Sign in to follow this  
nolatom

“PTC-2” Louisiana coast

This is wrong. We’re not supposed to get hurricane threats til late August, and the Mississippi River is supposed to drop to near-sea level by July.  

Nuh-uh, dawlin’, and in a big way, on both counts.  River still way high,  16 feet above sea level at New Orleans, and a big TD coming at us retrograde from the northeast.  It will “dam up’ the river distributaries with coastal storm surge, spiking the gauge to 20’ by Friday.  Levees go out of warranty at about 21’.  This is going to be close.   Might not affect the lake Marinas and sailboats there too badly, but ships may be ordered not to get underway in the river lest their wake overtop the levees.

on a personal note, I am now the proud owner of a wet/dry vac.  Deluge this morning,  car parked wrong place wrong time near downtown, Magazine Street underwater.   Good news— it didn’t quite reach the seats so just a bailing job (my first with a car). Then the shop vac.

Hope I don’t need it for the house, next few days will tell.  

In parts of Tokyo, back about ten years ago they invested infrastructure to create massive underground cisterns for water to be pumped and moved to so flooding is reduced/averted. 

In the US, we've pissed away that time on DDGX and littoral combat ship and other unicorn programs. 

• Like 1

Anyone pull the plug on the Bonne Carre spillway yet? I had heard people blaming the algae bloom from the larger than normal Gulf 'dead zone' on the opening of the Spillway earlier this year allowing all the nutrients from the floods up river further East that normal for the beach closings in Mississippi. 

Starting to sound like the old '

butterfly flaps its wings in the rainforest and causes a hurricane half way around the world' fable.

Image result for butterfly flaps its wings in the rainforest and causes a hurricane

Roll up your trouser cuffs Tom! Good luck. I used to live in the shadow of the levee down just off the end of Oak Street around the corner from the Maple leaf so I understand your concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nolatom said:

This is wrong. We’re not supposed to get hurricane threats til late August, and the Mississippi River is supposed to drop to near-sea level by July.  

Remember Audrey 

5 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Remember Audrey 

As I was only 3 at the time, I don't remember Audrey. 500 dead?

People in our little part of the state (Caney Creek Lake) are already wailing and knashing their teeth over this storm. Yes, major hurricanes are still hurricanes when the get to north Louisiana.  So, it can be bad, but...the folks most unhappy built their lake homes and very extensive/expensive boat docks too low. Now, they want public funds to “bail” them out ( pun definitely intended )  

our little cottage on the lake...high and dry. 

4BF4B45C-4649-4ABB-B1B7-8E52F9CA5AAF.jpeg

FA87F445-1234-4AB3-A8DC-DDEEF1F16D22.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I was seven and I remember Audrey like it was yesterday.  More scared than any day i spent in Vietnam.  Alls i new wa the radio reports of this hurricane and hundreds dead and it was cloudy, windy, rain soaked and cold.  I wanted to get the heck out of Louisiana on that day.  (We were due to leave to visit my father’s parents at Cedar Lake, Indiana the next day). That night, the winds came and there was plenty of damage.  What we believed was the eye passed and everything settled.  Driving north the next morning we passed plenty of damage.  June 27, 1957.   

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

Something about that second shot does not shout out Louisiana to me. WTF?

A rare, rare snowstorm.  Could not find another picture of our waterfront except pictures from the great flood of 2016

as said, looking out of our living room, alls one could see was water, but we still had ten feet or more before our home would be theatened

E4B53FB5-9B25-48A8-9684-03718CACDA1E.jpeg

61B7886C-1E05-4411-BA5F-BB894F50993F.jpeg

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Nightly news would be better with an overdramtic live orchestra.

