Jules

Is The Thrill Gone?

The first time I stepped aboard a sailboat I was home.  For the next 49 years it was always that way.  This year we bought a boat.  I thought I'd be in heaven but I'm not. 

Most all my sailing was on Lake Michigan.  Cruised Chicago to Mac and back no less than 8 times.  When we got back I always wanted to turn around and just sail away.  It's always been like that.  Until now.

We were out today and hit 7.5 kn SOG.  I didn't care.  All I could think of was heading back home.  This is so strange.  I don't know what it is.

Maybe it's age.  Maybe it's the goddamnfucking Florida heat.  Maybe it's shallow Charlotte Harbor that makes you tack every fucking 10 minutes.  Maybe it's all of that.  All I know is I don't care about sailing now.  This is really weird.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like 1

I have a few suggestions.  First spend most of my life sailing on Lake Michigan although after college moved to Jacksonville, FL for 8yrs and purchased a C&C 33 which for three years lived aboard. I thought both places were great, although in very different ways.

Not sure how long you have lived in Florida but it summer there so yes, tons of heat and humidity is pretty typical (restatement of obvious I know).  You might try sailing at night for one thing.  I remember one of my nicest sails was at night on the St Johns river watching pieces of a Russian Satellite re-enter the atmosphere, a similar look to fireworks embers but they stretched from one horizon to the other-pretty cool.  Am not a fishing expert but hearing what I believe were finger mullet?  jumping around the boat on maybe same night.  Pretty memorable sail even almost 40 years later.

Ever tried to  sail on x-mas day here on Lake Michigan?  Probably for the most part not happening.  On the flip side again one of the nicest memories of my time spent South was taking the 33 out sailing on x-mas day being sunny and 72.

Try not to compare the two experiences.  They are both great but in very different ways.  No the tea colored, brackish water you find in many parts of Florida is definitely not the pristine, crystal clear, fresh water that you can easily see 20 ft or more to the bottom in the northern reaches of Lake Michigan.  From Jan to April you can have many nice days of sailing down South. Unless you do some ice boating, those are things one can only dream about during the long,  cold harsh winters that come with living in the Midwest.

Find new experiences that will energize you.  You have just purchased a new to you boat that sounds great for some cruising.  Have you done any down there?  I trailered my current  J24 down to the Palm Beach area one x-mas from Michigan and took it from there to Marathon via water over 8 days-a great trip!  Start at Charlotte harbor and cross the state via Lake Okeechobee to the other side when water levels allow.

Be grateful for every day, as our time here is limited and for what we have.  If am reading your posts correctly you have a waterfront home with your new to you 32 ft boat directly our front?  That sounds like a pretty blessed life to me.......

Rant over, good luck in finding your way, it is there in front of you, just might take some searching....

• Like 2

Yes. Been doing this gig 36 years. Mostly tired of same n00bs putting in little effort and expecting miracles.  As for the weather, yes you have to travel to be year-round sailor.  I'm native Texan, so we have 9 glorious months of sailing outdoors and three blazing hot. I spend at least a month of those three elsewhere. I'm working ass off right now trying to secure lake house for the nice 9 months and a Gorge gig the other three.  Ever sailed on the Columbia in July.  Glorious.  Ever sailed there in January?  No fckn way, right?  That's why come September I'll be heading back down south with Melges in tow.

Michigan? Florida? What's next, New Jersey? The question you should be asking is why was there ever a thrill?

Go someplace interesting and challenging. The coast of Maine, the Windward Islands, Alaska, French Polynesia, Newfoundland.

• Like 3

Hey fuck you with the New Jersey dis.

Although I am on my second hiatus right now. It happens, go play golf for a few years and recharge the sailing batteries.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

We were out today and hit 7.5 kn SOG.  I didn't care.  All I could think of was heading back home.  This is so strange.  I don't know what it is.

