I hope she will still be there for the end of Transpac. One person I would love to meet, but I keep missing out!

I saw it in January at Sundance, and even got a chance to meet Tracy Edwards while I was there... It's a great documentary, highly recommended.  

DG

Would love to see it, but none of the local theaters appear to be screening the film. 

Yes definitely see it. The only film I have been to where the audience stood and applauded at the end!!

On 7/3/2019 at 3:55 AM, Hitchhiker said:

I hope she will still be there for the end of Transpac. One person I would love to meet, but I keep missing out!

Unfortunately likely to be fine by then, but I believe heading for SF, Caribbean winter and then back to the West Coast again. 

I can’t wait to see it and be able to compare it to “The Maiden Challenge” which was a documentary that came out right after the race.

At the Chelsea in Chapel Hill.

21 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Funny thing I just realized: that runaway princess that's all over the news is the very same princess that helped save and restore Maiden.

Princess Haya Bint al-Hussein: The Dubai royal 'hiding in London'

History-making Maiden yacht in Southampton restoration return

So she was 15-16 years old when she helped fund the restoration of Maiden?  Or arm-twisted her father, more likely. Good for her.  

On 7/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, Lake Schooner said:

Correction, it's coming to one theater here on July 26th. Complete listings here:

https://www.sonyclassics.com/maiden/#1stPage

I watched the trailer, but not finding theater listings?  Hope it runs in SE CT!??

Went with my wife and 3 daughters yesterday.  A really great and inspiring story, well told.  Very inspiring, highly recommended.  

I took my wife and three kids on Friday.  It was really good I think it truly shows the lack of respect they had going in and what an amazing job they did.  I was a little surprised through that they did not go into anything about what happened after.  There was very little footage of Dawn Riley and no mention that she went and did on AmeraSports2 or what Tracey did after.  I was hoping they would have a little post mortem in the post credits.  But yes I thought it was great everyone should go

Saw it tonight with a big crowd of local sailors, Dawn Riley was there to field questions. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

I checked on their website to see if it is going to be shown in the Tampa Bay area.   As of today, It looks to be at Veterans 24 in North Tampa on the 26th of July.

I will be taking my family to see it on that day.

- Stumbling

Went to see it the other night. Spectacular sailing footage and fantastic suspenseful story. Uplifting and well done.  Focused on Maiden and their power as a team, not the individuals. The journalists come out looking like real old-school turkeys. Best sailing film so far.  

Inspiring documentary, highly recommend.  Agree with Fan, there should have been a post mortem regarding where some of them went from there, particularly Dawn Riley, who was barely mentioned in the film.  Bring the wife and kids.

On 7/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, Left Shift said:

So she was 15-16 years old when she helped fund the restoration of Maiden?  Or arm-twisted her father, more likely. Good for her.  

Indeed the father option appears to have been the case.  Really nice NPR/Fresh Air interview.  

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/27/736523914/with-an-all-female-crew-maiden-sailed-around-the-world-and-into-history

10 hours ago, Epi-sailor said:

Indeed the father option appears to have been the case.  Really nice NPR/Fresh Air interview.  

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/27/736523914/with-an-all-female-crew-maiden-sailed-around-the-world-and-into-history

Father? From the movie it seemed like she mortgaged her own house (sounded like it was her house) to pay for things up until Royal Jordanian Airlines pitched in. Her father died, and her mother's second husband was portrayed as an abusive alcoholic.  Where is money from father mentioned or suggested?  

On 7/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, shanghaisailor said:

I can’t wait to see it and be able to compare it to “The Maiden Challenge” which was a documentary that came out right after the race.

Any links to the original documentary?

37 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Father? From the movie it seemed like she mortgaged her own house (sounded like it was her house) to pay for things up until Royal Jordanian Airlines pitched in. Her father died, and her mother's second husband was portrayed as an abusive alcoholic.  Where is money from father mentioned or suggested?  

Correction accepted I wasn’t clear - from the fresh air piece it was noted that much of the funding for the race was from or facilitated by King Hussein of Jordan the “father” of  Princess Haya al-Hussein referenced in the previous post.  

King Hussein died in 1999 so would not have been involved in the more recent refurbishing. The Princess's contribution was in his memory.  Thanks for clarifying whose father is the subject of discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Any links to the original documentary?

I'm afraid I don't Maui. I bought it (as a VHS tape) right after it was released, long before internet searches and links were de rigeur. Best I can do is a screenshot of the title frame of the file which is 628Mb so too big to attach here. Your question did mean that I had another look at the video. It has aged well and shows first handthe impact Tracy & her girls had on the race.

