Sign in to follow this  
sailingk8

Ladies FIFA

I'm a fan of the keepers. USA's #1 is one fierce mama jammer! 

Being an Aus I'm a little ashamed of the nip tweek given at the end of game vs Netherlands but I guess our Matilda wanted to get evicted with florish!

It's been a great World Cup so far. The good news is that it's not as famous as the men's game, so I can record at home and stand some chance of not hearing the result before I watch it. Looking forward to Friday - USA/France. I'm planning to keep my PC and phone off all afternoon so I can go home and enjoy without spoilers.

Sorry for Japan - but they didn't quite have the juice vs the Dutch yesterday. England/Norway could go either way - likely depends on whether Kirby comes ready to play or not and how many mistakes the English chick with the over-done mascara makes in defense.

Dutch Japan match was a bit hard to watch. Personally thought both teams looked unprepared for that level of play. Hoping I can watch the game friday arvo. 

England Norway sounds like a good match.

1 hour ago, sailingk8 said:

Being an Aus I'm a little ashamed of the nip tweek given at the end of game vs Netherlands but I guess our Matilda wanted to get evicted with florish!

That Chilean keeper was damn good too

1 hour ago, sailingk8 said:

England Norway sounds like a good match.

Would've been better if it was Matildas v England but it was not to be :(

I was enjoying watching the games right up until the US team made it a political statement. Lost all interest, stopped watching the games. Not supporting who they are against. Just do not want politics involved  in my sports entertainment. 

Same reason I gave up on football a few years ago. I never watch games anymore. Not even on thanksgiving. I get enough politics in day to day life without having athletes providing their opinions during sporting events. Same reason I only enjoy old movies from before actors decided they needed to be political activists.

Great part about our country is these athletes and actors have the freedom to express their opinions due to everything our country stands for. And I have my right to ignore the shit out of them when they choose to push their personal agendas on the public.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

I like the women's FIFA better than the men's. The men are such fucking drama queens it's embarrassing.

• Like 4

Another troglodyte asshat, how original.

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

That Chilean keeper was damn good too

Missed that game. I'll check out the highlights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bait said:

I was enjoying watching the games right up until the US team made it a political statement. Lost all interest, stopped watching the games. Not supporting who they are against. Just do not want politics involved  in my sports entertainment. 

Same reason I gave up on football a few years ago. I never watch games anymore. Not even on thanksgiving. I get enough politics in day to day life without having athletes providing their opinions during sporting events. Same reason I only enjoy old movies from before actors decided they needed to be political activists.

Great part about our country is these athletes and actors have the freedom to express their opinions due to everything our country stands for. And I have my right to ignore the shit out of them when they choose to push their personal agendas on the public.

So, freedom of expression is what’s great, but just not to your liking if you disagree with what’s being expressed.  

You’d have been OK if they had all waved US flags though, right?  Because that’s not a political statement.  

Got it.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

So, freedom of expression is what’s great, but just not to your liking if you disagree with what’s being expressed.  

You’d have been OK if they had all waved US flags though, right?  Because that’s not a political statement.  

Got it.  

Bit of a comprehension failure. The point was they are able to make their statements just as bait has the right to not watch. 

Unlike many who feel that they need to shout down those they disagree with. Sort of like you just tried to do. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I like the women's FIFA better than the men's. The men are such fucking drama queens it's embarrassing.

Agree!

Before you know it, the men's soccer teams will all put pads and helmets on, too...

oh, wait. 

there's already a padded-pussy game!

• Like 3

Great tourney,  always watch it. 

Ive never appreciated teams that completely blow out other teams, over celebrating, in any sport.  Unprofessional. 

The blowout is perfectly professional... goals-scored is a tiebreaker in the tournament, which they are working to win.

The overcelebrating is just bad form at any level of any endeavor.

• Like 2

Did anyone catch the aforementioned 'nip tweaking'?

Maybe I was reading more into that than I should have.

Image result for 'nip tweaking'

22 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

The Matilda was ejected from the game when she reached over and grabbed her opponents boob.  I tried to find a highlight. ~80th minute of Dutch/Australia game.

Rapinoe needs to get in fights with Trump before every game.  She's crushing (and she gave a fat kiss to her assist maker after goal 2)

I think they should play topless. But hey that’s just me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

do you think the men should play bottomless?  'flopping' would mean something different.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, Gissie said:

Bit of a comprehension failure. The point was they are able to make their statements just as bait has the right to not watch. 

