Sign in to follow this  
BravoBravo

Why are liberals so unhappy

about everything....figured this is the place to ask....

The Judge scheduled court at 1:30 pm on Friday.

If you looked back on your life and realized that every position you ever supported was an abject failure you would be unhappy too.

11 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

well apparently the men can menstruate now so pms?

That pretty well describes the Senate, but then that wouldn't be Liberals staining their underwear, would it?

This worked a lot better when it was Why Republicans Are Happier - of course you wouldn't know anything about that since you just washed up here, right?

They have a fundamental misunderstanding about the source of happiness.

Happiness is a dozen different feelings: Satisfaction, pride, joy, thrill, contentment, wealth, strength, beauty etc. All of these get rolled up into "happiness".

Ask any philosopher, and they will tell you that happiness can only come from within yourself (or they will tell you that happiness is a false path, and they should seek do detatch themselves from desire, which will at least alleviate suffering).

Ask any leftist (they aren't liberal at all) how to alleviate suffering, and they will tell you that the answer is not within yourself, but within the State.

Classic liberalism (people like Locke) would say that the State exists to ensure everybody had equal opportunity to pursue happiness.

Modern leftism says that people do not - and can never - have equal opportunity to pursue happiness, so the State must distribute from the happy to the unhappy. 

This doesn't sound true or good to happy people so they all leave. Only the unhappy remain.

Where it gets really weird: Theocrats would tell you that happiness comes from god. Worship him and he will give you happiness. For leftists, their god is the State. The head of State is Dr. President Trump. They worship him as their god.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shubrook said:

Happiness is a dozen different feelings: Satisfaction, pride, joy, thrill, contentment, wealth, strength, beauty etc. All of these get rolled up into "happiness".

Ask any philosopher, and they will tell you that happiness can only come from within yourself (or they will tell you that happiness is a false path, and they should seek do detatch themselves from desire, which will at least alleviate suffering).

Ask any leftist (they aren't liberal at all) how to alleviate suffering, and they will tell you that the answer is not within yourself, but within the State.

Classic liberalism (people like Locke) would say that the State exists to ensure everybody had equal opportunity to pursue happiness.

Modern leftism says that people do not - and can never - have equal opportunity to pursue happiness, so the State must distribute from the happy to the unhappy. 

This doesn't sound true or good to happy people so they all leave. Only the unhappy remain.

Where it gets really weird: Theocrats would tell you that happiness comes from god. Worship him and he will give you happiness. For leftists, their god is the State. The head of State is Dr. President Trump. They worship him as their god.

How deep did you have to dig to get that bullshit sock out?

18 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

This worked a lot better when it was Why Republicans Are Happier - of course you wouldn't know anything about that since you just washed up here, right?

Proof that ignorance is bliss.

D'ranged, d'ya think it's really a sock?  Random folk around here accuse me of sock-ism, but not true.  What is your detection-alg?  What alarm bell set you off?  Whose foot?

I'm a liberal, according to some, I guess, because I believe liberty is important.  I'm sad when there isn't enough of it, though. 

I couldn't find the "label, label, label..." part of this clip, but this is pretty close, and apt:

21 minutes ago, bacq2bacq said:

D'ranged, d'ya think it's really a sock?  Random folk around here accuse me of sock-ism, but not true.  What is your detection-alg?  What alarm bell set you off?  Whose foot?

oh , I dunno - 43 posts since 2005, all the usual RW nutter talking points? Now I'm no Norman Einstein but the socks are almost always something sitting in the drawer since this place started or the recent crop - we seem to get a good group every spring and fall. The question always is - hiding something or just get flicked?

And I am not d'ranged - I am the d'ranger, just to clarify.

1 hour ago, Troglodytarum said:

seriously  though,  it's the cult of victimization.  Either youre a victim and are oppressed or  you're a white male  oppressor and feel guilty about it.

:lol:

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

How deep did you have to dig to get that bullshit sock out?

[‎6/‎28/‎2019 1:56 PM] : 

привет Шеф, Этот парень назвал меня Носком! Как мне лучше ответить?

[‎6/‎28/‎2019 1:58 PM] Brad Parscale:

The Emperor has no socks, dummy!

45 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Clarified, d'ranger.  And I admit to projecting.  My dog is on the passenger-side.  You gotta be crazy to own a 'Rover, and, once it is gone... well... 

