smackdaddy

SailGP 2019

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@Rennmaus,

Literally no one cares what you say about SailGP.

SD,

Advice from a friend to you: Put Renn & Clew on ignore so you don't have to read their Posts. I will do so.

Yes, please do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Honestly, I just don't get all the animosity and bitterness. 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Advice from a friend to you: Put Renn & Clew on ignore so you don't have to read their Posts. I will do so

Hahahaaaaaa

"Promise ... I will only put the head in"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And tp continue the hilarious TGIFest...we all know what to expect in Marseilles!

tenor.gif?itemid=5685912

Aaaaand goodnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a little shit bowl this has become!!  

This forum is more childish and toxic than PA. I remember now why I stayed away last time. 

Renn, can you point me in the direction of any non-toxic ACA threads please? I’m just going to update my ignore list, starting with some of the posters above. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

One thing I find interesting from a media perspective is how JPN's aesthetic in their videos is quite different from the others. I hope that points toward how things will work out moving forward - with each team building its own brand - under the SailGP umbrella of course. That's common in major league sports - so I think it's a good move.

Larry: "We are coping shit from all over about this being a circus run under the one brand, those cunts over in SA are the main culprites as usual.  I want this fixed now."

Media Guy: "No worries, I'll start by using a different iMovie template for Japan.  That should fix it.  We can do the rest later."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mad said:

What a little shit bowl this has become!!  

This forum is more childish and toxic than PA. I remember now why I stayed away last time. 

Renn, can you point me in the direction of any non-toxic ACA threads please? I’m just going to update my ignore list, starting with some of the posters above. 

Oh dear, thanks for asking.
I kind of enjoy the TOR thread:

Unfortunately it looks like a dying race at the moment.
In AC Anarchy? I'm afraid there are no non-toxic discussions (have there ever been?). Maybe the ones about the technical sides of the AC, or the "speculation" threads about the new AC boats, incl. red circles, yellow lines and plastic chairs.
[/hijack]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - 8K views in a little over a month for this little thread? I think that makes it something like the 2nd most viewed thread in the MH forum for 2019! Nice! Glad people are following along and enjoying.

Really looking forward to Marseilles. Sources tell me that they will be raffling off tickets for an opportunity to enter a Cognac-drinking contest on stage with "Biscuits". Don't miss it!

Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-1.28.10-PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're now officially right at 52 knots - with several boats (GBR, JPN, and AUS) now breaking the 50 knot barrier. It's getting crowded at the pinnacle of the sport! 60 next?

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-10.37.39-PM.pn

And a quick update on Biscuits as we count down to Marseilles...

bicsuits_01-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out what people are saying (click image to go to page)...and especially pay attention to the younger people.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-1.46.43-PM-1.p

I don't see a lot of fear and handwringing. Heh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is a great video of AUS to get an appreciation for the power and acceleration of these boats. Just incredible...

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-1.59.11-PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 3:08 AM, smackdaddy said:

Wow - that is a GREAT article. Thanks Chesire. One of the things I went around on with the whingers is that these top speeds are coming from telemetry that factors out current, etc. They couldn't seem to get their heads around that...which, in retrospect, really isn't that surprising I suppose.

Phillippe does a great job explaining that - as well as why we are only STARTING to see the speed potential of these boats...

Definitely worth the read.

My earlier question still stands - for you hydroengineering types - how do you minimize cavitation? Possible?

Ta. When I was digesting that the immediate thought were potential issues with the AC75's since they would loose that rudder differential capability which seems critical in dynamic balancing and keeping that leeward bow under control. We might see a couple of innovations there. Agree, the 50's look as if they are just really at the beginning of a whole new development curve which is quite exciting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s genius Kenny, could they sprinkle wall paper paste granules off the spin pole to thicken the water by the time the rudders go through

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

can't quell the thirst for info on this hot thread!

And yet here you are, Allen. Heh.

BTW - you never did explain why you're so bitter over this whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that the Japanese got on and found a solution to the busted pedestal and finished second over the three races. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 1:51 AM, smackdaddy said:

And yet here you are, Allen. Heh.

BTW - you never did explain why you're so bitter over this whole thing.

I'm guessing that he balked at the head-job requirement.

So how was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool to see the next generation in JPN - and them sailing the Waszp for the clinic...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-04-at-9.14.20-PM.png

69610855_2310293619300264_73898315101419

This is what it's all about...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - Mr. Clean can be a major douchebag. I guess I knew that already. Is he mad because this little thread of mine already has more views in less than 2 months than almost any of the "hot threads" he has started over the past few years? Who knows? Heh.

Anyway - back to what matters. Great video here on the pathway to SailGP. I think the Waszp may be in our future.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-06-at-9.25.31-PM.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think what the above video illustrates - along with the SailGP Inspire program...is, for the first time, a true pathway to elite sailing for FAR MORE SAILORS. Think about it, for eons now, it's been the AC, the VOR, the Vendee, etc. These have been the pinnacle of the sport. The problem has been cost and access. Cost has squeezed the access to professional sailing down to a tiny few...less than "1%ers" - if that. And a big driver of that has been the design aspect of these top-level programs. Who can really afford to design and build completely new boats every single series? It's asinine.