Unlike many who feel that they need to shout down those they disagree with. Sort of like you just tried to do. 

Of course, they are able to make their own statements and, due to their success, they get to chose when and where the find an audience for them.   However, you might re-read your own post to discover an actual bit of a comprehension failure.  Unless you are, in fact, the "bait" in this scenario.  

Shouting?  THIS IS SHOUTING.  My post was simply disagreeing.  Sorry if it hurt your ears.    

Got it?  

BTW, Go USA and Megan.  Perfect message to send to the orange-stained moron and his twitterati.  From one winner to one loser.

54 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think you just outed yourself as a twit.  But hey, that's just me.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

do you think the men should play bottomless?  'flopping' would mean something different.

That's just wrong :)

35 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I think you just outed yourself as a twit.  But hey, that's just me.

There, there little snowflake it was only a joke. If you can un-pucker your arsehole for a few minutes you could get some salve on that butthurt.

But that’s just you.

54 minutes ago, random said:

LB would enjoy bottomless men more than topless women.  That's a given.

giphy.gif

A homophobic slur and Gif. Sound post mate. 

Naked soccer..... (Football).... Has it's merits

I've done naked pingp ong, naked volleyball, and naked pool......

12 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There, there little snowflake it was only a joke. If you can un-pucker your arsehole for a few minutes you could get some salve on that butthurt.

But that’s just you.

I have some in stock, thanks.  Never know when that itch is going to strike.  But you do seem awfully sensitive yourself.  We could share.  

BTW, you did violate one of the unwritten rules here and quoted Random.  So that's on you.

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Really?  Most people are never quite as good looking naked as you hope they would be.  Particularly bouncing around and, especially, bending over.  

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Really?  Most people are never quite as good looking naked as you hope they would be.  Particularly bouncing around and, especially, bending over.  

I was young, and fit. So was she.... Them.... Hers.....

I bet there will be a lot of Nip Tweaking going on tonight.

Didn't see any such thing in that clip K8...

Congrats to the US gals for the big win today!

Good job! The US Women have won 4 of the 8 Women's World Cups. The men have never won. Now AT LEAST pay them on par!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Good job! The US Women have won 4 of the 8 Women's World Cups. The men have never won. Now AT LEAST pay them on par!!

Make them switch checks. The women deliver results. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Make them switch checks. The women deliver results. 

:lol:

The women play the game. The men play the....OH! He hit me in my knee! I need a minute to recover! Oh god! It hurts so bad! I feel like I'm going to die!..... OK? Times up? really? that fast?! (OK now I'll kick that bastard in the thigh and not get caught!)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Naked pool?

Where did the balls go?

19 hours ago, Point Break said:

The men's program should be embarrassed. Wait! When have men ever been embarrassed for making more money that women and producing fewer results?

The final game was pretty good and the NED goal, even though the loss was 2/0 was stellar. The US really are a powerhouse in this. 

57 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

The men's program should be embarrassed disbanded and started from scratch

It's not like they could be any worse than the current men's team

They should pay for play, give 75% of the men's paycheck to the women for,  winning.... its the American way... and motivational as well.

On 7/7/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mrleft8 said:

The women play the game. The men play the....OH! He hit me in my knee! I need a minute to recover! Oh god! It hurts so bad! I feel like I'm going to die!..... OK? Times up? really? that fast?! (OK now I'll kick that bastard in the thigh and not get caught!)

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

"Just a matter of hours after former Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher said his teammates used to fake injuries to slow down offenses, the NFL issued a reminder to teams that flopping will not be tolerated."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1763339-nfl-to-teams-no-flopping-or-the-league-will-punish-you

"Clay thinks the NFL could soon turn into the NBA or even European soccer, with quarterbacks literally flopping down in front of officials to try and draw the harsh 15-yard penalties to whistle-happy referees trying to spotlight the league’s shiny new rule."

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2018-09-25-get-ready-for-a-new-generation-of-flopping-in-the-nfl/

"Punters and kickers have been flopping since the days of yore. If someone comes near them, they fall."

