woodpecker

Awlgrip vs Alexseal

I have been hearing good things about Alexseal.

How does it compare to Awlgrip in durability, longevity and ease of application?

Some of there metallic's are pretty sharp looking.

easier to applicate... seems to flow together more nicely.. isnt as hard/sensitive regarding thickness of the layers as awlgrip... 

dont know about durability.. but it looks awesome...

Feb 10, 2016 - We switched from AwlGrip to Alexseal about 4 years ago. Current product, made by the inventor of AwlGrip, after his non-compete ran out from ...

I tried Alexseal in a 2013 / 14 refit, grey toned deck paint with nonskid. It suffered from color shift,  had some adhesion issues and was somewhat soft which led to a short life.   It all got sanded back and replaced with Awlgrip in a 2017 refit, after maybe 15,000 miles. That has about 17,00 or 18,000 miles on it and is doing pretty well. 

1 guy's experience. 

Boatworks today on Youtube is doing a series on the Alexseal right now.  Seems to recommend highly over awlgrip and tells you why.

So far this thread says: ?????

looks like we need a whole lot more input. 

Maybe the Fixit Anarchy guys have more opinions to offer 

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

So far this thread says: ?????

looks like we need a whole lot more input. 

Maybe the Fixit Anarchy guys have more opinions to offer 

probably about what the "which varnish is best" threads would say...

There are well established materials that with sufficiently careful & thorough (aka Professional)  preparation & application give predictable excellent results.

Alternative materials purport to give similar results, but  have always been shown to come up short, until you have a rare breakthrough. 

For some, the reduced labor & materials savings is a more interesting choice than the best possible finish. 

On 7/14/2019 at 5:15 AM, JxD said:

easier to applicate... seems to flow together more nicely.. isnt as hard/sensitive regarding thickness of the layers as awlgrip... 

dont know about durability.. but it looks awesome...

Did you spray or roll and tip?  

Anybody here used this paint in anger on a commercial re-paint? Gouv? 

I haven’t tried it yet. 

My reaction to new materials has been the same fir the last 35 years. I got burned a few times on the “greatest new stuff ever” and I no longer even try anything until it has been proven by others...

unless...

..the salesman gives me product to try.

In that case I try it out on something that doesn’t matter and maybe in a few years I might buy some if others who have used it give great reviews. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

I haven’t tried it yet. 

My reaction to new materials has been the same fir the last 35 years. I got burned a few times on the “greatest new stuff ever” and I no longer even try anything until it has been proven by others...

unless...

..the salesman gives me product to try.

In that case I try it out on something that doesn’t matter and maybe in a few years I might buy some if others who have used it give great reviews. 

I warn almost all new sales reps straight away not to bother, it only seems fair to them.......also, I’m tired of hearing the pitch. 

Though I would be curious about the paint?

59 minutes ago, mad said:

Did you spray or roll and tip?  

Anybody here used this paint in anger on a commercial re-paint? Gouv? 

Spray

4 minutes ago, JxD said:

Spray

Thanks, what was the original substrate? Assuming you reprimed as well with their product as well.

Can you keep us updated on the durability?  Thanks.