AnonOTroll

IOR Legend Sighting

Saw a classic legend cruise through Santa Cruz this evening. Brought back foggy memories of BBS and the IOR glory days.

IMG-5038.thumb.jpg.600b8d21858031d5353b67ee6d611387.jpg

• Like 3

Looks a bit rough.  I bet the Twisted Sisters (for it is they, not the boat itself that are legendary) are even rougher these days.

• Like 2

That brings back (blurred) memories of what I think was my first BBS, perhaps doing bow on a navy blue Petersen 44 with coffee grinders. My (vivid but likely inaccurate) recollection is that the boat had a stack of Peavey amplifiers waiting on the dock broadcasting extremely loud, extremely hard, rock whilst the Sisters did their show. My goodness those were legendary times. Who were the owners at the time? The Who?

• Like 1

Croaky owned the Shockwaves and there were a few of them.  Was it four ?

12 minutes ago, savoir said:

Croaky owned the Shockwaves and there were a few of them.  Was it four ?

He did indeed.  But this one was always US-owned.  Just had the same name.

• Like 1

Mast needs scrubbing or painting.

Gorgeous boat.

6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

There was a Chrichton owned Shockwave (Davidson 45) at the 1980 BBS which dis-masted in the last race. That was the year that Windward Passage won Maxi and Merlin won sleds and Zamazaan (cold molded Farr 52 if I recall correctly?) won IOR I.

The Twisted Sisters accompanied Shockwave in 1986. I remember this as I was 14 going on 15 and just old enough to hike and do squirrel on a Petersen 44 and think the Sisters were somehow... interesting. Wasn't this incarnation painted bright orange?

A Shockwave (same?) won her class in 1988 and 1989. If you care: https://www.latitude38.com/features/BBSRetro.htm

• Like 1

Ahh, the sisters. At the end of a Molokai race, we were rafted next to Shockwave at WYC. The clipped us by about 10 minutes.  Molokai race was always a full court press. When you got in , you were baked. We were having an after race beer. One of the guys on our boat, says something to the affect of "lets ramp this up" Grabs a hose, washes down the sisters, tops off, music on. Best after race recovery. I have no clue what happened next. The owner, Mitch, was a piece of work. 

46 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Windward Passage and Merlin in BBS, sheesh what I wouldn't give to see that!

Don't get me started!

OK you got me started. Those were the glory days. Kialoa, Condor, Swiftsure, Bravura, Love Machine V, Annabelle Lee, Bullfrog, Camouflage, Boomerang, Matador, Bondi Tram, Tomahawk, Blade Runner, Clockwork, Mongoose, Taxi Dancer, Sidewinder, Pendragon, Great News...

1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

They were in different divisions and besides half the race was to windward so Merlin would have been no chance.

1 minute ago, savoir said:

They were in different divisions and besides half the race was to windward so Merlin would have been no chance.

Merlin actually won her division that year (ULDB 70) which was created to accommodate the other sleds like S/C70's, N/M 68's, etc. If you mean that a ULDB 70 couldn't beat an IOR Maxi around the cans that is almost certainly true, though pointless as they were different creatures. The groaning of an IOR Maxi like Condor of Bermuda or Kialoa or Longoborda as the wire running backstays came under full load in a tacking duel up the Cityfront was a memory... A memory I wish to forget as it felt like impending death.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Don't get me started!

OK you got me started. Those were the glory days. Kialoa, Condor, Swiftsure, Bravura, Love Machine V, Annabelle Lee, Bullfrog, Camouflage, Boomerang, Matador, Bondi Tram, Tomahawk, Blade Runner, Clockwork, Mongoose, Taxi Dancer, Sidewinder, Pendragon, Great News...

You forgot Roller.  We won our class.

1 minute ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Who said I forgot? IOR Division II in 1986.

Boom.  Shockwave was in our class and was parked next to us at the Frantic.  Twisted Sisters, tower speakers with the boat name painted on them, the whole shebang.  Good times. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Merlin actually won her division that year (ULDB 70) which was created to accommodate the other sleds like S/C70's, N/M 68's, etc. If you mean that a ULDB 70 couldn't beat an IOR Maxi around the cans that is almost certainly true, though pointless as they were different creatures. The groaning of an IOR Maxi like Condor of Bermuda or Kialoa or Longoborda as the wire running backstays came under full load in a tacking duel up the Cityfront was a memory... A memory I wish to forget as it felt like impending death.

