smackdaddy

SailGP 2019

Tom and Nathan are rolling their eyes at you - even though you've apparently been on the water longer than both of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Tom and Nathan are rolling their eyes at you - even though you've apparently been on the water longer than both of them.

I certainly have been on the water longer than them.

And you wouldn't have a clew what their eyes were doing.  I suspect they can pick a fuckwit a mile off.

• Like 1

SmackDaddy,

I d love you could tell me why the Full Replay for Cowes are not available for free on Youtube like the for SF or NY ?

As a Froggy, I d like to know if SailGP 2019 organization has a good insurance to cover all risks, for all sailors involved?

Because you know, basically Marseille is a bit our "South Central"

Every year Marseille wins the NKC (National Kalach* Cup): The number of murder by guns.

But of course Marseille is dwarfed by US figures by far.

*Kalach=AK47

Fair Winds Mate

EK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erwankerauzen said:

I d love you could tell me why the Full Replay for Cowes are not available for free on Youtube like the for SF or NY ?

They want to harvest your personal information from the app so that;

1. they can sell it
  2. they can spam you relentlessly when the AC is on

15 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Not mistaken about the leg humping unless you want to claim that as a regular thing for all comers?

15 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, obviously that's a joke...to a degree.

The way I see it - if people who say they can't stand you keep following you around to tell you they can't stand you after they've told you to go somewhere else - and you have - I don't know what else to call it. In this regard, there seem to be quite a few Shih Tzus energetically going after my very well-toned calf these days.

But as you might imagine, I'm very used to that. There's a lot to love here.

15 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

So, as I say, if it's a conversation - cool, let's talk. If it's a roastfest, I can do that too...pretty well.

Not clear that style and tone is the best way to encourage "conversation."  But it may be optimal for the purposes of this thread? 

Best wishes for view generation so your community can properly value your style and contributions. 

• Like 1

So - races in Marseille are coming up. What I'll be watching for:

• Australia vs Japan, in particular whether there are any cheeky moves like the squeeze of Australia out of the finish line in SFO. 
  • Gear breakages -- mostly for Japan. I assume the shared hardware team is reinforcing stuff. 
  • GBR vs USA
  • Can France find its pace?

The 1M price is a silly gimmick; I hope to see these folks having a good time. I'll go out and dig Biscayne Bay, maybe they'll bring'em to Miami. M32s race here, it can't be that hard ;-) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

So - races in Marseille are coming up. What I'll be watching for:

• Australia vs Japan, in particular whether there are any cheeky moves like the squeeze of Australia out of the finish line in SFO. 
    • I agree...the only way for Nathan to beat Tom is to stay close and harass him. I think Nathan has shown to be the better tactician - but Tom is just smoking everyone in terms of speed and stability. He forces everyone else to make mistakes.
  • Gear breakages -- mostly for Japan. I assume the shared hardware team is reinforcing stuff. 
    • Yeah, I wonder what modifications are being made to all 6 boats? The most common problem seems to be the pedestal - but that's because bodies are slamming into at 40+ knots. I think if it's sporty, there will be breakages. That's just racing.
  • GBR vs USA
    • I'm definitely a USA fan. But I also think Rome has just gotten lucky to be ahead of GBR due to their withdrawal. He hasn't yet shown the ability to be really fast and really stable. GBR has - they just lost it big that last time.
  • Can France find its pace?
    • My bet is yes. I think a lot of people have really grown to like this team. And they are obviously top-notch sailors. Just a matter of time.

The 1M price is a silly gimmick; I hope to see these folks having a good time. I'll go out and dig Biscayne Bay, maybe they'll bring'em to Miami. M32s race here, it can't be that hard ;-) 

As for the $1M - it's definitely no "silly gimmick". Just listen to the skippers talk about it in these videos. Tom said the most money he's ever sailed for is $400. And he said it's a true motivator.

This idea that sailing can ONLY be "Corinthian" is just rubbish. It's hypocritical on many levels - especially in the top tiers of the sport where you're just a "journeyman". Professional sailing like SailGP is as valid as it is needed. The opportunity for sailors to sail for their OWN payday instead of simply relying on a rich benefactor or coporation is long, long overdue.

SailGP is the right model. Yes, I understand that it's early days and that $1M is still coming from a "rich benefactor". BUT, that benefactor is supporting all 6 teams equally right now with the model to move that support to the participating countries (at a very reasonable price tag).  It is the right business model and the right "ethical" model.

I totally understand there are LOTS of people out there who will be uncomfortable with it - but I think that is mostly for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

As for the $1M - it's definitely no "silly gimmick". Just listen to the skippers talk about it in these videos. Tom said the most money he's ever sailed for is $400. And he said it's a true motivator

Slingsby also said that it'll go straight back into preparing for season 2 if they win it, e.g. I'm assuming will fund their training etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erwankerauzen said:

SmackDaddy,

I see the full Day 2 races on YT (see below). They are also on Facebook.