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/09/26/nfl-flopping-big-ben-dak-prescott-nfl-flops-penalty-fine/

10 minutes ago, slap said:

"Just a matter of hours after former Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher said his teammates used to fake injuries to slow down offenses, the NFL issued a reminder to teams that flopping will not be tolerated."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1763339-nfl-to-teams-no-flopping-or-the-league-will-punish-you

"Clay thinks the NFL could soon turn into the NBA or even European soccer, with quarterbacks literally flopping down in front of officials to try and draw the harsh 15-yard penalties to whistle-happy referees trying to spotlight the league’s shiny new rule."

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2018-09-25-get-ready-for-a-new-generation-of-flopping-in-the-nfl/

"Punters and kickers have been flopping since the days of yore. If someone comes near them, they fall."

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/09/26/nfl-flopping-big-ben-dak-prescott-nfl-flops-penalty-fine/

Oh yes, faking injuries to buy time etc isn't new in any sport from football to baseball to tennis....punters have historically been the key drama queens in US football.....its just so..........blatant and transparent and frequent in soccer that it has become the stuff of meme's.

Its not a flopping contest.....but if it was....men's soccer would win. Hands down.

Just curious, how many flopping warnings has FIFA issued? Although I am aware that various governing bodies are starting to lean into the question, even issuing a ban or two...still............:lol:

On 7/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, Keith said:

They should pay for play, give 75% of the men's paycheck to the women for,  winning.... its the American way... and motivational as well.

Soccer is not a job - like lawyer, engineer, accountant or car mechanic. It's part of the global entertainment business. In entertainment, you get paid by people who are entertained by you - that is all you're worth. You don't get paid because you won, or paid because you scored, or paid because you run fast, look nice, or suffer adversity, discrimination or loss. You get paid because people want to watch you do your thing, and are willing to pay to watch.

Men's World Cup revenue - $4B

Women's world cup  - $131M

The women should be paid 3.275% of whatever the men got paid.

47 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Soccer is not a job - like lawyer, engineer, accountant or car mechanic. It's part of the global entertainment business. In entertainment, you get paid by people who are entertained by you - that is all you're worth. You don't get paid because you won, or paid because you scored, or paid because you run fast, look nice, or suffer adversity, discrimination or loss. You get paid because people want to watch you do your thing, and are willing to pay to watch.

Men's World Cup revenue - $4B

Women's world cup  - $131M

The women should be paid 3.275% of whatever the men got paid.

The issue is US M and W.  Not worldwide.  

• Like 1

Nice try,

But there's plenty of "entertainers" that get paid very well, regardless of the crowd they draw..

The USA women's team are the best in the world now, The USA men's team is ranked 30th...

I can see clearly where the pay check should go... sorry you cant or don't want to.

14 hours ago, Keith said:

Nice try,

But there's plenty of "entertainers" that get paid very well, regardless of the crowd they draw..

The USA women's team are the best in the world now, The USA men's team is ranked 30th...

I can see clearly where the pay check should go... sorry you cant or don't want to.

As you say, there are plenty of well paid entertainers. Their pay is aligned with the value that they create. You may argue about the value, and sometimes people get paid more than they are worth, but on aggregate, they get paid for the value that they create - otherwise the system breaks. Capitalism.

There is no intrinsic value in a work of art - just some canvas and a little paint. There's no intrinsic value in a movie script. The value develops from people's willingness to pay to own the art or to see the movie. There is no intrinsic value to kicking a soccer ball - however artfully - value does not exist unless someone is willing to pay to watch you do it.

It's a fact that USA Women's soccer does not draw crowds, does not draw viewers and does not much matter to many people at all. It's just fine declaring that out of some kind of mis-placed sense of "fairness" the women should be paid as much as the men, but where does this money come from? Who's money is it? You may say "US Soccer" - but where will US Soccer get it from? You can't magic money from nothing, you need to raise it. In the entertainment business, that means TV rights and asses on seats. Few asses and low TV ratings means little money and therefore a small payday for the entertainers. Sure, Rapino and crew are more successful on the world stage than the US men, but this is a game - it's not the outcome that matters, it's the process and the process for women's soccer is pretty much anonymous except for the world cup. The value does not exist at the same level as the men, not because the women are less worthy, or less relatively athletic, it's just that they are worth less because people don't pay to see them play.