As they say, there can only ever be one first AND they won their division on a couple of legs.

Sorry I can't help more - oh, and it was called The Maiden Voyage, not the Maiden Challenge which I had always had it filed under.

SS

The_Maiden_Voyage_Screenshot.png

5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I'm afraid I don't Maui. I bought it (as a VHS tape) right after it was released, long before internet searches and links were de rigeur. Best I can do is a screenshot of the title frame of the file which is 628Mb so too big to attach here. Your question did mean that I had another look at the video. It has aged well and shows first handthe impact Tracy & her girls had on the race.

As they say, there can only ever be one first AND they won their division on a couple of legs.

Sorry I can't help more - oh, and it was called The Maiden Voyage, not the Maiden Challenge which I had always had it filed under.

SS

The_Maiden_Voyage_Screenshot.png

Would it be possible for you to upload it to share on a google drive or dropbox?  I would love to see this.   Sorry if I am imposing too much.

With all the hoopla regarding Maiden, there seems to be a case of amnesia regarding ADC Accutrac.

Clare Francis skippered the Swan 65 ADC Accutrac in the 1977/78 Whitbread.  About half the crew was female.  This was twelve years before Maiden.  Clare Francis authored a book about it titled "Come Wind or Weather".

10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Would it be possible for you to upload it to share on a google drive or dropbox?  I would love to see this.   Sorry if I am imposing too much.

PM with the 'how to' and I will give it a crack

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, captain_crunch said:

With all the hoopla regarding Maiden, there seems to be a case of amnesia regarding ADC Accutrac.

Clare Francis skippered the Swan 65 ADC Accutrac in the 1977/78 Whitbread.  About half the crew was female.  This was twelve years before Maiden.  Clare Francis authored a book about it titled "Come Wind or Weather".

Ladies aboard ADC Accutrac were just Clare and Eve Bonham, I believe.  Might have been a third?  Not sure.

There was a famous moment when Clare was on the SSB radio talking yet again with the UK media and pretty well monopolising one of the only usable HF channels, to the unamusement of the rest of the fleet.  Clare was married to Frenchman Jacques Redon, who was also on the boat.  Anyway that morning Clare's voice was somewhat hoarse, so she said, over the radio, live to the BBC, "I'm sorry, I've got a frog stuck in my throat."  Major laughter from everyone within a thousand miles, and several cut-in radio comments of "Nice one, Jacques.." etc... from other yachts.

Gold.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Gold.

peopel beyieng peopel                                      :)

I saw the Maiden movie yesterday in San Jose with a bunch of sailing buddies.  Very good, and well recommended. 

Happy memories of those pioneer days!

Maiden will be in SF end of August at the StFYC in Tiburon.  Not sure about the program, but I will try to get up there.

10 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Maiden will be in SF end of August at the StFYC in Tiburon.  Not sure about the program, but I will try to get up there.

Woops... Should have been SFYC.  StFYC is of course the St Fancy YC (or St Frantic, whichever you prefer...)

Saw it last night with some of my crew.  Very well done.  Honest and built around an exceptional amount of discovered footage, nicely edited together so that the images fit the narrative and vice versa.  Not the usual yachting story at all.

Partly it's the story of how a chance encounter can lead into something much greater.

1 hour ago, PaulinVictoria said:

I had the pleasure of looking around Maiden this afternoon in Victoria harbour. Very cool.

I'll have to go check it out. 

I can't find any locations where the film is showing though which is annoying

It's on in Vic tomorrow evening but I don't recall the theatre - I think RVYC arranged it so they should know. Maiden is in town tomorrow I think, then off to Van, whether you'll be able to get onboard I don't know, they said they were only there 5-6pm today.

• Like 1

"Maiden the movie is showing August 25th & 26th at the Cinecenta Theatre in Victoria " huh, well there you go.

Will this ever make it to Netflix?  It's showing at 2 theaters in CT, but they are both an hours drive each way...

Maiden website was indicating that the movie shows at Veterans 24 today, but Veterans is not indicating that it is scheduled to be shown.  Any Tampa based members got any insight on this?

-Stumbling 

18 hours ago, alctel said:

I'll have to go check it out. 

I can't find any locations where the film is showing though which is annoying

FYI, Maiden is currently at Royal Vic Yacht Club, open for viewing until 10pm tonight, then off to Vancouver in the morning.