P8160015.JPG

Dogs and a sense of humour can help anyone be happy, independent of political affiliation label.

• Like 1

All politicians are unhappy if they can't spend a big pot of taxpayer money for their favorite purposes. When the Republicans loose their authority they will be pissed and the Dems will smile on their way to work every day. 

3 hours ago, warbird said:

If you looked back on your life and realized that every position you ever supported was an abject failure you would be unhappy too.

True, which is why I'm no longer a Republican.  I used to think tax breaks for the rich would trickle down to me somehow.  I used to think women who aborted a fetus were immoral.  I used to think homosexuals chose their "lifestyle".  I used to think the Christian god was real.   I used to think Republicans were for smaller government.  I used to think that all you needed to do to achieve the American Dream was pull yourself up by the bootstraps.  But then I realized how all those positions eventually lead to abject failure and changed my way of thinking and aligned my political beliefs with my core values.  

Regardless, I'm pretty damn happy.  Clarity does that.  It enables one to enjoy life and it's challenges and face them head on with hope rather than anger.  It allows for empathy and room in one's life to give a damn about others who aren't as fortunate, look different, act different and possibly don't share the same healthy outlook on life.  

It's that clarity and empathy the drives liberals to improve the lives of all people rather than a select few.  Once Warbird figures out he's been conned, maybe he'll be angry for a time, reach a point of clarity, find peace and finally do some good in the world.

• Like 8

I pursue happiness: I do not expect it.  

I would say that the right wing does not understand what  a smile is- it is not a drunken guffaw, and as proof, I offer the following: 

The Declaration of Independence is based on the Enlightenment.  Look at some US currency- upon them you will see engraved and printed the smile of the Enlightenment, not the frown of a right wing condescending elite, who despise the Enlightenment.   

This ends the lesson.

2 minutes ago, Amati said:

I would say that the right wing does not understand what  a smile is- it is not a drunken guffaw, and as proof, I offer the following: 

The Declaration of Independence is based on the Enlightenment.  Look at some US currency- upon them you will see engraved and printed the smile of the Enlightenment, not the frown of a right wing condescending elite.   

This ends the lesson.

Odd you choose that as an example, when in fact the liberals are most often found with scowls and expressions of outrage...

2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Odd you choose that as an example, when in fact the liberals are most often found with scowls and expressions of outrage...

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Only when our tranquillity is disturbed.  Damn you for disturbing that tranquility!  It was the English Monarchy and their sycophants who disturbed the tranquility of the American colonists- the modern English have moved far past this, why not you, sirrah?  Fantasies of birthright?

14 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

No doubt you were scowling in disapproval as you posted this?  It’s difficult ruling a mob ;) of democrats, no?  Damned upstarts!  If they’d only respect their betters, eh?

The problem with this particular thread?
quote-all-generalizations-with-the-possi

Generally, I'm a pretty happy guy.  Believing Kurt (+Mark Twain) on this point helps.  Try it!

4 minutes ago, bacq2bacq said:

Generally, I'm a pretty happy guy.  Believing Kurt (+Mark Twain) on this point helps.  Try it!

Mathematicians....

53 minutes ago, Amati said:

The Declaration of Independence is based on the Enlightenment.  Look at some US currency- upon them you will see engraved and printed the smile of the Enlightenment, not the frown of a right wing condescending elite, who despise the Enlightenment.   

This ends the lesson.

The enlightenment was about the "Best of All Possible Worlds"  which sometimes leaves some people unhappy.  " A man's reach must exceed his grasp".  Sometimes that plays into it to.  I am coming down to "happiness is the elimination of want".

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Amati said:

Only when our tranquillity is disturbed.  Damn you for disturbing that tranquility!  It was the English Monarchy and their sycophants who disturbed the tranquility of the American colonists- the modern English have moved far past this, why not you, sirrah?  Fantasies of birthright?

And here I thought it was because the Colonists didn't want to be taxed to pay for their protection on the borders.  "The Wall"  all over again.

It's fundamentally because we are capable of empathy . . 

an emotion that is entirely foreign to the Reich. 

We of the left can be frustrated even though life has been very good 

to us personally - as in my case: great family & friends, no material thneeds, still sailing 

But I still make time to despise the Reich 

• Like 2

Court is over and I am no longer an unhappy liberal.  My client is no happier.  He will remain in jail for a time.  But I saw the video and he doesn't recall.  We will end this with time served and then sue the county because the police over-reacted.  I've got the medical records on his injuries too.

