eat them?

@PaulK has that right. 3 Weekends ago a woman drowned after the boat she was on heeled over and she was thrown in the water. 

Years ago, 4th of July, a buddy of mine and me saw some weather come by in and took his C Skow out for a sail. We learned our lesson that day after it turned turtle on us. Guess we need some more rail meat.

15 minutes ago, Bull City said:

WB, what a shame. Glad your boat looks to have come through unscathed.

Keep us posted.

B.C.

P.S. Climate change?

Thanks Bull. It's quite the cluster out there. 

Texas Lake is an oxymoron. The entire state of Texas has one, count'em one, natural lake (bonus points if you can name it without Google).  All the others are reservoirs. First time I ever went sailing was on Canyon 'Lake' near San Antonio. Hooked from day one.

5 hours ago, PaulK said:

No way it's climate change. According to the news report at the top of the thread, this is the third weekend in a row they've had "wild weather".  This sort of stuff obviously happens all the time there. 

Really? So it is a Chinese hoax?

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Really? So it is a Chinese hoax?

It's been outsourced to Vietnam.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's been outsourced to Vietnam.

Maybe we can put a tariff on it anyway.;)

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Maybe we can put a tariff on it anyway.;)

Please make it a very high tariff. I’m getting tired of this. Hope the Sunday bad weather cycle breaks this weekend. If this happens again it’s going to be really bad.

Are they moving you to the other marina? 

Very strong wind last night about 8pm near ray Hubbard, ahead of south east storms that died before reaching the lake

5 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Are they moving you to the other marina? 

Very strong wind last night about 8pm near ray Hubbard, ahead of shortly storms that died before reaching the lake

They are going to move us. Just don’t know when.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:14 AM, dfw_sailor said:

-

We too have a serious spider problem.  Big fat ones that never eat all the bugs they catch and always leave plenty of black spider shit all over the decks, porches and ESPECIALLY our Santana 20.  We found that Bengal Ant and Roach Killer, kills em pretty good.  .  Spray it directly on the spiders on your boat.  Kills em very dead.  Will keep your boat reasonably clean for a week or more.  Then they come back.  It has some residual effect but won’t last forever.  

The spiders don’t like it one bit.  Sorta expensive though.  

We've been using the cheapest spray from Walmart,  twin pack. About every 2 weeks, and do 5 neighboring boats pulpits as well (with permission) .

We do the rest of our exposed stays etc. Still get the occasional spider blown in,  but the cheap stuff seems to work ok. I miss Australian surface spray though.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:10 PM, woahboy said:

I purchased this Garelick. I am wary of drilling holes in my boat but there is a good mechanic on Eagle Mtn. that I am going to use. 
Sailing would be nice but there's a bit of a jam up at my marina. Don't know when I'll get back out. The marina is going to live stream an update at 3 o'clock on facebook. It's Eagle mountain marina if you care to indulge in the carnage. 

71033 (1).jpg

That's the one I purchased as I needed the adjustment for the reverse transom.  Bomber construction, and works great with 15hp 2-stroke.  I used 1/4" G10 for my backing plates.

outboard.jpg

Hope the boat is ok mate, not nice to that

I think she’s okay. They won’t let us into the marina. Thanks for the kind words. Hey, the interior on Zora is looking great! Keep it up.

1 hour ago, mcsailor0303 said:

That's the one I purchased as I needed the adjustment for the reverse transom.  Bomber construction, and works great with 15hp 2-stroke.  I used 1/4" G10 for my backing plates.

outboard.jpg

Thanks for the good advice. I have a Tohatsu 6.5 4 stroke. I guess if it works good for you aughta work great on mine. Thanks again @mcsailor0303

15 hours ago, mcsailor0303 said:

outboard.jpg

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/garelick-4-stroke-auxiliary-motor-brackets

This is the model I purchased. 71090

Hooray, my boat is getting moved to another marina today. Fingers crossed all goes as planned. From Eagle Mountain marina to Harbour One marina. Harbour one looks to be better protected. 

marina_maps.PNG

Fingers crossed indeed. Here's hoping you don't find a scratch on it.

3 minutes ago, IStream said:

Fingers crossed indeed. Here's hoping you don't find a scratch on it.

Thank you, @IStream. I'll be sure to give a good going over this weekend. 

Seeing the level of destruction, I'd be very happy with just a scratch or two.  Good luck!

19 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Seeing the level of destruction, I'd be very happy with just a scratch or two.  Good luck!

@CruiserJimThank You

My boat got moved earlier in the week. No damage at all, thank goodness. The new marina is smaller and the docks are more level with the deck. The Boss likes that. Went back to the old marina to check on my dock box but it may be awhile before I get that back. Just happy to have our boat back and she's unscathed.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 9:44 AM, woahboy said:

My boat is the dark hulled boat on the end. Glad that roof didn't fall on it. And have insurance if needed. 

Screenshot_20190625-083552.png

Dude! Glad you’re boat made it out of the hellhole intact

Thanks Kevin. Me too. I'm going to drill a 5" hole in the cockpit seat backs to make winch removal easier. See any problems with doing that? It's solid fiberglass. See the attached photo. line_locks.jpg.d09f770bc1e4fa5722b3f4e668477a5d.jpg

If the winch has a large flathead screw inside the handle insert on top, unscrew it and pull up in the cylinder to remove it  and the screws holding the winch to the teak winch base will be accessible for removal of the winch. 

If there is a C clip on the top of the winch, remove that with a c clip remover tool and the cylinder will slide right up and you will have access to the screws.  There may be a YouTube video for it. 

