1 hour ago, BruceH-NZ said:

Wondering why there isn't a thread here for the Mini-Transat 2019, so I started one. :) 

Start is at La Boulangère on 22 September 2019

https://www.minitransat.fr/en/news

https://www.minitransat.fr/en/skippers

La Boulangère is the main sponsor of the event 

Start city is La Rochelle.

For the race itself it will be interesting if the foilers will be far enough along with their development to battle against the well proven scows like 865 and the lombard pseudo scows like 945 

• Like 1

Isn't La Rochelle is being renamed for the day?  (Attempt at a comeback, an embarrassing cut and paste incident. :o  My bad.)  

2 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

For the race itself it will be interesting if the foilers will be far enough along with their development to battle against the well proven scows like 865 and the lombard pseudo scows like 945 

Agreed. Wondering how foiling works when napping.

5 minutes ago, BruceH-NZ said:

Isn't La Rochelle is being renamed for the day?  (Attempt at a comeback, an embarrassing cut and paste incident. :o  My bad.)  

Agreed. Wondering how foiling works when napping.

I did read about the foiling scows having softer "landings' than the more standard boats. Sort of envision a stone skipping across the water. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

I did read about the foiling scows having softer "landings' than the more standard boats. Sort of envision a stone skipping across the water. 

Agreed. You don't want to go down the mine at speed, ever, on Mini.

The designs have changed a lot in the last 15 years.

Image result for chris sayer mini transat navman

• Like 1

Not sure how on the pace Seair is, but it's a good picture of 2019 thinking.

Related image

Those publicity pictures were from 2 years ago. The boat has done nothing of significance since and is for sale. 

10 hours ago, Miffy said:

Those publicity pictures were from 2 years ago. The boat has done nothing of significance since and is for sale. 

I'm playing catchup. Was involved managing the sponsorship back in 1999.

Am trying to get over these bows.

MjAxOTA2ZTBiYWE0ZmJjYmVkYzcxYmUzM2UxYWRlYTZmNmM0YTY?width=940&height=0&focuspoint=50%2C50&cropresize=1&client_id=cmsfront&sign=f17a31399afbaa82ad8ea6c9c1904f0f05f6a1af77dc398cbc9ef1c6b33f1333

1 hour ago, BruceH-NZ said:

I'm playing catchup. Was involved managing the sponsorship back in 1999.

Am trying to get over these bows.

MjAxOTA2ZTBiYWE0ZmJjYmVkYzcxYmUzM2UxYWRlYTZmNmM0YTY?width=940&height=0&focuspoint=50%2C50&cropresize=1&client_id=cmsfront&sign=f17a31399afbaa82ad8ea6c9c1904f0f05f6a1af77dc398cbc9ef1c6b33f1333

love that huge rig. one of the coolest classes ever.

865 and 945 have been inseparable at the top of the fleet all season, with the exception of the Fastnet where Axel pulled out a bigger lead so the Transat could go either way, the foilers have yet to make much of an impact but the Pogo Foiler is very new, but will have to wait until 2021 for a shot at the transat

Rubs salt into the wound of not having been able to qualify in time as I'd probably have been high up enough to have been one of the extra admitted :(

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Rubs salt into the wound of not having been able to qualify in time as I'd probably have been high up enough to have been one of the extra admitted :(

:(

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Bummer, hopefully you will be able to get the pieces in place for 2021. It is truly a very special event

• Like 2

#967 Pogo foiler is qualified ..that was unexpected. I see this boat to win if all is going well.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, troll99 said:

#967 Pogo foiler is qualified ..that was unexpected. I see this boat to win if all is going well.

He asked for an received dispensation to sail an additional qualifying course, will be interesting to see versus the current top boats!

18 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

He asked for an received dispensation to sail an additional qualifying course, will be interesting to see versus the current top boats!

Yes it was the last minute. It did well in Transcoigne, particularly in light winds. It was very close to #800. So drag is no problem.

In stable trade winds, it could extend the lead easily but reliability is not his strong card at the  moment. Top trio are 969, 865 and 945. 

3 hours ago, troll99 said:

Yes it was the last minute. It did well in Transcoigne, particularly in light winds. It was very close to #800. So drag is no problem.

In stable trade winds, it could extend the lead easily but reliability is not his strong card at the  moment. Top trio are 969, 865 and 945. 

I'm crossing my fingers for Axel and 945!

Hmm, interesting to calculate what happens if you split the bulb weight in 3 , and ad 1/3 to a foil :)
Damn stability with ballast in worst place rules though...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

Hmm, interesting to calculate what happens if you split the bulb weight in 3 , and ad 1/3 to a foil :)

Not much air time in the video and so new they probably have a lot to learn on settings.  Should be interesting to follow them.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, JonRowe said:

I'm crossing my fingers for Axel and 945!

He deserves it as he did build everything from the scratch which is impressive. 

On 9/11/2019 at 1:53 PM, LeoV said:

Hm it's better avoid drag in foils than add weight in these. Why not generate lift with longer foils shafts which gives more stability. 3m beam rule makes it more complicated though.  I like the idea of C foils so you can put inside within the 3 meter rule. 

I believe more on longer shafts. For foil bulb style , you'd stuck with 1/3 weight on wrong side.

Apologies if this has been posted before.  Mainsail luffs and they crash but still impressive.

• Like 1