Both Merlin and Windward Passage had it pretty easy in 1980.  Merlin was in a division of 2 and Kialoa wasn't there. Competition was much tougher amongst the smaller boats.

28 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

SC70s and N/M68s did not exist in 1980.  Who was Merlin sailing against?

7 minutes ago, savoir said:

The boat was named Drifter but I don't remember what it was.

If I'm still alive, can I buy your memory if you pass?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, savoir said:

The boat was named Drifter but I don't remember what it was.

Drifter was Merlin's only competitor in the beginning. It was a one-off along the same lines as Merlin but never as good. It was owned and I think built by a guy named Harry Moloshco (SP?)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, some dude said:

Boom.  Shockwave was in our class and was parked next to us at the Frantic.  Twisted Sisters, tower speakers with the boat name painted on them, the whole shebang.  Good times. 

Well if you were parked next to her then you might remember what color she was painted...

32 minutes ago, savoir said:

Both Merlin and Windward Passage had it pretty easy in 1980.  Merlin was in a division of 2 and Kialoa wasn't there. Competition was much tougher amongst the smaller boats.

Kialoa might not have been there in 1980 (she won in '82), but there were 5 maxis. If memory serves it was the ketch version of Windward Passage (was that III or IV ?). 

IOR I - Zamazaan; IOR II - Jetstream; IOR III - Leading Lady; IOR IV - Big Wig. (59 boats total)

3 hours ago, Latadjust said:

I know they're different boats built for different purposes,  but both are what I would put in a "Bitchin boats" Hall of Fame that I would love (and travel) to see all up and going for it in breeze 

This has jangled a memory of another boat at SPYC back in the early 80s had a similar setup during SORC.   I know that it was not Shockwave, as I believe they never made it to an SORC.   The SORC entrant speaker system was not a stack of Marshalls or Peavys, but they were very effective.   Likewise, their two "shore support" personnel kept their tops on at the dock, but were good eye-candy!

Any of you all out the SA-verse have a memory of that, and which boat it was?

- Stumbling

I would love to restore her to her former glory.She has beautiful lines to me.

IIRC, Drifter sank at Metanchen Bay (sp?) near San Blas in Mexico.  82-83 winter, maybe?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, some dude said:

Looks a bit rough.  I bet the Twisted Sisters (for it is they, not the boat itself that are legendary) are even rougher these days.

Thanks for the feedback, I've tried to make it a good a I possibly could, from the condtion it was when I found her, neglected on top a trailer in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's not easy to do the bottom of a 43' sailboat solo, I'd give you that!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:54 PM, condor said:

IIRC, Drifter sank at Metanchen Bay (sp?) near San Blas in Mexico.  82-83 winter, maybe?

Burnt,always suspected as fraud. Had been up for sale(?)

On 7/5/2019 at 3:14 AM, stumblingthunder said:

This has jangled a memory of another boat at SPYC back in the early 80s had a similar setup during SORC.   I know that it was not Shockwave, as I believe they never made it to an SORC.   The SORC entrant speaker system was not a stack of Marshalls or Peavys, but they were very effective.   Likewise, their two "shore support" personnel kept their tops on at the dock, but were good eye-candy!

Any of you all out the SA-verse have a memory of that, and which boat it was?

- Stumbling

Might that have been "Glory" that turned up on the back of her own Peterbilt tractor-trailer rig which was custom-painted in the boat's colors, with a matching boatvan?  Quite a spectacle.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, savoir said:

Windward Passage

Related image

• Like 1

7FE40A82-E487-4ECF-940D-A70C328EA269.thumb.png.c40020c574d060ae632a9ff3329af03a.pngAnother good one, sighted today in Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA

Looks to be in good shape!

45 minutes ago, BruceH-NZ said:

Related image

Windward Passage is certainly a legend, but not anywhere close to IOR except they shared the same decade.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Windward Passage is certainly a legend, but not anywhere close to IOR except they shared the same decade.

Apologies. I realize that its not IOR. Just one of the first bigger boats to capture my imagination as an impressionable young adult. It was 'so modern' when it came out. :) 

There are a few IOR boats around, though of course not as many as there used to be. You may charter Lion New Zealand. Just been refurbished, was back on the water earlier this year.

Here's Spellbound by van de Stadt (1972). Also located in NZ. Local legend.

