14 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

They're not coming to talk SailGP bro, they're coming to "undermine" it and that's not what I want. We already have a Thread which is 50 Pages long where People are trying to undermine SailGP.

Well, like I've said, I don't really care about stuff like that. I can easily ignore those who have nothing of value or interest to contribute. Remember, SailGP's future certainly doesn't depend on a small gaggle of forum whingers liking it or not. They wanted the SailGP thread here - here it is.

Everyone is welcome!

Now, let's get back on track - how many days again until Marseilles?

3 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

SailGP is a product as much as modern AC or Volvo RTW. I don't think there's any difference. The comparisons with F1 and other highly produced/productized sports is appropriate. I am under no illusions here that it's amateur buddies getting together for a 'round the cans' Friday race.

In fact, I'm glad that there's a growing professional track for young talent. They can choose to become paid professional sailors. 

The production values are getting better -- we can quibble about the details, but there's more money, more folks working hard on producing something compelling. I just hope that AC steals as many good ideas from SGP as possible, and that they both feed a growing audience and sport.

+1 martin.

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Are you actually accusing Larry Ellison & Russell Coutts of "Narcissistic trying to control people"? That's sad. I thought you were better than that.

My Problem is that you & others also love the AC and I think that's not healthy. You should be either in the AC Camp or in the SailGP Camp. You can't love both. It's kind of loving Djokovic, Nadal and Federer at the same time. You're either in one Camp or the other. 

No, @dg_sailingfan. I was not referring to Larry or Russell. I was referring to anyone who took it upon themselves to try to control and censor speech in an online forum that they did not own.

Honestly, I do not comprehend the notion that someone cannot love both SailGP and the America's Cup. Is that also @smackdaddy 's rule for who gets to discuss SailGP here? I really wonder about that.  What about the TP52 series? RC44 Cup?  

Can somebody also not like monohulls and multihulls?  A National League baseball team and an American League team? Ok, not both the Yankees and RedSox :)F1 and NASCAR?  

I prefer Federer to Nadal. But Serena is the GOAT.

My gender bias showing? ;)

But your stated position about "health" is just beyond anything I can fathom.  

Be well, y'all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, like I've said, I don't really care about stuff like that. I can easily ignore those who have nothing of value or interest to contribute. Remember, SailGP's future certainly doesn't depend on a small gaggle of forum whingers liking it or not. They wanted the SailGP thread here - here it is.

Everyone is welcome!

Now, how many days again until Marseilles?

25 days 13 hours

It's on the app. Heh.

Thought everyone was better once.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Everyone is welcome!

Some 25 Days or so if I got that right:)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's a good perspective from USA's Tom Burnham debriefing after Cowes...with a bit of a view of how they assess the data, etc...

Screen-Shot-2019-08-25-at-9.15.20-PM.png

Also pay attention to what he's saying at 1:48 regarding what it's like to sail these F50s.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Some 25 Days or so if I got that right:)

Wow mobs! This game looks fun! I'd love to Play to with this! 

Here is my question OK!

What is your favourite sailing league?!

OKOK!!. I'll give you hint... it Start with an S!

Everyone please Respond with your answer and we'll be able to talk more! Even with the likes!

Tomorrow I will ask a new question - how many days since Cowes!

Keep the great content coming! :-D But NO Girls! They scare me!

6 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

In fact, I'm glad that there's a growing professional track for young talent. They can choose to become paid professional sailors. 

The production values are getting better -- we can quibble about the details, but there's more money, more folks working hard on producing something compelling. I just hope that AC steals as many good ideas from SGP as possible, and that they both feed a growing audience and sport.

Are there actually as many young talents who get paid for sailing these days? There are fewer crew on each AC boat these days, and fewer teams. If one believes that it's good to have young talent able to be paid - and I have reservations - then the current course is arguably the wrong one in some ways.

Given the results of the only two major surveys about the public's perception of sailing, there seems to be no reason why the SGP and an AC that follows its style will feed a growing sport. The public perceive our sport as expensive, dangerous, difficult and elitist, not boring. Promoting a form of the sport that is as expensive, dangerous, difficult (in some ways) and elitist as the SGP and current AC is only going to make that worse.

Curious - you really need to watch the videos I posted in my response to you. And you should also watch the SailGP Inspire videos as well. I think you'll see that young people are not seeing things the way you're saying they're seeing things. And that's directly from their mouths - not mine.

Oooooh I love games. 

S...S...S...oh! SailGP. The bigger guys make me wait years and I get impatient.

But you don't have to be scared of me, @dgunt_sailingfanny  

Here's an article about Billy and Marie and rebuilding their Olympic plans via SailGP. Google will translate.  SHE is formidable. 

http://www.leparisien.fr/amp/s

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Oooooh I love games. 

S...S...S...oh! SailGP. The bigger guys make me wait years and I get impatient.

But you don't have to be scared of me, @dgunt_sailingfanny  

Here's an article about Billy and Marie and rebuilding their Olympic plans via SailGP. Google will translate.  SHE is formidable. 

http://www.leparisien.fr/amp/s

+1, clew.

I'm a big fan of Marie (and Billy too). It's so cool to see a woman out there rocking it. I really hope FRA can pull down a win or two in Marseilles. Very admirable sailors. And I hope we see more women on these teams next year.

The F 50 is extremely fast, waiting for 45 knots begins to become normal, we no longer have the stress of speed and we are necessarily more comfortable when we return to the small boat ( note: 20 knots speed ) . - Billy B.

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

See? Now you're upset. Let's try to get things back on track and have a reasonable discussion...

I'm not upset; just addressing your points.

Re "Now bring in the Moth. This is a redefinition. It's an entirely new skill-set from not only these monohull dinghy examples, but even from A-Cats, Forumulas, Nacras, etc.

