jacobsen1

Talk to me about melges 20s?

Recommended Posts

We've moved to MT and are looking for a fun boat to lake sail.  No racing plans at all.  My father is 73 years young.  My kids are 8 and 11.  We've owned a viper 640 and 830, open 5.70, 29er XX, an I-14, etchells and some other fun boats.  We're looking for something fun and fast to day sail only.  The appeal of the melges is it seems like a slightly depowered viper 640?  No hiking straps and a sit in rule.  The lakes typically have 8~12kts.  We raced against a few when we had our viper and I know they're slightly slower around a course but we don't care.  I know a melges 24 needs rail meet so it's out even though they're less expensive.  There are boats in toronto being sold due to VXones ruining the class.  We want something with a chute sock so it's easy to douse.  

Can these be easily sailed solo upwind if depowered correctly?

Deck step mast, easy to rig solo or with 2?  (I'm 6'4" and 230lbs)

Ramp launch-able?

Fun downwind?

Easy to deal with the spinnaker solo (I can sail a 29erXX solo with the chute)?

How many posts before the U20 guys show up... :lol:

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which class did the VX1 ruin?

And while I'm not a 'U20 guy'  it also seems kind of like a de-powered Viper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

according to the three M20s for sale in toronto they've all said their fleet was replaced by VXones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good single handed choice. A bit tender and technical, but a good boat. Your open would be the best choice for single handing of the boats you mentioned, except for maybe the vx1. How about a k6?

Where in MT, Somers? I know a guy next door ready to part with an M20.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Varan said:

Where in MT, Somers? I know a guy next door ready to part with an M20

I'm in Bozeman, boat will be on Canyon Ferry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

There's a nice looking i550 for sale in Polson from the original builder. With the money you would save versus a Melges 20 you can purchase a Finn!

https://missoula.craigslist.org/boa/d/sailboat-i550/6918044604.html

Hey Alan, fancy meeting you here!  You're the IC guy that once owned a viper.  I'm the skier from Bridger and Beehive that we've run into each other twice!  I'll PM you my cell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, jacobsen1 said:

We've moved to MT and are looking for a fun boat to lake sail.  No racing plans at all.  My father is 73 years young.  My kids are 8 and 11.  We've owned a viper 640 and 830, open 5.70, 29er XX, an I-14, etchells and some other fun boats.  We're looking for something fun and fast to day sail only.  The appeal of the melges is it seems like a slightly depowered viper 640?  No hiking straps and a sit in rule.  The lakes typically have 8~12kts.  We raced against a few when we had our viper and I know they're slightly slower around a course but we don't care.  I know a melges 24 needs rail meet so it's out even though they're less expensive.  There are boats in toronto being sold due to VXones ruining the class.  We want something with a chute sock so it's easy to douse.  

Thanks!

Since you mentioned a VX1 I'm assuming you've already thought about that as an option but have a reason why you're looking for other boats?  Seems like it fits many of your criteria. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, Psycho Tiller said:

Since you mentioned a VX1 I'm assuming you've already thought about that as an option but have a reason why you're looking for other boats?  Seems like it fits many of your criteria. 

Dad is 72 and we don't need the fastest option.  VXs and vipers are awesome boats.  Our viper was our favorite OD boat we've owned.  But slightly more of a handful vs the M20 and we like the idea of a M20 having no hiking straps and the baby life lines you hike against.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben,

I sailed the Melges 20 at a couple of regattas and am otherwise a Viper guy as you know.  Pretty sure you can ramp launch a M20 with the right vehicle and ramp.  Seemed like a decent all-up weight was around 530-560 lbs but singlehanded would otherwise be a bit challenging since the cockpit layout is really awkward compared to other boats you've sailed.  That said, I know other people who would say that you can't singlehand a Vector either, so anyone posting here should bear in mind that Ben is an independent thinker who doesn't mind sailing shorthanded.  :-)  Anyway, it could be done if you had a long enough tiller extension and could run around a bit, but racing singlehanded your performance would suffer.  The boats were otherwise a lot slower than I expected and the rig tune is a lot more technical than a Viper but there are a lot of options to depower, and it's otherwise not a super physical boat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thanks.  We are NOT going to race, or at least if we ever did it would be with at least 2 guys and 450+ lbs if not more.  Also, for me single handing will be fine.  Can't be worse than a viper/vector/29erXX.  For my dad he sets wind limits and will sail main only above whatever the right number is so the roller furling jib is a huge plus for us.  I need the chute sock so spinnaker work is easy.  With an auto pilot (or light wind!) I've done the kite on our old 33'er in my profile pic solo... 