Now, now Essex, don't get your panties in a knot. New Jersey is a fine place for Manhattan commuters and chemical refineries - it's just not really a sailing venue.

And don't get me started on golf ...

Apart from playing golf you could play cricket, croquet, bowling, scrabble or bingo.

I can recommend all of them, and I know because I've played them all, once.

Quite honestly, when reading all of Jules' thread questions I sometimes wondered if there was something wrong with the poor poster, and now I am sure there is, but still no idea what exactly.

I've got one simple advice though, harden the fuck up, and go sailing...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Quite honestly, when reading all of Jules' thread questions I sometimes wondered if there was something wrong with the poor poster, and now I am sure there is, but still no idea what exactly.

It's the heat.  It's the fucking heat.  The goddamnrentlessfucking HEAT!  We got back in at 7:30 last night and at 2AM I am still up, sitting under a fan, with the AC on, trying to cool down.  This is my fourth year is this miserable steam room and the fourth time I'm hating the goddamnfucking heat.  Did I mention the heat?  It drives you crazy.

I feel the same way about racing. 

Lived in Florida my whole life. Went sailing yesterday. Nice sea breeze about 2 PM, beautiful sail.

Would never consider living on the west coast of  Florida. It is always oppressive heat or thunderstorms. 

Jules, I have been sailing/racing for over 60 years - many of them in various parts of Florida. Your age could be part of all this. How do you feel? Still reasonably flexible and somewhat fit? It could be the particular boat you are sailing. I find that I continue to look for boats that are easier to sail ( physically ) yet enjoyable. I currently love my Harbor 20. Friends ( all over 60 ) and I are all buying Hobie Waves for local easy sailing. I can hear the laughter and snickering now. I too have bad-mouthed the Wave for decades and now I own one. Surprise! It offers easy and comfortable daysailing and one-design racing. My point is that you may be in the wrong boat doing the wrong type of sailing for this time in your life. Don't give up on sailing, just try a different type of sailing. There are limitless ways to enjoy the water wherever you are. Sailing is always better than bowling or cleaning your garage. Happy Sailing!

It's Florida it just fucking sucks.The heat,shallow water,Ass hole power boaters and no wind 

• Like 1

I can't say enough about how many times I've wanted to write a thread about this very topic.  So GD sick and tired of sailing, racing, the people (for the most part), etc.  Been away from it for about 4 years and don't miss a thing!  I like sitting here and checking in and spectating, reading articles, watching vids, following on YB, and all that, but actually going sailing...FCK that!  Hate it, hate it, HATE IT all down into my marrow!

But this year, life changes come around a bit, and low and behold, a good friend from childhood and I reconnect.  Wants to camp and hike on N Manitou Island.  I open my big fat fcking mouth and say how we used to sail Hobies and Lasers out to the Islands from Leland in my early/mid 20s.  Hang on the beach, eat/drink, then sail back.  I say "I can sail us out there.  We'll throw everything in dry bags and all will be fine."  I get my hands on a Weta (BIG THANKS to Gougeon Brothers!!!!), and over the July 4th long weekend, we head out of Glen Arbor area. 

Long story short, I really enjoyed myself and sailing the Weta and didn't hate it one single bit.  Great boat, easy to set up, very easy to sail, very responsive, fast!, comfortable.  And now...we got ourselves into what we call "Sail Packing."  First there was Backpacking, over the last 5 years; Bike Packing, now Sail Packing.  Gotta love it!  

Maybe going small and no stress and get out of that heat, aka taking time off and away from the whole scene, will eventually make it better for you.  But don't hesitate to take a long long time off. 