When was the last time you, or anyone you know, pay to go to see women's professional soccer? How much did you pay for the ticket? How many hours did you and your friends spend watching NHL this year on TV vs. women's soccer?  If you went to an NHL game, how much would it cost you? If Rapino wants to be paid like a man she needs to persuade you, and a couple of million people like you, to come to see her play league games for $250/ticket. She needs 6M people to watch her play on TV every Saturday afternoon, and persuade advertisers to spend $5M for a season of 30 second ad slots in key geographies. Then she gets her payday.

Until then, she is just an entitled woman trying to bully and shame the usual villains (white men) into giving her more than her fair share of money to shut up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

When was the last time you, or anyone you know, pay to go to see women's professional soccer? How much did you pay for the ticket? How many hours did you and your friends spend watching NHL this year on TV vs. women's soccer?  

Until then, she is just an entitled woman trying to bully and shame the usual villains (white men) into giving her more than her fair share of money to shut up.

That would be about a 20 to 1 ratio in favor of women's soccer.  NHL is just plain unwatchable.

For the rest of your post, you are coming off like a smug, entitled man.  Just so you know.  

And, for the record, you are talking about a member of a team that just had a celebratory ticker tape parade through Manhattan while enraging our dearly beloved *resident.  So I'd say she has pretty well upped her game.

9 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

That would be about a 20 to 1 ratio in favor of women's soccer.  NHL is just plain unwatchable.

For the rest of your post, you are coming off like a smug, entitled man.  Just so you know.  

And, for the record, you are talking about a member of a team that just had a celebratory ticker tape parade through Manhattan while enraging our dearly beloved *resident.  So I'd say she has pretty well upped her game.

Hmmmm - starting with the ad-hominem attacks and name-calling already. I guess you ran out of useful contributions and decided to take a personal swipe at me. In future I'll try not to hurt your feelings or "trigger" you.  Perhaps you should take a few deep, calming, breaths - perhaps light some scented candles and pick up a box of kleenex - before reading any further.

And "smug and entitled" or not, you did not answer the question about who gives the money to Rapino? Where does it come from? Who used to have the money and who does not any more because Rapino has it? Did it come from the men? If so, will they agree to play for less money next world cup? Does it come from kids soccer? If so, will we have developed up and coming kids (of any gender) for the next world cup and the one after that?  US Soccer has a budget and it's a zero sum game - take from someone to give to someone else. 

In my opinion, the fairest way to split the money is to make sure that the kids' development programs are funded so that we're developing future talent, and then pay the players (of any gender) the minimum that you have to so that they play. If you want your stars to play, you're going to have to pay - and in 2019 the male stars have to be paid more than the female stars. Maybe in the future it will be different. Maybe in the USA it will change first.

But as of now, you can't change the facts that if the lawsuit is successful and Rapino successfully raids USA soccer to get pay equality, the money will have to come from the men, and the USA may not be able to field a competitive men's team ever again - which means no money from World Cup appearances, which means much less money for US Soccer, which means less money for kids and womens soccer. Rapino scores a spectacular own goal and wins nothing except a one-off payday because she would be being paid money that she did not earn - robbed from someone who did earn it (the men) or from people who can't defend themselves (the kids).

1 hour ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Hmmmm - starting with the ad-hominem attacks and name-calling already. I guess you ran out of useful contributions and decided to take a personal swipe at me. In future I'll try not to hurt your feelings or "trigger" you.  Perhaps you should take a few deep, calming, breaths - perhaps light some scented candles and pick up a box of kleenex - before reading any further.

Yep, I did.  If "smug, entitled man" is an ad hominum attack.  I thought of it more as a symmetrical response to your attack on Megan Rapinoe.  Someone you've never met but seem to spend a lot of time being very upset about her success and her challenge to remove gender bias from sports. 

I could even claim you have your panties in a bunch about something.  But, I won't.  See what I did there?  How tRumpian of me.

There is only one sport more boring to watch than soccer and that is women’s soccer. Wait. I forgot about Golf. And sailing. 

4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There is only one sport more boring to watch than soccer and that is women’s soccer. Wait. I forgot about Golf. And sailing. 

I respectfully disagree - I'm on the west coast time zone and the timing was perfect for lunch-and-soccer most days when the WWC was on last month. I set aside a conference room and my team and I did an extended lunch break to watch. I enjoyed the games and "got into" the tournament. Having seen all of the USA and UK group games, and a smattering of other games, and the brackets for both teams through to the final, I can say that the USA was by far the best and deepest team and deserved to win. The European teams in the semis and quarters were all about the same (mostly good, sometimes laughable)  any of them could have lost in the final to USA. Japan were good and the ROW was very poor.

