fstbttms

Pettit Black Widow Video Review

I am often asked for my opinion of Pettit Black Widow anti fouling paint. Hadn't had much experience with it until this spring/summer. Based on what I found yesterday, I can't say I'd recommend it.

13 minutes ago, Editor said:

what are the white bubbles?

Barnacles 

1 hour ago, fstbttms said:

I am often asked for my opinion of Pettit Black Widow anti fouling paint. Hadn't had much experience with it until this spring/summer. Based on what I found yesterday, I can't say I'd recommend it.

Any more info on application etc? We have Widow on a 50'er in the NE that gets weekly wipes, and it comes out pristine. It's sanded to 320 though.

HW

9 minutes ago, fstbttms said:

Barnacles 

holy christ!

1 minute ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Any more info on application etc? We have Widow on a 50'er in the NE that gets weekly wipes, and it comes out pristine. It's sanded to 320 though.

HW

I’m quite sure this was not burnished to 320. But the Northeast ain’t California for fouling, either.

Kinda hard to judge a paint on one boat, eh?  There are plenty of reviews on these forums of people who have had great results wit Black Widow.  

15 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Kinda hard to judge a paint on one boat, eh?  There are plenty of reviews on these forums of people who have had great results wit Black Widow.  

I have been cleaning boat bottoms for over 24 years and have never seen a new bottom foul like this. So I will not risk my reputation and my client’s money recommending a product that I know for a fact performs poorly. YMMV.

• Like 1

This is a recent thing I learnt.

A friend's cat recently had to be re antifouled after the original coating failed like this one. Barnacle growth after less than one month.

BTW, it wasn't Petit Vivid.

Apparently, after antifouling, the boat was launched into water that was polluted ( diesel spill or similar).

This caused the antifoul to "lock out" and be totally ineffective.

I use Petit Vivid on my saildrives and have been very impressed with it.

Shoot, I dove my boat a couple weeks ago

Has been in the warm Chespeake Bay waters for 15 months, including not cleaning in 8.

biocide is shot for slime protection, but it still keeps the barnacles at bay. That cannot be said the bare prop & shaft where the cold galvanization had worn off.

And I had no where near the barnacles above.

Any chance the boat has osmosis blisters that are cracking the coating and giving the critters a place to lodge?

Had that happen decades ago when ACP-50 first came out.

Fixed the bottom, recoated and not a issue.

50 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Any chance the boat has osmosis blisters that are cracking the coating and giving the critters a place to lodge?

Bwhahahaha!

No.

• Like 1

I just put black widow on a racing sailboat. Some questions:

what is the water temp temp in this area?

when was the paint applied first?

how deeply was it wet-sanded?

how long since it was last dived?

all the above matter

1 minute ago, jackolantern said:

I just put black widow on a racing sailboat. Some questions:

all the above matter

Mid-upper 60’s right now.

3 months ago.

No idea.

It hadn’t been dived before.

One of the worst foiling regions right up there with maybe certain parts of carribean, India and Med. 

I'd almost say go with a non-stick and keep the diver's number on speed dial. 

Out of curiosity was the paint professionally applied or DIY?  Sounds silly but did they follow mfg recommendations in terms of prep/application/amount of product used?

More of story probably needs to be told to get complete pic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, @last said:

Out of curiosity was the paint professionally applied or DIY? 

The work was done at KKMI in Point Richmond. One assumes the premier Bay Area boatyard knows how to apply this product.

fast, I respect your work, but your comment *should* be "I wouldn't recommend it for this area." I've been using it in Boston for 3 seasons now and I've never had hard growth like that, even after 3 months of neglect. I used to get hard growth with Offshore all the time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ryley said:

fast, I respect your work, but your comment *should* be "I wouldn't recommend it for this area." I've been using it in Boston for 3 seasons now and I've never had hard growth like that, even after 3 months of neglect. I used to get hard growth with Offshore all the time. 

