Sign in to follow this  
Wya

A question to wakeboarders

Just wondering how anyone's first attempt at Kiteboarding went after years of wakeboarding...

I'll be in the Dominican in a few weeks and the resort we're staying at seems to have kiteboarding as an option, figured I would give it a go (never have tried before)... I've been wakeboarding for a looooong time now, how different is it and/or is there anything that will help trying kiteboarding easier?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Wya said:

Just wondering how anyone's first attempt at Kiteboarding went after years of wakeboarding...

I'll be in the Dominican in a few weeks and the resort we're staying at seems to have kiteboarding as an option, figured I would give it a go (never have tried before)... I've been wakeboarding for a looooong time now, how different is it and/or is there anything that will help trying kiteboarding easier?

Thanks!

If you are an experienced 2 string kite (not spinnaker) flyer, then you'll crush it, you need to be able to use the kite on instinct and not be focused up and looking at it (like getting your head stuck in the boat).

If you are not experienced with 2 string kite flying, then it'll suck because you'll be fine at riding and controlling the board (most people really struggle with that and the combination of the two make it so hard to learn for the layperson).

When I got into kite-boarding, I had already done some serious hours surfing, wakeboarding and snowboarding, so I went to a shop and bought a trainer kite (cheap as), spent some solid hours learning really how to control it, and then when I went for a lesson with full gear, it was an absolute laugh, got straight up first try, never needed any more help than that.

I have some wakeboarding experience, and a lot of snowboarding experience, and took up kiteboarding this year.  Including lessons I have only had a chance to ride 7 days so far and everybody tells me I am learning very fast - already at a low intermediate level.  I did have some 2-line kite experience, and of course I am a sailor.  I think the combination of these things really helps.

I agree with Darth.  Get a training kite and fly it a lot, and you will shoot right up the learning curve.  When flying the kite try to develop a sense of where the kite is and what it is doing based on the pull of the lines rather than by sight.  I can't do that well yet but can see that developing that sense will really improve my riding.  If you have riding experience then the board part of the equation is pretty easy.  Frankly the kite part is easy to learn as well.  What makes it all click is doing them both at the same time.  

I've got a bit of riding in the cruising videos from the Abacos and Exumas on my YouTube channel - 'The Meri Crew'.  

Best,  Doug

As a kiteboarding instructor for 20 years I can give the following help. Your board skills will be invaluable and enable fast progression. the thing you have to learn is flying the kite on the bar as every thing you do to the bar controls the kite. Pulling the bar increases the angle of attack and can stall the kites power. This is a habit that wakeboarder need to control as the kite behaves better if allowed to breathe and flow with whatever you need to be doing.  I don't see the value in training kites, as they typically don't have the chicken loop system, and you can yank on the bar all day without it affecting flying performance. Save your money and have a couple of lessons on a proper kite and learn how to control the proper gear safely and get out on the water and rip.