• Like 1

Taking every 10 minutes.  What luxury.  On Lake Travis in Austin, when the wind is over 10, we have to tack every 90 to 120 seconds...  We never get a chance to get the sails trimmed before we have to tack back...  Maybe we need a slower boat or a bigger body of water :)

16 minutes ago, Geff said:

I can't say enough about how many times I've wanted to write a thread about this very topic. So GD sick and tired of sailing, racing, the people (for the most part), etc. Been away from it for about 4 years and don't miss a thing! I like sitting here and checking in and spectating, reading articles, watching vids, following on YB, and all that, but actually going sailing...FCK that!  Hate it, hate it, HATE IT all down into my marrow!

I’m confused. Are you the sockpuppet for Mr. Clean, or Random? 

21 minutes ago, Svanen said:

I’m confused. Are you the sockpuppet for Mr. Clean, or Random? 

Just my random finally chiming in.

58 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

Jules, I have been sailing/racing for over 60 years - many of them in various parts of Florida. Your age could be part of all this. How do you feel? Still reasonably flexible and somewhat fit? It could be the particular boat you are sailing. I find that I continue to look for boats that are easier to sail ( physically ) yet enjoyable. I currently love my Harbor 20. Friends ( all over 60 ) and I are all buying Hobie Waves for local easy sailing. I can hear the laughter and snickering now. I too have bad-mouthed the Wave for decades and now I own one. Surprise! It offers easy and comfortable daysailing and one-design racing. My point is that you may be in the wrong boat doing the wrong type of sailing for this time in your life. Don't give up on sailing, just try a different type of sailing. There are limitless ways to enjoy the water wherever you are. Sailing is always better than bowling or cleaning your garage. Happy Sailing!

I'm 68.  Friends of mine down here recently sold their Bristol 35.  They are both in their early 70's.  They bought their boat new many moons ago and loved every minute of sailing when they were up north.  They moved here in 2004.  We had them over a couple of weeks ago for a sail.  They jumped at the chance.  When I asked why they sold their boat I was expecting to hear something about aging out.  He said the maintenance was too much.  She did the brightwork.  It was always gleaming.  But the constant assault of the sun and heat created too much work for them. 

I know when fall arrives my attitude will change.  It always does.  But every year, about this time, I'm crawling walls.  I don't mind the cold but the heat has always bothered me.  I moved because I was tired of shoveling snow.  Now it doesn't seem so bad.

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

It's Florida it just fucking sucks.The heat,shallow water,Ass hole power boaters and no wind 

So.... did you all not know what Florida was like, before you moved there?

And I notice you didn't mention the bugs!

FB- Doug

Hmmmmmm….Back to basics maybe??

Take some new sailors out with you and teach them.  It'll give meaning and satisfaction where you might otherwise not find any.*

Second idea--borrow a dinghy and go out with your creaky body and get down with it anyway.  Sailing closer to the water is more fun, even if you're more sore the next day.

*and you can invoke the *sixty rule" straight off--anything strenuous--halyards, genny grinding, foredeck excursions, lugging gear-- must be done by someone under sixty.   That's what I tell my sailing students when I get the occasional teaching gig.**

** and in three days that's going to become the "seventy rule"  ;-)

Huh...so I’ve been sentenced to hard labor in West Palm Beach for the Summer. My boat is on the hard in Maine. 

Every day so far there’s been a nice light SE breeze - the evenings seem perfect -I’ve only seen one snipe out. How does one go sailing in Florida in the Summer?

3 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Huh...so I’ve been sentenced to hard labor in West Palm Beach for the Summer. My boat is on the hard in Maine. 

Every day so far there’s been a nice light SE breeze - the evenings seem perfect -I’ve only seen one snipe out. How does one go sailing in Florida in the Summer?

If the Cheetard is in town, you can bet all access to the shoreline within 10 miles of Mar A Lago is shut down, so one goes sailing by avoiding that cluster fuckery.

1 minute ago, ajbram said:

If the Cheetard is in town, you can bet all access to the shoreline within 10 miles of Mar A Lago is shut down, so one goes sailing by avoiding that cluster fuckery.

Thanks Obama! 