The destructive arc of this traditional approach has been clear. The VOR moved to the more affordable 65s to try to survive. It didn't really work out - because it was against the VOR's very DNA. TOR now has more teams interested across the various classes - but who knows if it will really survive as a viable race (business)? After all,  ALL these sailors and events are looking for corporate dollars - in HUGE amounts due to the above approach.

AC has become a purely corporate enterprise - the playground of billionaires. Nothing wrong with that really, I suppose it's been that way forever - but it's also dying on the vine right now. The "national pride" aspect is really just a charade at this point if you look at the money. Maybe the foiling-mono technology coming out of it will be good. But even that remains to be seen.

I think SailGP is the most viable model for the future of sailing. A one-design development model means the boats, already the fastest on the planet, will continually improve - but the costs are maintained. This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

The bottom line is this: It's all about cost and broadened interest and access. Period. It always is in business. And SailGP is just smart business. That's what makes it different...superior to what's come before. This is critical. Because if you want to be a professional sailor - the business plan is a pretty damn important consideration.

Sure, this is season 1. It very well may fail over the long term. But this is the smartest approach to professional sailing in a very, very long time. Whether you like cats or monos or whatever - it doesn't matter. Having an elite professional circuit like SailGP is about the best thing that could happen for sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

The bottom line is this: It's all about cost and broadened interest and access. Period. It always is in business. And SailGP is just smart business. That's what makes it different...superior to what's come before. This is critical. Because if you want to be a professional sailor - the business plan is a pretty damn important consideration.

Sure, this is season 1. It very well may fail over the long term. But this is the smartest approach to professional sailing in a very, very long time. Whether you like cats or monos or whatever - it doesn't matter. Having an elite professional circuit like SailGP is about the best thing that could happen for sailing.

When you say the one-design pro circuit approach is "business thinking, coming out of actual experience", which experience are you talking about?

Are you talking about the Ultimate Yacht Race pro circuit, which had one design OD14s, and had the "actual experience" of failure?

Do you refer to the Ultra 30 pro circuit, which was in one design Ultra 30s, and which had the "actual experience" of falling apart as an event?

Are you talking about the Formula One pro circuit in 52 footers, which (surprise surprise!) had the "actual experience" of collapse?

Do you mean the ProSail F40 cat pro circuit which (stop me if you've heard this) had the "actual experience" of dying?

Is it a reference to the ProSail Hobie 21s, which also had the "actual experience" of flopping?

Is the "actual experience" the end of the WMRT in foiling one design cats?

Or do you mean the GP 18 Foot Skiffs, 49ers or Superfoilers, which all had the "actual experience" of ceasing to be?

Could you mean the ESS, which had the "actual experience" of running its course and ending?

Since the "actual experience" is that pro circuits using ODs have failed time and time and time and time again, what "business experience" is going to be used to decide that it's a viable model? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I really think what the above video illustrates - along with the SailGP Inspire program...is, for the first time, a true pathway to elite sailing for FAR MORE SAILORS. Think about it, for eons now, it's been the AC, the VOR, the Vendee, etc. These have been the pinnacle of the sport. The problem has been cost and access. Cost has squeezed the access to professional sailing down to a tiny few...less than "1%ers" - if that. And a big driver of that has been the design aspect of these top-level programs. Who can really afford to design and build completely new boats every single series? It's asinine.

The destructive arc of this traditional approach has been clear. The VOR moved to the more affordable 65s to try to survive. It didn't really work out - because it was against the VOR's very DNA. TOR now has more teams interested across the various classes - but who knows if it will really survive as a viable race (business)? After all,  ALL these sailors and events are looking for corporate dollars - in HUGE amounts due to the above approach.

AC has become a purely corporate enterprise - the playground of billionaires. Nothing wrong with that really, I suppose it's been that way forever - but it's also dying on the vine right now. The "national pride" aspect is really just a charade at this point if you look at the money. Maybe the foiling-mono technology coming out of it will be good. But even that remains to be seen.

I think SailGP is the most viable model for the future of sailing. A one-design development model means the boats, already the fastest on the planet, will continually improve - but the costs are maintained. This is business thinking, coming out of actual experience - not ego thinking. But, more importantly, the global/national model and underlying feeder programs like you're seeing in Japan are really laying the foundation for the global future of professional sailing.

The bottom line is this: It's all about cost and broadened interest and access. Period. It always is in business. And SailGP is just smart business. That's what makes it different...superior to what's come before. This is critical. Because if you want to be a professional sailor - the business plan is a pretty damn important consideration.

Sure, this is season 1. It very well may fail over the long term. But this is the smartest approach to professional sailing in a very, very long time. Whether you like cats or monos or whatever - it doesn't matter. Having an elite professional circuit like SailGP is about the best thing that could happen for sailing.

purple: This is contradictory. Either corporate or B's playground. It was the latter since the beginning (when Bs were Ms), the former since DC joined.
SGP is the former 100%.

