Sign in to follow this  
Editor

yesterday, say hello to today

A-27-Profile-1024x372.jpg
A full carbon Antrim 27 built for Buzz Blackett in Moss Landing, CA, by Left Coast Composites. Hull, deck, and all interior parts build out of the stock molds weighed in at under 700 lbs. It's going to be a rocket ship. - Anarchist Mark.

• Like 4

We thought about that in the early 80s. But then we realized the hullshape would be all wrong. With so much weight saved, and all into the keel, boat goes marginally faster upwind that 's all. Or if weight kept same, you have to put too many people on to get her on her lines.
Better to build a shape with less rocker.

It’s still fuggin cool though 

• Like 1

Built to be raced doublehanded next year in the Pacific Cup.     I guess he got tired of standing headroom in the Class 40.

For its intended purpose it should haul ass!

22 hours ago, fastyacht said:

We thought about that in the early 80s. But then we realized the hullshape would be all wrong. With so much weight saved, and all into the keel, boat goes marginally faster upwind that 's all. Or if weight kept same, you have to put too many people on to get her on her lines.

What about downwind?

She'll be a rocket ship, and the weight reduction is a bit exaggerated according to Jim Antrim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Remodel said:

What about downwind?

same same weight and same shape all up same speed. Lighter weight a bit faster but still too much rocker. There were a bunch of ior boats built in the early 80s out of Kevlar or Kevlar carbon their hulls were extremely light--snake oil for instance--and. merrythought-- a lot of them they still had IOR shape and displacement range and went IOR speeds.

• Like 1

Dual axle trailer on a #700 boat?  OK, double that....even triple it and a single axle would still suffice.

Huge boner!

That pic exaggerates the rocker. It's the standard A27 trailer dummy. 

Wicked boat. At stiffer boat is a faster boat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

same same weight and same shape all up same speed. Lighter weight a bit faster but still too much rocker. There were a bunch of ior boats built in the early 80s out of Kevlar or Kevlar carbon their hulls were extremely light--snake oil for instance--and. merrythought-- a lot of them they still had IOR shape and displacement range and went IOR speeds.

It's a pac cup - why do you think you'd have to increase the ballast?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, fastyacht said:

Aren't all gains in keelboats "marginal"?  Nevertheless, same weight would mean much more lead in the keel, leading to the ability to carry more sail while being a much stiffer platform.  Sounds like a recipe for more speed to me.  

9 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

But is it worth it?How much faster could it be.

weight is a killer when surfing downwind. So, I would guess it will be quite a bit faster.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

But is it worth it?How much faster could it be.

That is only something the person spending the money can decide.  Was it worth it to re-do the deck of my Capri 25?  Buy new halyards and a couple of new sails?  Sand the bottom?  Fuck yeah it was worth it!  I love my boat and we do pretty well in our club racing.  All of those things made my boat easier to handle, "marginally" faster and much more comfortable. 

Would I build a carbon Capri 25?  Probably not.  But that really isn't the point.  A carbon Antrim 27 is badass and props to the owner for doing something so cool.  Why can't people just let others enjoy themselves?

• Like 3

LOL. She can enjoy herself any way she wants.

My comments come from the perspective of 30 years ago carried forward. If you look at what people are choosing to build new now, out of CF, it ain't old designs. For the most part it is taking advantage of the material to go where it was difficult to go with standard materials. Think fast catamarans.
That's really the thing: marginal gains that cost 6x more in materials (or whatever it works out to be--don't know if they used prepreg in an autoclave or bought 40k tows and did it on the cheap somehow) is not often chosen, except in the hyper competitive grand prix racing circuit...which I don't think an old Atrim 27 will be frequenting.
Cool? Damn straight? Would I buy a new Parker CF 505? If I had a spare 30k sloshing around, yes.
So yes, enjoy with the money, and take satisfaction in the stiffness of a carbon fiber Antrim 27.

51 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

That is only something the person spending the money can decide.  Was it worth it to re-do the deck of my Capri 25?  Buy new halyards and a couple of new sails?  Sand the bottom?  Fuck yeah it was worth it!  I love my boat and we do pretty well in our club racing.  All of those things made my boat easier to handle, "marginally" faster and much more comfortable. 

Would I build a carbon Capri 25?  Probably not.  But that really isn't the point.  A carbon Antrim 27 is badass and props to the owner for doing something so cool.  Why can't people just let others enjoy themselves?

Hey if he enjoys it go for it

It's NOT a 700lbs boat.   That is for a stripped hull, sans mast, hardware, keel, sails, etc.   Stock Antrim is 2700 with a 1050 keel.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, fastyacht said:

Hard to build something with less rocker than an A27!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

remember that buzz and jim are good friends. iirc, buzz has jim onboard for this adventure next year, i'd say they know what they're doing all the way around...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsonite said:

Hard to build something with less rocker than an A27!