As a Froggy, I d like to know if SailGP 2019 organization has a good insurance to cover all risks, for all sailors involved?

No clue. But I would certainly bet they do. That's not something you overlook. Oh, wait, you mean "risk by thuggery"?

Because you know, basically Marseille is a bit our "South Central"

Every year Marseille wins the NKC (National Kalach* Cup): The number of murder by guns.

But of course Marseille is dwarfed by US figures by far.

*Kalach=AK47

So you're saying they're gonna get shanked/sprayed in St. Victor? That's nice. Yeah I don't know about that kind of coverage.

But you're right - I don't think there is any country on earth as awash in guns as we are in the US. Maybe we take the KC Worlds? It would be a close race between us and maybe Syria or Afghanistan. Those guys bring it.

Fair Winds Mate

EK

Screen-Shot-2019-09-18-at-10.24.59-AM.pn

Cheers EK.

1 minute ago, JonRowe said:

Slingsby also said that it'll go straight back into preparing for season 2 if they win it, e.g. I'm assuming will fund their training etc

Yeah, in one of the NY vids, it showed the sailors going round to various organizations pitching for support. With a reported $5M annual budget for these programs - that should be totally doable via national and corporate-national support.

Season 2 is only a few months away. So they'll go right back in.

In that regard, I'll be very interested to see how the time on the water ratios work themselves out over time. I have a hunch that rule will be relaxed - but for now there are just too many variables to consider and a lid needs to be kept on it.

Anyway, lots to watch as this all plays out.

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Not clear that style and tone is the best way to encourage "conversation."  But it may be optimal for the purposes of this thread? 

Best wishes for view generation so your community can properly value your style and contributions. 

I don't care about style and tone. Do I complain about yours?

Just say what you want to say, do what you want to do, and stop trying to force others to fit your own view of propriety. I would think you of all people would get that.

16 hours ago, Erwankerauzen said:

As a Froggy,

Erwan, with a name like yours you shouldn't insult yourself by calling yourself a froggy. And you should love Sailgp, I guess you know why...

What's the story on the Japan DSQ in the practice? It didn't look like a long time had passed between the penalty flag and the DSQ, but it may have been the editing?

They got a boundary penalty at the start. Shirley said over early but you could not see that on the video, all looked clean. Maybe the graphics were off compared to umpire display off boat data. Then they did not get behind UK until half way thru the leg, displeasing umpires who said they would have like to see it sooner. 

2 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

What's the story on the Japan DSQ in the practice? It didn't look like a long time had passed between the penalty flag and the DSQ, but it may have been the editing?

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

They got a boundary penalty at the start. Shirley said over early but you could not see that on the video, all looked clean. Maybe the graphics were off compared to umpire display off boat data. Then they did not get behind UK until half way thru the leg, displeasing umpires who said they would have like to see it sooner. 

I got that much but in other races we saw folks taking a long time to clear their penalities, without dsq. Thinking of France for example...

Didn't that happen to the Aussies in Cowes? (the start penalty) maybe they've not fixed the software "feature" where you can't see the boundaries pre-start!

10 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

No one here gives a flying fuck mate.

No one here can even see it, even if we wanted to.

Has there ever been an official explanation about the ridiculous geo-blocking? 

1 minute ago, mad said:

Licensing rights, in the UK BT Sport has paid for the rights, in Aus its Foxtel, simply money making.

Hiding chatter about the live stream in spoiler tags!

Damage to the USA dagger foil in race 1! Not starting race 2, seems Nathan beat out Tommy in race 1? Tommy still not quite on form in Race 2!

Tommy proves me wrong and smashes leg 3 to get back on top :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Damage to the USA dagger foil in race 1! Not starting race 2, seems Nathan beat out Tommy in race 1?

Reveal hidden contents

Damage to the USA dagger foil in race 1! Not starting race 2, seems Nathan beat out Tommy in race 1?

0D8B0221-3968-49AC-85C3-8676F44A5B3E.thumb.jpeg.e80bfce5dc74701d817f3d32e3bb2fd9.jpeg

Fark, well this is why I dislike Foxtel ;) can you get the app at least?

Slingers still in the lead after leg 4, Japan have dropped right back, broken something?

Dude, it's too damn early. I usually sleep til noon.

Watching race 2 now. Really tight racing. USA is broken - don't know what's up. JPN/AUS/CHN are really battling.

I'll post my world-renown recap after my morning massage.

23 minutes ago, mad said:

It's just certain individuals.

2 minutes ago, Rumpig said:

Have managed to get it on the sail gp website, shit quality though

Looks incredible on the app.

Lisa talking up the battle for 3rd overall, but TBH the USA were gifted the spot in Cowes by GBR crashing, so Dylan taking it back is just right IMO and if he can keep it locked down I seem them being on the podium.

1 minute ago, smackdaddy said:

Wow - very aggressive.

But Tommy back on top after the mark, didn't think they'd make that!

Just now, smackdaddy said:

Drunk super-yachter bumbling around the course. Love it.