Not really. You can hop aboard a foiling Moth, crank it up onto the foils and go sailing. You can do the same with other foilers. You use the same skills you use with a lowrider Moth, a skiff, a windsurfer, or a Laser. I've done it - have you?

This is not "redefining" anything - it's just sailing in a way that is, in some ways, quite familiar depending on what you've sailed before. If you find it a re-definition it's because you apparently managed to ignore lowrider Moths, fast cats, windsurfers, skiffs, etc. The techniques are, in many ways, generally quite familiar to sailors who have a very different background from sailing your Catalinas and similar boats (NTTAWWT).  

Sure, there are some techniques that are new - that is common in many types of sailing. There are new techniques if you move from a Laser to a fast cat and vice versa, or from a Moth to a windsurfer, or to a fast assymetric boat from a slower symmetrical one. It's still the same sport.

Re "Though it may rub traditionalists the wrong way - this (wingsail) is certainly something very new"

Again, you just don't seem to know the sport very well. Wingsails have been around for over 40 years - a couple of guys I used to know and sail with had one around 1974, for example. The "traditionalists" may be people like you, who appear to have managed to ignore wingsails for decades and only recently seem to have become aware of them and assuming that because you didn't know about them, the rest of us were equally ignorant. 

they are talking about how the F50s are beyond anything they've ever sailed before. And that obviously makes sense as these boats (and sailors) are doing what no other boats (and sailors) have ever done. But again, it's not just about the record speeds, which is my point above, it's about everything going on with the boats to reach and maintain those speeds.

There have always been boats that are beyond everything ever sailed before. The Bradmill/ Entrad generation of 18 Foot Skiffs was before anything ever sailed before, in many ways. So was the Tornado, the water-ballasted IMOCAs, the first generation of maxis after the IMS limit was dropped, the skinny Moths, the fat skiff Magnum type Moths, the early assymetric beach cats, etc etc etc. None of them really redefined sailing.

By the way, how many of the boats in the list above have you ever sailed?

Here is a fun example of a race between a kiteboard, 49er, Moth."  And listen to these very accomplished sailors/kiters talk about it after...

Do you realise that's a 2010 vid, and that many of us had watched it and sailed foilers, 9ers etc before that vid came out?  Sure, those guys liked their foils. Of course they did, they are fun. But the personal opinion of a few people does not redefine a sport. 

"The remaining area to really watch here is not what's happening with the F50 and AC75 as much as, to your point, what's happening with the IMOCA 60s offshore. Can the IMOCA 60s begin to reach the same continued speeds as the tris? As you know, over the last couple of races, the IMOCAs have gotten very close to the times of the Class 2 multis. What will be the jump in performance be as the IMOCAs and ORMAs now start foiling?"

What's so important about that? Okay, so the IMOCAs finish their races two days earlier - how does that redefine sailing? The first water ballasted wide IMOCAs were significantly quicker than older 60 foot singlehanded boats, but that didn't redefine the sport. They were fun to sail (have you tried them?) but they didn't redefine the sport any more than (say) Credit Agricole IV or Ecureuil d'Aquitaine II.  There has always been progression, but that does not mean that the sport is redefined.

this is the same thing the leading sailors in the sport are saying if you care to listen. 

Oh for heaven's sake - I sail against one of the world's top foiling cat sailors most weekends.  Many other people are in similar situations. Why do you assume we're not listening? The fact that you've apparently had your eyes closed for years does not mean that others have.

However, the fact that one is a successful competitive sailor does not mean that one is an expert in sports management, sports marketing, IT or any other field. They are different areas that use different skills and knowledge, as is proven by the fact that many people who are experts in sports management, marketing, IT and other fields are not great sailors. To use one example, beating Olympic veterans to win the national champs and finish top 3 in the world in a form of sailing does NOT necessarily mean that you know how that discipline should be marketed, what it may do for sailing, and how it may effect the sport - it just means that you can do it well.  Expertise on the water and expertise in sports management and marketing are different things.

"And I believe these sailors who actually know over ANYONE posting on a forum about it."

That may be because you don't know some of the people who have posted on forums.  And as noted above, there is no reason to think that because someone can handle a Laser Radial well (to use the example in one of those vids) they are therefore an expert on the marketing of the sport and its history and future.

• Like 1

^oh yeah. Oracle is a huge data broker, something like 5B IDs assembled into "45,000 prebuilt audiences based on demographic, behavioral, B2B, online, offline and transactional data" for sale. They are a big crossplatform tracker/broker. 

Big O was notorious for having early customers be testers, now it is we freeloading fans.  Like I said, they plan to extend to other sports. Larry learned many things from Japan and keiretsu was a big one.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90310803/here-are-the-data-brokers-quietly-buying-and-selling-your-personal-information

Note: This is not unique in the commercial world (right, @smackdaddy ?) and does not mean I don't like SailGP. I do suggest using a burner device for the app, lol not lol.

Facebook is scary, too. Fortunately they are tracking a ghost in my case.

Ah, well - I didn't know you were so accomplished Curious. I suppose I should be wrapped in awe, listening to you wide-eyed and rosy-cheekd. I mean, I do genuinely respect accomplished sailors. But there might be some holes here....

1 hour ago, Curious said:

I'm not upset; just addressing your points.

Re "Now bring in the Moth. This is a redefinition. It's an entirely new skill-set from not only these monohull dinghy examples, but even from A-Cats, Forumulas, Nacras, etc. Here is a fun example of a race between a kiteboard, 49er, Moth."

No it's not. You can hop aboard a foiling Moth, crank it up onto the foils and go sailing. You can do the same with other foilers. I've done just that- have you?  

This is not "redefining" anything - it's just sailing in a way that is, in some ways, quite familiar depending on what you've sailed before. If you find it a re-definition it's because you apparently managed to ignore lowrider Moths, fast cats, windsurfers, skiffs, etc. The techniques are, in many ways, quite familiar, to sailors who have a very different background from sailing your Catalinas and similar boats (NTTAWWT).  