I didn't say Black Widow wouldn't be effective for the conditions in your cold, short season. I said based on my experience, I can't recommend it.

I have been using E-paint HP for the last 4 or 5 years. A great antifoulent but not without is's problems. It is a bare to maintain. When you sand the bottom quarter sized patches come off and when you sand them the edges crumble rather than feather leaving a sharp edge crater. It takes 3 or 4 prime coats to build up to the point it can be sanded smooth.

I have read good things about Black Widow and decided to give it a try. Striped the keel and rudder applied two coats of BW, sanded to 320 and burnished with copper wool. Very nice metallic sheen. The rest of the bottom is E-paint. Depending on results I may strip the rest of the bottom and go with BW.

Boat has been it for 5 weeks and yesterday I dove the bottom before a local race. The keel and rudder had the slightest bit of slime, just a dusting. The rest of the bottom had nothing. Had I known I wouldn't have bothered but as I was already wet I gave it a wipe down.

As a bench mark I have a copper strip on the bottom that is bonded to the lighting rod on the mast. No mater what kind of bottom paint I have put on it, it always gets barnacles. There were a few barnacles on the strip so I know the critters are around.

Early days so not a good measure of BW effectiveness but I will report as the season progress.

Those are pretty big barnacles: do they grow that fast?

1 minute ago, vikram said:

3 months?.....why would anyone spring for a racing bottom and not dive it for 3 months? 

Why would anybody buy a boat and let it sit in its slip 99% of the time? Because that's what people do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parma said:

Those are pretty big barnacles: do they grow that fast?

Those are juvenile barnacles and not nearly as big as they would've gotten if I hadn't so rudely interrupted them. But our little Bay Area barnacles can't hold a candle to what they see in the Southeast and in much less time.

I am in the PNW and used Black Widow last spring on my bottom. Regular scrubbing during the summer season and scrubbed maybe twice during the winter and when the boat was hauled out this April, just a very light coat of slime. For me Black Widow has lived up to it's hype.

• Like 1

Well maybe don’t trash a product that’s not being maintained in a way that is going to work in an area that has really heavy fouling. 

Sour grapes bad faith argument, FB

41 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Well maybe don’t trash a product that’s not being maintained in a way that is going to work in an area that has really heavy fouling. 

Sour grapes bad faith argument, FB

Look chief, I don't need you to tell me what constitutes proper maintenance of any anti fouling paint. But here's what Pettit has to say about the subject:

"Boats and vessels should not be scrubbed or cleaned for the first six months in the water, and at intervals of not less than three months thereafter." 

2sfOoz.jpg

http://www.pettitpaint.com/media/4098/black-widow-pds.pdf

Regardless, any paint that allows this kind of fouling to occur three months after splashing here in the Bay Area is not performing well. For some reason that fact seems to get your panties all in a bunch. Maybe you own stock in Pettit or something, I don't know (or care.)

• Like 1

Interesting. I sent a boat to Southern California with Black widow on it last year. 

Guess I need to see if My paint seiection abused my reputation  

I am no expert on anti-fouling paint, by any means,   But, I learned at a very young age, that any finish job of paint, varnish or anything, is 95% preparation in advance, and maintenance after the fact.  Is that a possible cause in this case? 

Just spent a half a day wire  brushing, then wiping down with lacquer thinner, a FREE set of rusty metal deck furniture, and then 3 quarts of semi-gloss black Rustoleum water based paint with a Wagner spray gun.  Looks as good as new now!!  95% prep and 5% application....

• Like 1

This is silly. If you want a race boat that you race on and select a hard racing paint then you have your bottom dived on regularly. 3 months in between wipes is hysterically ineffective anywhere but Halifax NS or Alaska. Of course you’re going to get growth and barnacles and whatnot!! On Long Island sound, the Chesapeake, and in Newport, if you dive less than once a week you might as well not bother showing up on the starting line. 