58 minutes ago, bacq2bacq said:

Bravo Bravo.

5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I think it's because I bought a Honda Ridgeline.

Great vehicle - best small truck out there !

3 minutes ago, -Dino said:

Great vehicle - best small truck out there !

It was an inside joke. Hang around for awhile and you will get it.

... and the bartender says heard any good pickup lines lately?

Ridgeline says, I'll have you know, sir, I am a pickup.

F35 says that's not what she said.

Bartender says, who's your invisible friend?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

A Ridgeline and an F35 walk into a bar....

They both break down, and cry on eachother's shoulders. Then they start rusting.

someone I know is pretty high in the UK ministry of defense.  He owns a collection of TVRs.  He compares the F35 to his 1962 TVR with the Standard engine and Lucas electrical system.  You know the one with the fins ala Cadillac only it has a fibreglas body.  The one where the gelcoat is all cracked at the base of the fins.

Liberals are unhappy because they care.

Of course, conservatives are happy because they love spending other people's money on themselves and don't give a fuck about debt.

7 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

That's like asking why conservatives are so stupid, isn't it? I mean, it's a gross generalization that applies to some, but not all.

In general, I'm a happy person. I've got a good life, a good family, a happy marriage, an I live on a boat. My general demeanor is positive and upbeat, I've never suffered from depression or anxiety and my default mood is good. I don't stay angry long and I'm prone to forgiveness (though I do have a long memory for a special category of assholery). My outlook is generally optimistic.

On the whole I'd describe myself as a happy person.

I'm also an American, a taxpayer, and I have some sense of right and wrong and compassion for those less fortunate than me. I have very strong belief about human rights - including women's rights, the environment, and the world I want for my children to live in.

I also hate Nazis, fascists, white supremacists and bigots. I'm also not big on traitors, misogynists, and people that steal from the public trough. I will admit intolerance for these folks, and next to zero patience for the fools that cover for them and enable them.

Seeing my beautiful country debased by these criminal, treasonous fucks pisses me off. Learning that 40% of my country is either too stupid, too selfish, or too racist to be willing to stop it pisses me off. Seeing my kid's economic future stolen by opportunistic weasels pisses my off. Watching our country flush the future down the toilet from selfishness and greed pisses me off.

So a day to day basis, I get up in the morning, kiss my wife, make a cup of coffee and enjoy the quiet. On a specific basis...I read the news and see what's going on and it makes me angry and sad.

But being angry and sad is not my normal state, nor is it my life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shubrook said:

What a stunningly stupid pile of bullshit.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Probably because you just dropped a load of insulting stupid on the floor in front of them, but OK, that's our fault for reacting.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Buncha Happy little Jacks. 

20A6A6FB-D31A-4A6C-B3AA-47D9DE8D38AB.jpeg

3CB86F67-6741-4446-90C3-B4D8034AFC20.jpeg

Such happy, fine people on both sides.

image.png.46630236a9f06986ec97fa0e907422d0.png

Just now, Ease the sheet. said:
4 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What a stunningly stupid pile of bullshit.

Oh I don't know, I found it fucking hilarious.

Yeah, and so was Charlie Chaplin slipping and falling on a banana peel a dozen times straight.

But it's not the ne plus ultra of sophisticated humor.

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Yeah, and so was Charlie Chaplin slipping and falling on a banana peel a dozen times straight.

But it's not the ne plus ultra of sophisticated humor.

You're on fire today!

You managed to get "sophisticated" into a conversation about a fuckwit who posted that leftists worship Trump as a god.

Outstanding!

7 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

'unhappy', is that what you call lack of respect? it's the culture of idiocy and general lack of proper reason you simple fks propagate, it's actually offensive.

that shits on you chuckles, respect is earned.

1 hour ago, Laker said:

someone I know is pretty high in the UK ministry of defense.  He owns a collection of TVRs.  He compares the F35 to his 1962 TVR with the Standard engine and Lucas electrical system.  You know the one with the fins ala Cadillac only it has a fibreglas body.  The one where the gelcoat is all cracked at the base of the fins.

Old family joke. Why do the British drink warm beer? Refrigerators built by Lucas.

I think we have an unhappy conservative here, who's hoping to get some hugs from the other side.....