633001947.jpg

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Are you kidding?  I would call her an IOR legend

She was winning in IOR into the 80s.

The fact she was designed and built on a beach before IOR came along makes her performance under IOR all the more impressive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

J/V One Tonner Outsider.

20190707_143722_resized.jpg

after it's first race, approaching the dock:

"hey martin, the throttle isn't working"

"there isn't one, too heavy"

"oh, fuck"

8 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

J/V One Tonner Outsider.

20190707_143722_resized.jpg

She is looking a little rough around the edges 

7 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

She is looking a little rough around the edges 

Been running from the longboard and fartrock for a long, long time!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

Come on guys i am jonesing for some old ior pics to relive the old days so send them

Meanwhile at the old folks home "do ya remember when ya could get it up?"

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Come on guys i am jonesing for some old ior pics to relive the old days so send them

IMP.jpg

• Like 3

Animal's Cup 1977.  Imp with a reef and a 3, doing the business.  Stunning boat.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, toad said:

Meanwhile at the old folks home "do ya remember when ya could get it up?"

Are you a new VWAP sock?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Wasn't it cool when every line (includingg the Cunningham) had its own winch? And hydraulic cylinder.

Hardware Wars!

On 7/5/2019 at 12:59 AM, P_Wop said:

So the boat in the pic isn't Croaky's 1983 Frers 43/44????  Not dissing your knowledge, just checking.

8 hours ago, sleddog said:

IMP.jpg

Ahhh, from the days where to adjust the jib lead, you needed a second car, a short sheet and a hole in the track where you wanted to pin the primary car to!      Had one sail maker repeatedly request the car moved back and forth 6 inches over hour, and did not want to leave the "temp" car, with the short sheet, on the track.    Probably lost more time from bodies off the rail than we got from all of that "tweeking".  

Rockstars....

- Stumbling

3 hours ago, Curious said:

So the boat in the pic isn't Croaky's 1983 Frers 43/44????  Not dissing your knowledge, just checking.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Neville's one.  But as always I'm prepared to be wrong.

BTW the corrosion on the rig was a different story.  Some of those sticks were extruded front & back from a particularly nasty lightweight aerospace alloy that couldn't be anodized.  Or welded, either.  It was all held together by thousands of monel flush rivets.

13 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Neville's one.  But as always I'm prepared to be wrong.

BTW the corrosion on the rig was a different story.  Some of those sticks were extruded front & back from a particularly nasty lightweight aerospace alloy that couldn't be anodized.  Or welded, either.  It was all held together by thousands of monel flush rivets.

Cheers.  I may be able to look it up in a few weeks, when I come back from a regatta. 

3 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Thank you.Look's like IMP

Probably because it is. ;)

Must be in England with those reef points all so neatly tied off.

Those old boats always looked so perfect when racing at the top level - everything was so neat and in it's place, crews in uniforms etc.

42 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Must be in England with those reef points all so neatly tied off.

Probably did it back at the dock before heading out! B)

17 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

and Line 7 pvc wet weather gear.B)

Perfect example of form and function inverted.  Nothing wetter on the inside when it was dry out side.  Nothing colder when it was cold and nothing hotter when it was warm. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Couta said:

Good to see Hitchhiker right in the middle of that start!!!

I spotted the red and white stripes at the Royal Perth "everyone must wear white" Yacht Club in 2017

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Couta said:

Yes, Ditchdigger in the 83 Admiral's Cup.  'Stumbles' did OK. 

I was naviguessing a Japanese Peterson 42, whose skipper persistently went his own way, whatever I tried to tell him in my non-Japanese.  Oh, well, hire local knowledge and then ignore it....  We didn't do too well in the end.

Here is a photo of Neville's Shockwave. The coachroof and winch placement appear identical, also the yacht was located in the Utah area.

Shockwave 83_6 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Utah?

Did they sail a 2 Tonner on the salt lake?

1 hour ago, fivestar said:

Here is a photo of Neville's Shockwave. The coachroof and winch placement appear identical, also the yacht was located in the Utah area.

Well, well, well, it appears that I've been definitively wrong.  Again!  Thanks for the photo.

There was another US Shockwave, but it may have been smaller, 39 or so. Too much Mount Gay over the years!

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Utah?

Did they sail a 2 Tonner on the salt lake?

Here's the info I got from an article published 2/27/2013 on Shockwave. Please see the earlier link I posted...