Edit: Oh, and assuming SGP would be the pinnacle of the sport - ohoh, bold statement for a series that lives off the goodwill of a B. And "superior to what's come before"... Hahaha, superior to an event that's around since 10 years before the American Civil War???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smackdaddy is consistently over the top. No need to argue each and every statement of his. Everyone is spending time on arguing with him -- here's the relevant cartoon - https://xkcd.com/386/

Back on planet Earth, SailGP is damn cool and interesting. Well produced. It's a significant incremental step over other (really good) regattas I've seen online, I think that's fair to say. Not perfect, but it raises the bar. We're spoiled for content in this era.

As an amateur foiling sailor, the push to sail speeds significantly past the onset of cavitation speeds is really interesting to me. They discuss foil behavior on these cats past 48 kt, catnip to me. Jody is hilarious and spot on for the commentary -- hopefully he does the AC as well. Generally, I hope they get traction with larger audiences so it's truly sustainable long term.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

purple: This is contradictory. Either corporate or B's playground. It was the latter since the beginning (when Bs were Ms), the former since DC joined.
SGP is the former 100%.

Edit: Oh, and assuming SGP would be the pinnacle of the sport - ohoh, bold statement for a series that lives off the goodwill of a B. And "superior to what's come before"... Hahaha, superior to an event that's around since 10 years before the American Civil War???

Actually, it's not contradictory at all. Those two are pretty inextricably linked these days. As for where and when the shift occurred, I'm not really an AC historian (I'd rather stick a needle in my eye)...but I do remember a proliferation of cars, beauty products, yogurt, lotteries, and beer featuring prominently on boats around 1992? Maybe you're talking Marlborough ciggies in 1987?

Sure there are very rich individuals still fueling things (as it has always been), but which direction do you want that rocket to travel when ignited? Where nation and club used to be face of the AC - now the boats are first and foremost corporate billboards. And that makes perfect sense when you follow the money. No complaint here - that's just what the AC is now.

But, if one appreciates the true Olympic-style national angle to top-tier sailing as opposed to the corporate/billionaire angle - one would be hard-pressed to argue against the direction the SailGP rocket is traveling, even when fueled by a corporate billionaire. One is a virtuous arc, the other - maybe not so much. That's my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'll leave you chaps to it. The boys and I are taking FIASCO! out today for some Multihull Exhilaration. And don't worry, we won't look anything like this...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-07-at-12.14.05-PM.pn

We will be sure, however, to say the prayer that all sailors say before going out: "Please help me sail like Curious. Amen." Heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really are showing off your lack of honesty, SD.  I brought up the fact that I have sailed foilers because it was relevant to your patronising inference that I needed to be told about Moths and to your hyperbolic BS claims that they "redefine sailing".  I didn't claim to be some "god of sailing" and are a straight-out liar when infer I did.

It's just dishonest to make assumptions about people - like your assumption that we don't know about foilers, apparent wind sailing, etc - and then to bitch when they just point out that your assumptions are incorrect. Man up and stop being two faced.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Marseille in 12 days now.

https://sailgp.com/races/marseille/

 

What a great day on the water with my sons. Wow. If I could spend the next 12 days doing that - I'd be a very happy man!

And this little old Spirit 17 beachcat can scoot! She was weighed down with all 3 of us on, and we were able to hang with a couple of other performance cats for a bit. We're all getting the feel of her and learning to milk more speed. I've always been much more interested and involved in offshore sailing and racing - but this is pretty damn fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

 

And this little old Spirit 17 beachcat can scoot! She was weighed down with all 3 of us on, and we were able to hang with a couple of other performance cats for a bit.

This is your Spirit 17 we are talking about, right ??

 

image.png.32804a1d1a452e5fced6a7acf2c69466.png

 

Sounds like you have finally worked out how to mount it ;).

From....  http://bfsshop.com/fiasco/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, random said:

SGPcount2.jpg.a102a17ab7cdf55f15d6c17826b8173a.jpg

 

I usually don't respond to this moron - but I think this is an important point. The number of replies in a thread means nothing. Absolutely nothing. As I said in my blog post, the Circus thread is just repetitive bile, BS, and drivel from a small group of morons. Over and over and over again. Saying nothing - but posting, over and over and over again about something they don't like.

That's not "discussion" - that's psychosis. All I care about here is following this first season of SailGP and posting what I find to be of interest. I couldn't care less whether there are lots of "replies". It doesn't matter to me at all. If guys here want to talk, we'll talk.

People are interested in what I'm posting. They've said so - and the views of this thread prove it. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing - because I enjoy it. It interests me.

You guys knock yourselves out over there with your "replies". I'm not interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

This is your Spirit 17 we are talking about, right ??

 

image.png.32804a1d1a452e5fced6a7acf2c69466.png

 

Sounds like you have finally worked out how to mount it ;).

From....  http://bfsshop.com/fiasco/

Yep - that's her right after the boys and I finished the restore of the hulls. tramp, etc...with her original shredded sails that came with her. I posted the before photo on the first page or two of this thread. Seriously hot mess.

Here's what you and Curious don't seem to get. Having an informed (and valid) opinion on a spectator sport like SailGP - and its place within professional sailing - doesn't require decades of experience on any specific boat or boats. You guys seem to want that to be the case so you can feel like experts/authorities - but it's not the case, in this case.