No, really. Any crew boards to sign up on? I have a decent sailing resume and can’t stand the torture of being stuck on shore. 

1 hour ago, Geff said:

So GD sick and tired of sailing, racing, the people (for the most part), etc

Indeed.

1 minute ago, Elegua said:

Thanks Obama! 

No, really. Any crew boards to sign up on? I have a decent sailing resume and can’t stand the torture of being stuck on shore. 

Bit of a drive from where you are, but there is a pretty active scene in Coconut Grove. Generally some boats looking for crew.

23 minutes ago, Elegua said:

You don't. Limited beach access on the East Coast and hot with no wind on the West Coast. Florida sailing happens from October->May. Get a beach cottage on Lake MI or up in Maine for summer sailing!

23 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Thanks Obama! 

There's a community sailing center up in Jensen Beach, for sailing on the Indian River dinghy-style.   "Real" sailing with greater displacement and draft generally involves a longish trip to an inlet, to get to the too-calm and windless ocean.  Then the return trip.  And you have to time the tide for the inlet.  So most of the sailors "outside" are cruisers rather than daysailers.

But the scuba diving is great, you drift over the reefs of WPB and Jupiter, while the boat follows you.  And golf is ubiquitous, and at least something to do on windless days...

Find ways to stay cool. I often stop and go for a swim before we set sails, hose myself off at the dock, pour buckets over my head, swim after races etc. Does your boat have good shade? Just dipping your hat in the water makes a world of a difference.

5 minutes ago, nolatom said:

There's a community sailing center up in Jensen Beach, for sailing on the Indian River dinghy-style.   "Real" sailing with greater displacement and draft generally involves a longish trip to an inlet, to get to the too-calm and windless ocean.  Then the return trip.  And you have to time the tide for the inlet.  So most of the sailors "outside" are cruisers rather than daysailers.

But the scuba diving is great, you drift over the reefs of WPB and Jupiter, while the boat follows you.  And golf is ubiquitous, and at least something to do on windless days...

Thanks. I don’t golf. I do scuba. I enjoy small boat / dinghy sailing too. I have to find where that snipe is coming from. 

Get a trawler.  Makes boat live much easier which translates to fun.

South GA.... It's the heat .....fuck.

On another note, I was starting to feel a little jaded, especially with sailing in the same phrf fleet around the same courses. I still do it on an opb, mainly because I enjoy the company of the crew and the beer.

I went on a daysail on my own in my trailer sailor last weekend, although not racing I can't help but sail like I'm racing, use the kite when I can. If there is mark I have to round for nav purposes I treat like I would in a race, call a layline, execute a neat hoist/drop/gybe etc, trying to think about all that single handed is a whole new world and great fun.

Summer sailing on the west coast of Florida is like frostbiting up north during the winter - only the crazies do it.  Spring & fall are the sailing seasons, with winter for the more hard core.  No matter the season, it helps to have a boat appropriate for the mostly shallow, mostly light wind conditions.  With that in mind, I have happily sailed various multihulls on the west coast of Florida for over a half a century.  My current ride is a Weta, crewed by my dog.  Compared to the bigger boats that I've spent most of my life on, it's like playing with a go-cart.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

So.... did you all not know what Florida was like, before you moved there?

And I notice you didn't mention the bugs!

FB- Doug

Move here i was born here

16 hours ago, Jules said:

The first time I stepped aboard a sailboat I was home.  For the next 49 years it was always that way.  This year we bought a boat.  I thought I'd be in heaven but I'm not. 

Most all my sailing was on Lake Michigan.  Cruised Chicago to Mac and back no less than 8 times.  When we got back I always wanted to turn around and just sail away.  It's always been like that.  Until now.

