Sign in to follow this  
Willin'

Why shit never gets done!

A long while back we were enjoying a nice alfresco breaky in a waterfront cafe when along comes my brother and his mate Mikey in a highly agitated state of frustration. They sit down for a coffee and explain a new phenomenon to me that I'd never heard of before... the sequential vortex, or why shit never gets done.

Today I experienced that phenomenon first hand. The simple goal at 9:00AM, get out and mow the lawn before the predicted rain begins at 3 PM. Six hours to do a 2 hour max job, even by a union member should be completely doable.

But! Before mowing I have to clear away the stuff under the porch that has accumulated in the last week since launching my sailboat.  Most of it has to go back in the boat shed, which is in total disarray as I left it on launch day so, boat stands and various power tools moved to the back of the shed, tarps and misc. garbage cleaned up and disposed of, other tools relocated to the shop to be put away later and a space cleared and leveled for...

The  refrigerator/freezer, which is under the porch, that I got for free off of Marketplace last week and that I intend to use to refrigerate lobster bait in the summer and overwinter oysters in the off months. But the fridge, which has been tested and works well, is filthy. Not wipe down with a damp sponge filthy, total disassembly and pressure washing filthy. I know, it's a bait freezer, but since edible oysters will be involved I figure a good cleaning now is wise, especially if I decide to turn pro oyster grower and have to document the conditions of my product. So the removal and cleaning of all trays, drawers, tubs, door compartments etc is warranted. What looked like normal household accumulation of debris became a serious science project on closer exam, hence the pressure washer. Next came...

Moving the fridge to the boat shed, solo, as wifey is away camping this week. Not in itself a big deal but getting it level on the gravel floor of the boat shed becomes something of a chore. Then comes drying the various drawers etc and re assembly followed by...

Moving the skiff, which has been in my garage bay for the last 2 months because leaving it outside means getting a boat full of pollen, nasty stinging caterpillars and misc detritus that is harmful to a wooden boat when left unattended for any period, into the boatshed, whereupon I discover the tongue jack is rusted solid and needs to be freed by brute strength, sledge hammer and penetrating oil. Once the trailer is finally off the ball and safely ensconced in the shed, various horses, worktables and tools can be re set up in the shed leaving just enough room for my old pickup truck that I have kept for the sole reason that it's bed is long enough to haul the dinghy I use to get out to Drift in...

enhance

enhance

It's now 4:00 PM, the rain predicted for 3:00 PM is now falling in earnest and the lawn mower hasn't even been touched let alone fired up. 

And that, chilllun's, is what a sequential vortex is and why shit never gets done.

• Like 7

That vortex did get a lot done though...  I'd look at that as an accomplishment.

Next time perhaps you may consider maintaining that sledge hammer?  Handle all stained with heavens know what from the fridge, and the metal looks all rusted.   Oh the shame!  Don't want that task to get in the way of the next job.  ;-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windward said:

That vortex did get a lot done though...  I'd look at that as an accomplishment.

Next time perhaps you may consider maintaining that sledge hammer?  Handle all stained with heavens know what from the fridge, and the metal looks all rusted.   Oh the shame!  Don't want that task to get in the way of the next job.  ;-)

OMFG!:D

8 minutes ago, Windward said:

The truck needs a clean as well. :P

• Like 1

Maybe it was meant to be this way?  If you'd got to mowing just before the rain, there would have been lightning (don't ask why, just go with it) and you could have become the ground conductor.  And your typing would have suffered as a result.

As it was, you still accomplished much, and you are typing lucidly, entertainingly (for us) and error-free!  Put it on your gratitude list  ;-)

PS:  nice-looking skiff, and that wineglass-shaped (I'm guessing from seeing the transom) dinghy,  must be sweet to row. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Willin' said:

And that, chilllun's, is what a sequential vortex is and why shit never gets done.

I've lived it.........lamented it......and most importantly had it lamented "for me".........but never had a name for it. Sequential vortex is simple and descriptive.  Even better, it has an air of legitimacy to it that just may make the lack of progress seem more unavoidable and not really my fault. Most excellent. :P

• Like 1

Sequential vortex hopping in an array of artificial pinning centers

We use low-temperature magnetic force microscopy (MFM) to study the hopping motion of vortices in an array of artificial pinning centers (APCs). The array consists of nanoscale holes etched in a niobium thin film by Ar-ion sputtering through an anodic aluminum-oxide template. Variable-temperature magnetometry shows a transition temperature of 7.1 K and an enhancement of the magnetization up to the third matching field at 5 K. Using MFM with attractive and repulsive tip-vortex interaction, we measure the vortex-pinning strength and investigate the motion of individual vortices in the APC array. The depinning force for individual vortices at low field ranged from 0.7 to 1.2 pN. The motion of individual vortices was found to be reproducible and consistent with movement between adjacent holes in the film. The movements are repeatable but the sequence of hops depends on the scan direction. This asymmetry in the motion indicates nonuniform local pinning, a consequence of array disorder and hole-size variation.

