Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Pete Seeger

A powerful song writer, a good banjo picker, and had a great voice as well.  He was one of the giants.

I wonder if Cal20Sailor realizes how many people covered Seegers songs.  I mean the poor guy didn't know 'till now that Duane "Skydog" Allman played slide guitar on Layla.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

Man I loved his music.

His politics were further to the left than Bernie Sanders and AOC combined. Even by today's standards he was on the fringe. Still, I saw him a couple of times when I was younger and he was a great musician. I just have grown more conservative as I have aged. 

5 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

His politics were further to the left than Bernie Sanders and AOC combined. Even by today's standards he was on the fringe. Still, I saw him a couple of times when I was younger and he was a great musician. I just have grown more conservative as I have aged. 

No argument with any of that.....although I find I’m drifting left as I age.....but I’m still slightly right of center I think.

• Like 1

Sorry, when I hear about Pete Seeger I tend to remember this.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, Ed Lada said:

A powerful song writer, a good banjo picker, and had a great voice as well.  He was one of the giants.

I wonder if Cal20Sailor realizes how many people covered Seegers songs.  I mean the poor guy didn't know 'till now that Duane "Skydog" Allman played slide guitar on Layla.  

lets bring it all together...seeger, Ed and BRUUUUUUCCE

• Like 1

Everybody knows that Bruce is a closet Commie.  Hell, he had Tom Morello tour with his band for a year.   Bruce often comments on his admirtation of Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie and often covers their songs.  Of course Bruce is worth more than a hundred million dollars, but his ideals are still good.

Bruce does his best here to channel Seeger and Guthrie with some help from John Steinbeck.  Add some incendiary guitar work from Morello and it adds up to quite a powerful song. 

Speaking of angry songs and Tom Morello, another of my favorites.  This song came out about 20 years too late for me, but it's really never to late to get your rage on.

Pete was a good friend...........he lived about 5 miles from me and I saw him often.,   for a few years , he came to my school I taught at and sang with the kids.  We opened the Walkway over the Hudson Bridge with my students sining with him

2060408131_PeteSeeger2.thumb.jpg.ba987c11132719ddae83d757bb0c091b.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Rum Runner said:

"This land is your land, this land is my land" yeah what a radical leftist idea...... imagine thinking that people should be equal!

- DSK

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

"This land is your land, this land is my land" yeah what a radical leftist idea...... imagine thinking that people should be equal!

- DSK

No shit, if those folks don't like America, then let them go back where they came from!   

I think I heard that recently, I forget where.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

Pete was a good friend...........he lived about 5 miles from me and I saw him often.,   for a few years , he came to my school I taught at and sang with the kids.  We opened the Walkway over the Hudson Bridge with my students sining with him

Damn, you are one lucky guy!  Lucky students too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dacapo said:

I remember he dId a concert for a school in NYC, I assume he turned down the $220 budget that they had for the concert.

He was obviously a huge softie for the children. He walked the walk. 

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

That song was bastardized by us punk kids in the 1970s, we knew how things worked in the real world, apparently ...

This land is my land, this land ain't your land, I got a shotgun, and you don't got one. I'll blow your head off, if you don't get off, this land was made for only me.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

That song was bastardized by us punk kids in the 1970s, we knew how things worked in the real world, apparently ...

This land is my land, this land ain't your land, I got a shotgun, and you don't got one. I'll blow your head off, if you don't get off, this land was made for only me.

Ist theire a emoji forre "compleate bullshitte", juste wonderreng.                                              :)              

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist theire a emoji forre "compleate bullshitte", juste wonderreng.                                              :)              

Now I'm flattered that you think I could invent such a inspired bit of parody on my own.

But our version was probably seditiously muttered by a couple hundred thousand kids, and they were all over the country ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:This_Land_Is_Your_Land go to "popular parody"

10 hours ago, mikewof said:

In the 1970s you say?  According to the link you posted below, somebody said they heard Woody Guthrie sing that version in the 1960s.  I think Snaggs is on to smething.  No emoji necessary though, your name on the post is warning enough.