Maybe it's age.  Maybe it's the goddamnfucking Florida heat.  Maybe it's shallow Charlotte Harbor that makes you tack every fucking 10 minutes.  Maybe it's all of that.  All I know is I don't care about sailing now.  This is really weird.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Keep in mind this is not a job, no need to force it unless you're making a living off of this.  If you're looking for a great way to take all the enjoyment out of something just turn it into a job.  If you have more days where you're not enjoying it compared to good days then screw it, go do something else and don't feel guilty.  Don't lose sight of the fact that this is supposed to be fun, excluding the usual small handful of days where everything just turns into a shit show, that's just part of sailing.

Maybe some time away doing something else will eventually lead you back to sailing, but maybe not and who cares if it doesn't because that just means you found something else you enjoy more.  At 68 life is too short to spend your leisure time on something you're not getting an overall good return on.  Get out there and enjoy life.  Or maybe in your current situation throw caution to the wind, crank up the AC to a comfortable 70, no, wait, fuck it, live on the edge and turn it down to 65 and don't leave the house till the temps drop and the humidity eases!

"If you're looking for a great way to take all the enjoyment out of something just turn it into a job." Totally agree. Did volunteering with Sailability in UK for 5 years, went from fun to another job I didn't get paid for. Quit.

Found an Original Windsurfer, not going back.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

It's the heat.  It's the fucking heat.  The goddamnrentlessfucking HEAT!  We got back in at 7:30 last night and at 2AM I am still up, sitting under a fan, with the AC on, trying to cool down.  This is my fourth year is this miserable steam room and the fourth time I'm hating the goddamnfucking heat.  Did I mention the heat?  It drives you crazy.

While I know what you mean (it was too f'ing hot to get on the boat in Carolina this weekend), you are old enough to know that in the blink of an eye it'll be October and you will once again be enjoying your boat.  Go on an extended driving vacation to Nova Scotia, PEI, the Gaspe for the next two months.  

Have you checked for a pulse?    A fogged mirror may not be a reliable test in extreme humidity.   Florida may have trouble competing with the great lakes, but it can't be that bad.

1 minute ago, Lark said:

Have you checked for a pulse?    A fogged mirror may not be a reliable test in Florida humidity.   Florida may have trouble competing with the great lakes, but it can't be that bad.

Have you ever wondered why Florida has so many crazies?  https://floridaman.com/ 

21 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

While I know what you mean (it was too f'ing hot to get on the boat in Carolina this weekend), you are old enough to know that in the blink of an eye it'll be October and you will once again be enjoying your boat.  Go on an extended driving vacation to Nova Scotia, PEI, the Gaspe for the next two months.  

Now that my body temperature is almost back to normal, I'm not as miserable as I was yesterday. 

We've been talking about trying to get the hell out of here - on the boat - next year before this oppressive heat sets in next year.  I'd be good if we could sail to a place where I can shiver once in a while.

10 minutes ago, Jules said:

We've been talking about trying to get the hell out of here - on the boat - next year before this oppressive heat sets in next year.  I'd be good if we could sail to a place where I can shiver once in a while.

Why not make it a trip that carries you up the East Coast, and then you return after the main hurricane season.  I find myself dreading in the back of my mind late August through the end of September.  Between home and boat worries, it gets to be a real annual drag for everyone from Cape Hatteras southward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwormwood said:

Summer sailing on the west coast of Florida is like frostbiting up north during the winter - only the crazies do it. 

Thank you.  Now I just have to get that point across to my SO.  She has an amazing talent for forgetting what it's like out there within a day or two of the last sail.

20 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I find myself dreading in the back of my mind late August through the end of September.

Oh yeah.  I'm with you.  The worst is yet to come.  I've been thinking if we get a hurricane pass through here this summer, that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

To be sure,  this time of year I don't said mid-day unless its in an event - evenings only,  just too much sun.

That,  and - the way you participate in the sport IS allowed to change, ya know.

On the Great Lakes, or in New England, folks take parts off there boat, bring them home, and repair, restore, paint, varnish, etc in the “off season.”

Maybe that’s what you should do during the summer?