I've never claimed to be an expert. I'm simply a fan. YOU, however, are claiming to be an expert. Maybe you are - maybe you're not. But it doesn't really matter. Because there's absolutely no question that guys like Slingsby, Outteridge, Besson, Fletcher, Kirby, and Robertson ARE actually experts. And they don't agree with your attempted wienie swinging here. They're simply not saying what you're saying.

So who are we fans to believe? Real sailors - or Curious?

Again, you can try to get personal, but it doesn't matter to me. You're still wrong.

Re "Though it may rub traditionalists the wrong way - this (wingsail) is certainly something very new"

Again, you just don't seem to know the sport very well. Wingsails have been around for over 40 years - a couple of guys I used to know and sail with had one around 1974, for example. The "traditionalists" may be people like you, who appear to have managed to ignore wingsails for decades and only recently seem to have become aware of them and assuming that because you didn't know about them, the rest of us were equally ignorant. 

Well sure. And foils have been around since the early 1900's.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Forlanini_Idroplano-Forlani_Hydrofoil_1910.jpg

Yet we are just now seeing boats that are breaking 50 knots. How can that be? Do you really need me to say "articulated", "internally controlled, "modular" when talking about these wings so we know we're not just the other side of Woodstock? This is a good example of the "semantics" Ren was talking about. Your "semantics" are disingenuous...and silly.

Why, there have been "boats" around since even before 1974. What in the hell does that have to do with anything? Sorry, you have to do better than that. Very weak...and not worth the trouble.

they are talking about how the F50s are beyond anything they've ever sailed before. And that obviously makes sense as these boats (and sailors) are doing what no other boats (and sailors) have ever done. But again, it's not just about the record speeds, which is my point above, it's about everything going on with the boats to reach and maintain those speeds.

There have always been boats that are beyond everything ever sailed before. The Bradmill/ Entrad generation of 18 Foot Skiffs was before anything ever sailed before, in many ways. So was the Tornado, the water-ballasted IMOCAs, the first generation of maxis after the IMS limit was dropped, the skinny Moths, the fat skiff Magnum type Moths, the early assymetric beach cats, etc etc etc. None of them really redefined sailing.

By the way, how many of the boats in the list above have you ever sailed?

It doesn't matter. SailGP is not about me. And I hate to break it to you, but it's even not about you. It's about what is actually happening on the water - and the fans. What boats you might claim to have sailed has absolutely no bearing on whether F50s are redefining sailing or not. They are. And you're simply wrong...despite you're impressively expanding CV.

And listen to these very accomplished sailors/kiters talk about it after...

Do you realise that's a 2010 vid, and that many of us had watched it and sailed foilers, 9ers etc before that vid came out?  Sure, those guys liked their foils. Of course they did, they are fun. But the personal opinion of a few people does not redefine a sport. 

Sure. I take it you've seen the foiling kiteboards (another video linked herein) and surfboards guys like Slater are working? Actually, I take that back - I'm sure you've probably already shown all these youngsters how it's done on every one of these. You're just that badass.

But, as I've said already, your last sentence above is exactly what I'm talking about. The rambling personal opinions of a self-professed god-of-sailing on an internet forum has even less value than a 9 year old video of people who actually do what you're claiming to have done.

Again, maybe you are all that, Curious. I'd love to see the videos. But even if you really are - then you're pretty much a lone voice in your myopic personal opinions on the subject. Surely you can see that?

"The remaining area to really watch here is not what's happening with the F50 and AC75 as much as, to your point, what's happening with the IMOCA 60s offshore. Can the IMOCA 60s begin to reach the same continued speeds as the tris? As you know, over the last couple of races, the IMOCAs have gotten very close to the times of the Class 2 multis. What will be the jump in performance be as the IMOCAs and ORMAs now start foiling?"

What's so important about that? Okay, so the IMOCAs finish their races two days earlier - how does that redefine sailing? The first water ballasted wide IMOCAs were significantly quicker than older 60 foot singlehanded boats, but that didn't redefine the sport. They were fun to sail (have you tried them?) but they didn't redefine the sport any more than (say) Credit Agricole IV or Ecureuil d'Aquitaine II.  There has always been progression, but that does not mean that the sport is redefined.

Oh boy - I'm really starting to question your CV now. Look, you've got your entrenched viewpoint. You should keep it. It suits you. In the mean time, the rest of the world will be truly impressed when foiling IMOCA's shave 2 full days off their times - in open ocean conditions, and start matching the tri times. That's what every single racer on every single boat is trying to do in adopting these new technologies.

So, you stay comfortable in your lawn chair, pop another can of Schlitz, and yell at the kids whilst tugging at your support hose.

this is the same thing the leading sailors in the sport are saying if you care to listen.

Oh for heaven's sake - I sail against one of the world's top foiling cat sailors most weekends.  Many other people are in similar situations. Why do you assume we're not listening? The fact that you've apparently had your eyes closed for years does not mean that others have.

Yes, we know. You're awesome. And yet you're wrong.

However, the fact that one is a successful competitive sailor does not mean that one is an expert in sports management, sports marketing, IT or any other field. They are different areas that use different skills and knowledge, as is proven by the fact that many people who are experts in sports management, marketing, IT and other fields are not great sailors. To use one example, beating Olympic veterans to win the national champs and finish top 3 in the world in a form of sailing does NOT necessarily mean that you know how that discipline should be marketed, what it may do for sailing, and how it may effect the sport - it just means that you can do it well.  Expertise on the water and expertise in sports management and marketing are different things.

I have no idea where you're trying to go with this - but I think these things are pretty self evident.

"And I believe these sailors who actually know over ANYONE posting on a forum about it."