12 hours ago, mikewof said:

Mikey, you were born in 1967.  In 1979 you would have been 12 years old.  I can't imagine that you had any influence on anything that was happening in the punk movement in the '70s, except maybe in your very fertile imagination.  Your knowledge of the real world at the time was limited to the high plains of Manhattan, or maybe it was Colorado, where your grandfather sat in a lawn chair in the bed of his highly customized Chevy/Porsche/VW turbocharged pickup truck, shooting snow leopards under power lines, while dodging bike messengers that were delivering portable solar stills.  Or maybe that was when you first formed your friendship with Reid Stowe as he sailed the schooner Anne up the Colorado River while on his record setting solo inland circumnavigation of the US, as you shared beers with him on her foredeck.  Or something like that.  It's all so confusing.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Image result for bullshit emoji

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Mikey, you were born in 1967.  In 1979 you would have been 12 years old.  I can't imagine that you had any influence on anything that was happening in the punk movement in the '70s, except maybe in your very fertile imagination.  Your knowledge of the real world at the time was limited to the high plains of Manhattan, or maybe it was Colorado, where your grandfather sat in a lawn chair in the bed of his highly customized Chevy/Porsche/VW turbocharged pickup truck, shooting snow leopards under power lines, while dodging bike messengers that were delivering portable solar stills.  Or maybe that was when you first formed your friendship with Reid Stowe as he sailed the schooner Anne up the Colorado River while on his record setting solo inland circumnavigation of the US, as you shared beers with him on her foredeck.  Or something like that.  It's all so confusing.

Related image

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

WTF? I just wrote that we used to sing that seditious version. I have no idea which young punk kid made up the words, nor did I claim that I did.

Your detailed knowledge about my life is incredibly creepy. Are you okay?

You seem like a good guy, be very concerned about walking the path of Mikewof obsession like Mad or Bull Gator. It can't end well.

Anyway, how did you find all of those details of my life? Did you research that on Google? Does that level of obsession perhaps indicate a fragile emotional state? To quote JBSF about Bull Gator's similar level of obsession ... "creeeeepy."

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

WTF? I just wrote that we used to sing that seditious version. I have no idea which young punk kid made up the words, nor did I claim that I did.

Your detailed knowledge about my life is incredibly creepy. Are you okay?

You seem like a good guy, be very concerned about walking the path of Mikewof obsession like Mad or Bull Gator. It can't end well.

Anyway, how did you find all of those details of my life? Did you research that on Google? Does that level of obsession perhaps indicate a fragile emotional state? To quote JBSF about Bull Gator's similar level of obsession ... "creeeeepy."

Sure Mike, whatever.  Everything I wrote about you was gleaned from your rather extensive body of work on these pages.  36,000 posts puts you among the more prolific posters here, perhaps you have forgotten many of the details of your life that you have revealed to us.  For example that thing you really like that your wife does for you on special occasions.  I mean yeah, she's into yoga but wow...  One good thing you could do is stay away from the liquor and the weed when you post here, eh?

You are an SA legend Mike.  Maybe not in the way you would like, but legendary indeed.

30 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Sure Mike, whatever.  Everything I wrote about you was gleaned from your rather extensive body of work on these pages.  36,000 posts puts you among the more prolific posters here, perhaps you have forgotten many of the details of your life that you have revealed to us.  For example that thing you really like that your wife does for you on special occasions.  I mean yeah, she's into yoga but wow...  One good thing you could do is stay away from the liquor and the weed when you post here, eh?

You are an SA legend Mike.  Maybe not in the way you would like, but legendary indeed.

You wrote details about me that I've never posted here. I'm okay with you doing that, my life isn't that interesting that I care about stalkers, but it can't be healthy.

You seem like a good guy, maybe be wary of the path of Mad and Bull Gator? It seems to not end well.

42 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You wrote details about me that I've never posted here. I'm okay with you doing that, my life isn't that interesting that I care about stalkers, but it can't be healthy.

You seem like a good guy, maybe be wary of the path of Mad and Bull Gator? It seems to not end well.

Mr Leggend!