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.80.165421

now try to do something :D

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

Sequential vortex hopping in an array of artificial pinning centers

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.80.165421

now try to do something :D

Awesome!!!! I wonder if  we can claim some kind of proprietary rights on that phrase? I heard it first in Auckland's Viaduct in 1999! Who knows when Mikey and Bri first postulated it?

You guys are overthinking this. We've been handed a impressive sounding reason for our gender's tendency to be distracted (sometimes intentionally) away from tasks we find.........uninspiring. For gods sake, embrace that gift and drive on.

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cane I juste saye "SV" ?                       :)

In your case that's probably best...............;)

• Like 2

You need one of these.

033.JPG

• Like 1

thanxs Sloop , bin lookin 4 1 of ém for a long time :)

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You need one of these.

033.JPG

I suppose next you're going to tell us to be a lert.  Because the world needs more lerts.

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image result for Sequential vortex

I can’t even attempt to get my head around that. 

Got this from my surrogate father about 1984, it's hung in all  my shop pegboards ever since. 

enhance

Despite it's presence, my shop usually looks like this...

enhance

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mad said:

I can’t even attempt to get my head around that. 

Sorry Mad, here are the Cliff's Notes

Image result for Sequential vortex

Round and round she goes!

Where it stops, nobody knows!

Place your bets: place your bets.

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D.
Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. 
This is how it manifests:

I decided to wash my car. As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the hall table. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trashcan under the table, and notice that the trashcan is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the trash first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find the bottle of coke that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered. I set the coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, we will be looking for the remote, but nobody will remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor.
So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm bottle of coke sitting on the counter, the flowers aren't watered, there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Got this from my surrogate father about 1984, it's hung in all  my shop pegboards ever since. 

enhance

enhance

Now park a car in the middle of tat and you've got my "shop".

How many times did your parents tell you to "clean your shit up"?

This is what happens when you don't listen to your parents!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

enhance

enhance

I have an almost identical bench except there is a vice where the grinder is.  I also have a folding Workmate in about the same vicinity.  Pretty sure I have the plastic rack of drivers, black and red handles, top centre on the wall.  Pretty sure there are a couple of gaps in mine too!

3 minutes ago, random said:

I have an almost identical bench except there is a vice where the grinder is.  I also have a folding Workmate in about the same vicinity.  Pretty sure I have the plastic rack of drivers, black and red handles, top centre on the wall.  Pretty sure there are a couple of gaps in mine too!

You and I obviously share a marked propensity for inefficient tool storage and organization. I expect future anthropologists will define these features as indicators of superior intellect and desirable traits for nubile young women seeking life partners. I know that's how I got where I am...

5 minutes ago, Willin' said:

You and I obviously share a marked propensity for inefficient tool storage and organization. I expect future anthropologists will define these features as indicators of superior intellect and desirable traits for nubile young women seeking life partners. I know that's how I got where I am...

You are so wise!

My Workmate is about 25 years old and looking very sad compared to yours.  That's probably because it got left out in the rain on one building project and the top has started to swell around the edges.  I can see that you could get away without a vice for most sawing jobs if you used that. 

But it was interesting to see a very similar bench and products on the other side of the planet.

20 minutes ago, random said:

You are so wise!

My Workmate is about 25 years old and looking very sad compared to yours.  That's probably because it got left out in the rain on one building project and the top has started to swell around the edges.  I can see that you could get away without a vice for most sawing jobs if you used that. 

But it was interesting to see a very similar bench and products on the other side of the planet.

I've found vices, like many things, are mutable and subject to change and relocation. Unfortunately my best vices are my worst ones and they seem to be permanent, but that's another story.  Here's the oppo side of my shop but, again, I'm just coming down off 3 months of intensive boat work. If I'd been like my Dad and always put everything away in it's proper place after every use the boat wouldn't have been ready to splash until November.

enhance

enhance

If Dad's looking down at this, I promise I'll clean up, service and organise  those tools soon... honest.

• Like 1

You inspired me.  Just took this one.

Black and red drivers seen behind the landing net handle.  Workmate RHS.  Chainsaw handle seen on floor to left of bike tail light,  A white bucket near workmate.