And for the love of god, how is it an accurate, honest, review of a product to post a video like this after it hasn’t been cleaned in three months???

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jackolantern said:

This is silly. If you want a race boat that you race on and select a hard racing paint then you have your bottom dived on regularly. 3 months in between wipes is hysterically ineffective anywhere but Halifax NS or Alaska. Of course you’re going to get growth and barnacles and whatnot!! On Long Island sound, the Chesapeake, and in Newport, if you dive less than once a week you might as well not bother showing up on the starting line. 

And for the love of god, how is it an accurate, honest, review of a product to post a video like this after it hasn’t been cleaned in three months???

You’re not paying attention. How many times do I have to say it to you? Cleaned or not, this kind of barnacle growth is unheard of on new paint here in the Bay Area. This is unusual and based on my 24+ years in the biz and 32,000 in-water hull cleanings, I can tell you that this paint is not performing well. Why is it not performing well? I don’t know. Again, I have limited experience with this product. But I can tell you that I cannot recommend it to my clients. If that “trashing” the paint in your book, so be it.

• Like 2

My silly and uninformed question is why is a Seacart 30 not being dry sailed?  It's easy enough to put on and off its trailer.  But what do I know?  I'm just arm chairing this and not the owner.

15 minutes ago, Geff said:

My silly and uninformed question is why is a Seacart 30 not being dry sailed?  It's easy enough to put on and off its trailer.  But what do I know?  I'm just arm chairing this and not the owner.

Neither am I. So I can’t tell anybody here why the boat isn’t being drysailed (although launch options are currently somewhat limited here in the East Bay) or why the owner waited three months to have the bottom cleaned (beyond the fact that most anti fouling paints do not need cleaning before 90 days have elapsed and maybe he was basing his service upon previous paints and experience.) Certainly neither of us expected to find a barnacle farm on the bottom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fstbttms said:

I have been cleaning boat bottoms for over 24 years and have never seen a new bottom foul like this. So I will not risk my reputation and my client’s money recommending a product that I know for a fact performs poorly. YMMV.

When was it last scrubbed? And how often? 

Edit, I see it’s just been answered  

3 minutes ago, mad said:

When was it last scrubbed? And how often? 

Edit, I see it’s just been answered  

Right. This boat is actively raced (BAMA, I assume) and is typically cleaned just prior to important races. But again, this fouling came as a surprise. In fact the owner assured me several times that a sponge would be all that was needed to clean the boat.

Don't you have any other customers with Black widow? What are their boats like?

15 minutes ago, See Level said:

Don't you have any other customers with Black widow? What are their boats like?

No other clients currently, to my knowledge. A year or two ago I did have another multihull customer using it and we didn’t have this issue but it was a different time of year and the boat is now drysailed. 

This is what happens when you take all the good stuff out of the paint.

Full disclosure- Yesterday I was contacted by a client who also uses Black Widow on a boat in the Estuary, not far from the Marstrom. I was previously unaware that he had been using this product. He (having read this thread) was concerned that we had found similar fouling on his boat. I assured him that we had not. So maybe whatever is going on with the subject of this thread is an isolated incident.

Great, now this scientific study is up to N=2 with 100% variance. Awesome how you instill fear in your own clients for no reason other than clicks. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IStream said:

Great, now this scientific study is up to N=2 with 100% variance. Awesome how you instill fear in your own clients for no reason other than clicks. 

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em, sport. Maybe you'd prefer your diver didn't show you a failed paint job?

My diver calls 'em as he sees 'em too. But he also exercises good judgement and doesn't try to scare me or give me bad advice based on scant evidence. The teenage kid down the dock can put on a mask and fins and do the job cheaper but I pay the pro because of his experience and judgement. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

My diver calls 'em as he sees 'em too. But he also exercises good judgement and doesn't try to scare me or give me bad advice based on scant evidence. The teenage kid down the dock can put on a mask and fins and do the job cheaper but I pay the pro because of his experience and judgement. 