Sorry pal..... It don't work that way.

13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I think we have an unhappy conservative here, who's hoping to get some hugs from the other side.....

Sorry pal..... It don't work that way.

An unhappy conservative with the same MO as Simple Jack, who popped up just about the time Simple Jack’s latest iteration disappeared. 

10 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

An unhappy conservative with the same MO as Simple Jack, who popped up just about the time Simple Jack’s latest iteration disappeared. 

GOSH! Imagine that!!!!?

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

That's like asking why conservatives are so stupid, isn't it? I mean, it's a gross generalization that applies to some, but not all.

In general, I'm a happy person. I've got a good life, a good family, a happy marriage...    ...    ...

I also hate Nazis, fascists, white supremacists and bigots. I'm also not big on traitors, misogynists, and people that steal from the public trough. I will admit intolerance for these folks, and next to zero patience for the fools that cover for them and enable them.

Seeing my beautiful country debased by these criminal, treasonous fucks pisses me off. Learning that 40% of my country is either too stupid, too selfish, or too racist to be willing to stop it pisses me off. Seeing my kid's economic future stolen by opportunistic weasels pisses my off. Watching our country flush the future down the toilet from selfishness and greed pisses me off.

...    ...    ...

^  this ^

I think most of the flushing is coming from laziness and ignorance..... well you could just say laziness, since ignorance is a result of laziness too.

-DSK

11 hours ago, warbird said:

Damn, you must be near suicidal.

7 hours ago, Laker said:

"happiness is the elimination of want".

So says the Buddha.

Trumps fake corollary “if you want to be happy, lower your expectations”

4 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Old family joke. Why do the British drink warm beer? Refrigerators built by Lucas.

What did Sir Lucas say to his wife just before he died?

”don’t drive after dark....”

or was it

”don’t drive in the rain.....”

?????

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

So says the Buddha.

Trumps fake corollary “if you want to be happy, lower your expectations”

Oh, it’s real enough.....except for alpha males like his Donaldness-  

12 hours ago, d'ranger said:

oh , I dunno - 43 posts since 2005, all the usual RW nutter talking points? Now I'm no Norman Einstein but the socks are almost always something sitting in the drawer since this place started or the recent crop - we seem to get a good group every spring and fall. The question always is - hiding something or just get flicked?

A psyched Lone Ranger?:)

(I know, an obscure rock and roll metaphor...but a positive one!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Most of the liberals I know seem to be enjoying their time on the planet. They tend to be disappointed about the fact our country is generally suffering the consequences of the last Presidential election but most recognized what happened as just a symptom of the general illness.

We will find a way out. Liberals will come up with some revolutionary new ideas and the new generation of young folks will finally replace the ancient entrenched old men .

Actually?? The true desperation seems to be surrounding and exterminating the minds  of the old conservatives and reactionaries who are scared as hell their world is crumbling away and their lack of knowledge of “all this new stuff” is leaving them to live out their lives as helpless drooling old folks locked in old  folks homes 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amati said:

What did Sir Lucas say to his wife just before he died?

”don’t drive after dark....”

or was it

”don’t drive in the rain.....”

?????

Why can't they British build calculators?   They can't figure out a design that leaks oil.

We had a string of Jags and Triumph motorcycles in the family.

Ahh Lucas gauges.

Brings back fond memories of my fathers 1967 Daimler 250 four on the floor manual with an overdrive on the steering column burled walnut dash red leather, the smell, turn the key push the ignition and watch all of the Lucas gauges leap into life occasionally assisted by a tap. Fun times

Sorry about the thread drift bravo was it a slow day on pornhub is that why you thought maybe you should come here and see if you could make a few lib heads explode, because you couldn’t get yours to?

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Most of the liberals I know seem to be enjoying their time on the planet. They tend to be disappointed about the fact our country is generally suffering the consequences of the last Presidential election but most recognized what happened as just a symptom of the general illness.

We will find a way out. Liberals will come up with some revolutionary new ideas and the new generation of young folks will finally replace the ancient entrenched old men .

Actually?? The true desperation seems to be surrounding and exterminating the minds  of the old conservatives and reactionaries who are scared as hell their world is crumbling away and their lack of knowledge of “all this new stuff” is leaving them to live out their lives as helpless drooling old folks locked in old  folks homes 

The dying throes of the geriatric white male patriarchy are an ugly thing to watch with the potential for a lot of collateral damage as they try to take everyone down with them.

