BlueBennie

Spinnaker Pole Repair - Internal Sleeve

Looking to repair a 4” OD carbon fiber forespar pole. Anyone have a good source for an internal sleeve? 

No, but what's wrong with a nicely faired in external sleeve?

If you must have an internal sleeve, you measure the ID carefully with a micrometer (take the shortest piece to a tool store if you don't have one and just casually measure it with one off the shelf and walk out :)

Then you find something like a piece of PVC pipe or aluminum tubing with OD = ID - (2 x wall thickness.)

i.e. 4" ID of your tube, 1/8" wall thickness. Look for something 4 - 2x1/8 = 3-3/4" OD as a mandrel. Lay up your new sleeve over that. Small gap OK because you can fill with epoxy adhesive.

Thanks Zonker, there seemed to be some posts where I could buy a heavier walled 4” od with sections machined down to my ID and the whole repair procedure would be a clean cut of the pole and an epoxy job, but can not seem to contact the company listed. 

Ill go your suggested route if I can not get a “slug” to do a quick repair. 

Thanks!

If Forespar can't sell you a sleeve ask Forte if they have anything in the right OD. 

Have to admit, I’m disappointed that Forespar will not sell a repair sleeve, their suggestion is a full replacement tube at more than I originally paid for the whole pole. 

Fibere Glast makes carbon fiber fabric sleeves 

On 7/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, BlueBennie said:

Have to admit, I’m disappointed that Forespar will not sell a repair sleeve, their suggestion is a full replacement tube at more than I originally paid for the whole pole. 

That's pretty lame - they should at least offer to repair it,  for a fee. ICE in the gorge, will make almost any sleeve you want.

I have a 40” section of 3.880” ID / 4.260” OD carbon tube available for cheap in SoCal!  Formerly a J-105 prod.  

On 7/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, BlueBennie said:

Have you considered for one moment why they don't make a repair sleeve? I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with wanting to sell you a whole new section. I hope I'm never the bowman on your boat :)