As I mentioned above my own interest and experience has always been offshore racing and cruising - not inshore dinghies, cats, etc. And I've had lots of hard knocks along the way as I've tried new things in sailing. That's okay, I've learned a little here and there...and I'm content with all of it. Especially when I'm sailing with my boys. Nothing better in the world. I love this sport.

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan - not some "sailing god" who looks down on everyone else. I've never claimed to be a Curious - or maybe an Octopus. Though I am a "legend" of sorts, yes, I'm really just a fan who loves to watch incredible sailing, talk about it, try new things way out of my comfort zone, learn new boats and new techniques, and have fun as I go. I'm pretty sure that's what sailing is all about. The problem is I'm right most of the time - and that pisses people off. I get it. It's my cross to bear.

So, if you want to the play this game - show me your game Octo. I might be impressed. Otherwise you're just a forum poser - ahm - poster.

PS - Have you ever heard of or seen a 1973 Spirit 17 before? Seems like a very rare boat. I can't find much info on her. Maybe you or Curious know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

thread is just repetitive bile, BS, and drivel from a small group of morons. Over and over and over again. Saying nothing - but posting, over and over and over again

dont-be-so-hard-on-yourself-youre-doing-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

This is your Spirit 17 we are talking about, right ??

 

image.png.32804a1d1a452e5fced6a7acf2c69466.png

If you down a few stiff whiskies, imagine real hard, and suspend reality like SD does, it's almost like sailing an F50.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan -

giphy.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Yep - that's her right after the boys and I finished the restore of the hulls. tramp, etc...with her original shredded sails that came with her. I posted the before photo on the first page or two of this thread. Seriously hot mess.

Here's what you and Curious don't seem to get. Having an informed (and valid) opinion on a spectator sport like SailGP - and its place within professional sailing - doesn't require decades of experience on any specific boat or boats. You guys seem to want that to be the case so you can feel like experts/authorities - but it's not the case, in this case.

As I mentioned above my own interest and experience has always been offshore racing and cruising - not inshore dinghies, cats, etc. And I've had lots of hard knocks along the way as I've tried new things in sailing. That's okay, I've learned a little here and there...and I'm content with all of it. Especially when I'm sailing with my boys. Nothing better in the world. I love this sport.

So, back to the subject, I'm simply  talking about SailGP as an informed fan - not some "sailing god" who looks down on everyone else. I've never claimed to be a Curious - or maybe an Octopus. Though I am a "legend" of sorts, yes, I'm really just a fan who loves to watch incredible sailing, talk about it, try new things way out of my comfort zone, learn new boats and new techniques, and have fun as I go. I'm pretty sure that's what sailing is all about. The problem is I'm right most of the time - and that pisses people off. I get it. It's my cross to bear.

So, if you want to the play this game - show me your game Octo. I might be impressed. Otherwise you're just a forum poser - ahm - poster.

PS - Have you ever heard of or seen a 1973 Spirit 17 before? Seems like a very rare boat. I can't find much info on her. Maybe you or Curious know?

Look, liar - try to be honest. I never claimed to be a sailing god. Every time you make that inference, you just lie again. How can you even pretend to have any credibility when you repeatedly lie on such a minor point?

As far as being a forum poser, the fuckwit who claims he's "right most of the time" , "a legend of sorts", and reckons he "tries new boats" but has apparently managed to not try a foiler, a fast cat, a board, or a fast mono is right up there with the worst of them. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

If you down a few stiff whiskies, imagine real hard, and suspend reality like SD does, it's almost like sailing an F50.

Until he drives it into the rocks, which he did on his first sail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously have to ask what the fuck happened?!!  SailGP was pretty cool, but holy shitballs!!!!  I don’t even want to say anything nice about it for fear of being associated with that psychopath SD. I’m not sure what exactly is wrong with him, but this may be the first time one person single handedly killed a racing circuit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m trying to remember, isn’t SD that ass bag that ruined his own boat because he was too dammed stupid to run a spring line?  It’s all starting to make sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Curious said:

Until he drives it into the rocks, which he did on his first sail. 

In the words of a sailing legend...

"Look, liar - try to be honest. [The story made it clear that I was not driving when the boat went onto the rocks. I was well and truly face-down in the water by that point.] Every time you make that inference, you just lie again. How can you even pretend to have any credibility when you repeatedly lie on such a minor point?"

And...

"...a foiler, a fast cat, a board, or a fast mono..."

Yes, we know, you're awesome, Curious. You've made it abundantly clear many times now (at least the list is getting a bit shorter).

And yet I'm still right about SailGP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

In the words of a sailing legend...

"Look, liar - try to be honest. [The story made it clear that I was not driving when the boat went onto the rocks. I was well and truly face-down in the water by that point.] Every time you make that inference, you just lie again. How can you even pretend to have any credibility when you repeatedly lie on such a minor point?"

And...

"...a foiler, a fast cat, a board, or a fast mono..."