Mr_Legend.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You're repeating yourself Mike.  yes, I am a pretty nice guy, it's true.  Probably my greatest fault is I can be a little verbose on occasion, but nobody is perfect.  

I didn't write anything that you haven't talked about here except possibly your year of birth.  I certainly wouldn't search the internet for info about you, I am not a stalker as you seem to think.  Should I choose to Google your name, I am sure there would be a wealth of information, you seem to be a very public guy.  OK, the bit about the snow leopards you didn't write about here, I made it up.  Actually it was a deer if I recall correctly.  Are you happy?

Gator didn't get banned for stalking you and Mad is still alive and well on this site.  Being compared to Mad is a compliment in my book.

Like I said earlier Mike, perhaps a little less PUI will enable you to remeber some of the things you tell us here.

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

You're repeating yourself Mike.  yes, I am a pretty nice guy, it's true.  Probably my greatest fault is I can be a little verbose on occasion, but nobody is perfect.  

I didn't write anything that you haven't talked about here except possibly your year of birth. I certainly wouldn't search the internet for info about you, I am not a stalker as you seem to think.  Should I choose to Google your name, I am sure there would be a wealth of information, you seem to be a very public guy.  OK, the bit about the snow leopards you didn't write about here, I made it up.  Actually it was a deer if I recall correctly.  Are you happy?

Gator didn't get banned for stalking you and Mad is still alive and well on this site.  Being compared to Mad is a compliment in my book.

Like I said earlier Mike, perhaps a little less PUI will enable you to remeber some of the things you tell us here.

I remember what I post here. It's unnerving when someone else apparently catalogues it. And I've no idea how you gathered the personal information up there, I prefer not to know lest you get angry and post my Social Security number.

I have to disengage from you in this thread, it's that "creeepy" thing. You somehow managed to turn a thread on Pete Seeger into something uncomfortable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikewof said:

I remember he dId a concert for a school in NYC, I assume he turned down the $220 budget that they had for the concert.

He was obviously a huge softie for the children. He walked the walk. 

He also did an album that was nominated for a Grammy with the students from Sargent Elementary school in Beacon New York singing 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Mike seems to forget his history of gleaning details of others here and then throwing it in their face at times. 

Strange stone to throw when you live in a glasshouse. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mr Leggend!

Mr_Legend.png

The only time I see Wofseys posts is when he’s quoted, so I’m not sure how I’m dragged into the comments above. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

The only time I see Wofseys posts is when he’s quoted, so I’m not sure how I’m dragged into the comments above. 

That's kind of sad .. so you have me on ignore, but you still mention me constantly. You got it bad for me, poor guy.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Mike seems to forget his history of gleaning details of others here and then throwing it in their face at times.

If that was true it would be amusing. But given that you you made it up about someone whom you supposedly have on ignore, it's just kind of sad.

Anyway, SA doesn't disappoint ... a fella thinks it's time to show a little Pete Seeger tribute and a dumb-ass shitfight breaks out between a gaggle of idiots. (I'm one of the idiots too apparently, for taking the bait.)

23 hours ago, mikewof said:

(I'm one of the idiots too apparently, for taking the bait.)

Common Mickey, hi-browe BS nowe?  you our hearre with us, an we our hearre with you.  It cane worke.  SA ist three carde montey, and you diddentte picke the ritte carde.                          :)

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 5:33 PM, mikewof said:

If that was true it would be amusing. But given that you you made it up about someone whom you supposedly have on ignore, it's just kind of sad.

Anyway, SA doesn't disappoint ... a fella thinks it's time to show a little Pete Seeger tribute and a dumb-ass shitfight breaks out between a gaggle of idiots. (I'm one of the idiots too apparently, for taking the bait.)

Have to admit Mikie, you do know how to screw up a one car funeral....  good on you mate...  :lol:

• Like 2

• Like 4

Mid, I remember my parents coming home from the ‘64 Newport Folk Festival raving about this kid named Dylan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

My Dad used to sing this to me

Not taking anything away from Pete, but “Little Boxes” was written by Malvina Reynolds, who also wrote “What Have They Done with the Rain.” She was a fierce political activist, born 1900 died 1978.

• Like 1