Definitely no need  to cut into the ‘glasswork to remove the winches :)

@Sail4beerI got the drums and the bearings off. There are 4 screws at the base of the winch, then I assume into the winch pads. The screws just spin and don't seem to be loosening. I want to give them a good soak in mineral spirits. But I guess I could leave the bases attached and just soak the bearings, pawls, and springs. But I have seen boats like mine that had cutouts on the seat backs with shelves for storage. But, you know more than I do and I'll follow you're always good advice

Jeez - that's nasty. Texas winds can be freakin' ferocious.

We lost our Catalina 27 several years ago on Lake Travis in a freak September blow that wrecked several docks and totaled or sunk about 30 boats...

file_zps2bae2635.jpg.734fb0602c9b734351c8e97bdd6c34d5.jpg

I'm glad yours pulled through Woah.

39 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Thanks Kevin. Me too. I'm going to drill a 5" hole in the cockpit seat backs to make winch removal easier. See any problems with doing that? It's solid fiberglass. See the attached photo. 

A 5” hole?   Fewer holes in a boat, the better.  There are nuts on the bolts under the deck.  Can’t you get to them thru the cockpit locker?  It may not be easy, but it’s not likely you’d ever have to do it again. 

@Cruisin Loser Yes, you and @Sail4beer are right. I can access them through the cockpit lockers. Just not as lithe as I used to be. I'll do it the right way. Thank you for talking me out of holes. 

Cheers

Jim

31 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Jeez - that's nasty. Texas winds can be freakin' ferocious.

We lost our Catalina 27 several years ago on Lake Travis in a freak September blow that wrecked several docks and totaled or sunk about 30 boats...

file_zps2bae2635.jpg.734fb0602c9b734351c8e97bdd6c34d5.jpg

I'm glad yours pulled through Woah.

Holy Crap.. That's a bad scene. Were many Bimini's lost in that blow? Sorry, I couldn't resist. You on the coast now?

All biminis survived. But all the fronts fell off as you can see. It was incredible! Heh.

Yeah, I bought a Hunter 40 in Kemah after that. Sailed her for several years with my boys - taking her all the way down to Ft. Myers where I sold her. I'll be looking for a cat in the Med as my next boat. Still a few years away.

In the mean time - it's all about our current flagship - FIASCO!

Fiasco_02.png

18 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

All biminis survived. But all the fronts fell off as you can see. It was incredible! Heh.

Yeah, I bought a Hunter 40 in Kemah after that. Sailed her for several years with my boys - taking her all the way down to Ft. Myers where I sold her. I'll be looking for a cat in the Med as my next boat. Still a few years away.

In the mean time - it's all about our current flagship - FIASCO!

Fiasco_02.png

Just remember to stay in the environment and you and the boys should be okay.seafarer1.thumb.JPG.620eae966d7d9038bbf9feabd5c885ab.JPG

My current project and flagship. I'm at the age I like cruising. I have removed the obnoxious blob on the foredeck.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:35 PM, Diarmuid said:

You woulda come down to the marina to find these screwed to the docks:

il_794xN.1776954924_5ftf.jpg

Which, come to think of it, would make lassoing the cleat a fun, Texas-appropriate pastime.

Texan sailor - They have bull rails in Canada?   Hold my beer....

All dock lines are now replaced by lariats and mooring cleats by saddle horns.   

- Stumbling

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Texan sailor - They have bull rails in Canada?   Hold my beer....

All dock lines are now replaced by lariats and mooring cleats by saddle horns.   

- Stumbling

Texan on jetski, approaching dock with friends: "I ever tell ya I did rodeo in high school? Varsity steer wrassler. Hold my beer and watch this...."

(Notice the guy inside the chute, giving each steer a shove in the ass so it can run out & be savagely tackled by some guy falling off his horse. In business school, this is known as 'middle management'.)

• Like 3

Well took the advice of not not cutting holes in the seat backs to access the winches. Climed down into the lockers and got the nuts off. I didn't think I was still this limbre. Not too bad for 61. Let the cleaning begin.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, woahboy said:

I didn't think I was still this limbre.

Namaste, dude. You're still young.:P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Texan on jetski, approaching dock with friends: "I ever tell ya I did rodeo in high school? Varsity steer wrassler. Hold my beer and watch this...."

(Notice the guy inside the chute, giving each steer a shove in the ass so it can run out & be savagely tackled by some guy falling off his horse. In business school, this is known as 'middle management'.)

Is the guy doing the shoving middle management or is it the steer?

"Ya'll, business school is taught here in Texas a little differently from the Ivy Leagues..."

- Stumbling

• Like 1

22 hours ago, woahboy said:

Holy Crap.. That's a bad scene. Were many Bimini's lost in that blow? Sorry, I couldn't resist. You on the coast now?

You need to ask him about spring lines. ;)

• Like 1

@PanoramixSpeaking of spring lines. The new skip I am in is for a shorter boat. I noticed today that the wire at the bottom of my sprit was hitting the front of the dock. Spring line worked great. From the bow cleat to the rear cleat on my dock.

Yes, I wouldn't dock a boat without unless there is a lot of space to cleat the bow/stern line far away. In case of high winds, it reduces the strain in the lines greatly.

Advice please. Are these winch pads salvagable?

received_1106016299592886.thumb.jpeg.c2402b58afebcc51b1561283b2976b1b.jpegreceived_412031816060857.thumb.jpeg.70b250c61149fb16ce139f8d54a9ecb4.jpeg

Those cracks look pretty serious, judging from the bottom pic. Maybe you could save them, but not without a lot of work.

You can buy them off the shelf at Worst Marine and elsewhere for about $30 a pop, finish them easily on the bench, and go sailing a lot faster.

• Like 1