I'd sail it. That's for sure.
image.png.b00f23e608179778daa129d412fe2dc9.png

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, fastyacht said:

I sailed on a N/M39 IOR 1-tonner back in the 90's that had a hull weight of +/- 600lbs  when pulled out of the mold and sailed like it until the ass end was re-shaped, went from 9.5 knots downwind in 20+ knots of breeze to 13's in the same breeze. Same sails, rig, crew, etc., a few hundred lbs of lead out of the bilge and a couple hundred added to the keel to help it upwind.

• Like 1

Rocker, What ROCKER?  

9C8DDC2B-2D64-4428-AE5B-50D06FCD806A.gif

• Like 1

Haha the MC scow has more rocker ;-)

I don't see hull weight published but 1600 lbs that are not the keel. Rigging is a couple hundred with rudder and all the trimmings; the interior maybe something. Carbon will knock off 20 to 40% depending on details. I'm guessing that this is 250 to 350 lbs lighter than original. OK so two extra guys on the rail and she's on her lines and golden :-)

More pics please the angle that the photo was taken shows the completed hull quite well but it's not the most flattering view a level view at the hull and a front and rear quarter views please and I'm sure if you were to put the missing weight from the carbon hull into the keel it would be an incredibly powerful sailing machine and probably even easier to sail than the stock bombs and believe me I love the Antrim 27s  and can you imagine the dock bragging rights you'd have can't wait to see her in the water

23 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

I was thinking of that in the BIRW thread with all the Jimmy Buffet haters.  May, you hate Jimmy Buffet, you must hate livin'. 

I often thought my Zap done this way would be good. I think Bruce King would drool. 
The bottom is so flat that it would start to break loose in much lighter wind. Currently with the Frac rig, sailed on the angles it will start to break loose with waves with a solid 12 to 13.
Of course a modern keel & rudder, Mast head rig, sprit, plumb bow would look real nice too, maybe a 12 to 18" scoop to stop the transom from squatting in moderate conditions.
The beam on deck would facilitate some water ballast for short handed sailing too.

Naval Architect and engineering needed for sure. OH hell, just by a new boat :P

You can see how flat the forward bow is. when I dive on the bottom, I can reach the waterline with my arms out stretched from side to side in front of the keel.

Zap26_1600.thumb.jpg.270dffaaaa0c8942d3196fbb0590e28b.jpg

Someone else's boat showing the fore/aft flatness

Boat2.JPG

30 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I often thought my Zap done this way would be good. I think Bruce King would drool. 
The bottom is so flat that it would start to break loose in much lighter wind. Currently with the Frac rig, sailed on the angles it will start to break loose with waves with a solid 12 to 13.
Of course a modern keel & rudder, Mast head rig, sprit, plumb bow would look real nice too, maybe a 12 to 18" scoop to stop the transom from squatting in moderate conditions.
The beam on deck would facilitate some water ballast for short handed sailing too.

Naval Architect and engineering needed for sure. OH hell, just by a new boat :P

You can see how flat the forward bow is. when I dive on the bottom, I can reach the waterline with my arms out stretched from side to side in front of the keel.

Zap26_1600.thumb.jpg.270dffaaaa0c8942d3196fbb0590e28b.jpg

Someone else's boat showing the fore/aft flatness

Boat2.JPG

That's a cool ride I like it.Looks like fun down hill in a blow

why would you do that when you could do a new design with all the good materials ,we sailed stuff like that in australia thirty years ago however good luck to the owner it is still all about personal enjoyment not our opinions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

That's a cool ride I like it.Looks like fun down hill in a blow

It does go in a blow. The boat is fast in light and heavy air. In moderate air it does not have the waterline, but if you pay attention you can win. In moderate air, downwind I have to sail the angles hard and be very mindful of where I need to go.

One race, we were about 1.5 mile from the weather mark, an oil rig. The wind was 20knts andwe had the #2 out to the rail w/ full main and 6 people on the rail. The boat was sailing great and the wind bumped to 25knts. Now it is a bit much to handle but the mark was right there. We held on and rounded right behind a Santana 3030 GP modified. As we rounded and bore off a big 8' wave got behind us and we hit 15.5knts under #2 and main. SO MUCH FUN. We finally got settled down, set the kite and were doing a steady 13 knts ocassionally going down to 11 and up to 16. I had a crew that had never been on the boat but knew how to sail so I was trying to be safe. Everyone had big smiles when we got in.

I think this boat would be a smoking single/double hander to Hawaii.

5 hours ago, peelos said:

why would you do that when you could do a new design with all the good materials ,we sailed stuff like that in australia thirty years ago however good luck to the owner it is still all about personal enjoyment not our opinions.

I did say "OH hell, just by a new boat :P"