That may be because you don't know some of the people who have posted on forums.  And as noted above, there is no reason to think that because someone can handle a Laser Radial well (to use the example in one of those vids) they are therefore an expert on the marketing of the sport and its history and future.

Again, you're rambling here. But one thing is certain - forums are, for the most part, places where anyone can say or claim anything. It's all free-flowing, largely anonymous opinion that really doesn't mean much at the end of the day.

All that truly matters is what is actually happening in reality - out there on the water.

I am perfectly fine with you insisting nothing has been redefined. You hang on to that because you need it. In the mean time, many others who actually know simply disagree. And SailGP continues on its merry way - foiling, with wings, and Flight Controllers, and crazy huge live data streams, at 50+ knots, to the gasps and cheers of growing crowds, etcetera, etcetera...

A couple of posts back, you were saying we should try to have a reasonable discussion. Now you're throwing stupid insults around. That's pretty silly.  It's sad that you're so desperate to be right that you make up stuff, as you did with the claims about crowd numbers and the history of wingsails. Simple fact - you don't know the stuff you spout.

The fact that you find it hard to believe that lots of people have sailed many different fast craft just shows how narrow your own background is. I never claim to be awesome, or a legend  If you don't understand how lots of people could have grown up in an environment with skiffs, boards, and Moths around then it just shows how isolated and insular your own sailing experience has been. Let's face it, you're the one who blogs about the amazing experience of sailing a half-sunk 1973 beachcat, or brags in your blog about reaching 10 knots. But if you stuck your head into the wider world, you'd see that sailing has been about a lot more than the stuff you have experienced for a long while.

It's rather odd  to see you just flail from one attempt to throw lame insults (like claiming I don't care to listen to top foilers) to another (like claiming I'm bullshitting when I say I do, regularly).  It's illogical for you to claim that foiling etc is "redefining the sport" but then imply that other people can't sail against top foiler sailors. If foiling cats are so rare that you believe that anyone who says their are good foilers at their home club is bullshitting, then cat foiling must be so rare that it's not redefining the sport.

Here's one more piece of evidence. The SCHRS rating system rates foiling cats at just 2% quicker than their non-foiling sisters. That's about the same, or less, as the speed advantage you get by sticking an assy onto a cat. But sticking spinnakers on cats didn't "redefine sailing".  And windsurfers have been not just sitting above the water, but doing double loop-the-loops in mid air and doing over 40 knots, but it hasn't "redefined sailing". They are both just fascinating parts of the sport that is still mostly about craft like Lasers, Catalinas and Hobies. The fact that you managed to basically ignore multis for much of a lifetime just underlines the problem. You just don't know what has happened before in the sport and how it relates to what is happening now. 

It's hard to work why you think that things "pretty self evident" and I can't see how you can see one paragraph is "rambling", but the facts are pretty clear. The fact that a person is a great sailor does not make them an expert on the future direction of the sport, its popular appeal, and its marketing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^oh yeah. Oracle is a huge data broker, something like 5B IDs assembled into "45,000 prebuilt audiences based on demographic, behavioral, B2B, online, offline and transactional data" for sale. They are a big crossplatform tracker/broker.

Yep, then work out who all their friends are and target them all with anti-AC propaganda.

Nice plan Larry.  Geoblock the fuck out of them till they identify themselves so he can reek his revenge on the Kiwis.

Hey @Curious, we can all see you cornered at the bar by that lonely loser drunk... don't waste your time, just leave him there 'redefining' himself over and over ;-)

8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Are you actually accusing Larry Ellison & Russell Coutts of "Narcissistic trying to control people"? That's sad. I thought you were better than that.

My Problem is that you & others also love the AC and I think that's not healthy. You should be either in the AC Camp or in the SailGP Camp. You can't love both. It's kind of loving Djokovic, Nadal and Federer at the same time. You're either in one Camp or the other. 

Get help.

8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Correct, SailGP is definitely a product. They've made that very clear.

I think that is actually brilliant, much needed, and way overdue. I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever. I personally think the idea of the "Corinthian sport" and "sailing etiquette" are just antiquated notions. There is nothing with SailGP keeping those who hold these notions as important to keep doing so in whatever way they'd like. But I for one am so glad we are moving in this direction. It will be much, much better for sailing. You can see it just in the videos I've been posting of younger people being drawn to the sport. I've not heard a single one of them mention Corinth or etiquette. Cheeky bastards.

And I don't really care, as long as the commercial version is as friendly and amiable as the corinthian. Which it unfortunately isn't. 

Goes with the young, uneducated brats not knowing about etiquette. Normal for any youth, they will grow up too. Until then they will add to the spreading disrespect in this world. 

4 hours ago, Curious said:

A couple of posts back, you were saying we should try to have a reasonable discussion. Now you're throwing stupid insults around.

You haven't been?

It's illogical for you to claim that foiling etc is "redefining the sport" but then imply that other people can't sail against top foiler sailors.

I really don't know what you're talking about here. Anyone can "sail against" anyone. What does that have to do with anything? My point is you should listen a bit more closely to these top foiling sailors. They're not saying what you're saying.

Here's one more piece of evidence. The SCHRS rating system rates foiling cats at just 2% quicker than their non-foiling sisters. That's about the same, or less, as the speed advantage you get by sticking an assy onto a cat. But sticking spinnakers on cats didn't "redefine sailing".  And windsurfers have been not just sitting above the water, but doing double loop-the-loops in mid air and doing over 40 knots, but it hasn't "redefined sailing". They are both just fascinating parts of the sport that is still mostly about craft like Lasers, Catalinas and Hobies.

I get it. You don't want sailing redefined. As I said you should hang on to that. Many top sailors, however, disagree with you.

It's hard to work why you think that things "pretty self evident" and I can't see how you can see one paragraph is "rambling", but the facts are pretty clear. The fact that a person is a great sailor does not make them an expert on the future direction of the sport, its popular appeal, and its marketing.

Except for you?

