Well, if teams previously said they were going to launch AC75s in August, is IS August and so they should have them around now, anyway?  One would think the CoR would have some happy blurb about shipping the better- than-ever supplied parts to show their competence...no reason I can think of for stealth mode wrt shipping them out.

Unless they tried testing them attached to the foil cant system and the assembly ripped apart or something? 

Tick tock. 

19 hours ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

Assuming Ineos are going to launch their boat during Cowes week 2019, I would think they already have them.

Unless I have this wrong!?

Not even close to getting out for Cowes week as I hear.  Or is it Cowes2020?

1 hour ago, Colomba said:

The tuesday episode, feel free to check it out yourselves.

Sorry, episode of what? Ehman's vlog from 23 July? Or the 16 July article?

Cheers,

Earl

3 hours ago, GBH said:

Not even close to getting out for Cowes week as I hear.  Or is it Cowes2020?

I imagine you're right.... Was living in hope....

Ill just have to admire Alex's new boat instead for the coming weeks/years

Strange how the Kiwi's are missing from this thread and yet they are all prattling on over in the SGP thread.

6 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Strange how the Kiwi's are missing from this thread and yet they are all prattling on over in the SGP thread.

Whats the point? No one knows where the arms are, no one ever knew where the arms were, and no one will ever know where the arms are until boats are launched...so whats the point? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pusslicker said:

This Kiwi is content to skim past all the shit slinging and wait for something relevant to comment on!

I see Fourourselves beat me to the punch, so  .....  what he said!

19 hours ago, Colomba said:

The tuesday episode, feel free to check it out yourselves.

That's what I (and likely others) would like to do, posting a link would life simpler and avoid posts asking for your source.

The most recent Sailing Illustrated AC news article was posted on Thursday, 8 August and contains a video from Tuesday, 6 August.

Anyhow, in episode #208 lasting 1:39:07, the AC news starts at about 1:16:40. Tom Ehman says "the foils" (presumably meaning the foil arms) have been delayed until the end of August, maybe into September. No explanation is provided.

• Like 2

I love how Tom Ehman says Stuff! He is just like me - an prolly Outcast who knows nothing and struggles to even get near people because they see him coming and run the other way! What a snark they are those people!!

I love how in the absence of access to any information he just works from rumors and half-truths that people have fed him for a laugh and so that he'd leave them the fuck alone!

I love how we scoff at others living in the past, yet we get our information from a geriatric old toad who acts like he's suffering from early onset alzheimers! Sad!

On 8/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, NeedAClew said:

Unless they tried testing them attached to the foil cant system and the assembly ripped apart or something? 

Tick tock. 

Still harping on this. They showed static testing of the arm. But did they ever attach one onto a FCS and fling it around every 15 seconds? Then with a foil sized weight?  You'd think so...but maybe not? 

On 8/8/2019 at 3:27 AM, RobG said:

That's what I (and likely others) would like to do, posting a link would life simpler and avoid posts asking for your source.

The most recent Sailing Illustrated AC news article was posted on Thursday, 8 August and contains a video from Tuesday, 6 August.

Anyhow, in episode #208 lasting 1:39:07, the AC news starts at about 1:16:40. Tom Ehman says "the foils" (presumably meaning the foil arms) have been delayed until the end of August, maybe into September. No explanation is provided.

I think I heard TE also say (#208, Aug 9) that while the Foil Arms have arrived, the arms have now started delaminating.

Teams will be attempting to do repairs themselves, and measurers will have to dbl-check those repairs for complicity. 

The LR launch slide from Aug 25 to Sep 9 is in large part due to the late arrival of the foil arms; one wonders if theirs have already been repaired for the delam problems - perhaps creating a roadmap for what other teams will now have to try do too, to the ones they recently received. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I think I heard TE also say (#208, Aug 9) that while the Foil Arms have arrived, the arms have now started delaminating. 

Delaminated?  Just lying around (surely not) or once dynamically loaded? Isn't it usually shear? What a cluster..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Delamination ? we don't at what extent but that seems to be the hell of a problem.