They lack the power, speed and some of the polish of the men, but the competition was engaging and fun. Even the goal celebrations were amusing - although I missed the joke that the pretty US gal made with the tea - I thought she had something up her nose (bee?) and was digging it out.

When your playing for and representing your country, on an international level, there is absolutely no reason why both women and men shouldn't be compensated the same amount.

As well as get a potential bonus for being champs.

Its disappointing to see you simply don't value men's and women's compensation in the same way.

Fortunately, that mind set is diminishing as we go forward while this dishonorable and out dated culture ages out. 

54 minutes ago, Keith said:

When your playing for and representing your country, on an international level, there is absolutely no reason why both women and men shouldn't be compensated the same amount.

As well as get a potential bonus for being champs.

Its disappointing to see you simply don't value men's and women's compensation in the same way.

Fortunately, that mind set is diminishing as we go forward while this dishonorable and out dated culture ages out. 

Value is based on what you earn, not what you wish you could earn, what fairness dictates you should earn in a perfect world or what social justice warriors demand that you should earn. You simply can't pay someone participating in a $131M endeavor the same as someone sharing the generation of $4B. The math does not work - either you need to short change the guys for the economic value that they create, or you need to find a lot of new money from somewhere to pay the women. Good luck taking the money from the guys - they are sitting quiet now trying to wait it out and look supportive and PC - but if you actually demand a check for half of their game money, they will defend themselves.

I think that you are under the misapprehension that international soccer is some kind of state funded national virility symbol. It's not - it's a privately operated money-making endeavor designed to entertain millions and get them to pay to watch the games (either directly or as a result of advertising impressions). Men's world cup generates a little more than 50c (on average) from every human on the planet. Womens world cup soccer generates 50c for every woman in the USA (roughly). There's a 30:1 mismatch in revenue - the numbers don't add up. 

If there's a bag of money, and you earned 96.5% of it, would you be willing to give half to someone who earned just 3.5% of it, because that person happens to sport a vagina instead of a penis? Waaa waaa waaa - I want half of your money because I have a vagina. That's marriage, not international sporting competition.

• Like 1

Oh this is interesting................take the time to read the response from the US Soccer Federation regarding the assertion of pay inequality and fairness. It seems the men and women are playing under separately negotiated very different collective bargaining agreements that each agreed to regarding pay and benefits. In addition to the quote below, a primary difference is that the men's contact does not include a guaranteed annual salary which the women's does in addition to the benefits described below. Its worth a read and I am less impressed with their assertion of inequality on the basis of several factors, not the least of which is its the result of a collective bargaining agreement they signed onto.

FIFA money on the other hand is less fairly distributed but it seems to me US Soccer is holding up their end.

Reading the whole response is worth it, its not that long but you'll get the gist by the excerpt I snipped below (note CBA is "Collective Bargaining Agreement which is the contract both sides agree to as a result of negotiations):

• Guaranteed salary for women—Under their CBA, the women have chosen to have a guaranteed salary; U.S. Soccer therefore pays each WNT contracted player a base salary of $100,000 per year.(In contrast, the men’s national team players have no guaranteed salary and are only paid for the training camps they attend and the games they play, plus game bonuses.)In addition, U.S. Soccer also pays WNT contracted players a $67,500-$72,500 salary for playing in the National Women’s Soccer League.(In contrast, we do not pay salaries for men who play in Major League Soccer or any other men’s professional league).In other words, U.S. Soccer guarantees WNT contracted players who also play in the NWSL a base salary of $167,500-$172,500 per year, atop which they can earn game and tournament bonuses.Again, although players on our Men’s National Team can earn larger bonuses, they are guaranteed nothing; they have a different contract structure.

• Guaranteed benefits for women—Above and beyond the guaranteed salaries mentioned above, U.S. Soccer provides our women players with a robust package of benefits that are not provided to the men.These benefits include fully-paid health, dental and vision insurance; severance; a 401(k) retirement plan; paid maternity leave; guaranteed injury protection; and assistance with childcare.Again, under their contract, our men’s players receive none of these benefits.

https://www.ussoccer.com/governance/board-of-directors/us-soccer-president-carlos-cordeiro/open-letter-july-29-2019-finding-common-ground

• Like 1