 

At this point I keep going between no enough sail area for light breeze (even short handed) -vs- too much as it picks up from videos I'm finding.  So I think we're barking up the right tree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you make up your mind, if it is a Melges 20 you want, there is one in Sandpoint Idaho that has been sitting all covered up on its trailer for a couple of years, just a 6 1/2 hour drive away from you. 

Canyon Ferry also had a sizable fleet of SJ21s if a less sporty boat is an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Varan said:

When you make up your mind, if it is a Melges 20 you want, there is one in Sandpoint Idaho that has been sitting all covered up on its trailer for a couple of years, just a 6 1/2 hour drive away from you.

How do I get more info on that boat?  Is there an ad for it anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacobsen1 said:

How do I get more info on that boat?  Is there an ad for it anywhere?

It is not for sale at the moment, but if you pm me your email or other contact info, I will pass it along to the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 7:05 PM, jacobsen1 said:

How do I get more info on that boat?  Is there an ad for it anywhere?

There are also two for sale in Seattle...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RS21 sounds like it fits the bill for what you're looking for. A new one probably wouldn't be much more than a used Melges 20. I personally think it'd be easier to sail short handed and better for day sailing.

The boat doesn't currently have a dousing line, but we're working on introducing one as an option.  Dropping the spin in the wind range you described is quite easy with one person currently.

@WestCoast has some in stock and is doing demos all over the PNW.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RSsailingNA said:

...

@WestCoast has some in stock and is doing demos all over the PNW.  

Any demos planned for Whidbey Island Race Week, which is next week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ASP said:

There are also two for sale in Seattle...

more info please?  Listings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ASP said:

There are also two for sale in Seattle...

Melges 20s? Quite a few 24s in Seattle, but I only saw one 20, right after they were introduced, but nothing since. Hey, but I am only there occassionally and could easily have missed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our demo RS21 is going to Flathead Lake, MT on Monday, will be there for a few weeks of demos with customers.

It will go over to Sandpoint, ID for demos after that.
 

--
We did a bunch of demos in Seattle last month, including SYC and some programs looking at replacing old keelboat fleets.
We have been toying with the idea of WIRW, but, not firm yet.  Maybe if we brought out all 6 boats, perhaps?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WestCoast said:

Our demo RS21 is going to Flathead Lake, MT on Monday, will be there for a few weeks of demos with customers.

It will go over to Sandpoint, ID for demos after that.
 

--
We did a bunch of demos in Seattle last month, including SYC and some programs looking at replacing old keelboat fleets.
We have been toying with the idea of WIRW, but, not firm yet.  Maybe if we brought out all 6 boats, perhaps?

 

Labor Day is a great time to demo in Sandpoint. U20 nationals and J24 districts are included in this year's Spud Cup. Thistle nationals are this week, but Spud Cup might be better marketing-wise. I will buy the beers if I can drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^

Yeah, we're thinking of Spud Cup as one of the events.

Problem is we only own one demo boat, and there is lots of demand for it... So, making the most of the prime summer weekends to show it off to customers around the West Coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Rocket 22 could fit the bill.  To meet all your specs all you’d want to add is a spin retrieval line and sock.   Since they are launched out of the front hatch (vs cockpit like J70 or M24) it may actually be easier to rig a retrieval line + sock system.    Also, if you are going to reef a lot, and singlehanded, go with a riveted/bolted on mastrack with cars (vs OEM glued on groove track)... It would be easier to hoist alone with cars, the standard main bolt rope requires a 2nd person to feed it in the groove.  

There’s some nearby around W.Canada and trade hands now and then.   We came out of racing hibernation and raced ours at Flathead once this summer and had a great time.   There was an RS21 there (maybe the demo mentioned above?) and it had really clever design features.   A little low and wet for my cold water lake sailing tastes though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I mentioned earlier sold locally, even though it officially was not for sale. Somebody made him an offer he could not refuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now