Yes, we know, you're awesome, Curious. You've made it abundantly clear many times now (at least the list is getting a bit shorter).

And yet I'm still right about SailGP.

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I’m trying to remember, isn’t SD that ass bag that ruined his own boat because he was too dammed stupid to run a spring line?  It’s all starting to make sense. 

Yep. Have a look at his blog and also you'll see, amongst the spoutings of a seriously insane ego, the tale of how he didn't even manage to get his beach cat off the beach (after struggling to get the stick up) before he smashed it onto rocks.  Seriously; he can't even launch a beach cat and he believes he can lecture his audience on how foilers are different......

I just noticed that he admits in his blog that he didn't even know the SailGP series was on until after two events had been run. That's one of the weird things about him; he has so little knowledge and such a big ego.  There's nothing wrong with being inexperienced and not knowing much, but there is something wrong with not being honest enough to admit it, or honest in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed there are A LOT of groupies who follow me around, hanging on my every word. I'm honored...though also used to it by now.

I'd keep going, but I'm a little tired. Spent the 100+ degree afternoon working on a 5.11+ with my boys. Big weekend. Time for a nap.

I'll see what new goodies SailGP has for us in the next few days as we near la fin du grand début. Gonna be great! Stay tuned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I've noticed there are A LOT of groupies who follow me around, hanging on my every word. I'm honored...though also used to it by now.

I'd keep going, but I'm a little tired. Spent the 100+ degree afternoon working on a 5.11+ with my boys. Big weekend. Time for a nap.

I'll see what new goodies SailGP has for us in the next few days as we near la fin du grand début. Gonna be great! Stay tuned!

Don't run away!

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal? 

 
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That woman has a degree in marine architecture and sailed in the VOR. Maybe YOUR mindset needs redefining. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I know who she is, clew. Relax. My point is that when you see a data analyst getting the kind of attention and exposure Emily is getting for her particular efforts here, you know something has changed in sailing...for the better. The spotlight is widening. And people are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyrille Douillet gets attention, too. Can't recall if anyone refers to him as a data dude. But he was data analyst of the week a while back. Maybe you missed it.

Perhaps the point you meant to make but did not quite pull off is that data analytics are increasingly important in high end sailing? Your fans are no doubt sure you didn't mean that it was remarkable for women to be data analysts or for teams to hire women for technical jobs, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah, I know who she is, clew. Relax. My point is that when you see a data analyst getting the kind of attention and exposure Emily is getting for her particular efforts here, you know something has changed in sailing...for the better. The spotlight is widening. And people are interested.

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal?   People are interested.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good interview with Phil Robertson...

Quote

...Overall you get to appreciate just how incredible these machines are, and you don't want it end. I just wish I had one somewhere else to train on permanently, for they are hard to master, and there is nothing similar anywhere in the world to train on. We get an extra day, which is two hours more than Tom and Nathan, so that is a bonus.

Q: How have you gone with a 'development team'?

It's a massive challenge. Our Chinese crewmembers are all from a VOR background, which means a different mentality, person, effort and everything, as well as no foiling experience. James Wierzbowski and I had done stadium sailing with the foiling GC32s, but not the AC50s.

So it is a massive mix and stages along the curve, which makes learning as a group really hard. Because of our different backgrounds and subsequent knowledge sets you have to learn how to sail these boats, and then progress to mastering them, so as you mix it all together it is like a very delicate recipe.

Q: You lose another non-Chinese member next year.

(Huh - a nervous laugh from Robertson.) Given where we feel where we are it to just be here, it can feel like we have not even got a handle on it. Paul Campbell-James is on the wing, and James has Flight Control. Right now we are probably at 50%, as these craft are so hard to sail, foil, and manoeuvre correctly.

...

They are difficult to get around cleanly. It is like trying to fly a jet fighter when you have a single Cessna ticket. It is hard to describe what it is like, for every position is doing two or three roles at once: A foot for a button, and each and doing something else.

It is like we are magicians on board, juggling whilst you race around the track, and then you also have to think about where you are going and the next manoeuvre. The F50 demands co-ordination between all members just to be going 100%, and that's in a straight line.

Q: You recently did the A-Class Worlds.

Just doing more learning. This is a fantastic boat that foils upwind, so it is all relevant. The more diversity, the better it is for your personal growth, and it all transfers over to the F50.

SailGP is definitely an incredible series to be part of. We have done a lot of learning, and making inroads now. I am excited to see what happens with the future, which should be pretty great. The effort and whole show is unbelievable. This was the right move and we're on right track. Perhaps they may even have more teams?

Of course, according to Curious' "nothing is redefined" perspective, Phil must just suck at sailing I guess...like me.

Curious - can you post some photos or vids of your own "work"? Maybe you too Monkey? I think a lot of us - even Phil - could learn a great deal from The Greats. Seeing you both flawlessly "cranking up the foils" on a Moth the moment you first board it and then win every event you enter with all these different boats and boards will just be amazing. I'll be first in line to give you both HUGE kudos and TONS of respect.

After all, we don't even see wizardry like that in the top echelon of the sport like SailGP!

Heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, random said:

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal?   People are interested.