39 minutes ago, PaulinVictoria said:

FYI, Maiden is currently at Royal Vic Yacht Club, open for viewing until 10pm tonight, then off to Vancouver in the morning.

Thanks!

Our local arts cinema premiered it here in Norfolk, VA on Wednesday (24 July) with a big sailor crowd (200+) and introduction by KC Fullmer, former ODU sailing coach and now in charge of Sail Nauticus, our local community sailing organization. Great documentary on leading up to the race and the race itself,  wrapped around a biography of Tracey Edwards who is a doppelganger for Dame Judy Dench. It was moving, plus great old sailing videos. Highly recommended,

Greg

We saw it last night.  It was pretty awesome!  Highly recommended!

Saw the film yesterday.  Very well done.  Good sailing footage, very interesting interviews.  And yes, as per above, the sailing journalists come off as complete asshats.  Big surprise there....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The great unwashed said:

Saw the film yesterday.  Very well done.  Good sailing footage, very interesting interviews.  And yes, as per above, the sailing journalists come off as complete asshats.  Big surprise there....

At least Fish laughs at himself.  Barry a little bit too.  Fish may have originally coined the phrase "tarts in a tin" but he fairly quickly changed his opinion, and became a firm supporter.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:05 AM, P_Wop said:

Ladies aboard ADC Accutrac were just Clare and Eve Bonham, I believe.  Might have been a third?  Not sure.

There was a famous moment when Clare was on the SSB radio talking yet again with the UK media and pretty well monopolising one of the only usable HF channels, to the unamusement of the rest of the fleet.  Clare was married to Frenchman Jacques Redon, who was also on the boat.  Anyway that morning Clare's voice was somewhat hoarse, so she said, over the radio, live to the BBC, "I'm sorry, I've got a frog stuck in my throat."  Major laughter from everyone within a thousand miles, and several cut-in radio comments of "Nice one, Jacques.." etc... from other yachts.

Gold.

I searched around the web and couldn't find a crew list.  I did find references < https://archive.theoceanrace.com/en/legends/154_Clare-Francis.html > stating that the crew consisted of eleven people, and that there were two women in the crew other than Clare Francis, so it was three women and eight men.  I read the book long ago but can't find it on my bookshelf.  Maybe I had borrowed it from the public library.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:16 AM, billy backstay said:

Will this ever make it to Netflix?  It's showing at 2 theaters in CT, but they are both an hours drive each way...

Worth the drive.  

• Like 1

The boat is currently in Coal Harbour - said to be there for a week then off to Seattle.

Thanks Sloop! I should be able to see her then, but the local Seattle theatre showing the movie only lists times through Thursday, so perhaps their show run is over.

Very good movie and worth seeing. Gives short shrift to how and when Tracy learned to navigate but that's small potatoes in terms of the overall movie.

Me, my wife, and daughter went to see it on Sunday at Coolidge Corner theater in Brookline, MA.  Great film.   For some reason it made me very emotional, but with happiness.  Even my eight year old seemed to dig it.  She just started her junior sailing program at Cottage Park this year and is really taking to it.  I wanted her to see the ladies kicking but in an ocean race.  Was not disappointed.  :D

• Like 1

My wife and I saw it last night in Vancouver.  Highly recommended!

26 minutes ago, Que said:

My wife and I saw it last night in Vancouver.  Highly recommended!

Where is it playing?

So looks like it is at the River Oaks in Houston which is now a Landmark theater - at least through Friday so planning on taking a road trip into town that evening.  Thanks Google!

1 hour ago, Que said:

My wife and I saw it last night in Vancouver.  Highly recommended

Me too - we were at the 6:50 screening so we may have shared a moment.

Also highly recommended. Cineplex International Village at edge of Chinatown in Vancouver

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

we were at the 6:50 screening so we may have shared a moment.

We were also at 6:50 with all of 30 movie-goers who actually knew what sailing is.

I didn't see any mention of the showing on any theatre notice boards, so you pretty much had to have the secret invite to know when/where to catch the show!

Saw it with the in-laws.  I had a lot of questions to answer afterwards (my family are the only sailors in the bunch), but I think they made if very accessible to non-sailing folks.

Now I have to read the book.

EDIT: Not on netflix, but I see you can rent it on Prime Video at Amazon.

Just saw it.....excellent  movie !