Shockwave has been located in the Utah/Great Lakes area for the past ten years or so but has not been actively sailed.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, fivestar said:

Here's the info I got from an article published 2/27/2013 on Shockwave. Please see the earlier link I posted...

Fivestar:  Dick Carter's RED ROOSTER reportedly in the Philippines. Any sightings?

On 7/16/2019 at 11:42 PM, Couta said:

Unfortunately not...that was the first mark...Noel thought he'd make it against the tide and I was saying not a chance...we had to bail out and follow them all round,  They listened to me a bit more after that:)

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, P_Wop said:

Yes, Ditchdigger in the 83 Admiral's Cup.  'Stumbles' did OK. 

I was naviguessing a Japanese Peterson 42, whose skipper persistently went his own way, whatever I tried to tell him in my non-Japanese.  Oh, well, hire local knowledge and then ignore it....  We didn't do too well in the end.

mmm...was hard work with Stumbles and was glad when it finished...mind you we had The Kid aka Peter Gilmour on board as the nipper, Beasho, Complicated Bill and some other Oz legends too to lighten things up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sleddog said:

Fivestar:  Dick Carter's RED ROOSTER reportedly in the Philippines. Any sightings?

I have an idea where it is currently located but have not visited the area recently to verify.

3 hours ago, fivestar said:

I have an idea where it is currently located but have not visited the area recently to verify.

DC, family, and crew would love to know. 50th Anniversary.  If you have any leads, please let us know here.

Red Rooster.jpg

6 hours ago, sleddog said:

DC, family, and crew would love to know. 50th Anniversary.  If you have any leads, please let us know here.

Red Rooster.jpg

I was under the impression the owner had already made contact with the Carters'.

17 hours ago, hughw said:

Unfortunately not...that was the first mark...Noel thought he'd make it against the tide and I was saying not a chance...we had to bail out and follow them all round,  They listened to me a bit more after that:)

Hugh

Would love to know more about it

32 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Hugh

Would love to know more about it

pm me!  Briggsy still has the boat...he's another legend:)

19 hours ago, hughw said:

mmm...was hard work with Stumbles and was glad when it finished...mind you we had The Kid aka Peter Gilmour on board as the nipper, Beasho, Complicated Bill and some other Oz legends too to lighten things up.

Basic Bill?  He's not an Aussie....  

10 hours ago, sleddog said:

Red Rooster.jpg

Love the rudder

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Basic Bill?  He's not an Aussie....  

ComplicatedBill - not Basic!  Bill Edgerton...he built the boat in Oz - the UBute Boat Company!

3 hours ago, hughw said:

ComplicatedBill - not Basic!  Bill Edgerton...he built the boat in Oz - the UBute Boat Company!

Okay, thought it was a play on words.  I regularly sail with Basics sister, Simple Sue, and race against the other one, Plain Jane.

9 hours ago, fivestar said:

I was under the impression the owner had already made contact with the Carters'.

Between book publication speaking engagements, English manor dedication, Trans-Atlantic travel, and other challenges, any DC contact info with RED ROOSTER's current owner or representative is unavailable.  DC's daughter is leading the search for RED ROOSTER (she named the boat) and reads and posts on this Forum   The only info that has been passed from DC is he believes RR is in the Philippines...thus this shout out.  Any further info appreciated.

The photo above is RED ROOSTER running westward in the Solent, 1969.  Unseen in the photo is the keel which is raised, and the trunk's bottom covered with a retractable "curtain."  The rudder too is raised about 2', facilitating passage over shoals where few dared to follow..No depth sounder aboard, just a long pole marked in one foot increments and DC's encyclopedic memory of local tides and topography.

~sleddog.

7 hours ago, sleddog said:

No depth sounder aboard, just a long pole marked in one foot increments and DC's encyclopedic memory of local tides and topography.

~sleddog.

he's a gamblin man!

16 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Is she a wood boat?

Not just wood - kauri according to the Yachtworld ad.

Gerontius is a true IOR legend in the sense that she ushered in the lightweight era of IOR - although I don''t know if anyone realized it at the time.

I don't think Farr gave much or any real consideration to IOR when he designed her back in 1973 (same year as Ganbare).  IIRC she was intended to be just a fast cruiser http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2016/09/gerontius-farr-42.html.  Yet she qualified for the 1975 NZ AC team and performed respectably in the AC.