As I said, and as is clear by now, I'm a fan of SailGP. It's really that simple. You are welcome to your opinion, Curious. But it's not very compelling in the face of what's actually going on and what the actual great sailors are saying about it. So, I think you should take it up with them. I'll enjoy that conversation.

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

And I don't really care, as long as the commercial version is as friendly and amiable as the corinthian. Which it unfortunately isn't.

I don't see how you're drawing that conclusion. This is the very first season of SailGP. And their Inspire program is already one of the best I've seen for "friendly, amiable" outreach. What are you seeing that makes you think otherwise?

7 minutes ago, Rushman said:

@smackdaddy

How much is SailGP paying you to promote their product?

1 miiillllliion dollars - Zimbabwean. [cue music]

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Heh.

25 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

And their Inspire program is already one of the best I've seen

Firstly, the opinion of a dirty steenkin shill means nothing here, secondly ... what the fuck does that even mean?  It's pathetic.

source.gif

29 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I don't see how you're drawing that conclusion. This is the very first season of SailGP. And their Inspire program is already one of the best I've seen for "friendly, amiable" outreach. What are you seeing that makes you think otherwise?

Accreditation handling for a start 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

Accreditation handling for a start 

Ahhh - got it. Well, you have to remember that respect is always a 2-way street.

16 minutes ago, Rushman said:

@smackdaddy

How much is SailGP paying you to promote their product?

This guy is such a fucking egotist that he could not stop himself from letting everyone know that he has a contract with FailGP to shill for them.

I seen good ones, they are subtle, at first appear like an enthusiast, it takes a while to spot them and even then you aren't sure they are on the take.

But this cunt (smacksaddy) is shit at it, he was obvious from the second post.

Here's more of his kind.

8 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Ahhh - got it. Well, you have to remember that respect is always a 2-way street.

You're kidding now, right? 

Sailing Anarchy was super critical, even mean towards Alinghi, and it was easy to get an accreditation for AC33. You should have been here at that time. Same with the ACWS. 

SGP is really "special" in a not so good way.

Funni dis ... is that a vote?

SGPcount.jpg.b43ceffab006290126da0bfcf771c0bb.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

You're kidding now, right? 

Sailing Anarchy was super critical, even mean towards Alinghi, and it was easy to get an accreditation for AC33. You should have been here at that time. Same with the ACWS. 

SGP is really "special" in a not so good way.

Honestly, I just don't get all the animosity and bitterness. I've been around here long enough to watch a couple of AC iterations play out (do I remember an SAAC cup being passed around?). And I have certainly seen the overly wrought emotions on the various sides. But I've always thought it was all pretty silly.

As I've mentioned, the first time I saw the ACWS stuff in AC34 - I was hooked. It was clear to me that they had created something special - something that had real potential. I just had no idea where it would go from there. And now we know.

So, all the AC-fueled emotions and forum bravado aside, one can't very well demand "amicable, Corinthian" treatment if one only offers the opposite. Trust me - I know. I think SA's self-veiwpoint over the years is that racing needs it from a PR perspective. And I certainly think that's true for most of the broader events that are covered. But SailGP is a very different animal. It has set a new bar.

Now, whether it's successful in the long term certainly remains to be seen. But its success certainly doesn't depend on SA's FP - or even this little thread of mine. We are merely spectators on a forum.

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

But it's success certainly doesn't depend on SA's FP - or even this little thread of mine. We are merely spectators on a forum.

No, we are participants in this forum for free, you are a shill. 

Big difference.

@Rennmaus,

Literally no one cares what you say about SailGP.

SD,

Advice from a friend to you: Put Renn & Clew on ignore so you don't have to read their Posts. I will do so.

• Downvote 2

I don't have anyone "on ignore". I don't play that game. I just don't read or reply to stuff I'm not interested in.

One thing I find interesting from a media perspective is how JPN's aesthetic in their videos is quite different from the others. I hope that points toward how things will work out moving forward - with each team building its own brand - under the SailGP umbrella of course. That's common in major league sports - so I think it's a good move.

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@Rennmaus,

Literally no one cares what you say about SailGP.

SD,

Advice from a friend to you: Put Renn & Clew on ignore so you don't have to read their Posts. I will do so.

Yes, please do so.

• Like 1

Honestly, I just don't get all the animosity and bitterness. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Advice from a friend to you: Put Renn & Clew on ignore so you don't have to read their Posts. I will do so

Hahahaaaaaa

"Promise ... I will only put the head in"

And tp continue the hilarious TGIFest...we all know what to expect in Marseilles!

tenor.gif?itemid=5685912

Aaaaand goodnight.

What a little shit bowl this has become!!  

This forum is more childish and toxic than PA. I remember now why I stayed away last time. 

Renn, can you point me in the direction of any non-toxic ACA threads please? I’m just going to update my ignore list, starting with some of the posters above. 

One thing I find interesting from a media perspective is how JPN's aesthetic in their videos is quite different from the others. I hope that points toward how things will work out moving forward - with each team building its own brand - under the SailGP umbrella of course. That's common in major league sports - so I think it's a good move.

Larry: "We are coping shit from all over about this being a circus run under the one brand, those cunts over in SA are the main culprites as usual.  I want this fixed now."

Media Guy: "No worries, I'll start by using a different iMovie template for Japan.  That should fix it.  We can do the rest later."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mad said:

What a little shit bowl this has become!!  

This forum is more childish and toxic than PA. I remember now why I stayed away last time. 

Renn, can you point me in the direction of any non-toxic ACA threads please? I’m just going to update my ignore list, starting with some of the posters above. 