Took my gang of millennials sailing wannabes to see it in Detroit this week.  We all loved it.  Never knew Tracy Edwards before the movie.  Certainly recognized all the old sots I grew up admiring in Sailing World in the 80s and 90s (Skip Novac, etc.).  They seemed like gods.  Now we see real story behind Tracy's struggle and gumption compared to pampered men who enjoyed millions in sponsorship and positive press coverage.

On 7/31/2019 at 4:56 PM, bplipschitz said:

EDIT: Not on netflix, but I see you can rent it on Prime Video at Amazon.

THANKS, MATE!!  I can't be arsed to drive for 2 hours to see a movie, no matter how good it is!!

• Like 1

Showing at 7:30 tonight at Cine 4 in New Haven CT 

Also Amherst Cinema, Amherst MA @ 6:55.

You could take a boat almost all the way to either one. 

• Like 1

Saw it over the weekend.  Highly recommended on many levels, the sailing, the ambition, the struggle, the organization and for those of my age the memories it brings back.

Robin

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

THANKS, MATE!!  I can't be arsed to drive for 2 hours to see a movie, no matter how good it is!!

You could use it as an excuse to go have dinner in Mystic.  When we went, we had dinner at "Margarita's" which was sponsoring a fundraiser for the local youth sailing team that night.

1 hour ago, Snow Guy said:

You could use it as an excuse to go have dinner in Mystic.  When we went, we had dinner at "Margarita's" which was sponsoring a fundraiser for the local youth sailing team that night.

Yeah, but neither of those theaters is anywhere near Mystic.  But the idea is sound; use it as an excuse to have dinner in New Haven.  Get some serious apizza at Modern or Pepe's.

21 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Yeah, but neither of those theaters is anywhere near Mystic.  But the idea is sound; use it as an excuse to have dinner in New Haven.  Get some serious apizza at Modern or Pepe's.

I saw it at the Mystic Luxury Cinema.  Looks like they are no longer playing it.

I hope it's still playing in New Haven on Saturday.  I may go see it then if it is.  

Saw it last night with my daughter who is a very keen teen dinghy sailor.  Fantastic movie with some amazing archival footage.  My daughter left inspired.  I left not wanting to brave the southern ocean!

On 7/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, stumblingthunder said:

Maiden website was indicating that the movie shows at Veterans 24 today, but Veterans is not indicating that it is scheduled to be shown.  Any Tampa based members got any insight on this?

-Stumbling 

Attention West Central Florida sailors!

Maiden is scheduled to play in Tampa, at Tampa Theatre, opening on August 9, through August 22.

That is a long run for that theater!  Make your plans for an evening in Tampa.   See www.tampatheatre.org for Tickets.

- Stumbling 

1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

Maiden is scheduled to play in Tampa, at Tampa Theatre, opening on August 9, through August 22.

That is a long run for that theater!  Make your plans for an evening in Tampa.   See www.tampatheatre.org for Tickets.

- Stumbling 

It’s playing In Sarasota 

Saw it a couple of nights ago here in Seattle- excellent!  You've got to admire her spirit and tenacity- perfect role model!  Maiden the boat here in Seattle, open for tours on the 13th.....I think.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:54 PM, boatcat65 said:

Saw it a couple of nights ago here in Seattle- excellent!  You've got to admire her spirit and tenacity- perfect role model!  Maiden the boat here in Seattle, open for tours on the 13th.....I think.

AUG 11 Maiden Open Day at Shilshole Marina
  •  
    Tomorrow from 11:00-16:00
  •  
    pin

Details

Come down and meet the legendary yacht Maiden this Sunday!

Join us for Maiden's Welcome Ceremony and Open Day at the Shilshole Bay Marina from 11AM-4PM. Maiden will be berthed at dock I, just west of the Marina Building, right next to the statue of Viking Leif “Lucky” Erikson.

Meet the crew, including sailing legend Wendy Tuck, get a chance to stand at Maiden's helm (just like Tracy Edwards MBE!) on boat tours, and be inspired by tales of adventure and breaking barriers.
       https://www.facebook.com/events/353887072210920/

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling 

Saw it last night, very well done. Tampa Theater is a cool place to watch it.

The wife and I saw it last week. I really enjoyed it.

Maiden is at the SFYC, huh?  I looked it up, dammit....will be backpacking that weekend. Grrr.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:06 AM, hhn92 said:

Saw it last night, very well done. Tampa Theater is a cool place to watch it.

I saw it on opening night on Friday.   My last fling before heading back to work.