A 2-minute video of some barnacles on a boat 800 miles away from yours "scared" you? Bwahahahaha! Why would you assume the paint job on this boat has ANYTHING to do with yours? Is your diver reporting shelled animal fouling after three months? No? Then what the fuck are you worried about? And BTW- I didn't advise you or anybody else to do anything.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Don't take it personally - people seem to treat antifoul product that works for them as some sort of extension of their personality/purchasing smarts. Like Americans and their cars or grills - they get their panties in a bunch if it doesn't work for someone else.

Do you even read your own posts? It didn't scare me, it scared your client. I'm not worried in the least but I can tell you that if I kept my boat in the Bay Area, I'd have a different diver. Perhaps you're not doing as big a service for your clientele as you think you are by giving advice on the basis of one bottom.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fstbttms said:

A 2-minute video of some barnacles on a boat 800 miles away from yours "scared" you? Bwahahahaha! Why would you assume the paint job on this boat has ANYTHING to do with yours? Is your diver reporting shelled animal fouling after three months? No? Then what the fuck are you worried about? And BTW- I didn't advise you or anybody else to do anything.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Dude, you're the one who came on here telling everyone to avoid Black Widow, then dug in your heals on your recommendation even though your reasoning is simplistic at best.  Now you mouth off to everyone calling you on your shit?

Unbelievable.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Don't take it personally - people seem to treat antifoul product that works for them as some sort of extension of their personality/purchasing smarts. Like Americans and their cars or grills - they get their panties in a bunch if it doesn't work for someone else.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I show them a failed Black Widow bottom and they all get worried that it is some sort of reflection on their prowess as sailors and boat owners. :lol:

You folks get to even TRY this stuff... we can't buy it in Canada yet!  I suspect Black Widow or Vivid would be excellent in Lake Ontario, it cannot be worse than VC-17m (without biolux)!   It is the same water in New York as Ontario, and what the hell we are downstream of Love Canal anyways!

2 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

I’ve never liked this fastbottoms character 

youre from the bay area. Maybe it’s actually “bottoms fast”

Your backassward country dumbfuckitude is showing. :lol:

16 hours ago, evenflow said:

You folks get to even TRY this stuff... we can't buy it in Canada yet!  I suspect Black Widow or Vivid would be excellent in Lake Ontario, it cannot be worse than VC-17m (without biolux)!   It is the same water in New York as Ontario, and what the hell we are downstream of Love Canal anyways!

Nothing stopping you from a quick trip across the border to pick some up.

I am using Petite Vivid for the first time. I have been diving the boat. Just need to wipe it down, it has been great. Does anything hold up for 3 months no diving?

7 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

Does anything hold up for 3 months no diving?

Completely dependent upon the fouling conditions in your marina. Anti fouling paint performance varies widely, region to region.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I am using Petite Vivid for the first time. I have been diving the boat. Just need to wipe it down, it has been great. Does anything hold up for 3 months no diving?

Well...as noted by fstbttms back in Post # 28  per the Petit Black Widow web-page, under maintenance they say " "Boats and vessels should not be scrubbed or cleaned for the first six months in the water, and at intervals of not less than three months thereafter."  Taking that at face value means the only thing done wrong is that the bottom was cleaned too soon after application!

I think a lot of posters bashing fstbttms are reading too much into what he said initially:  He just posted a video of what he came across while cleaning a bottom.  He didn't say it was crap bottom paint - just that he can't see himself recommending it based on what he found - and I respect that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Well...as noted by fstbttms back in Post # 28  per the Petit Black Widow web-page, under maintenance they say " "Boats and vessels should not be scrubbed or cleaned for the first six months in the water, and at intervals of not less than three months thereafter."  Taking that at face value means the only thing done wrong is that the bottom was cleaned too soon after application!