There’s An Environmental Disaster Unfolding In The Gulf of Mexico
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mississippi-louisiana-gulf-coast-environmental-disaster_n_5d262c42e4b0583e482b28ed

5d26363c2400009d17935293.jpeg.6081b0d24013f0387389cb85397df59f.jpeg

“We are experiencing a Cat 5 aquatic hurricane,” said Dr. Moby Solangi, director of the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi. Dolphins are particularly vulnerable to incursions of river water, he said. “Every time they open the Bonnet Carre spillway, we see a spike in deaths.” 
[...]
Meanwhile, fishermen know a changing climate is not working in their favor.
Scientists say the Mississippi River is expected to continue to flood in future years as the atmosphere heats up and produces stronger storms and more rainfall. Barry, the storm heading for the coast right now, is the latest to threaten the Gulf ecosystem, but certainly not the last. 

FEMA is putting people on 24 hour alert (means have to be there and working when you get the call).  I love the state and the people but not so much in friggin July. 

• Like 1

It's a lovely day here, puffy clouds in blue sky, 15-20 knots from the NE.    Coast Guard just set "condition X-Ray", no doubt to be followed by Yankee and Zulu over the next day or so.  If you don't know what that means, you're not from hurricane country..

Not many ships underway today, most of those who are leaving have left, the rest hunkered down.   That predicted spike in river height has been reduced from 20' to 19'.  Which may not sound like much, but it is, it really is.

At the marina on the Lake, the new floating docks at West End outer harbor, will get their first try-out, 1 to 3-food rise coming.   This storm will graze New Orleans, wind won't be that bad, but rain and coastal surge might.   Downriver communities have to evacuate, city mostly staying put.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:13 AM, Steam Flyer said:
7 hours ago, nolatom said:

It's a lovely day here, puffy clouds in blue sky, 15-20 knots from the NE.    Coast Guard just set "condition X-Ray", no doubt to be followed by Yankee and Zulu over the next day or so.  If you don't know what that means, you're not from hurricane country..

Same up here, praying you don’t get another Katrina and we sure don’t want another Rita.  

On 7/10/2019 at 6:36 PM, nolatom said:

Nuh-uh, dawlin’, and in a big way, on both counts.  River still way high,  16 feet above sea level at New Orleans, and a big TD coming at us retrograde from the northeast.  It will “dam up’ the river distributaries with coastal storm surge, spiking the gauge to 20’ by Friday.  Levees go out of warranty at about 21’.  This is going to be close.   Might not affect the lake Marinas and sailboats there too badly, but ships may be ordered not to get underway in the river lest their wake overtop the levees.

on a personal note, I am now the proud owner of a wet/dry vac.  Deluge this morning,  car parked wrong place wrong time near downtown, Magazine Street underwater.   Good news— it didn’t quite reach the seats so just a bailing job (my first with a car). Then the shop vac.

We were surfing an approaching hurricane down in Port Fourchon, LA one year. The surf made the long drive down the beach to the pass impossible, but you could make it by driving on top of the spoil levee along a canal.  It was a time to remember, surfing IN the inlet while the oil rig crew boats came in. Unfortunately, on the way driving out a feeder band gust blew the Toyota Tacoma sideways off of the top of the levee, and  the truck began a slow, inexorable slide sideways down the gumbo mud and into the canal. Fuck. Miles out on an abandoned barrier island with an approaching hurricane and the truck is sunk in a canal.  At least we forgot to bring shoes, and were barefoot.

Now, these adventures are best enjoyed with a stout-of-heart companion.  I was aided and abetted on this trip by a surfing buddy who was a SEAL from the Det at Stennis.  He reached into the sunken truck, grabbed a beer, chugged it, said "fuck it" and started jogging towards civilization. Barefoot. Through the marsh. Christ.

I, being more of a water guy and a shitty runner, followed. Barefoot. Hurt like a mothrfkr, if I say so myself. After about a mile and a half, and getting near a road, we come across a couple of drunk local guys (Coon asses, but only if you're from there) in a lifted Chevy 4x4.  Long story short, eventually the Tacoma is more-or-less back on the levy, in a hurricane, and goddamn if it doesn't start. I LOVE Toyotas.

The point of this story is, the truck stank like rotten mud, so on the way home we stopped in a car wash and pressure washed out the INTERIOR. Didn't even use a shop vac. Drove it home laughing, buzzed, and in a hurricane. Truck worked perfectly. After about a month, even the stereo speakers started working.

• Like 2