For the uninformed, Tampa Theater is a 1920s movie theater with an interior decor based on Mediterranean, Italian/French/Spanish/Moorish influences.   The Theater is finishing up a round of restoration, so it is even more impressive to see.

IMG_8225.jpg

- Stumbling

• Like 2

I happen to be traveling in the NW with my wife and we saw it in Portland at Cinema 21, I think the last showing on Friday night. Tiny theatre about half full of mostly older folks like us. Really interesting archival footage of an articulate young Tracy Edwards, and lots from Tracy and other crew today. I was disappointed at little coverage of other crew members beyond a few (perhaps they would not cooperate?), and I wanted more detail on the sailing itself. But thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then on Tuesday went to see the refurbished boat (did not know the back story on this, pretty impressive by Tracy to rescue it and fix it up beautifully). Here's pics to prove it, me by the mast and my better half at the helm.

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

12 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

wow

And the organ adds an old school touch that you won't find in the chain theaters:

http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/feature0706.htm

They did not crank it up the night of the opening for Maiden, but it is great fun to see and hear in operation!

- Stumbling

"Join us, Thursday, 4-6 to see the boat in Port Townsend and show our community support!! MAIDEN will arrive under the command of Wendy Tuck, first woman captain to WIN a round the world race (2018 Clipper RTW) and the all-woman The Maiden Factor crew.

Watch for the boat to round Marrowstone Point anytime after 1500. Go out to greet her in your boat - row, power, sail, SUP - all are welcome! The Schooner Adventuress has generously offered to make room at the dock, so give a shout out to our friends about that ship, too! I will post updates here and answer questions. This is a free community event. Everyone is welcome!"  
https://www.facebook.com/events/479829776130426/

It was playing at Mystic Luxury Cinemas this weekend, saw it on Sunday.  Loved the movie - inspirational in every way.

I went to have a look at the boat today at the St Francis YC, and was invited aboard, and below for a poke around. 

The team have done an excellent job on the re-build, especially below where there's now a proper galley with fridges and freezers, and even two heads!  And floorboards!  No more walking in the bilge.

The deck is much the same as before, except all the Lewmar gear has been replaced by Harken, and there's a good new carbon stick with swept spreaders, which means the runners have gone.  What with the change to minimal-overlap headsails instead of the old 150% IOR ones, the boat will be very much easier to handle. Especially since the MCA (or some similar body) has limited them to carrying 9 crew now.

And such a bright and engaging crew, on a mission.  Hats off to them.  They're leaving SF tomorrow for Los Angeles, so I'd expect ETA sometime late Tuesday.  Go visit if you can.  The schedule is on the website.

We saw it in Anacortes with quite a few other aging sailors last weekend.  

My wife was terrified, I shed a few tears, hearty laughs, inner uncommunicable insights, latent fears, and really loved the movie.

She’s my age. At 27 I was playing house with a redhead. Amazing story.

Saw it at the Lyric in Harbor Springs (MI) last week and it was really informative.    As Fan said above, pretty surprising that Dawn didn't get more of a role in the film as I think she's generally viewed as a major player in that project coming together and certainly the female spokesperson for similar efforts in subsequent decades, anywhere in the sport of yacht racing.

It's worth seeing for sure, if perhaps less about sailing than it may be about the challenges of overcoming a male-dominated sport and the rise of girl-power in an adverse environment.   

Truly enjoyed it.

Saw it tonight in a sold-out theater in the Chicago suburbs.   

Great story, great flick.  

10 hours ago, Grinder said:

Saw it tonight in a sold-out theater in the Chicago suburbs.   

Great story, great flick.  

How did the theater come to be sold out?  Was it heavily promoted in your area?  Was it the premiere showing?   Just curious.

Was going to go this past weekend - but it was sold out here too. I live in Marblehead though - lots of sailors and the theater is on the small side.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, MauiPunter said:

How did the theater come to be sold out?  Was it heavily promoted in your area?  Was it the premiere showing?   Just curious.

I do not know.  It’s a small theater, maybe 70 people, with very few showings.   It was nice to see a theater full of sailors.   

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 6:51 AM, MauiPunter said:

I was at my dentist yesterday and the hygienist who knows I sail mentioned that she'd seen a "wonderful movie" and wanted me to know about it.  Maiden.  She doesn't sail, but was intrigued.  Her non-sailing husband also got into it, it seems.  

She said it was at a local neighborhood theater that was packed.  It had a decent downtown run and apparently is on it's second run around here. So, its got some legs.

• Like 1