It's a Sail GP boat, had the branding on?

Race results not reflecting the overall performance, but has to be worrying Tommy that he can't seem to battle Nathan 1 on 1

App was perfect with the live feed. Video and data were flawless. Pretty amazing kit.

Okay, Ulla just drove up - time for my massage.

Do the rules specify max wind for the races ?

They do not have "high wind" wings right ?

Looks tough for running tomorow and Sunday

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Do the rules specify max wind for the races ?

They do not have "high wind" wings right ?

Looks tough for running tomorow and Sunday

That's a good question. I don't know if they have the heavy wings or not. I've not seen any talk about it. And I also don't know what the official max wind is. But, after Cowes, it's gotta be up there.

Woo Hoo!  Awesome sail racing, these boats are HOT and so well sailed.  The entire series of events and media coverage has been excellent.

I've added several of the whiny bitches on this thread to my ignore list, along with provocateur Smackface who has been there for years.  Ignore all trolls and enjoy the superb sailing!

Heh. Couldn't resist there ProA? Nothing says "whiny bitch" more than listing ones ignore list.

No matter. Glad you're enjoying my thread. It is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yl75 said:

No in Paris (hence 75) wish I was though

Ah. Well you're a lot closer than I am you lucky bastard! Heh.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. Could be Cowes-level racing.

It's interesting to see how this is rolling out across the various channels...

Youtube replay is up...

Facebook replay looks like it starts with race 2

Screen-Shot-2019-09-20-at-10.07.50-AM.pn

And the app is still showing "Replay Soon".

Facebook and youtube replays geoblocked in France ...

Today's races were live on dailymotion, I caught the end of race 3, but no live replay available.

They really try hard to avoid any audience !!

(or probably due to canal+ having the rights in France)

For tomorow and sunday is is Easterly wind, not Mistral, so the weather will also be a bit shitty probably, but on the other hand the race course should be quite a bit shielded from the wind (would not be the case for Mistral)

6 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Facebook and youtube replays geoblocked in France ...

Today's races were live on dailymotion, I caught the end of race 3, but no live replay available.

They really try hard to avoid any audience !!

(or probably due to canal+ having the rights in France)

For tomorow and sunday is is Easterly wind, not Mistral, so the weather will also be a bit shitty probably, but on the other hand the race course should be quite a bit shielded from the wind (would not be the case for Mistral)

Yeah - it's been interesting watching how the TV rights vs. social channels are playing out. I can completely understand the GEO-blocking in these race regions - and the handful of annoying individuals that are being blocked - but honestly, it also shows there's more demand. The TV audience has to be built. So that's just the price of being interested in the race I think.

So far, the app has proven to be the best overall experience. If they are smart, they'll keep the social channels somewhat throttled and build out the TV and app channels more. At least for now.

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

SailGP Media Team have done a boatload of shit here. Half of Race 1 is non-existent on the Tube Replay:(

See my post above. Regardless, remember that what you're seeing on Youtube is raw feed...with the TV portion being the heart of that feed. It's the same with what you're seeing on FB.

But the app is also geoblocked in France ! (for the live and replays)

If at least they had an offer to buy live coverage in the app it would be ok, but being forced to subscribe to canal+, no way for me.

Overall the push for everything subscription based these days (as opposed to pay per view) is quite disgusting

15 minutes ago, yl75 said:

But the app is also geoblocked in France ! (for the live and replays)

If at least they had an offer to buy live coverage in the app it would be ok, but being forced to subscribe to canal+, no way for me.

Overall the push for everything subscription based these days (as opposed to pay per view) is quite disgusting

Well, generally I agree with you. But I also subscribe to stuff like Netflix, Amazon, etc. - and I've paid pretty good money for lots of apps I use in sailing as well. If it's good content that I have control over (unlike cable/satellite channels) - and the price is reasonable - I'll pony up.

Again, longer term, if I were running the show (and I almost am when you think about it) - I would keep building the app audience, then start charging a nominal fee for it down the line. Again, the content would have to be continual and very good (which it already is to a large degree) - but I'd pay a little for it. Then the GEO-blocking becomes less of an issue.

For the most part, at least for a good chunk of newer content, TV today is a pay-to-play model. There is a very finite supply of slots and they use that to their advantage (an advantage that is eroding precisely because of things like the SailGP app). If the audience builds for your content, that dynamic obviously changes. But these channels want that exclusivity. It's just part of the deal.

So, we'll see what happens.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

They could easily take the complete Race 1 from the App and insert/edit into the YouTube Replay. That's easy to do. Then we would have all 3 Races.

Maybe you know something I don't. But have you ever cut, bumpered, corrected, output, compressed, and pushed several hours of video? I have - and I wouldn't call it "easy".

coming in late to this: how do i watch the race from the good ol' u s of a?

also: what app are you referring to?

In interesting bit is now they have the option of "not racing" tomorrow to save the boat, but I bet they both do because if Sunday is blown off then the series leader takes the prize.