Oh dear, thanks for asking.
I kind of enjoy the TOR thread:

Unfortunately it looks like a dying race at the moment.
In AC Anarchy? I'm afraid there are no non-toxic discussions (have there ever been?). Maybe the ones about the technical sides of the AC, or the "speculation" threads about the new AC boats, incl. red circles, yellow lines and plastic chairs.
[/hijack]

• Like 1

Wow - 8K views in a little over a month for this little thread? I think that makes it something like the 2nd most viewed thread in the MH forum for 2019! Nice! Glad people are following along and enjoying.

Really looking forward to Marseilles. Sources tell me that they will be raffling off tickets for an opportunity to enter a Cognac-drinking contest on stage with "Biscuits". Don't miss it!

Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-1.28.10-PM.png

We're now officially right at 52 knots - with several boats (GBR, JPN, and AUS) now breaking the 50 knot barrier. It's getting crowded at the pinnacle of the sport! 60 next?

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-10.37.39-PM.pn

And a quick update on Biscuits as we count down to Marseilles...

bicsuits_01-1.png

And shade is being thrown! Click on the image for the comments. Those Ozzies are brutal!

70303045_529427697826148_781526803535835

Check out what people are saying (click image to go to page)...and especially pay attention to the younger people.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-1.46.43-PM-1.p

I don't see a lot of fear and handwringing. Heh.

And this is a great video of AUS to get an appreciation for the power and acceleration of these boats. Just incredible...

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-1.59.11-PM.png

On 8/13/2019 at 3:08 AM, smackdaddy said:

Wow - that is a GREAT article. Thanks Chesire. One of the things I went around on with the whingers is that these top speeds are coming from telemetry that factors out current, etc. They couldn't seem to get their heads around that...which, in retrospect, really isn't that surprising I suppose.

Phillippe does a great job explaining that - as well as why we are only STARTING to see the speed potential of these boats...

Definitely worth the read.

My earlier question still stands - for you hydroengineering types - how do you minimize cavitation? Possible?

Ta. When I was digesting that the immediate thought were potential issues with the AC75's since they would loose that rudder differential capability which seems critical in dynamic balancing and keeping that leeward bow under control. We might see a couple of innovations there. Agree, the 50's look as if they are just really at the beginning of a whole new development curve which is quite exciting.

• Like 1

That’s genius Kenny, could they sprinkle wall paper paste granules off the spin pole to thicken the water by the time the rudders go through

• Like 1

Here's a better look at how JPN dealt with the Cowes breakages. Looks like a very well-managed boat...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-03-at-9.47.11-AM.png

29 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

can't quell the thirst for info on this hot thread!

And yet here you are, Allen. Heh.

BTW - you never did explain why you're so bitter over this whole thing.

Interesting that the Japanese got on and found a solution to the busted pedestal and finished second over the three races. 

• Like 1

Yeah - Nathan and team really did an amazing job given that pedestal damage.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:51 AM, smackdaddy said:

And yet here you are, Allen. Heh.

BTW - you never did explain why you're so bitter over this whole thing.

I'm guessing that he balked at the head-job requirement.

So how was it?

Well, in all fairness, maybe a bit of a chapeau tip to FRA for the help?

Screen-Shot-2019-09-04-at-9.06.43-PM.png

Very cool to see the next generation in JPN - and them sailing the Waszp for the clinic...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-04-at-9.14.20-PM.png

69610855_2310293619300264_73898315101419

This is what it's all about...

• Like 1

Marseille...c'est magnifique!

Screen-Shot-2019-09-05-at-12.12.02-PM.pn

I bet even the racing will be pretty awesome.

Wow - Mr. Clean can be a major douchebag. I guess I knew that already. Is he mad because this little thread of mine already has more views in less than 2 months than almost any of the "hot threads" he has started over the past few years? Who knows? Heh.

Anyway - back to what matters. Great video here on the pathway to SailGP. I think the Waszp may be in our future.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-06-at-9.25.31-PM.png

I really think what the above video illustrates - along with the SailGP Inspire program...is, for the first time, a true pathway to elite sailing for FAR MORE SAILORS. Think about it, for eons now, it's been the AC, the VOR, the Vendee, etc. These have been the pinnacle of the sport. The problem has been cost and access. Cost has squeezed the access to professional sailing down to a tiny few...less than "1%ers" - if that. And a big driver of that has been the design aspect of these top-level programs. Who can really afford to design and build completely new boats every single series? It's asinine.

The destructive arc of this traditional approach has been clear. The VOR moved to the more affordable 65s to try to survive. It didn't really work out - because it was against the VOR's very DNA. TOR now has more teams interested across the various classes - but who knows if it will really survive as a viable race (business)? After all,  ALL these sailors and events are looking for corporate dollars - in HUGE amounts due to the above approach.

AC has become a purely corporate enterprise - the playground of billionaires. Nothing wrong with that really, I suppose it's been that way forever - but it's also dying on the vine right now. The "national pride" aspect is really just a charade at this point if you look at the money. Maybe the foiling-mono technology coming out of it will be good. But even that remains to be seen.

I think SailGP is the most viable model for the future of sailing. A one-design development model means the boats, already the fastest on the planet, will continually improve - but the costs are maintained. This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

The bottom line is this: It's all about cost and broadened interest and access. Period. It always is in business. And SailGP is just smart business. That's what makes it different...superior to what's come before. This is critical. Because if you want to be a professional sailor - the business plan is a pretty damn important consideration.

Sure, this is season 1. It very well may fail over the long term. But this is the smartest approach to professional sailing in a very, very long time. Whether you like cats or monos or whatever - it doesn't matter. Having an elite professional circuit like SailGP is about the best thing that could happen for sailing.

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

The bottom line is this: It's all about cost and broadened interest and access. Period. It always is in business. And SailGP is just smart business. That's what makes it different...superior to what's come before. This is critical. Because if you want to be a professional sailor - the business plan is a pretty damn important consideration.

Sure, this is season 1. It very well may fail over the long term. But this is the smartest approach to professional sailing in a very, very long time. Whether you like cats or monos or whatever - it doesn't matter. Having an elite professional circuit like SailGP is about the best thing that could happen for sailing.

