Sign in to follow this  
TQA

HOSE CLIP FAILURE

11 Years ago my boat was the subject of a no expense spared major refit. All hoses and hose clips were replaced. A substantial supply of spare clips formed part of the inventory when I bought her. 

In the past 5 years 1 to 3 clips have failed each year. Not because they were over tightened or seized they just broke in silence and secretly.

This morning I came across another.

So all clips and most hoses are getting replaced.

Does anyone have a particular make or type of clip that is to be recommended. 

If you have any hose clips of the type MURRAY made in the USA I would replace them with another make. 

2-IMG_0289.JPG

3-IMG_0290.JPG

4-IMG_0296.JPG

Yeah, those aren't the best for marine use. The screw is mild steel and the perforations lower the strength significantly. A better choice is AWAB or Scandvik, which are 316 stainless and non-perforated. They're sold by Defender, Jamestown Distributors, and the other usual suspects. For very critical jobs like clamping raw water hoses, I'd go with a T-bolt style. 

It's extremely difficult to find Stainless-Screw/Stainless-Band hose clamps. Additionally, the style you've shown aren't really very good - they tend to cut the hose and they tend to break at the obvious weak points as yours have.

I would avoid any chandlery product where the outlet can't provide sourcing information indicating the clamp is stainless/stainless and 304, 318 or, preferably, 316. Check with a magnet to be sure.

For good results, look here and here.

Agree with the above. I won't have a perforated clamp on my boat - because they are so good at failing as you have discovered. 

In our part of the world, Budget stock 'JCS' brand I believe, and I have found them to be of decent quality. A little dab of grease or Tefgel on the worm grooves helps prevent galling too.

The T-bolt style that IStream mentions don't seem to come in sizes under about 1 3/4", but are more often used on smaller boats for exhaust hoses and maybe cockpit drains.

BMGB4694.jpg

For critical, boat-sinky stuff, use two clamps with the screws rotated 90 degrees apart. Many people will say 180 degrees - but they're wrong.

ABA hose clamps. 

12 hours ago, seabell said:

For critical, boat-sinky stuff, use two clamps with the screws rotated 90 degrees apart. Many people will say 180 degrees - but they're wrong.

Why?

The only way the perforated clamps fail like that is if they get wet with seawater and never rinsed off.

They are not to be used on wire reinforced hose.

AWAB or ABA are solid band clamps, take much more force to tighten up correctly,  are pretty much bulletproof if kept clean.

They cost 3x what the cheap ones do. 

Use two on any hoses below water line.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Why?

Fair question. It's because of their tendency to tighten in an oval shape due to the rigid worm housing. More noticeable on smaller diameters - tighten a new one in open air (rather than around a hose, I mean) or around a rigid fitting or tube and you will observe the effect. A 90 degree offset distributes the clamping force more evenly than 180 degrees.

Feel free to disagree or ignore!

I see Mr. Mainesail has a page on the subject - though he illustrates the sub-par 180 degree methodhttps://marinehowto.com/proper-installation-of-double-hose-clamps/

Biggest issue - other than the availability of poor quality camps that may be unwittingly selected by the uninformed -  is that a lot of fittings don't have the space available to mount two clips properly - with the bands on the correct side of all the barbs. Another thing to keep in mind is that a good quality clip with a good quality wrist tightening it can deform some polymer (e.g. Marelon) fittings if too much 'enthusiasm' is applied.

• Like 1

At the risk of assassination, the spring clamps used in the auto sector are far superior to tha screw clamps. Only 30 years of experience with engines.. Argue all you want, lol

Ah, the classic hit and run.

Show me the data on spring clamp performance after chronic saltwater exposure.

Ok, I am currently working for a highway maintenance contractor. Road brine is normally around 24 % salt. The truck has a fair bit of plumbing, the best being held together with tee bolt stainless clamps, but the key is replacement, nothing lasts more than a season. Surprisingly, the spring clamps seem to last the longest. Your results may vary.

Are you talking about these things?

image.png.9527accbeb97ab77875045e2e64b1d7c.png

To hold underwater hoses on?

Are you kidding?

Engine hoses, yes. Bilge lines I might use https://images.app.goo.gl/bzdgVN3RUYtounqdA. Also consider the type of material being clamped. Silicone hoses versus the harder rubber types, in any case the clamp should exert even pressure all the way around the fitting . 

If you have to use a screw clamp look for these

image.png

Never seen those - they look very cool.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Never seen those - they look very cool.

Apart from them being cut clean through across half their breadth in multiple locations. No thanks.

The OP is active elsewhere but seems to have abandoned this thread. Ah well.

12 hours ago, seabell said:

The OP is active elsewhere but seems to have abandoned this thread. Ah well.

Not abandoned monitoring daily. 

Still considering which make of clip to go for.  

Current favorite is the JCS Hi-Torque clip which gets positive reviews and is available in stainless. However still has the slots. It is also available in my local chandlers. 

8 hours ago, TQA said:

Current favorite is the JCS Hi-Torque clip which gets positive reviews and is available in stainless. However still has the slots. It is also available in my local chandlers. 

Ask if they have the 'Hi-Grip' type, which is the more rugged version: https://www.jcshi-torque.co.uk/stainless-steel-worm-drive-hose-clips/ 

As mentioned before, Budget Marine stock them. Can't speak for IWW as we don't have them here.

For smaller sizes I usually buy the box of ten, as the pricing is a little better and they're handy to have on-hand. In an emergency you can join two or more together to make a larger diameter.

16 hours ago, seabell said:

Ask if they have the 'Hi-Grip' type, which is the more rugged version: https://www.jcshi-torque.co.uk/stainless-steel-worm-drive-hose-clips/ 

As mentioned before, Budget Marine stock them. Can't speak for IWW as we don't have them here.

For smaller sizes I usually buy the box of ten, as the pricing is a little better and they're handy to have on-hand. In an emergency you can join two or more together to make a larger diameter.

Thank you I will go for the Hi Grip type  NO SLOTS!

Now I wonder if they have them in stock?