Grinning Ape

BIRW J/Boat Results ??

Gotta ask - Looking through the final results of BIRW, the late model J/Boats had their asses handed to them.  I've no idea of conditions over the full course of the event.  

ORC2 saw all J/121's at the bottom of the pile, beaten by:
1. Ker 11.5 
2. J/122
3. J/122
4. X-41
The 121's were often beaten on the water as well on corrected.  Even the longer race was marginal.  What's gone wrong there? 

PHRF2 saw the stacked J/99 easily behind:
1. Farr 30
2. Farr 30
3. Carrera 280
Both of these must be 20 year old designs.

Not ragging on these boats, just trying to understand if there were contributing factors.

Can't speak to the 121 but I raced against the 99. The two Farr 30s were professionally stacked as well, just came from their nationals or something, and were pretty wound up all week - like in another zip code fast. The 99 - they were a little miffed to be rated 72 when they felt 75 or 78 (as they've had in other regattas) was closer to the mark. The 99 was fast in the heavy stuff on Tuesday RTI, but seemed pretty sticky once the breeze was below 8. Conditions on Thurs and Fri were basically <8 and very shifty. To be honest, except for some stupid mistakes on our boat we should have beaten them for the week.

Also, the 280 is really well sailed and has a rating that is probably not reflective of the insanely large squaretop they have on the boat. go to photoboat and look at it and you'll see they were easily carrying the most mainsail area of any boat in the class (maybe not the Sabre) on a boat that was almost the smallest (2 Melges 24's). I'm not complaining about the ratings, but it was pretty clear that they were still working through a few things on the 99.

The only thing I heard one person say about the 121 was "underpowered." But I don't think that's a secret.

• Like 1

Credit where credit is due - The J/121's have had some great wins lately.  Once they are in their element offshore, the boat has picked up some good silverware in a number of races.  Well done.

1 constant is the J29 keeps on winning!!

On 7/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Grinning Ape said:

Gotta ask - Looking through the final results of BIRW, the late model J/Boats had their asses handed to them.  I've no idea of conditions over the full course of the event.  

ORC2 saw all J/121's at the bottom of the pile, beaten by:
1. Ker 11.5 
2. J/122
3. J/122
4. X-41
The 121's were often beaten on the water as well on corrected.  Even the longer race was marginal.  What's gone wrong there? 

PHRF2 saw the stacked J/99 easily behind:
1. Farr 30
2. Farr 30
3. Carrera 280
Both of these must be 20 year old designs.

Not ragging on these boats, just trying to understand if there were contributing factors.

I was on the line for ORC2. Its worth considering who was sailing the other boats. The 122 Teamwork was coming off almost a clean sweep at NYYC Annual Regatta and included a very talented Pro tactician. Orion put together quite a crew for the event as well with Libby Greenhalgh, navigator on WOX and Scallywag during the last Volvo. The Ker 11.5 just finished a massive refit and is sailing half professionally and half by students from Webb Institute who put in quite a bit of time on the boat. 

Keep in mind also that the 121 was designed more for offshore performance and its evident in its hull shape. ORC is also a new rule for most of the fleet and many have not figured out optimizing to it yet. Overall, I found the racing to be very competitive. The RC did a reasonably good job with the courses and with the new rating system. This was my first BIRW and I will certainly be back for more.

IMG_4608.jpg