Duh, yea!   That has to have a direct effect on the structural integrity of the arms.   Makes you wonder about the quality of the work done to build the arms.  If it is showing up in one area, how can you trust that it isn’t also happening in other areas.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Duh, yea!   That has to have a direct effect on the structural integrity of the arms.   Makes you wonder about the quality of the work done to build the arms.  If it is showing up in one area, how can you trust that it isn’t also happening in other areas.  

For all we know it's a final finishing coat and nothing to do with the structure at all.  But given the teams all seem to still be working towards sailing in the near future I'm guessing it's not the sky is falling scenario some here are predicting.

At this point we don't even have any real evidence of the issue at all, we have second hand information that it might require checking for compliance after remediation, which literally tells us nothing other than the fact some material of some type might be removed or added during the process.

The teams aren't under any gag orders of any type are they? If there was a genuine issue they wanted known they would be entitled to tell us right?

Hahahaha WTF! Its amazing how those who are hoping, preying for those arms to fail, or break or what ever take one little comment, one tiny passing comment and suddenly the arms are breaking all over the place, the structural integrity is failing and the arms are a huge failure! Jesus! Just be patient people! The arms will be fine!

1 hour ago, Herfy said:

What area? What has failed? in what way has the structural integrity been affected? WTF? Sounds more like you're hoping, praying, desperately wanting those arms to fail. Not going to happen.

I don't know about you guys but for some reason I've got a sudden hankering for Kalamata Olive Croutons...

• Like 5

Its like being back at school. Its Chinese whispers in here! A kid tells his friend he has stubbed his toe, then half an hour later, that story has blown up, and that kid has now had his foot amputated and is on his death bed! SMH

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

I don't know about you guys but for some reason I've got a sudden hankering for Kalamata Olive Croutons...

Yeah. WTF was that about?!

And who is the mascot sitting in the corner?

What's the drop-dead latest the arms can be delivered and we still have the regatta on time? I mean, we are 8-months out from the "world" series, 17-months from the challenger series, and 19-months from the AC. 

Whether or not something has been delivered, what I await with bated but not held breath is a photo of an AC75, any AC75, with two entire foil arm assemblies (foil, arm, fcs) bolted or superglued or whatever they do to a hull AND the boat floating with same.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Whether or not something has been delivered, what I await with bated but not held breath is a photo of an AC75, any AC75, with two entire foil arm assemblies (foil, arm, fcs) bolted or superglued or whatever they do to a hull AND the boat floating with same.

Don't we all...

• Like 1

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

Junk Arms still not delivered. Pathetic!

Junk F50's, still crap. Pathetic!

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

You left out Duct tape and fencing wire, it’s handy when the bolts and glue run out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Junk Arms still not delivered. Pathetic!

Jeez, you really are a whiny little fuck at times! 

26 minutes ago, mad said:

You're the master of understatement.

3 hours ago, mad said:

Jeez, you really are a whiny little fuck at ALL times! 

fixed

7 hours ago, mad said:

At least it isn't Oracle delivering the arms 6 months late or we would be listening to a lot of whiny little Kiwi fucks.

• Like 3

So what about the foils? Arms are one thing, but development opportunities are in foils. Maybe the quietness has nothing to do with foil arms.

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

At least it isn't Oracle delivering the arms 6 months late or we would be listening to a lot of whiny little Kiwi fucks.

Instead we are listening to a whole lot of "I don't have a horse in the race but ill moan about every little fucking thing even if i have to make things up" little fucks like you.

14 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Yep, six months is a massive delay.

As RG has written about, while very bad for all 4 teams it is relatively better for the Defender and for their buddies at LR, than for the 3 Challengers, given how the late foil arms and so the late B1 launches mean that the Defender is entering spring and summer in Auckland, Sardinia is good year-round, but the Magicians and the Frackers will be forced to move their B1 development workups to locales far away from their home bases. This 6 month delay is a bitch! 

TNZ was supposed to wait longer to launch their boat as they have to race later, so their boat will probably be ready when the arms are provided. They won't be impacted while the others are directly penalized of 6 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

TNZ was supposed to wait longer to launch their boat as they have to race later, so their boat will probably be ready when the arms are provided. They won't be impacted while the others are directly penalized of 6 months.

How does the delay impact LR? Same as the other challengers right?