When you say the one-design pro circuit approach is "business thinking, coming out of actual experience", which experience are you talking about?

Are you talking about the Ultimate Yacht Race pro circuit, which had one design OD14s, and had the "actual experience" of failure?

Do you refer to the Ultra 30 pro circuit, which was in one design Ultra 30s, and which had the "actual experience" of falling apart as an event?

Are you talking about the Formula One pro circuit in 52 footers, which (surprise surprise!) had the "actual experience" of collapse?

Do you mean the ProSail F40 cat pro circuit which (stop me if you've heard this) had the "actual experience" of dying?

Is it a reference to the ProSail Hobie 21s, which also had the "actual experience" of flopping?

Is the "actual experience" the end of the WMRT in foiling one design cats?

Or do you mean the GP 18 Foot Skiffs, 49ers or Superfoilers, which all had the "actual experience" of ceasing to be?

Could you mean the ESS, which had the "actual experience" of running its course and ending?

Since the "actual experience" is that pro circuits using ODs have failed time and time and time and time again, what "business experience" is going to be used to decide that it's a viable model? 

6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I really think what the above video illustrates - along with the SailGP Inspire program...is, for the first time, a true pathway to elite sailing for FAR MORE SAILORS. Think about it, for eons now, it's been the AC, the VOR, the Vendee, etc. These have been the pinnacle of the sport. The problem has been cost and access. Cost has squeezed the access to professional sailing down to a tiny few...less than "1%ers" - if that. And a big driver of that has been the design aspect of these top-level programs. Who can really afford to design and build completely new boats every single series? It's asinine.

The destructive arc of this traditional approach has been clear. The VOR moved to the more affordable 65s to try to survive. It didn't really work out - because it was against the VOR's very DNA. TOR now has more teams interested across the various classes - but who knows if it will really survive as a viable race (business)? After all,  ALL these sailors and events are looking for corporate dollars - in HUGE amounts due to the above approach.

AC has become a purely corporate enterprise - the playground of billionaires. Nothing wrong with that really, I suppose it's been that way forever - but it's also dying on the vine right now. The "national pride" aspect is really just a charade at this point if you look at the money. Maybe the foiling-mono technology coming out of it will be good. But even that remains to be seen.

I think SailGP is the most viable model for the future of sailing. A one-design development model means the boats, already the fastest on the planet, will continually improve - but the costs are maintained. This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

purple: This is contradictory. Either corporate or B's playground. It was the latter since the beginning (when Bs were Ms), the former since DC joined.
SGP is the former 100%.

Edit: Oh, and assuming SGP would be the pinnacle of the sport - ohoh, bold statement for a series that lives off the goodwill of a B. And "superior to what's come before"... Hahaha, superior to an event that's around since 10 years before the American Civil War???

Smackdaddy is consistently over the top. No need to argue each and every statement of his. Everyone is spending time on arguing with him -- here's the relevant cartoon - https://xkcd.com/386/

Back on planet Earth, SailGP is damn cool and interesting. Well produced. It's a significant incremental step over other (really good) regattas I've seen online, I think that's fair to say. Not perfect, but it raises the bar. We're spoiled for content in this era.

As an amateur foiling sailor, the push to sail speeds significantly past the onset of cavitation speeds is really interesting to me. They discuss foil behavior on these cats past 48 kt, catnip to me. Jody is hilarious and spot on for the commentary -- hopefully he does the AC as well. Generally, I hope they get traction with larger audiences so it's truly sustainable long term.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

purple: This is contradictory. Either corporate or B's playground. It was the latter since the beginning (when Bs were Ms), the former since DC joined.
SGP is the former 100%.

Edit: Oh, and assuming SGP would be the pinnacle of the sport - ohoh, bold statement for a series that lives off the goodwill of a B. And "superior to what's come before"... Hahaha, superior to an event that's around since 10 years before the American Civil War???

Actually, it's not contradictory at all. Those two are pretty inextricably linked these days. As for where and when the shift occurred, I'm not really an AC historian (I'd rather stick a needle in my eye)...but I do remember a proliferation of cars, beauty products, yogurt, lotteries, and beer featuring prominently on boats around 1992? Maybe you're talking Marlborough ciggies in 1987?

Sure there are very rich individuals still fueling things (as it has always been), but which direction do you want that rocket to travel when ignited? Where nation and club used to be face of the AC - now the boats are first and foremost corporate billboards. And that makes perfect sense when you follow the money. No complaint here - that's just what the AC is now.

But, if one appreciates the true Olympic-style national angle to top-tier sailing as opposed to the corporate/billionaire angle - one would be hard-pressed to argue against the direction the SailGP rocket is traveling, even when fueled by a corporate billionaire. One is a virtuous arc, the other - maybe not so much. That's my point.

Well, I'll leave you chaps to it. The boys and I are taking FIASCO! out today for some Multihull Exhilaration. And don't worry, we won't look anything like this...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-07-at-12.14.05-PM.pn

We will be sure, however, to say the prayer that all sailors say before going out: "Please help me sail like Curious. Amen." Heh.

You really are showing off your lack of honesty, SD.  I brought up the fact that I have sailed foilers because it was relevant to your patronising inference that I needed to be told about Moths and to your hyperbolic BS claims that they "redefine sailing".  I didn't claim to be some "god of sailing" and are a straight-out liar when infer I did.

It's just dishonest to make assumptions about people - like your assumption that we don't know about foilers, apparent wind sailing, etc - and then to bitch when they just point out that your assumptions are incorrect. Man up and stop being two faced.

• Like 2

SGPcount2.jpg.a102a17ab7cdf55f15d6c17826b8173a.jpg

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Marseille in 12 days now.

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/

What a great day on the water with my sons. Wow. If I could spend the next 12 days doing that - I'd be a very happy man!