Mate, this was the last post on the page so you must have missed it.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Good interview with Phil Robertson...

Of course, according to Curious' "nothing is redefined" perspective, Phil must just suck at sailing I guess...like me.

Curious - can you post some photos or vids of your own "work"? Maybe you too Monkey? I think a lot of us - even Phil - could learn a great deal from The Greats. Seeing you both flawlessly "cranking up the foils" on a Moth the moment you first board it and then win every event you enter with all these different boats and boards will just be amazing. I'll be first in line to give you both HUGE kudos and TONS of respect.

After all, we don't even see wizardry like that in the top echelon of the sport like SailGP!

Heh.

If you weren't pitiful for your pretentiousness, you'd be loathsome for your lies. I never claimed to be a great.  If you were anything like a reasonable person, I'd post you some information privately but I'm dubious about doing it with a vile turd like you.

If you agree to actually be reasonable for once, I will do as you ask, but privately, if we can get some details worked out. But since you are such a lying piece of shit as to repeatedly claim that I'm a great when I have repeatedly said I'm not, I don't expect you'd have the guts to make an agreement and stick to it.

Sure, there are no similar boats and it's different from the VOR. Fine - there's no boats like the Ultimes, there were no boats like Open 60s before they came along, there was no boat like a seahugger narrow skiff Moth or a sinker windsurfer, there was no craft like the early Raceboard windsurfers. There have always been new craft, always will be. That does not redefine the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curious said:

If you weren't pitiful for your pretentiousness, you'd be loathsome for your lies. I never claimed to be a great.  If you were anything like a reasonable person, I'd post you some information privately but I'm dubious about doing it with a vile turd like you.

If you agree to actually be reasonable for once, I will do as you ask, but privately, if we can get some details worked out. But since you are such a lying piece of shit as to repeatedly claim that I'm a great when I have repeatedly said I'm not, I don't expect you'd have the guts to make an agreement and stick to it.

Sure, there are no similar boats and it's different from the VOR. Fine - there's no boats like the Ultimes, there were no boats like Open 60s before they came along, there was no boat like a seahugger narrow skiff Moth or a sinker windsurfer, there was no craft like the early Raceboard windsurfers. There have always been new craft, always will be. That does not redefine the sport.

(Impressive alliteration BTW) But....

Nah - as you can obviously tell, I don't do stuff in private. I never have. I'm clearly happy to share my own sailing successes and fiascos publicly. If it's a good story - I'll tell it. And that's because I'm very comfortable in my own sailing skin and don't take myself too seriously. And, more importantly, I only care about criticism from those I respect. So, back to the point...

You absolutely have claimed you're a "great" - even in this very thread. How about these greatest hits just as a start:

Personally I'm glad I'm older and I got to be involved in the sport when it was much bigger.

I'm sure you are.

May I ask - did you ever actually read about the Formula 40s, or sail on or against one? Did you sail an 18 Foot Skiff, Moth, Int Canoe, 505 or Tornado?  Did you do any of the televised pro racing that was happening as early as the '80s, or read about the various events?  Have you sat in the press room for a major pro event?  Do you know any of the guys racing in the recent ACs?  If you haven't done that sort of stuff, on what basis do you claim to be such an expert?

Judging by your logic and insistence on setting the narrative, I assume you've done all these things yourself?

Not really. You can hop aboard a foiling Moth, crank it up onto the foils and go sailing. You can do the same with other foilers. You use the same skills you use with a lowrider Moth, a skiff, a windsurfer, or a Laser. I've done it - have you? The techniques are, in many ways, generally quite familiar to sailors who have a very different background from sailing your Catalinas and similar boats (NTTAWWT). 

So apart from the pretty lame dig on me (I thought you didn't like that kind of thing), did you see what Phil was saying above about the F50s? The same things Nathan and Tom are saying? Which is the opposite of your repeated claims? Those guys ARE the greats, without question. But you can just hop on a moth from a Laser and crank it up onto the foils and go sailing? You must be WAY better than they are. And that's what I'd really like to see..this incredible prowess of yours....me being just a Catalina sailor and all.

There have always been boats that are beyond everything ever sailed before. The Bradmill/ Entrad generation of 18 Foot Skiffs was before anything ever sailed before, in many ways. So was the Tornado, the water-ballasted IMOCAs, the first generation of maxis after the IMS limit was dropped, the skinny Moths, the fat skiff Magnum type Moths, the early assymetric beach cats, etc etc etc. None of them really redefined sailing. 

By the way, how many of the boats in the list above have you ever sailed? 

I'm just impressed you've sailed them all.

Do you realise that's a 2010 vid, and that many of us had watched it and sailed foilers, 9ers etc before that vid came out? 

This is exactly what I'd like to see! You obviously have done it all! I'm ready to learn!

The first water ballasted wide IMOCAs were significantly quicker than older 60 foot singlehanded boats, but that didn't redefine the sport. They were fun to sail (have you tried them?) but they didn't redefine the sport..

And now IMOCAs and older 60s! Holy crap!

Oh for heaven's sake - I sail against one of the world's top foiling cat sailors most weekends.

How can you NOT be "a great"?