I think a lot of posters bashing fstbttms are reading too much into what he said initially:  He just posted a video of what he came across while cleaning a bottom.  He didn't say it was crap bottom paint - just that he can't see himself recommending it based on what he found - and I respect that.

He provided his exp. Didn't generalize beyond his locale, provided counter exp when he encountered it locally. 

The folks bashing him over the head over it are being emotional about antifoul paint. Antifoul paint. 

The only feelings one should have about antifouling is whether it works in their intended application - and how much it all sucks and all probably toxic and probably not great going into the food chain or into watermakers but what else can ya do and shrug. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 12:15 PM, Miffy said:

This

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Thing one is wetsanding. Smoother surface means less for the baddies to grab onto

The client confirmed yesterday that the paint had been burnished. He did not know to what grit however.

And here I thought that the ed was the king of bullshit click bait posts. Boat sits uncleaned for 3 months and is dirty. SHOCKING

5 minutes ago, bodega87 said:

Boat sits uncleaned for 3 months and is dirty. 

Not the point. I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

There are NO dry sailing hoist options for a non-folding multihull in the SF Bay Area that I know of.    The only boat launch ramp I can think of with storage is Marina Bay in Richmond.  There is ONE dry sailing option in the East Bay-South at Alameda Marina.   Not a wide enough hoist and the 300(?) dry slips will soon only be 30-60(?) with a huge development of townhomes replacing them.   One option in the East Bay-North at Brickyard Cove.    Not wide enough and only a limited number of dry slips.     For small, light and shallow draft boats there is a hoist at Treasure Island, but not wide enough.    Nothing in San Francisco or South.   In the North Bay there is still a hoist at the SF Yacht Club and I think another.  7 million in the SF Bay area and options are shrinking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, solosailor said:

The only boat launch ramp I can think of with storage is Marina Bay in Richmond.

Berkeley Marina also. But storage there is very limited. The owner of the boat in question also has a 1D35 berthed in Alameda and I suspect he enjoys the convenience of being able to jump on the boats and go. Plus, as Greg and I have both mentioned, dry-sailing options are limited in on the Estuary right now.

17 hours ago, 12 metre said:

To be clear, I was not bashing. Just pointing out that Vivid (different product from Petite) has been really good for me so far, and asking if it is supposed to sit that long. Sounds like it is.

1 hour ago, fstbttms said:

Not the point. I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

Was hoping you'd bite. 

So your sample size of exactly one, was enough to warrant a shit post? Then you admit you do another in a similar region that is completely the opposite. What the shit exactly was the point of this? Have you never, ever experienced a single anomaly while scrubbing bottoms? How was this productive? What was the end goal of this? Are you not aware of the dozen(or more?) posts on here raving about BW? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bodega87 said:

Was hoping you'd bite. 

So your sample size of exactly one, was enough to warrant a shit post? Then you admit you do another in a similar region that is completely the opposite. What the shit exactly was the point of this? Have you never, ever experienced a single anomaly while scrubbing bottoms? How was this productive? What was the end goal of this? Are you not aware of the dozen(or more?) posts on here raving about BW? 

Here are the points I made:

1.- Barnacles are not a particular fouling problem in the Bay Area, especially not on boats with anti fouling paint in decent condition.
2.- In 24+ years and 30,000+ hull cleaned, I have never seen this kind of barnacle fouling on a brand new bottom.
3.- Based on the few boats that I service that use Black Widow, this was alarming and I cannot recommend it to my customers.

Here are points I did not make:

1.- Black Widow sucks.
2.- You will have the same experience with it that my customer did.
3.- You are an idiot to use it.