Glad to see someone got the message…

Urgent.png.1713ddb52e8587793cc24157bbb27cc2.png

The ETNZ facebook page says “the pressure is on” …to get them prepared and installed so we can put our AC75 in the water and go sailing as soon as possible."

Does that mean ETNZ has a complete hull that is ready to go but for the arms? 

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

ETNZ have been "penalised" 2 months.

3 hours ago, Rskiff said:

I love unboxing videos.

So, previous form suggests this was shot a few days ago. They talk about “a couple of weeks” of night and day shifts to get them ready. Sounds like they might be ready next weekend? What on earth do they need to work on for two weeks?

No other teams have announced the arrival of theirs. Let’s assume that ETNZ have theirs first.

They’ve unpacked them in Albany (?) away from the base, suggesting that the hull may still be there for a fitting prior to transporting it to the base. You wouldn’t install them and then move them. 

What’s with the trailing half of the arm? Is that the delamination that @dg_sailingfan is getting all frothed up about, or is it a matt finish to accept another surface finish? Team colours?

Let’s just hope we see some bloody sailing some time soon. 

22 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No other teams have announced the arrival of theirs. Let’s assume that ETNZ have theirs first.

Actually Shoebridge had previously stated ETNZ had put themselves last in line... One would assume that is still the case. :-)

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@sportsroom/2019/06/24/649913/americas-cup-cheat-sheet-two-years-on

36 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

What’s with the trailing half of the arm? Is that the delamination that @dg_sailingfan is getting all frothed up about, or is it a matt finish to accept another surface finish? Team colours?

As per Class Rule you are allowed to attach fairings to the arms BUT can't remove any of the existing arm material. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xZRwGU-q4zGlD1jfStdY2kpzVB9PM96w/view) I suspect whatever fairings need to be attached need to key to a rough surface, but you do get to sand yourself.

1693914560_ScreenShot2019-08-14at6_22_36PM.png.95e5920b744e239760435336cc96a40a.png

The grain effect makes it looks like they've cut into the fibre layers...

The next evolution of sailing is about to begin. This is TRULY sailing redefined and reimagined.

• Like 1

Hey one my mates is in the vid, now I can give him shit for being a smurf 

What a pathetic vid, do they really think we are a bunch of incels jerking off watching some dude unbox his blow up doll

1 hour ago, toad said:

What a pathetic vid, do they really think we are a bunch of incels jerking off watching some dude unbox his blow up doll

You're kidding right? These pages are filled with fat bald fanbots yanking on their cocks and jizzing out epoxy. I know this because I myself produce part B.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

What’s with the trailing half of the arm? Is that the delamination that @dg_sailingfan is getting all frothed up about, or is it a matt finish to accept another surface finish?

Delamination has obviously been fixed with yellow tape.

Sanding/machining exterior laminate is unusual. I guess it's up to the teams to finish the job.

There is a very severe machined taper on edge of metal which is  bit unusual but arms are made from inside out i would guess so have to be machined to be a accurate for attachment of fairings and to be all the same and to the drawring/spec/weight

• Like 1

To me, it looks like the laminate is machined down to speck. That’s a thick piece of carbon. Any metal inside?

51 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

To me, it looks like the laminate is machined down to speck. That’s a thick piece of carbon. Any metal inside?

Multilayer sandwich of carbon and foam - earlier in this thread you should find section drawings.

I will tell you lot this, the boat according to a bit of goss around the waterfront, is nothing like in media package..... Standby to be blown away

It looks like the hinge part slides over the foil and is held in position by the brackets either side. I assume it's like this in order to get the arm in. 

3 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

To me, it looks like the laminate is machined down to speck. 

I believe this is standard practice for highly stressed, thin fins and centerboards. The sandwich structures are built up over two female molds, which are then joined by male lamination over the entire perimeter and final machining of the external surface

1 hour ago, toad said:

I will tell you lot this, the boat according to a bit of goss around the waterfront, is nothing like in media package..... Standby to be blown away

Yup , same I've heard. Not long now

6 hours ago, toad said:

Scow

8 hours ago, toad said:

Did they incorporate retractable outriggers to keep it from capsizing?

9 hours ago, toad said:

I think the same might be said about the British team. 