• Like 1

America at war with itself ,

beginning to understand why you folks need a war outside of your boarders to be happening constantly ,

because without that diversion you are at war with yourselves .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mid said:

America at war with itself ,

beginning to understand why you folks need a war outside of your boarders to be happening constantly ,

because without that diversion you are at war with yourselves .

America isn't at war with itself. America is at war with an internal group who always hated the idea of America. Many of them call themselves "Americans" but it's an accident of geography, not an accurate term

-DSK

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Damn, you must be near suicidal.

And catatonic as well. 

29 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

And catatonic as well. 

That begs the question of how much energy it takes to post.....

22 hours ago, shubrook said:

I think leftists view the State as a set of tools to serve man, and think Trump is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

I think leftists view the State as a set of tools to serve man, and think Trump is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Neither is Shubrook - leftists worship Trump as their God? :lol:

A new high point in right wing nutter stupidity.

7 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Ahh Lucas gauges.

Brings back fond memories of my fathers 1967 Daimler 250 four on the floor manual with an overdrive on the steering column burled walnut dash red leather, the smell, turn the key push the ignition and watch all of the Lucas gauges leap into life occasionally assisted by a tap. Fun times

A perfect illustration of a lot of the bad rap that Lucas got (gets?).

Those were almost certainly Smiths gauges. You are unlikely to find an E-Type Jag with more than 50K miles on the odo because the Smiths speedo's only lasted about that long and you got a new odo when you replaced it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Lucas - they built a lot of crap but they also carry the can for most of what was wrong with the British motor industry. The aforementioned Smiths gauges don't work - Lucas, electrical fire because wires chafed through at the ungrommeted hole in the firewall? Lucas. Hard starting because the distributor was mounted under the thermostat housing so condensation could drip into the cap? Lucas. Shorts in the badly installed spaghetti dash wiring? Lucas

23 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

"The mainstream media, academia, Wikipedia, Apple, Google, are all unfair to me. The brown people are taking our jobs, and the democrats are killing babies and want to take my guns"

Behold the epitome of happiness.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

I can tell you why conservatives are so happy - ignorance is bliss.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, BravoBravo said:

So this is what happy people look like?  

• Like 1

I prefer a Gin and Tonic to a Catatonic..... But if that's what you've got......

14 hours ago, benwynn said:

Behold the epitome of happiness.

Thanxs Ben , some sanity was needed .

why are most comedians left wing?

It requires intelligence, pathos and perceptiveness to be funny.

Paradoxically, many of the best comedians are also bipolar or suffer from depression.

Conversely, buffoons tend right.   How many right wing comedians rely on hate and stupidity for "laughs" ?

You know what says you don't get triggered? bumping random posts in other threads! That says "I'm totally not a psycho who gets triggered when people point out I'm dishonest ". Now, dogballs - whens the last time you gave Rand Paul a blowjob? Don't you have a Gary Johnson thread to bump or is it crossposting time? Or have I missed your morning cry for attention?

It's called Hunter Thompson's disease.  As Kurt Vonnegut explained it: 

"Inwardly, he is being eaten alive by tinhorn politicians.

The disease is fatal. There is no known cure. The most we can do for the poor devil, it seems to me, is to name his disease in his honor. From this moment on, let all those who feel that Americans can be as easily led to beauty as to ugliness, to truth as to public relations, to joy as to bitterness, be said to be suffering from Hunter Thompson’s disease."

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr., "A Political Disease"
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

why are most comedians left wing?

It requires intelligence, pathos and perceptiveness to be funny.

Paradoxically, many of the best comedians are also bipolar or suffer from depression.

Conversely, buffoons tend right.   How many right wing comedians rely on hate and stupidity for "laughs" ?

I challenge anyone to name one funny right wing comedian.

Just one.

C'mon - it's no more difficult than naming one funny German comedian.

4 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

sd1iyaluiew21.jpg

Some guns are designed for those that tend to shoot a bit wide of the mark.   

44D52496-A33B-4DBB-81FE-4A1FB7A9E9E5.jpeg

They don't make dogballs with multiple triggers so dogballs Tom wouldn't know about them.

The qualifications to participate, which are the same for October's debate, include having 130,000 unique donors

If anyone ever wondered if it was all about the money - there's your answer.