I didn't make a "shit post" and I didn't make a broad generalization about the product. I merely documented what I found on one boat. I find it interesting and amusing that so many have apparently taken offense to that.

what i wonder is how was it applied? Well know yard did the work does not means shit. Did they use all the recommended procedures from Pettit  or there own version. did  they thin the paint with the correct product . the product is very thick and requires thinning no matter how you apply it. Did they use there yard thinner and if so did they " kill " the biocide in the paint or some how effect the properties of the paint. Did they burnish the paint. Did they let it cure the correct amount of time before launch. Did they drive the boat thur a oil or fuel slick after the boat was painted. still lots of questions to answer.  

Would be nice to hear from a bigger population of BW users. I am on my 2nd year in the lower Chesapeake (high fouling area) and rarely use more than a rag. Good anti fouling and slick. No hard growth but I rarely go longer than 2-3 weeks when there is no race. Same for 2 other boats with BW in my marina. Can’t say that about the Baltoplates and VC Offshore bottoms (7-10 days in the summer tops between dives).

My only gripe is you have to be gentle with it. No scrubby and even a rag takes paint off.

15 minutes ago, Overbored said:

what i wonder is how was it applied? Well know yard did the work does not means shit. Did they use all the recommended procedures from Pettit  or there own version. did  they thin the paint with the correct product . the product is very thick and requires thinning no matter how you apply it. Did they use there yard thinner and if so did they " kill " the biocide in the paint or some how effect the properties of the paint. Did they burnish the paint. Did they let it cure the correct amount of time before launch. Did they drive the boat thur a oil or fuel slick after the boat was painted. still lots of questions to answer.  

Unfortunately, I don't know any of these answers beyond the paint being sprayed on and burnished. The customer seems disinclined to pursue this with the yard, having put this product on the boat when his previous coating (applied by the same yard) also failed prematurely.

I am the Marstrom 30 owner of the above issue. I hesitate to get involved here due to the sheer volume of overheated, semi-informed opinions?

I was surprised, to say the least, at hearing of barnacles after 3 months, or less, of use. The boat was sailed, but not raced, half dozen times in the period since the new bottom was applied, and based on my experience with previous anti fouling, I did not consider the possibility that it would need cleaning so soon after application.

I have informed the manufacturer of the situation and I have not as yet heard back.

• Like 2

Dude, sorry for your frustration with the bottom. Is this an anti fouling issue or paint adhesion issue (ex, is there paint under those barnacles)?

It sounds like the two commonalities are the yard and the boat. Sounds like a prep or application issue. 

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Dude, sorry for your frustration with the bottom. Is this an anti fouling issue or paint adhesion issue (ex, is there paint under those barnacles)?

It sounds like the two commonalities are the yard and the boat. Sounds like a prep or application issue. 

There is no adhesion issue with this bottom.

Were you there to inspect the bottom or clean it? The video was pretty long and poorly shot so that we can’t really see what it is on the hull even thought it’s obviously barnacular accumulation. Is there also green algae on it or is that just poor video quality? 

I would think that if the bottom were burnished, the problem would be solved.

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Were you there to inspect the bottom or clean it? 

I was there to clean it. There was heavy slime and grassy algae obscuring the shelled animal growth, so I took a pass with a scrub pad to remove that. Then a metal scraper to get the barnacles off and then another pass with the scrub pad to clean any remaining soft growth.

3 hours ago, freewheelin said:

To be clear, I was not bashing. Just pointing out that Vivid (different product from Petite) has been really good for me so far, and asking if it is supposed to sit that long. Sounds like it is.

Yes, I got that.  My first part of my response (i.e. the quote from Pettit "Boats and vessels should not be scrubbed or cleaned for the first six months in the water, and at intervals of not less than three months thereafter.") was to your query about does any paint last 3 months?  Pettit seems to imply so with that statement.

The second part of my response was more of an addition and was directed at other posters.

• Like 1

Seems like nobody is following the directions on the label. If you are cleaning it 3 months before the first scheduled cleaning time, you have possibly damaged the finish and voided any warranty claim the owner might have.

just saying...