I don't know why some life long sailors just lose the passion for it, but some do. Lots maybe. They always look for the reasons; there are plenty, but it's just that you lose the need to do it. If you have to be sailing to know you're alive, you'll find a way around all those obstacles.

I don't live in Florida, but west coast Mexico is about the same, except fewer powerboats, fewer assholes, and nice, deep, blue water to sail in, (and good winds, all year round). OK, so it's not the same. But it's HOT in the summer.

But we still sail, even in the summer, just not as often. Right now I'm anchored in a lagoon and it is plenty hot, and no air conditioning until we get back to our base in August. But I just can't let this go. I have to sail. I always have.

So, if you lose the passion, OK, move on. No guilt. There will be others of us who haven't.

Friend did the west to east, through the lake, last week, on a 30ft. sailboat. No AC, said the heat was brutal.

Growing up in Miami, we didn't have any AC in cars, homes or schools.

However then 86 degrees was considered a real hot day.

What about some destination sailing?  Going out and tacking back and forth can get kinda meh, but if you have a destination I find it much more enjoyable.    Even if it's just a place for lunch.  I'm not that familiar with your area, but there's gotta be a some restaurants/shopping spots with docks and stuff around.  Do something you might normally take a car to do, just take a boat instead.  So much cooler.

I can relate. After 65 races in mostly Porsche cup cars one day at Sebring sitting on the grid in the 5th row out of 40 I radioed my co driver that I was only doing one lap and going home. Sell the car, truck, trailer... I have lost confidence and am done. 

That's interesting....I have been sailing for 25 yrs and just experienced about the same thing....In feb I sold my 35.5 hunter legend and in April I bought a 2003 Flying Scot to put by my dock....Boats like new....I took the cover off after owning it for two months, waxed it and sold it....never launched it...never had a desire to....boat was picked up today...I don't know whats going on....I think part of it is my age(69) and part is been there done that....right now I am ejoying playing golf.....I don't know ...After owning 9 sailboats.....the excitement might be gone....It's kinda a bummer but real....

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

That's interesting....I have been sailing for 25 yrs and just experienced about the same thing....In feb I sold my 35.5 hunter legend and in April I bought a 2003 Flying Scot to put by my dock....Boats like new....I took the cover off after owning it for two months, waxed it and sold it....never launched it...never had a desire to....boat was picked up today...I don't know whats going on....I think part of it is my age(69) and part is been there done that....right now I am ejoying playing golf.....I don't know ...After owning 9 sailboats.....the excitement might be gone....It's kinda a bummer but real....

You mean there is some hope of a spontaneous remission from this sailing thing?

13 hours ago, Jules said:

I'm 68.  Friends of mine down here recently sold their Bristol 35.  They are both in their early 70's.  They bought their boat new many moons ago and loved every minute of sailing when they were up north.  They moved here in 2004.  We had them over a couple of weeks ago for a sail.  They jumped at the chance.  When I asked why they sold their boat I was expecting to hear something about aging out.  He said the maintenance was too much.  She did the brightwork.  It was always gleaming.  But the constant assault of the sun and heat created too much work for them. 

I know when fall arrives my attitude will change.  It always does.  But every year, about this time, I'm crawling walls.  I don't mind the cold but the heat has always bothered me.  I moved because I was tired of shoveling snow.  Now it doesn't seem so bad.

take your boat to Maine for the summer.

There is nothing worse than the old boxer who makes a comeback, and loses.  Or the old guy who does not know when to move on.  Act your age with grace.

I have changed classes and boats as soon as the thrill was gone.  The only exception has been my long term marriage, some things are worth sticking with, going to the next stage with, in sickness and in health.

Sold my boat last year and do not regret it.  Best tip, as soon as the maintenance becomes a chore, sell it.  Mine was starting to own me.  Before that maintenance is something you do as part of enjoying yourself.

I have been scanning the market though, I have a yearning for a small boat.