^^^^^^^^^^ x 2

The Titanium socket to attach the hydrofoils with is quite a chunk of metal - be interesting to see how they fair that intersection in (Dillets/Fillets, squashed Torpedos etc). 

On 8/15/2019 at 5:15 AM, toad said:

I'm thinking along hte lines of:

• high speed sailing is similar to low speed flying
  • scow-ish
  • aero drag reduction
  • aircraft fuselage rather than boat hull

probably a scowy-bulbous bow

either a pin-tail transom or scow-ish transom (similar to everything else, but maybe thinner)

Will be interesting to see, I can't wait...

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

• scow-ish
  • aero drag reduction

either a pin-tail transom or scow-ish transom (similar to everything else, but maybe thinner)

One starts imagining things like ground-effect designs and diffusers... B)

4 hours ago, Ncik said:

either a pin-tail transom…

Not allowed, the transom must be between 2 and 2.5 metres wide (rule 11.5 a and b). At the waterline and below, the boats will be pretty conventional (in the same way IMOCAs are conventional). It's above the waterline (measurement waterline plan or MWP) that they can get creative.

8 hours ago, Ncik said:

• scow-ish
  • aero drag reduction

You mean an ekranoplan?

C1C04AE3-D742-4179-9AB0-96FC47093DFB.jpeg

LOL....wasn't impressed with the crates

5 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

You mean an ekranoplan?

C1C04AE3-D742-4179-9AB0-96FC47093DFB.jpeg

Without the nuclear powered cruise missiles.

And a WIG dinghy that can transition from Land, to water to air, in order to get to your WIG (Wing In Ground effect) racer/cruiser!

Get WIGgy with it!

- Stumbling

Have you been hiding under a rock? This is far more modern...ignoring all connotations of "modern" that relate to being "better"...

For those that fear the AC75s are a death trap, I present exhibit A.

:wacko:

Edit...It looks like the previous post had the original design of this thing.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, Forourselves said:

Instead we are listening to a whole lot of "I don't have a horse in the race but ill moan about every little fucking thing even if i have to make things up" little fucks like you.

What did I make up?

On 8/13/2019 at 8:23 PM, RobG said:

Glad to see someone got the message…

Urgent.png.1713ddb52e8587793cc24157bbb27cc2.png

The ETNZ facebook page says “the pressure is on” …to get them prepared and installed so we can put our AC75 in the water and go sailing as soon as possible."

Does that mean ETNZ has a complete hull that is ready to go but for the arms? 

Please stick to regulation yellow for any lines drawn on a screenshot here.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Please stick to regulation yellow for any lines drawn on a screenshot here.

Sorry, but my copy of the SA Markup Manual v0.1 says yellow is for scantlings and boat features. Red is reserved for miscellaneous noteworthy observations not requiring correction (blue is for errors). That might be modified in v 0.2, maybe I don't have the latest edition?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RobG said:

Sorry, but my copy of the SA Markup Manual v0.1 says yellow is for scantlings and boat features. Red is reserved for miscellaneous noteworthy observations not requiring correction (blue is for errors). That might be modified in v 0.2, maybe I don't have the latest edition?

A post here would be useful please. 

On 8/17/2019 at 7:01 AM, RobG said:

the transom must be between 2 and 2.5 metres wide (rule 11.5 a and b).

Uh? Shouldn’t it be Rule 10.8 i.e. at least 2 m from perimeter line to LCP, so 4 m min. transom width?

I recall someone.from the rule makers mentioning that the transom would be wider than the rudder foil, so that anybody falling overboard wouldn’t be sliced in half

16 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I recall someone.from the rule makers mentioning that the transom would be wider than the rudder foil, so that anybody falling overboard wouldn’t be sliced in half

Funny,I have rule 16 rudder in front of me...rudder bits shall not extend more that 1.5 m each side of LCP. so, yes, should be pretty hard to get in front of any sharp bits back there. 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:04 AM, Xlot said:

Uh? Shouldn’t it be Rule 10.8 i.e. at least 2 m from perimeter line to LCP, so 4 m min. transom width?

Yes, sorry, 2 m either side of LCP, so min 4 m wide (though in v1.1 of the rule it's 11.5 (a)).