To use one example, beating Olympic veterans to win the national champs and finish top 3 in the world in a form of sailing does NOT necessarily mean that you know how that discipline should be marketed, what it may do for sailing, and how it may effect the sport - it just means that you can do it well.

Okay.

++++++

See what I mean? Look, here's the bottom line Curious - I don't care who you are. I just care what you (or anyone else) say in these threads. It's simply a discussion - a debate about something tangible and evident. Who you are in real life doesn't hold much sway if what you're saying is wrong in light of facts - regardless of how forceful you say it. For example, when you're making insistent claims on a forum that are diametrically opposed to what guys like Nathan, Phil, Tom, etc. are actually saying in real life - I have very, very little respect for those claims. The facts and these guys speak for themselves...though you've been working really hard herein to put your words in their mouths. And, despite your insanely lengthy CV, I'm pretty comfortable in the assumption that you've never sailed the F50?

The truth is, you've been trying to shape a narrative (across several threads now) that simply doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Even "forum posers" like me can see right through it. Though your prose is confusing at times, I generally understand what you're trying to say as you're telling the sailing world what it should think about all this. But it's simply wrong-minded.

As I've said, one doesn't have to be a sailing god to be right when it comes to evaluating the impact of an event like SailGP on the sailing world. The records and numbers and facts and crowds and testimonials are all right there in front of ones eyes if they care to look. Everything else is just smoke...or BS.

So, I showed mine. Now show yours and I'll give you whatever level of respect it deserves. Judging by the above claims, it's gonna be a great show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, random said:

Don't run away!

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal? 

 
  •  

Jeeeesussss , answer the question Mr Smackdaddy, we are all waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. The rules on SA are that if I ever out myself, anyone else can do so, and I don't want that.  So I went to your profile and offered to post some pics and vids and other stuff privately to a third person of your choice, to show my bona fides. All I asked in return was the promise that if I showed them that your insults were unwarranted, you would unreservedly apologise.  The fact that you haven't accepted the offer shows that your cowardice matches your ignorance and dishonesty.

The thing is that it's never been about me - you are the one who made it about me.  The issue here is that you are not just ignorant about many aspects of sailing, but also ignorant about the fact that lots of other people - not legends, just sailors - have sailed lots of fast boats and therefore know that you lie when you say things such as that the Moth is "an entirely different skill-set". There are plenty of accounts or vids of guys hopping onto a Moth or other foiler for the first time, and foiling. The reason they can do this is because it is not "an entirely different skill-set" as you claim.

Here's two young girls hopping in a foiling cat and flying for the first time;

Here's another guy on a foiling cat for the first time,

Here's a guy who foiled once before on a different boat;

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here's a pretty accomplished Snipe, Melges, and Sunfish Worlds sailor giving it a go for the first time...

Getting up on the foils is one thing - doing it really well while pushing real speed is another thing altogether. And this is my point and it is exactly what Tom, Nathan, Phil, and many others are saying...despite all your protestations.

Methinks your own bar is just WAY too low. If everyone can do everything - nothing is hard. That's just not what these sailors are saying. it's only you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom also said sailing an Etchells was "all new", "a real eye opener",and "amazing".  

I never said the SailGP boats were easy to sail,  that everyone can doing everything, or that someone from a Sunfish/Snipe background can just hop onto a Moth. I said that the techniques were "in some ways quite familiar depending on what you've sailed before" and that you can hop on and foil, as Jack Sherring showed in the top vid. You then ignored the proviso and then twisted my words, which is par for your course.

The fact that you are so dishonest, such a liar that you say I claimed to be a legend, and so cowardly as to refuse to discuss it in private, shows that you are a vile person and not worth dealing with any more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, random said:
On 9/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, random said:

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal?   People are interested.

Mate, this was the last post on the page so you must have missed it.

I'm beginning to get the impression that you are avoiding answering the question mate.

Now why would that be?

quizzical-man-raising-eyebrow-portrait-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Curious said:

Tom also said sailing an Etchells was "all new", "a real eye opener",and "amazing".  

I never said the SailGP boats were easy to sail,  that everyone can doing everything, or that someone from a Sunfish/Snipe background can just hop onto a Moth. I said that the techniques were "in some ways quite familiar depending on what you've sailed before" and that you can hop on and foil, as Jack Sherring showed in the top vid. You then ignored the proviso and then twisted my words, which is par for your course.

The fact that you are so dishonest, such a liar that you say I claimed to be a legend, and so cowardly as to refuse to discuss it in private, shows that you are a vile person and not worth dealing with any more.

 

You're right, I'm definitely not worth dealing with anymore if you can't keep your statements straight and always keep moving the goalposts when you get cornered. Here is exactly what you said - among many other similar things (above) which is why I've been addressing you at all...

Not really. You can hop aboard a foiling Moth, crank it up onto the foils and go sailing. You can do the same with other foilers. You use the same skills you use with a lowrider Moth, a skiff, a windsurfer, or a Laser. I've done it - have you? The techniques are, in many ways, generally quite familiar to sailors who have a very different background from sailing your Catalinas and similar boats (NTTAWWT). 