Shadow-board is above the second bench.

IMG_4166.thumb.jpg.91e4dc23178b7c8e927024b248a02c82.jpg

58 minutes ago, Willin' said:

enhance

That's more like it.

This is what the centre section of my shed used to look like, before I started building a boat.

I'm not showing the 'after' photo.....

FKT

P6180196.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm not showing the 'after' photo.....

Weak as piss ... you know you want to.

• Like 1

Can someone explain the phenomena whereby a women can make tape measures disappear??

I know I own at least 10. I see them in places I never put them and return them to the toolbelt, drawer, or shelf to which they belong.

However I only find them when I am not looking for them. When I actually need one, it has been deposited by Mrs. WL in the midst of her own sequential vortex I guess?

WL

23 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

I only find them when I am not looking for them.

That's because they are waiting for you to buy a new one.

As soon as you do they will reappear.

Once I couldn't find my 5" orbital sander. I searched for 3 days and finally gave up and bought a new one. Brought it home and was unpacking it when I looked up and found myself looking at my missing one.

I swear it was laughing at me.

37 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

When I actually need one, it has been deposited by Mrs. WL in the midst of her own sequential vortex I guess?

Ist a famouse quotte; "the missis gave, and the missis hath taken away; blessede be teh name of the misses."                             :)

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's because they are waiting for you to buy a new one.

As soon as you do they will reappear.

Once I couldn't find my 5" orbital sander. I searched for 3 days and finally gave up and bought a new one. Brought it home and was unpacking it when I looked up and found myself looking at my missing one.

I swear it was laughing at me.

I couldn't find my iPhone the other day. I thought it was probably in the car under one of the seats so I started searching for it..........using the flashlight function............on my iPhone...............in my hand..............sigh.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, White Lightnin' said:

Can someone explain the phenomena whereby a women can make tape measures disappear??

I know I own at least 10. I see them in places I never put them and return them to the toolbelt, drawer, or shelf to which they belong.

However I only find them when I am not looking for them. When I actually need one, it has been deposited by Mrs. WL in the midst of her own sequential vortex I guess?

WL

I've gone for the saturation approach to this problem. Just keep acquiring tape measures until she runs out of hiding places. Eventually, they'll be put in plain sight and you can grab one and put it back where you want it to be. 

Also, I've locked my shop. She has a key, of course, but it raises the activation energy just enough that she's more inclined to search elsewhere first.

20 minutes ago, IStream said:

Also, I've locked my shop. She has a key, of course, but it raises the activation energy just enough that she's more inclined to search elsewhere first.

The day I found Mrs PB opening a paint can with one of my Stanley 750 wood chisels was the day I decided there needed to be "our tools" and "my tools". Our tools are all on the peg board in the garage/shop. My tools are stored away under the workbench and various other places. Its a little hassle to get them out instead of have them readily available but......its worth it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Point Break said:

The day I found Mrs PB opening a paint can with one of my Stanley 750 wood chisels was the day I decided there needed to be "our tools" and "my tools". Our tools are all on the peg board in the garage/shop. My tools are stored away under the workbench and various other places. Its a little hassle to get them out instead of have them readily available but......its worth it.

Amen - when my younger son was 12, he wanted to build a tree fort.   He had my Dozuki ( japanese pull saw) cutting 2X4s, and had already bent half the teeth on the blade.   I got him a crosscut saw - and promptly moved all my nice sharp cutting tools where the kids/wife wouldn't see them.   He did something similar later that year when he grabbed my snap-on torque wrench to loosen the axle bolt on his motorcycle.  That probably would've been OK - but, he'd seen Dad use a 6' piece of fence pole on the end of a breaker bar, and was doing the same w/my torque wrench.   That's when he started getting his own tools, and got the "don't touch mine without asking first" lecture. 

• Like 2

We put it like this......

Reminds me of a boat I worked on in Brazil back in the day. There was a big, hairy, scary looking guy that walked around in wellys, gym shorts and a ratty t shirt, mumbling unintelligible things. It took me 2 weeks to figure out he was a Kiwi and that was English.

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

I couldn't find my iPhone the other day. I thought it was probably in the car under one of the seats so I started searching for it..........using the flashlight function............on my iPhone...............in my hand..............sigh.

Been there, done that, will do it again. 

One morning I was running late, looking for my wallet, ran around the house, ran out to the car, looked there, ran around the house some more, ran back out to the car...nope, no wallet.  Ran back in, stuck my head into the dining room, waved my hand as I asked my wife if she'd seen my wallet.  She pointed to my hand.

Later I got a call from my wife.  She asked if I'd seen my wallet lately.  "Why?", I naively asked.  Says she, "Because I just found it on the street where you dropped it getting into your car."

That's why shit doesn't get done in my house.  Me.

• Like 4

Yep done shit like that.  Now I have stopped asking my wife if she has seen what I am looking for because it does not pay.  I get 'that look', like not again!

I recently could not find my phone, as I was checking and rechecking everywhere it could possibly be, I was cursing my self and started to become convinced that I really was starting to lose my shit!

Finally after checking the car three times, but convinced that the last time I saw it was there, I sat and studied the possibilities.  I discovered it.  In front of the gear selector is what used to be called the ash tray.  It has a lid that if you just touch it, it slowly swings open.  Well the lid was exactly the same size as the iPhone and I had pushed the phone onto it, that was it's signal to open, hiding the phone behind the lid.

Always a relief, doubled by the confirmation that this was not just another careless placing, that time anyway.

8 hours ago, IStream said:

I built a new shop 1000 nm away from my other one. She *doesn't* have a key.

That fixed the 'How dare you say I moved your tools' issue - permanently.

Still have to hide the house maintenance tools when I'm in Sydney though......

FKT

18 hours ago, random said:

You inspired me.  Just took this one.

Black and red drivers seen behind the landing net handle.  Workmate RHS.  Chainsaw handle seen on floor to left of bike tail light,  A white bucket near workmate.

Shadow-board is above the second bench.

IMG_4166.thumb.jpg.91e4dc23178b7c8e927024b248a02c82.jpg

Love the draft markers on the shelves. Good to know when you're about to go under!

7 hours ago, Willin' said:

Love the draft markers on the shelves. Good to know when you're about to go under!

The local council mowing crew knocked this one over.  It looked lonely so I saved it.  Good aluminum box section that could come in handy one day.

8 hours ago, Willin' said:

Flood marker.... Occasionally we get some rain down under

If we get a strong wind from the west, storm, snake skin pieces rain down from on top of the walls.  If a possum moves in, it will just get comfortable before the big python comes back, eats the possum, has a big sleep then sheds a skin.

And so it goes.

why are you cutting the grass in the first place??

Got my wife to do ours.

Using the Honda push mower instead of the lawn tractor no less.

Neighbors always ask me how I pulled this off.

I just smile....

5 hours ago, random said:

The local council mowing crew knocked this one over.  It looked lonely so I saved it.  Good aluminum box section that could come in handy one day.

i have a 7 foot length of 2 inch square tube that once was a city traffic sign...i've had it for 20 years...ya just never know.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:47 AM, Willin' said:

I've found vices, like many things, are mutable and subject to change and relocation. Unfortunately my best vices are my worst ones and they seem to be permanent, but that's another story.  Here's the oppo side of my shop but, again, I'm just coming down off 3 months of intensive boat work. If I'd been like my Dad and always put everything away in it's proper place after every use the boat wouldn't have been ready to splash until November.

enhance

enhance

If Dad's looking down at this, I promise I'll clean up, service and organise  those tools soon... honest.

HEY! Is that my father's old 9" DeWalt radial arm saw?!

The rule at our house/my shop is called "The rule of 4 'F's"..... In order to do anything. You first have to FIND it, then FIX it, or say FUCK it! and FUND another one...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

HEY! Is that my father's old 9" DeWalt radial arm saw?!

Maybe your Grandfather's! It was already very old when I bought it in 1976. Damn good saw!

1 minute ago, Willin' said:

Maybe your Grandfather's! It was already very old when I bought it in 1976. Damn good saw!

Mine (my father's) was purchased new in 1958... It was my sister's first year birthday present from our grandfather. :D

I think Hugh man has it now....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

The rule at our house/my shop is called "The rule of 4 'F's"..... In order to do anything. You first have to FIND it, then FIX it, or say FUCK it! and FUND another one...

so happy to find a kindred soul :)

"I've been tidying up she says"... "where have you put XXXXX?" I ask, "I haven't touched it" she says????

There is a similar thread going on on one of the Model railway Forums I frequent, due to territorial disputes.. Which started because one Female who has the larger room for her hobbies now wants to move her books into the smaller room occupied by the model railways.

I've had a similar problem with stuff appearing down the model railway end of the shed, which I carry back and dump into the artists end of the shed...

As for tools... She has her own

glasses I couldn't find my glasses, having searched for them all over I gave up and got the reserve pair out... Used them for a bit then pushed them up to the top of my head and....

• Like 1