23 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Seems like nobody is following the directions on the label. If you are cleaning it 3 months before the first scheduled cleaning time, you have possibly damaged the finish and voided any warranty claim the owner might have.

just saying...

Bwhahahaha! Nobody would have known the coating had failed if it hadn’t been cleaned. Let’s face it, it’s in the manufacturer’s best interest to make the consumer think the product doesn’t need cleaning or need cleaning frequently. The reality (as we all know) is quite different.

Curious interpretation of the product instructions. 

When it says don't scrub - I'm assuming it means if properly working, there's some matrix formation/active leeching/surface process that's supposed to keep it clean. 

If the instructions mean you're not allowed to clean it no matter how fouled it is for 6 months, then it is the strangest antifouling design I've ever heard of. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Curious interpretation of the product instructions. 

When it says don't scrub - I'm assuming it means if properly working, there's some matrix formation/active leeching/surface process that's supposed to keep it clean. 

If the instructions mean you're not allowed to clean it no matter how fouled it is for 6 months, then it is the strangest antifouling design I've ever heard of. 

Maybe a form of marketing disguised as product information?

Like the ads for the blue pill which instruct you to "consult your physician if you have an erection lasting more than 6 hours"

It has been on my boat in the south Puget sound. Now in the water for 15 months. I sanded the paint on the hull only to about 220 level. I brought the rudder home and prepared it to a polished level. The slime is cleaned fairly regularly, with a bent brush and then free diving on occasion. The hull has stayed in great shape but last month I was surprised to find a lot of barnacles on the rudder, rather suddenly.  I wonder if the polishing I did interfered with the protective process.  I didn't use the recommended polish.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:38 PM, fstbttms said:

Look chief, I don't need you to tell me what constitutes proper maintenance of any anti fouling paint. But here's what Pettit has to say about the subject:

"Boats and vessels should not be scrubbed or cleaned for the first six months in the water, and at intervals of not less than three months thereafter." 

2sfOoz.jpg

Regardless, any paint that allows this kind of fouling to occur three months after splashing here in the Bay Area is not performing well. For some reason that fact seems to get your panties all in a bunch. Maybe you own stock in Pettit or something, I don't know (or care.)

all paints can fail. But I do know of a few do it your selfers that screwed them selves. One using a paint that i had on my bottom and it worked great for me because I let the pro's apply it. Sea Hawk Cukote lasted me 4 years of in and out dry storage. But in the last year I had the boat in the water for the summer and it got real warm. Those damn tube worms fucking took over. lots of work to scrap and sand the bottom. I still am not sure what to put on as I like to leave the boat in the water for periods of time to play.

Moral of the story, "You get what you pay for".

On 7/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, bodega87 said:

Was hoping you'd bite. 

It is quite amazing to me how a simple statement of fact provokes such a vitriolic reaction in people.

Any intelligent person will do thorough research when buying a product like this.  Any intelligent person would read his post for what it was : a factual experience and an experienced opinion.

Why people are so scared of facts..... That's just mind blowing.

• Like 2

Nobody's scared of facts. We're sick of blanket assertions based on one fact only to be completely contradicted by a second fact. The facts themselves aren't the problem.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, IStream said:

We're sick of blanket assertions based on one fact only to be completely contradicted by a second fact. 

Yeah, except none of that happened in this thread. :rolleyes:

A blanket assertion?  Saying he wouldn't recommend it?

Christ.  Ya know, I had a bad experience with a dentist.  I wouldn't recommend the dentist either.

Perhaps he is of the belief that YOU should use the muscle between your ears to gather evidence and make an informed decision.

Some people just love to argue for arguing's sake I guess.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fstbttms said:

Yeah, except none of that happened in this thread. :rolleyes:

I suggest you re-read your own thread.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

And who the fuck is "we"

It's antifouling. Not your grandmother's pot roast. If anyone's exp is shit or good and they report it, let them. What's this try and shut him down nonsense. 

• Like 1