Hardly any of what you've been saying holds up under scrutiny. Here's a tip - if you can be factual, and back up what you claim - it helps a lot in a debate.

In the mean time, I and most other reasonable people, will listen to the actual sailors and simply believe our eyes as to how to think about SailGP, the F50s, foiling, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This onboard with FRA is VERY interesting. You'll see after they stuff it that someone (BB?) says they have to stop flying the boat because they have taken on water. Though I've not really thought of that, it makes perfect sense. If you add a huge amount of weight (especially unbalanced, moving weight) everything is much more loaded. And with boats like the F50 which are right at limits - that can be a really bad thing.

Pretty cool learning from the masters...

Screen-Shot-2019-09-10-at-12.27.54-PM.pn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, smackdaddy said:

Yeah, I know who she is, clew. Relax. My point is that when you see a data analyst getting the kind of attention and exposure Emily is getting for her particular efforts here, you know something has changed in sailing...for the better. The spotlight is widening. And people are interested.

I 100% agree!

It changed 2 Years and 3 months ago! At least to the prolly Clowns who knew shit about shit

https://livesaildie.com/elise-beavis-etnz-performance-engineer/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 6:32 AM, smackdaddy said:

Wow - 8K views in a little over a month for this little thread? I think that makes it something like the 2nd most viewed thread in the MH forum for 2019! Nice! Glad people are following along and enjoying.

Really looking forward to Marseilles. Sources tell me that they will be raffling off tickets for an opportunity to enter a Cognac-drinking contest on stage with "Biscuits". Don't miss it!

Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-1.28.10-PM.png

I agree 100% people sure do like to watch you take your Medicine! it is like Watching a runt get mauled by a pack of WildCats - If only FailGP was Half as interesting as you sideshow! Enjoy the Strudels! :-D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

You're right, I'm definitely not worth dealing with anymore if you can't keep your statements straight and always keep moving the goalposts when you get cornered. Here is exactly what you said - among many other similar things (above) which is why I've been addressing you at all...

Not really. You can hop aboard a foiling Moth, crank it up onto the foils and go sailing. You can do the same with other foilers. You use the same skills you use with a lowrider Moth, a skiff, a windsurfer, or a Laser. I've done it - have you? The techniques are, in many ways, generally quite familiar to sailors who have a very different background from sailing your Catalinas and similar boats (NTTAWWT). 

Hardly any of what you've been saying holds up under scrutiny. Here's a tip - if you can be factual, and back up what you claim - it helps a lot in a debate.

In the mean time, I and most other reasonable people, will listen to the actual sailors and simply believe our eyes as to how to think about SailGP, the F50s, foiling, etc.

So you argue with Curious but not me?  I'm starting to feel a bit sad about being left out.

So how about ...

I heard a rumour that you are an employee of Core Composites, is that correct?

I don't mind businesses pimping their stuff in the open, but it's just fucking dishonest if you are an employee who's job it is to PR the gig.  That does not reflect well on the company or the event.

So what's the deal?   People are interested.

quizzical-man-raising-eyebrow-portrait-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long till racing starts again then we will have proper entertainment again, I don’t see what difference it makes as to what boat Smack owns or sails, he’s done a good job of putting info forward and if it turns out that’s part of his job I’d say well done because it’s been done well. All you haters have done nothing to further your cause you’ve just kept the thread near the top until this last race series. You haters need to realize that we have tight racing around 50 knots with these boats and you’d better hope your AC monos show more because foiling is not restricted by the hull once you pop your credibility is on the line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

if it turns out that’s part of his job I’d say well done because it’s been done well.

So you are saying it's his job?

He's annoyed the fuck outta me obviously.  A real pro would have promoted it without that.

I still want him to answer the question.  I fucking hate deception.

Edit: But I see he has prepared well and incubated and few socks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, random said:

So you are saying it's his job?

He's annoyed the fuck outta me obviously.  A real pro would have promoted it without that.

I still want him to answer the question.  I fucking hate deception.

You are a rude obnoxious person and no one owes you anything, you are obviously trying to twist my words. If you find this thread annoying then fuck off out of it you dumb cunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, madboutcats said:

You are a rude obnoxious person and no one owes you anything, you are obviously trying to twist my words. If you find this thread annoying then fuck off out of it you dumb cunt

No need to be like that Smacky.  Not nice at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

You haters need to realize that we have tight racing around 50 knots

The racing hasn't been that tight. At Cowes Slingers got in front and stayed there. Gaps closing up because someone drops off the foils and sits dead in the water is not tight racing.

8 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

you’d better hope your AC monos show more

Don't need to hope, it's the America's Cup, and the monos are looking just fine.

11 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

he’s done a good job of putting info forward

No he hasn't. He's pissed off a lot of people with his patronizing, fuck knuckle style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

He's pissed off a lot of people...

I've pissed off precisely the right people around here.

70264210_538024246966493_675140851449462

If one isn't an "Aqua Bag" - one doesn't get smacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

I've pissed off precisely the right people around here.

It's tempting to say you've redefined pissing people off. That you are the future of pissing people off. That would engender more credit than you're worthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites