Sign in to follow this  
BobbyZ

Need to Replace the outboard on a J/29

Should I go with an 8hp gas or the 5hp propane from Tohatsu. The motor stays on the bracket all summer.  The boat is on a mooring so I use the motor very little. 

If you don’t use it much, get a used old two stroke motor, have it thoroughly tuned and serviced, use the outrageously priced canned well preserved fuel. Run the carb dry before storing it. 

My thirty year  old Nissan starts every time on about the third to fifth pull... it takes a few pulls  to get gas back in.

^^^ this. We have an old 2.5 hp two stroke for the Moore.  We never use it, but when we need it it works and it meets the rules. We run in bone dry. 

I had a 3.5 2 stroke for regattas and an 8hp for deliveries. Now I just go with the 6 hp Tohatsu long shaft. Its the lightest on the market for its rating(53 lbs) I bought the prop with less pitch designed for pushing a displacement hull. Makes a world of difference. The 3.5 was nice and easy popping it off the transom and stowing down below. 

Remember, we're talking a 6K, fat bottom J29 here. If you spend a decent amount of time getting out to your starting area, you need an outboard with a decent amount of power. 

• Like 1

Now I just go with the 6 hp Tohatsu long shaft. Its the lightest on the market for its rating(53 lbs)

Very off on your information: Tohatsu long shaft is 59 or 60lbs depending on model.....   the extra long shaft 61lbs.   If you want light go with the Suzuki 6HP Long.....   comes in at 54lbs.  This will be my next purchase,  just sold the Tohatsu 6HP ELS.