And this little old Spirit 17 beachcat can scoot! She was weighed down with all 3 of us on, and we were able to hang with a couple of other performance cats for a bit. We're all getting the feel of her and learning to milk more speed. I've always been much more interested and involved in offshore sailing and racing - but this is pretty damn fun.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

And this little old Spirit 17 beachcat can scoot! She was weighed down with all 3 of us on, and we were able to hang with a couple of other performance cats for a bit.

This is your Spirit 17 we are talking about, right ??

image.png.32804a1d1a452e5fced6a7acf2c69466.png

Sounds like you have finally worked out how to mount it ;).

From....  http://bfsshop.com/fiasco/

5 hours ago, random said:

SGPcount2.jpg.a102a17ab7cdf55f15d6c17826b8173a.jpg

I usually don't respond to this moron - but I think this is an important point. The number of replies in a thread means nothing. Absolutely nothing. As I said in my blog post, the Circus thread is just repetitive bile, BS, and drivel from a small group of morons. Over and over and over again. Saying nothing - but posting, over and over and over again about something they don't like.

That's not "discussion" - that's psychosis. All I care about here is following this first season of SailGP and posting what I find to be of interest. I couldn't care less whether there are lots of "replies". It doesn't matter to me at all. If guys here want to talk, we'll talk.

People are interested in what I'm posting. They've said so - and the views of this thread prove it. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing - because I enjoy it. It interests me.

You guys knock yourselves out over there with your "replies". I'm not interested.

34 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Sounds like you have finally worked out how to mount it ;).

From....  http://bfsshop.com/fiasco/

Yep - that's her right after the boys and I finished the restore of the hulls. tramp, etc...with her original shredded sails that came with her. I posted the before photo on the first page or two of this thread. Seriously hot mess.

Here's what you and Curious don't seem to get. Having an informed (and valid) opinion on a spectator sport like SailGP - and its place within professional sailing - doesn't require decades of experience on any specific boat or boats. You guys seem to want that to be the case so you can feel like experts/authorities - but it's not the case, in this case.

As I mentioned above my own interest and experience has always been offshore racing and cruising - not inshore dinghies, cats, etc. And I've had lots of hard knocks along the way as I've tried new things in sailing. That's okay, I've learned a little here and there...and I'm content with all of it. Especially when I'm sailing with my boys. Nothing better in the world. I love this sport.

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan - not some "sailing god" who looks down on everyone else. I've never claimed to be a Curious - or maybe an Octopus. Though I am a "legend" of sorts, yes, I'm really just a fan who loves to watch incredible sailing, talk about it, try new things way out of my comfort zone, learn new boats and new techniques, and have fun as I go. I'm pretty sure that's what sailing is all about. The problem is I'm right most of the time - and that pisses people off. I get it. It's my cross to bear.

So, if you want to the play this game - show me your game Octo. I might be impressed. Otherwise you're just a forum poser - ahm - poster.

PS - Have you ever heard of or seen a 1973 Spirit 17 before? Seems like a very rare boat. I can't find much info on her. Maybe you or Curious know?

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

thread is just repetitive bile, BS, and drivel from a small group of morons. Over and over and over again. Saying nothing - but posting, over and over and over again

dont-be-so-hard-on-yourself-youre-doing-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

If you down a few stiff whiskies, imagine real hard, and suspend reality like SD does, it's almost like sailing an F50.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan -

giphy.gif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Yep - that's her right after the boys and I finished the restore of the hulls. tramp, etc...with her original shredded sails that came with her. I posted the before photo on the first page or two of this thread. Seriously hot mess.

Here's what you and Curious don't seem to get. Having an informed (and valid) opinion on a spectator sport like SailGP - and its place within professional sailing - doesn't require decades of experience on any specific boat or boats. You guys seem to want that to be the case so you can feel like experts/authorities - but it's not the case, in this case.

As I mentioned above my own interest and experience has always been offshore racing and cruising - not inshore dinghies, cats, etc. And I've had lots of hard knocks along the way as I've tried new things in sailing. That's okay, I've learned a little here and there...and I'm content with all of it. Especially when I'm sailing with my boys. Nothing better in the world. I love this sport.

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan - not some "sailing god" who looks down on everyone else. I've never claimed to be a Curious - or maybe an Octopus. Though I am a "legend" of sorts, yes, I'm really just a fan who loves to watch incredible sailing, talk about it, try new things way out of my comfort zone, learn new boats and new techniques, and have fun as I go. I'm pretty sure that's what sailing is all about. The problem is I'm right most of the time - and that pisses people off. I get it. It's my cross to bear.

So, if you want to the play this game - show me your game Octo. I might be impressed. Otherwise you're just a forum poser - ahm - poster.

PS - Have you ever heard of or seen a 1973 Spirit 17 before? Seems like a very rare boat. I can't find much info on her. Maybe you or Curious know?

Look, liar - try to be honest. I never claimed to be a sailing god. Every time you make that inference, you just lie again. How can you even pretend to have any credibility when you repeatedly lie on such a minor point?

As far as being a forum poser, the fuckwit who claims he's "right most of the time" , "a legend of sorts", and reckons he "tries new boats" but has apparently managed to not try a foiler, a fast cat, a board, or a fast mono is right up there with the worst of them. 

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

If you down a few stiff whiskies, imagine real hard, and suspend reality like SD does, it's almost like sailing an F50.

Until he drives it into the rocks, which he did on his first sail. 

6 minutes ago, Curious said:

Until he drives it into the rocks, which he did on his first sail. 

lol

I seriously have to ask what the fuck happened?!!  SailGP was pretty cool, but holy shitballs!!!!  I don’t even want to say anything nice about it for fear of being associated with that psychopath SD. I’m not sure what exactly is wrong with him, but this may be the first time one person single handedly killed a racing circuit. 

• Like 3