3 hours ago, random said:

There is nothing worse than the old boxer who makes a comeback, and loses.  Or the old guy who does not know when to move on.  Act your age with grace.

Well, at my age I'm demoing walls, hanging drywall, building and installing cabinets, replumbing and rewiring the house and now fixing up an old boat, by myself.  Not sure if I'm acting my age but I am keeping busy.  Just don't ask me to do that when it's 960 outside.  And don't ask me to go out sailing with you in the middle of the afternoon either.  Sorry if I'm not showing you any grace.

It sounds like you're bored sailing in the harbor. I found this great documentary about sailing to Mexico:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jules said:

When I was a real estate broker for 30 years, I saw many, many New Englanders come back here, after attempting to retire in Florida.  I always recommended that until you are certain you want to permanently move somewhere, you should go and rent for year, or more, before buying.  Grandfather and Grandmother went to Pompano every winter, but rented.  He had heard too many friends horror stories about dealing with vacation house problems from a 1000 miles away during the summer, so he never bought a place.  I did not follow his advise and bought a small Cape on Johns Island in greater Charleston years ago, just before daughter was going to go to college there,  had more problems than I could count, and sold a year later for quite better price, but barely got out with the shirt on my back, so lesson learned!   I hate the snow and cold also, but have the option of visiting the kids in S. Carolina for a couple weeks each in January, February and March, when retired in a couple years.  I will never retire, just work for myself, and not for piddling paycheck and healthcare.....

4 hours ago, random said:

I have changed classes and boats as soon as the thrill was gone.  The only exception has been my long term marriage, some things are worth sticking with, going to the next stage with, in sickness and in health.

Sold my boat last year and do not regret it.  Best tip, as soon as the maintenance becomes a chore, sell it.  Mine was starting to own me.  Before that maintenance is something you do as part of enjoying yourself.

I have been scanning the market though, I have a yearning for a small boat.

<hijack> W/R/T "sticking with things" - was that a 70s vintage Honda XL175 in one of your garage pics?  </hijack> 

I blame Floriduh.

• Like 1

Jules, I read plenty of suggestions for you - and from you I hear more complaining. Find a new kind of sailing or some activity you enjoy in the summer. Take a trip up north. Think of the lyrics from the sixties:   " change is gonna do me good "       I'm done.

If you're so sick and tired of driving in the snow.... keeps driving your car and let global warming improve your property value.

I watched my parents try and snowbird. It was a disaster. My parents had money but no brains. They followed their drinking buddies to Naples. While down there for their second winter, the pipes froze and burst in their house up north. My dad gets a gigantic water bill and can't think why this is happening. He calls nobody to go check his house until he gets the second gigantic bill.

The entire house is now infested with black mold and will never retain it's original value.

When they sold their house in Naples, they took a bath. Now they're in a place in coastal NC that's basically a shack

22 minutes ago, RATM said:

If you're so sick and tired of driving in the snow.... keeps driving your car and let global warming improve your property value.

I watched my parents try and snowbird. It was a disaster. My parents had money but no brains. They followed their drinking buddies to Naples. While down there for their second winter, the pipes froze and burst in their house up north. My dad gets a gigantic water bill and can't think why this is happening. He calls nobody to go check his house until he gets the second gigantic bill.

The entire house is now infested with black mold and will never retain it's original value.

When they sold their house in Naples, they took a bath. Now they're in a place in coastal NC that's basically a shack

Sounds like they needed advice that they never got, or asked for, and should have!

On 7/15/2019 at 3:30 AM, Moonduster said:

Now, now Essex, don't get your panties in a knot. New Jersey is a fine place for Manhattan commuters and chemical refineries - it's just not really a sailing venue.

And don't get me started on golf ...

We actually have a ton of one design and PHRF racing out of our club on the Barnegat Bay and we have some of the top sailors in the sport come though our Junior Sailing Program. Our consistent southeasterly breeze that comes in like clockwork makes for some great national sailing regattas. 

The Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook are fun places to race with the Manhattan skyline in sight. Cape May is a very easy area to sail out of with beautiful scenery and whales. 

But, of course, the parts of the state that produce the fuels we all use and the ports that service the world are pretty unattractive to the eye. I am lucky enough to be an hour south off all of that. The rest of the state is beautiful and diverse and truly is the Garden State.

Kevin

5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

<hijack> W/R/T "sticking with things" - was that a 70s vintage Honda XL175 in one of your garage pics?  </hijack> 

It's a 250.  Restored it, every single part, every nut and washer.  Great project.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

Well, at my age I'm demoing walls, hanging drywall, building and installing cabinets, replumbing and rewiring the house and now fixing up an old boat, by myself.  Not sure if I'm acting my age but I am keeping busy.  Just don't ask me to do that when it's 960 outside.  And don't ask me to go out sailing with you in the middle of the afternoon either.  Sorry if I'm not showing you any grace.

Seems like you have misinterpreted what I said.  I too still construct, I'm on a farm, trees fall on fences, machines stop, renovation is required.  I was talking about sailing, competing with youngsters and expecting to still do as well as they used to.  Even they don't enjoy seeing decline.

The exception in sailing is that there are now Masters and Grand Masters divisions to cater for people who really do want to compete after their physical capabilities fall off.

<<Has anyone else experienced this?>>

Yes, sailed fanatically all my life, engineered & built boats for a living - didn't know anything else. Then somehow ended up running a s/w company and children came along, so the sailing dwindled into sporadic, but still great fun rides, all with good crews.

Then I discovered paragliding, but frankly it could have been sailplanes or hang gliders. just that PG-ing is easier to hike around with in the Austrian Alps where my wife comes from or for walking up Welsh mountain to launch.

So in the same way a foiling Moth can burn off yachts costing 100x what it does, my fairly sporty PG will clock 60kph in still air, and ≈90kph going XC on a high wind (top end day). and cost 1/5 - 1/2 of a Moth or A-Class.

A decent HG will do 100-120kph in still air, and cost about the same as a Moth.

Running costs zilch (until you crash...)

So this is like 3D sailing, as the thermals can take you upwards at 30+kph at the same time you are travelling forward at 30-40kph; you learn a heck of a lot more about meteorology than you ever need to sailing spotting lift, wind lines (and turbulence); you have to navigate whilst multi-tasking other things and moving fast over terrain; and you have to trim the wing and shift your weight about, like on a feisty dinghy.

It's like sailing a Moth on steroids, but you get to take in the scenery at 3-4-5-6-7,000 feet in the UK (or 18k over the Sierras or Himalaya) and the Eagles, Vultures and Buzzards come over to check you out then buzz off to show you the next lifty line or thermal.

The record Cross Country flight (in the Sertão, Brazil) is ≈560km in one day, all without an engine...

Florida is a great place to fly - mainly HG - and you will still be sailing, just differently. Oh, did I mention the heat - it's lovely and cool at cloudbase (the thermal tops) when it's still stinking hot on the ground.

The best bit is, I learned to love sailing again, and switch between the two as the mood takes.

Live happy.

• Like 1

Mid-to Late July is always a downer time for me.  I've already done maybe 2-4 major regattas prior to July 4 and usually have 2-4 in August and September.  The thought of bobbing around LIS in 100 degree heat (this weekend) and little breeze just makes me want to take up golf.  At least there's shade in the golf cart and beer girls filling orders.  

• Like 1

After surviving an aortic dissection, I sold my wonderful G32 {thanks to the great readers of SA}.  I still love the water, so I slowly got back in.  I became the boat.  I free dive like the old days.  Try It.  Just be very careful.  Since it is so hot where you are, it could be the right place to be[in the water].  You will find less BS when you are the boat.